Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So many loving chuds. Although one of my military friends went the opposite chud direction and is now a legit full on communist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

DoktorLoken posted:

So many loving chuds. Although one of my military friends went the opposite chud direction and is now a legit full on communist.

Greetings,

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

When did seeking asylum become a crime?

From my understanding the majority held this way are not simply migrant laborers.
Seeking asylum isn't a crime, but the legal way to claim asylum is to present yourself at a monitored US port of entry and formally request asylum. As I understand it, all the separations are occurring with families who crossed the border illegally, some of whom have subsequently tried to claim asylum. Trying to claim asylum after you get busted for entering illegally does not negate culpability for that crime. Illegal entry being a crime and people being held on federal charges not being able to bring their kids with them have both been undisputed law for at least the last two presidential administrations, but both W. Bush and Obama ordered their DoJ not to prosecute or not to criminally detain (since immigration detention is a different set of rules and apparently doesn't require separation) migrant families that crossed illegally, because the optics of separating families were unacceptable to them. Trump DGAF.

mlmp08 posted:

A popular right wing talking point is that all but a tiny fraction of asylum seekers are just saying the right words to help get asylum, but actually they're migrating for either economic or criminal reasons.
77%-89% of asylum applications from applicants originating from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras are rejected. (Table 4) This is far more than other countries in the top 10 countries of origin for asylum seekers. I expect this will increase, since Sessions is apparently enforcing the interpretation that refugee status is for people fleeing ethnic cleansing, political purges, or religious persecution, but not gang or domestic violence.

Some of these cases are people throwing a Hail Mary after other attempts to normalize their status have failed, or when facing imminent deportation, but it's impossible to say what percentage of rejections are "justified" or "unjustified" because every case is different and people on both sides have strong incentives to defend their actions.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Our country is going to have to take the same tack that Germany did towards nazis when all this is over.
FDR signed off on literal, actual concentration camps, and he's still basically a saint to a lot of people on the left, so probably not.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

did you buy your AV or was it given? cause its pretty funny
It is, but it would make a lot more sense without the "liberals" label.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So do you think seperating kids from their parents is a bad thing or no? I can't really get a handle on what you're arguing here. Sure, it's the law (or so you say, I'm not going to bother checking up on it), but since there's pretty much universal outrage from everyone non-chuddy, it should be pretty clear that it's not a good thing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

So do you think seperating kids from their parents is a bad thing or no? I can't really get a handle on what you're arguing here. Sure, it's the law (or so you say, I'm not going to bother checking up on it), but since there's pretty much universal outrage from everyone non-chuddy, it should be pretty clear that it's not a good thing.

He's laying out the details and not making an argument I think. The last two presidents prosecuted it under a misdemeanor so it wasn't a big deal but Sessions and the Trump White House have decided it's a felony and this is the result. Please correct if this is wrong cause the details are tricky.

So I guess they could very technically be correct with an extreme interpretation of the law but there's no way to see this as anything but monstrous no matter what the law says.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's weird because it's laid out like a rebuttal but he's literally just rambling

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Well he is providing the justification used by Sessions. So, again, technically it is a crime and why the rebuttal is always "I'm fine with someone who goes through the LEGAL process like a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN" etc etc.

It's a fairly informative post I think with nothing really wrong. I didn't realize the central American rejections were so high but I guess that makes sense now. I didn't think about that.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 18, 2018

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

When my ancestors came to America, we had to go through the rigorous citizenship process of "be white, recite oath".

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Senator Patrick Leahy asked (DHS) Secretary Nielsen whether Norway was a predominantly white country. Kirstjen Nielsen appeared to hesitate before answering, "I actually do not know that, sir." She added, "But I imagine that is the case."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sergg posted:

Senator Patrick Leahy asked (DHS) Secretary Nielsen whether Norway was a predominantly white country. Kirstjen Nielsen appeared to hesitate before answering, "I actually do not know that, sir." She added, "But I imagine that is the case."

They do border fake Mongolia (Finland), so it's a valid question!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Chuds legit believe Scandinavia is now part of the caliphate due to waves of Musselmen tho I’m not sure if that was what she was pulling from or not.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

The premise of the question doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, separating parents from their kids is bad, and we should favor keeping parents and children together. Unless they're lovely or dangerous parents, in which case we should separate them from their kids. But if someone was losing access to their kids because they were going away for multiple homicides, or perhaps for colluding with Russia to undermine an American election, no one would bat an eye. So saying "thing is bad" in the abstract is kinda meaningless.

I wasn't really arguing for anything, just explaining. I think it's a tough subject to have a reasonable conversation about because people on both sides deliberately cloud the issue. I understand why LingcodKilla was confused, because there are a ton of articles with headlines like, "Asylum seekers fleeing South American gangs have their children taken away at the border" that deliberately muddy the cause and effect, immigration court and immigration detention vs criminal court and criminal detention, and the underlying laws about refugee status. There are also a bunch of tweets flying around with kids in cages and a bus at a detention center full of child car seats that don't acknowledge that those photos were taken during Obama's term, or the context surrounding them. On the other side, you have Trump saying, "well, it's the law", which is technically correct, but something it is within his power to set priorities for and also when the gently caress did he start caring about what the law is?

ICE and CBP are always going to look like the bad guys, because their most visible enforcement actions are pursuing people who are poor, powerless, and likely a member of an ethnic minority, for what are essentially paper crimes. But we need some sort of border control, and some sort of immigration policy, and someone to enforce those rules, whatever we as a country decide those rules should be. The first step in figuring that out is having a common understanding. You can say, "hey, we shouldn't be arresting people for entering the country illegally, because then they're separated from their kids", but at least engage with what alternative you would prefer. Should it not be illegal, merely an administrative matter, to deliberately evade border control when entering the country? Not illegal so long as you have your kids with you? Let people bring their kids to federal detention with them? If you're going to punt and say we should selectively enforce the law, who gets to make that call? What guidelines do they use in making that decision?

How do we decide who gets to stay in America? How do we deal with the fact that there are far more people who live in countries with weak rule of law, scarcity, and pervasive violence against women, who would like to emigrate to America, than most Americans would be comfortable letting immigrate? How do we deal with the fact that we have allowed our agricultural sector (among others) to become dependant on a hidden underclass of illegal immigrants?

Big Dogs doesn't make a "Outrage isn't a feeling, it's a value judgment masquerading as a feeling, and is meaningless without a logical alternative" t-shirt, so have this instead:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

lightpole posted:

The last two presidents prosecuted it under a misdemeanor so it wasn't a big deal but Sessions and the Trump White House have decided it's a felony and this is the result. Please correct if this is wrong cause the details are tricky.
My understanding is: Previously, people caught crossing the border illegally were simply bussed back to Mexico without any formal process. In recent decades, we've been stepping up deportations for people caught crossing illegally. Deportation is a formal, administrative process. You aren't entitled to a public defender at a deportation hearing, because you aren't being charged with a crime. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to leave the country and cannot re-enter for five years (for a first offense.) Plenty of people were also charged with various immigration offenses during this period. What Trump/Sessions have started doing is charging everyone caught crossing the border illegally with improper entry. This had always been an option, we just didn't do it. Improper entry is a no-kidding federal crime (albeit a misdemeanor.) This is why everyone is suddenly ending up in federal custody without their kids. Being convicted of a crime has even more serious ramifications for further attempts to enter the United States lawfully, or establish residence.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 18, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Carry on then. I couldn't tell if you were defending or just explaining. Good dogs.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Best Friends posted:

Chuds legit believe Scandinavia is now part of the caliphate due to waves of Musselmen tho I’m not sure if that was what she was pulling from or not.

I'm reading this really long bio about her

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-dhs-secretary-kirstjen-nielsen-became-one-of-president-trumps-fiercest-loyalists

Basically she was one of the Bush admin officials responsible for disaster relief who resigned in disgrace following Hurricane Katrina. She leveraged her political connections to work in the private sector as a "cybersecurity consultant" after the Bush years. The hilarious part about that? From her Wikipedia page: "At a May 2018 congressional hearing, Nielsen said that she was unaware of the intelligence community's conclusion that Russia sought to interfere in the 2016 presidential election to help candidate Trump get elected.[29]"

After Trump's election she was John Kelly's personal aide and she was willing to do whatever she was told and had no history of strong political opinions, working in gov't during Obama, or opposition to Trump. She was angling for a much smaller job as an undersecretary in a sub-agency but with tons of personal access & face time with John Kelly and Trump, she somehow managed to finagle her way into a cabinet position. By all accounts of everyone interviewed, she's incompetent, lacks basic knowledge, and does whatever Trump and Stephen Miller tell her to, including issuing press releases attacking immigration bills in Congress.

I spent 20 minutes reading her Twitter feed just now and it's basically nothing but "Had the great honor of discussing #thing with #person and #group." and a photo of her standing next to whatever person she had dinner with. That and retweeting Trump, Pence, or Fox News but mostly the namedrop/photo op Great Privilege To Meet.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
She sounds like a good lackey

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

The premise of the question doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, separating parents from their kids is bad, and we should favor keeping parents and children together. Unless they're lovely or dangerous parents, in which case we should separate them from their kids. But if someone was losing access to their kids because they were going away for multiple homicides, or perhaps for colluding with Russia to undermine an American election, no one would bat an eye. So saying "thing is bad" in the abstract is kinda meaningless.

I wasn't really arguing for anything, just explaining. I think it's a tough subject to have a reasonable conversation about because people on both sides deliberately cloud the issue. I understand why LingcodKilla was confused, because there are a ton of articles with headlines like, "Asylum seekers fleeing South American gangs have their children taken away at the border" that deliberately muddy the cause and effect, immigration court and immigration detention vs criminal court and criminal detention, and the underlying laws about refugee status. There are also a bunch of tweets flying around with kids in cages and a bus at a detention center full of child car seats that don't acknowledge that those photos were taken during Obama's term, or the context surrounding them. On the other side, you have Trump saying, "well, it's the law", which is technically correct, but something it is within his power to set priorities for and also when the gently caress did he start caring about what the law is?

ICE and CBP are always going to look like the bad guys, because their most visible enforcement actions are pursuing people who are poor, powerless, and likely a member of an ethnic minority, for what are essentially paper crimes. But we need some sort of border control, and some sort of immigration policy, and someone to enforce those rules, whatever we as a country decide those rules should be. The first step in figuring that out is having a common understanding. You can say, "hey, we shouldn't be arresting people for entering the country illegally, because then they're separated from their kids", but at least engage with what alternative you would prefer. Should it not be illegal, merely an administrative matter, to deliberately evade border control when entering the country? Not illegal so long as you have your kids with you? Let people bring their kids to federal detention with them? If you're going to punt and say we should selectively enforce the law, who gets to make that call? What guidelines do they use in making that decision?

How do we decide who gets to stay in America? How do we deal with the fact that there are far more people who live in countries with weak rule of law, scarcity, and pervasive violence against women, who would like to emigrate to America, than most Americans would be comfortable letting immigrate? How do we deal with the fact that we have allowed our agricultural sector (among others) to become dependant on a hidden underclass of illegal immigrants?

Big Dogs doesn't make a "Outrage isn't a feeling, it's a value judgment masquerading as a feeling, and is meaningless without a logical alternative" t-shirt, so have this instead:

Never thought I'd see DR advocate for "full communism now", but here we are. Welcome friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
No, he's still just being DR. He's advocating that we "Need" BP and ICE, despite the fact that most immigration law only became a thing in the 1960s when suddenly whites became distinctly aware that they were beginning to lose their grip on the country.

There is no justification for what Sessions is doing, full stop. And arguing that there is law (there isn't law for separating families), does not make it just or correct. Lest we forget: Slavery was law. Jim Crow was law. Being law does not make it right.

Also: Bonus, DR doesn't understand that Sessions is specifically gutting immigration courts to make it more difficult to get public defenders. And no, DR, even minor offenses are entitled to Public Defenders.

Stop justifying loving Jefferey "KKK Smokes Pot, So I couldn't Join" Sessions.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 18, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's also the administration talking out of both (several?) sides of their mouth with regard to who's to "blame" for kids being separated from their parents.

Explanation 1: These parents did a crime, and now our hands are forced into putting kids into holding centers and then giving them back to someone who may or may not be related to the kids.
Explanation 2: Democrats did it! They didn't want to build a wall, so now by jove, we have no choice but to put kids in holding centers where they may or may not be released to a relative.
Explanation 3: We have very deliberately established a system where we publicly separate kids from their parents. This is to make immigrants too scared to immigrate here, including deterring people from trying to claim asylum, lest we decide their asylum claim isn't valid and then charge them with a crime. Their fear of losing their kids will keep them out of our country. So yes, we established a deliberate policy to separate kids from parents to scare people, but really the Democrats and these illegal immigrants made us do it.
Explanation 4: MS-13 or something, I dunno.

CommieGIR posted:

There is no justification for what Sessions is doing, full stop. And arguing that there is law (there isn't law for separating families), does not make it just or correct.

Truth. It turns out you can have rule of law and border security without doing so in an intentionally painful and monstrous way as a means to scare the poo poo out of people and try to force capitulation of your political rivals in the legislature! Who coulda node?

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 18, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

There is no justification for what Sessions is doing, full stop. And arguing that there is law (there isn't law for separating families), does not make it just or correct.

Sounds like that's just a problem with your ethical framework :smug:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1008692333771132929?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m sorry I’m too busy following the multiple mass school shootings by US born assholes to track MS13 shootings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's no excuse or reason to split up parents from their children if they're being deported anyway except sheer vindictiveness and hatred.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Melania enters the child separation fray:

quote:

"Mrs. Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform."

The statement added, "She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart."

Gosh, if only she knew somebody who could change the policy. Oh, well.

Laura Bush has also weighed in

quote:

On Sunday, a day we as a nation set aside to honor fathers and the bonds of family, I was among the millions of Americans who watched images of children who have been torn from their parents. In the six weeks between April 19 and May 31, the Department of Homeland Security has sent nearly 2,000 children to mass detention centers or foster care. More than 100 of these children are younger than 4 years old. The reason for these separations is a zero-tolerance policy for their parents, who are accused of illegally crossing our borders.

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart.

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned.

Americans pride ourselves on being a moral nation, on being the nation that sends humanitarian relief to places devastated by natural disasters or famine or war. We pride ourselves on believing that people should be seen for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. We pride ourselves on acceptance. If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents — and to stop separating parents and children in the first place.

People on all sides agree that our immigration system isn’t working, but the injustice of zero tolerance is not the answer. I moved away from Washington almost a decade ago, but I know there are good people at all levels of government who can do better to fix this.

Recently, Colleen Kraft, who heads the American Academy of Pediatrics, visited a shelter run by the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. She reported that while there were beds, toys, crayons, a playground and diaper changes, the people working at the shelter had been instructed not to pick up or touch the children to comfort them. Imagine not being able to pick up a child who is not yet out of diapers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ah yes, the “stop hitting yourself” style of politicking. This horrible thing I’m doing will stop once you give me the horrible thing I want!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Sounds like that's just a problem with your ethical framework :smug:

Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?

Imagine having to talk to Stephen Miller or Jeff Sessions about anything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:rip: Germans. Thought of immigrants and died.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1008696508697513985

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oh, only the fourth or so factually wrong thing he said today, if he stays below ten, I think that counts as a good day

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Fox and Friends Facts again?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Nobody tell him about the immigrants who showed up in North America after 1492; he'll flip his poo poo about how violent they were.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's no excuse or reason to split up parents from their children if they're being deported anyway except sheer vindictiveness and hatred.

While we're at it, gently caress contrarian dipshits who Kramer into every conversation about this on Twitter and elsewhere with "YEAH BUT OBAMA AND BUSH ALSO PUT ILLEGALS AND ASYLUM SEEKERS INTO FACILITIES LIKE THIS, WHY DIDN'T YOU CARE THEN?" It's loving concern trolling at its finest.

People did care then, maybe not on the same scale, but they did. It's also possible to recognize that those were lovely things that happened under previous administrations, but not nearly as lovely as separating families out of pure vindictiveness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

While we're at it, gently caress contrarian dipshits who Kramer into every conversation about this on Twitter and elsewhere with "YEAH BUT OBAMA AND BUSH ALSO PUT ILLEGALS AND ASYLUM SEEKERS INTO FACILITIES LIKE THIS, WHY DIDN'T YOU CARE THEN?" It's loving concern trolling at its finest.

People did care then, maybe not on the same scale, but they did. It's also possible to recognize that those were lovely things that happened under previous administrations, but not nearly as lovely as separating families out of pure vindictiveness.

And that's before we get to the fact that, shockingly, Liberals DO respect the law, but recognize the law must be measure by its morality and how just it truly is.

No Liberal is saying "Just open the borders", they are saying "Yes, they broke the law, but going for a repeat of the Japanese Internment (one of our greatest national shames) is hardly going to make the law more in the right.

But that's missing the forest for the trees: This is about Jeff Sessions, Steve Miller, and Trump's White Supremacist leanings. That's it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Both Wisconsin and Maryland gerrmandering cases hit today.

Maryland was where republicans sued because they felt they were subject to retaliatory gerrymandering. The posture of the case was the district court denied them a preliminary injunction that would invalidate the maps for the 2018 election because there was the supreme court case in Gill pending that would provide guidance on how to rule. SCOTUS via per curiam order said "that's a good and valid reason" and the case is punted back down to the district court.

Wisconsin case was also punted on standing because the plaintiffs didn't actually live in gerrymandered districts. Kagan laid out in a concurring opinion how to demonstrate standing.

Both cases unanimous and both punts.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Remember when people got pissy about punching nazis? Feels like decades ago and drat were those people wrong.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BadOptics posted:

Remember when people got pissy about punching nazis? Feels like decades ago and drat were those people wrong.

Hell yeah they were, also an excuse to repost this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
DHS Secretary is now claiming they don't have a policy of seperating family members at the border.

So: Kelly, Trump, Miller, are all liars? :thunk:

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/1008695502379077637

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1008726798136377344

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BadOptics posted:

Never thought I'd see DR advocate for "full communism now", but here we are. Welcome friend.
All I'm really advocating for is that the Current Events thread engage with current events at a level beyond "I saw a thing on Twitter and it made me upset" and "I can't wait until we can put the chuds in camps."

CommieGIR posted:

No, he's still just being DR. He's advocating that we "Need" BP and ICE, despite the fact that most immigration law only became a thing in the 1960s when suddenly whites became distinctly aware that they were beginning to lose their grip on the country.
:lol: In such a hurry to be woke that you forgot history. Immigration law didn't start in 1960. The contentious Naturalization Act was signed into law by President John Adams in 1798. Tensions about immigration are as old as this country. "Native born Americans blaming cheap foreign labor for undercutting their wages during an economic downturn" isn't even a novelty: the Chinese Exclusion Act was passed in 1882.

CommieGIR posted:

There is no justification for what Sessions is doing, full stop. And arguing that there is law (there isn't law for separating families), does not make it just or correct. Lest we forget: Slavery was law. Jim Crow was law. Being law does not make it right.
Get off your soap box. No one here is arguing that the law is right because it is the law, I'm asking: if you think the law is wrong, what do you think the law should be instead?

CommieGIR posted:

Also: Bonus, DR doesn't understand that Sessions is specifically gutting immigration courts to make it more difficult to get public defenders. And no, DR, even minor offenses are entitled to Public Defenders.
You are not entitled to a public defender in immigration court, because it is an administrative hearing and not a criminal trial. You can't be convicted of any criminal offense in immigration court.

mlmp08 posted:

We have very deliberately established a system where we publicly separate kids from their parents. This is to make immigrants too scared to immigrate here, including deterring people from trying to claim asylum, lest we decide their asylum claim isn't valid and then charge them with a crime.
Now you're doing it. Can you provide a single example of someone who entered the country legally, applied for asylum, had their claim rejected, and was subsequently charged with a crime related to their asylum application?

I don't know if he's right about the crime thing, but the CDU/CSU are losing seats to AfD over the immigration issue.

CommieGIR posted:

DHS Secretary is now claiming they don't have a policy of seperating family members at the border.
Separating families at the border =/= people being charged with crossing the border illegally not being able to bring their kids to federal detention with them. Stop confusing the issue.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe we should make some provision for keeping families together if we're going to be assholes and keep them in custody for illegally crossing the border.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Your a loving moron and your cherry picking Immigration law if you think the Naturalization Act was what I was talking about.

Also: LMAO that you'd mention one of the most racist of Immigration Acts ever devised by bringing up the Chinese Exclusion Act. Well done.

quote:

Get off your soap box. No one here is arguing that the law is right because it is the law, I'm asking: if you think the law is wrong, what do you think the law should be instead?

:ssh: There you go again with "The Word is the Law, and The Law is the Word" bullshit. The INTERPRETATION of the Law differs, and Sessions/Miller/Trump are loving vile racists who are using the interpretation of the law to push their vile views.

Maybe not try to defend facist racists? Might be a good start for you DR.

quote:

You are not entitled to a public defender in immigration court, because it is an administrative hearing and not a criminal trial. You can't be convicted of any criminal offense in immigration court.

See, here's where your wrong again: Sessions and Miller are arguing ANY and all immigrants appearing at the southern border are "Illegal", and its being widely reported that DHS is stopping people while trying to apply for legal immigration and arresting them, seperating them from their families, and then throwing them into jail to be prosecuted.

Well done. You can't even defend LEGAL poo poo properly, because you are willingly ignoring what is going on.

quote:

Now you're doing it. Can you provide a single example of someone who entered the country legally, applied for asylum, had their claim rejected, and was subsequently charged with a crime related to their asylum application?

https://splinternews.com/ice-agents-arrest-asylum-seeker-at-his-own-asylum-heari-1822930272

ICE has specifically targeted people seeking asylum/legally applying for asylum, you loving moron.

quote:

Separating families at the border =/= people being charged with crossing the border illegally not being able to bring their kids to federal detention with them. Stop confusing the issue.

Hey, you. Bootlicking loving facist motherfucker

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/bogus-reasons-ice-uses-lock-asylum-seekers

Please, by all means, keep defending Trump, Miller, and Sessions. Its not likely they have a racist history or anything that might compel them to disenfranchise asylum seekers....

....oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DR. How about this perspective:

There are 2000 children locked in concentration camps that WE loving put there. Cause this isn't a Democrat vs Republican thing. These are Americans locking children up and refusing aid and comfort.

Argue all you want but that is what is happening right now. Being pedantic about why they showed up is irrelevant.

• Locked thread