Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If it helps for future tellings of the story, “fiancée” is feminine and “fiancé” is masculine.

poo poo. English is hard. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

poo poo. English is hard. Sorry.

Imported French words, putting genders on good American non-gendered words.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Subjunctive posted:

If it helps for future tellings of the story, “fiancée” is feminine and “fiancé” is masculine.

I didn't know this factoid and probably most english speakers don't either. Also they're apparently even pronounced the same, so lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BMan posted:

I didn't know this factoid and probably most english speakers don't either. Also they're apparently even pronounced the same, so lol

How do you feel about blonde and blond? (That is weirder, I admit.)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I say we bring out another french invention, the guillotine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BMan posted:

Not a French invention!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
guillotine, guillotin

we're all deffo pretty far ahead in line for it in this here thread

(german-french)

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

BMan posted:

Factoid means "false fact", not "small fact". Factoids are untrue by definition. For example, "you only use 10% of your brain". :eng101:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BMan posted:

Guillotinée

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Oh so you're going to assume its gender now, are you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Devian666 posted:

Especially if you have a horse dick, then you need to get the lumps of smegma out of your dick eye so you can piss.

I have to wonder how horses survive in the wild, but iirc racehorses are basically the purebred genetic disaster dogs of the horse world.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have to wonder how horses survive in the wild, but iirc racehorses are basically the purebred genetic disaster dogs of the horse world.

They probably don't (survive in the wild). Feral animals usually live about half as long as their domesticated versions.

Go out to the Great Plains and there's probably loads of miserable horses suffering from smegma related illnesses.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Half price tickets if you go before noon! :munch:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

They probably don't (survive in the wild). Feral animals usually live about half as long as their domesticated versions.

They're doing just fine in the outer banks. But of course they aren't selectively inbred and don't have access to molasses-covered grains that can literally kill them if they eat too much and aren't (prey animals) stuck inside of an artificial enclosure (which is what leads to a lot of injury-causing freak outs).

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Morholt posted:

Factoid means "false fact", not "small fact". Factoids are untrue by definition. For example, "you only use 10% of your brain". :eng101:

"Factoid means a false fact" is a factoid in that sense, and the Oxford dictionary gives both the definitions of "false fact" and "small fact". "Small fact" is particularly common and perhaps the more common usage in American English. It's possible even that the most common usage of the "false fact" definition is when incorrectly correcting others using the "small fact" definition.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's a population of feral horses on Cumberland Island (GA) that's loving miserable and infected with all sorts of parasites and diseases, and apparently they even suffer from over-consumption of sand. Wildlife managers want to cull the herd, but the public is horrified by the idea, so they just continue to live their lovely short lives on the island so that people can take instagram photos of them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

"Factoid means a false fact" is a factoid in that sense, and the Oxford dictionary gives both the definitions of "false fact" and "small fact". "Small fact" is particularly common and perhaps the more common usage in American English. It's possible even that the most common usage of the "false fact" definition is when incorrectly correcting others using the "small fact" definition.

Next you're going to be telling me that inflammable and flammable don't mean different things.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's a population of feral horses on Cumberland Island (GA) that's loving miserable and infected with all sorts of parasites and diseases, and apparently they even suffer from over-consumption of sand. Wildlife managers want to cull the herd, but the public is horrified by the idea, so they just continue to live their lovely short lives on the island so that people can take instagram photos of them.

This seems like a factoid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Either usage of factoid is perfectly cromulent.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't really think that we have any wild horses as such left in the world; there are horses that exist without caretakers, but I believe they're all simply the descendants of escaped domestics (like the 'wild' mustangs in the US). Having said that, there are domestic horse varieties that are sturdier and less disaster prone than race or show breeds - basically those used for work and those that are relatively old stock. The better we get at keeping horses alive and stopping them from killing themselves, the more we're able to refine them for specific, non-life-saving, traits. Kind of like pugs, which are only really an existing breed because we no longer expect some dogs to do anything besides focus entirely on continuing to breathe. They're a mess, but they are also a dead limb on the family tree which includes many more healthy branches like working dogs.

If you want an idea of what a wild horse would be like, it's probably similar to the still-existing wild relatives, which are asses and zebras. Both of them are generally hardier, smaller, and stocky. Modern horses are basically only sustainable because we support them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Donkeys are great animals. The world should have more donkeys.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

This seems like a factoid.

If you read any travel piece about the island it sounds so romantic, but then read a management report and it's like "they are killing the island and themselves this is awful we need to remove them for the love of god"

like compare this glowing bit that evokes the Spanish explorer myth: https://parade.com/612357/lindsaylowe/stunning-photos-the-wild-horses-of-georgias-cumberland-island/

to this one where the horses are literally dying of hunger: https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/go-outside/hard-truth-horses/ (warning, uh, pictures of the horses that live on the island)

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 18, 2018

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I mean, lots of animals die of hunger. Nature is a hell world

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BMan posted:

If it makes it easier to understand, it's like a bunch of inbred rednecks dying of consumption and diabetes, but we aren't doing anything about it because we think they're cute

a healthy population of wild animals has lower incidences of disease, a larger genetic pool, etc.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 18, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BMan posted:

The problem is that really that these are not wild animals, they're domesticated animals that have escaped, and to make matters worse they have escaped to an environment they aren't well suited to, and is poor for providing for them. It's not really a situation where you are just observing the natural course of animal's life and it can be rough, it's that humans have created a lovely situation and are failing to do anything about it.

It's like if you breed a bunch of mice and then reduce their food so they start eating their young/each other - yea, that's a thing that can happen in the wild, but it doesn't make it less hosed up that you put them into that situation and are just spectating it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

BigDave posted:

Do you have a link? I'd love to read that thread.
The whole SH/SC subforum is a gem, but the IT Support thread is one of the greatest things on SA: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845247

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Girlfriend is about to severely overpay for college

quote:

Hey everyone, so my girlfriend (20F) wants to become teacher which is cool. She has aleady done a couple years at the local CC to get some basic classes out of the way and was planning on commuting to a university nearby and cashflowing her education while working which would have been very smart. But she recently went on an orientation the college her friend goes to (liberty university, private christian college) and being a christian girl, she loves the fact that the school is pro god, religion, ect, she fell in love with the school and applied and got accepted that same weekend. She has no scholarships, and total cost of school attendence each year is $35k (mostly private loans around 7% interest) and she needs to be there 3 years to get the required degree to teach at public schools. She has a very small savings of a couple thousand and her parents will not help pay, but they are going to cosign for the loans (what an awful idea on both partys) So just right there student loans is going to be 105k+a few thousand from community college+a few thousand owed on her car would put us in the $130k ish zone for total debt after all is said and done.

I graduated high school, became an electrician and went to employer paid trade school and 3 years later i make 60k a year so i keep telling her there are plenty of carrer options that dont require debt, even for females.

I think her going to this school is a horrendous idea especially when she has the chance to cash flow most of college while living at home and working a part time job. And her 45k projected teaching salary wouldnt be able to put a dent in these monsterous loans after she experiences how much it costs to live on your own. I know for a fact that on her own, she will not be able to pay off these loans. Ive tried explaining it to her a million times how stupid of a plan this is but she is on that "college high" so it goes in one ear ot the other. She just gets mad at me for not supporting her. I find this extremely inmature and her lack of caring about getting into extreme debt is very troubling. I am on the verge of leaving her because of this and i will be leaving if she follows through.

So does anybody on hear have anything (videos, stories, documentarys, ect) i can pass onto her that might make her "wake up" to the life changing mess that she is about to get herself into. I really love this girl and i dont want to see her screw herself up so early in life just because of her own ignorance to reality and poor advising from her parents and school counselors. Anything contributed will be greatly appreciated
:bisonyes:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The best part of all is the school she has chosen is Liberty University.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
At least the Mormons don't gouge you for college once you drink the koolaid

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

even for females

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

electrician, for example

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nocheez posted:

Lol holy poo poo. My wife had a bunch of friends from high school that went there and they all paid super dumb amounts of money to come out with degrees that will net them, at most, $50k/year.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If it makes it easier to understand, it's like a bunch of inbred rednecks dying of consumption and diabetes, but we aren't doing anything about it because we think they're cute

that's just a description of discovery channel

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

feral horses are honey boo boo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Hahaha, hopefully this poor sod can snap this girl back into her senses. Otherwise - :sever:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/189829/blockchain-developer-binance-chain-dex-binance-the-no1

quote:

Blockchain Developer/Binance Chain DEX
Binance - The no.1 Cryptocurrency Exchange | Xinyi District, Taiwan
$45k - 110k Remote Visa sponsor Paid relocation

Job description
Blockchain Developer - Binance Chain DEX

This role can be based in one of our offices in Asia or in some cases work remotely, however being on-site is most desirable!

In very little time, Binance has achieved the position of no1 most used global cryptocurrency exchanges in the world.

Are you looking to contribute to the crypto-currency revolution that is changing the world?

As a blockchain developer you must be active in the planning and implementation of computer software for the cryptocurrency market. You should be self motivated, and be able to proactively push from the start to finish of each project.
Furthermore, you must be able to analyze and evaluate blockchain based technology in the market.

We have multiple areas where your skills in Blockchain development can be useful.

One area as part of our long-term vision is the Binance Chain DEX which we believe is vital to the success of the industry.

I'm the $60,000 salary range. Also the word "Binance".

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Dick Nipples posted:

Lol holy poo poo. My wife had a bunch of friends from high school that went there and they all paid super dumb amounts of money to come out with degrees that will net them, at most, $50k/year.
If she has no scholarships, she's from a wealthy family who can afford it and/or is not well prepared. Liberty has horrible horrible politics but they also give out a TON of financial aid / scholarships. Liberty's average undergrad debt at graduation is just north of $30k, which is pretty consistent with overall national trends: http://www.liberty.edu/financeadmin/studentfinances/index.cfm?PID=35148 Higher than average for Virginia ($27k), where there are great places like UVA, VT, etc. for a value education, but not that crazy: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/04/28/average-student-loan-debt-every-state/100893668/ If she's ACTUALLY going into that much debt she's doing something wrong.

Also, as much as Liberty disgusts me, it will absolutely be a strong networking tool among other Christians and their huge alumni base (if you include online education, they're the largest university in America). Public teaching won't bring in a ton of money, but a degree from Liberty will open a lot of doors if she changes her mind and does something else, and the lifetime value of a college degree is still extremely worth it, on average. Liberty's leadership and policies and everything else are horrific, but it's also not a for-profit diploma mill like University of Phoenix or DeVry, it's a real university. Just like a law degree from Regent's, it shows you're a rightwing zealot but will absolutely get you employed at a ton of places with people who share your (terrible) values.

Congrats to boyfriend Johnny Tradeskills for his electrician's apprenticeship, but apprenticeships are really really hard to even get in lots of areas and pay like dogshit for years before you can start earning any money. It's a viable path towards honest work for some people, but demand is very regional. There's way too strong a cultural attack on universities/educations, which not only ignores the non-financial side of better-educated people, but continues to go against actual average results because of the really shocking outliers (and the shittiness of the overall system - fund universities again and we can reduce tuition and not need today's awful student debt crisis).

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 18, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Private schools pay significantly less than public schools. So while you will make lots of networking contacts at Liberty, those are going to get you job opportunities a fair bit lower-paying than the average starting teacher salary of around $40k.

And you could probably get that job at Abraham's Day School for Sacrificial Lambs with a teaching degree from a regular school too.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

Private schools pay significantly less than public schools. So while you will make lots of networking contacts at Liberty, those are going to get you job opportunities a fair bit lower-paying than the average starting teacher salary of around $40k.

And you could probably get that job at Abraham's Day School for Sacrificial Lambs with a teaching degree from a regular school too.

An expensive degree isn't financially worth it if she sticks with being a private school teacher, agreed. But a non-trivial amount of people change careers from teaching when faced with that reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Also

quote:

i keep telling her there are plenty of carrer options that dont require debt, even for females.
:sever: