Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i just saw an ad for this on actual tv and the example users are people too dumb to remember a combo or remember their keys after being out and locking their bikes so idk maybe this is a real deterrent to that audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i have never heard of AT commands before this

:whitewater:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

i just saw an ad for this on actual tv and the example users are people too dumb to remember a combo or remember their keys after being out and locking their bikes so idk maybe this is a real deterrent to that audience

i mean it's not even a normal screw it's one of those magical torx bits that only the police are allowed to have probably

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This *is* my favorite time of year as paid research gets accepted to blackhat, especially the stunt hacking and now all the press release and marketing hype begins.

Saw a great talk at hushcon about the difference between them having their corp pr and marketing behind them for a talk (articles in sites, magazines, blog posts, interviews) and having them be actively silenced and having no pr/marketing cause of a lawsuit threat (and other shenanigans).

However I generally do talks with no PR or marketing so...............

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Same. drat kids.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This *is* my favorite time of year as paid research gets accepted to blackhat, especially the stunt hacking and now all the press release and marketing hype begins.

Saw a great talk at hushcon about the difference between them having their corp pr and marketing behind them for a talk (articles in sites, magazines, blog posts, interviews) and having them be actively silenced and having no pr/marketing cause of a lawsuit threat (and other shenanigans).

However I generally do talks with no PR or marketing so...............

I'm doing a project at a company rn and they have like 3 accepted talks.

I think it's because they do fault injection and side channel analysis which is actually interesting and difficult and not something joebob the IDS vendor can do.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean it's not even a normal screw it's one of those magical torx bits that only the police are allowed to have probably

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

jeff would never allow such criminality on his platform

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I broke into a server room with a set like that once.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spankmeister posted:

i hear they're good for scooters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

:thejoke:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

if you're carrying those around it's evidence of malfeasance

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s actually just a straight-up standard torx head, so 1) go to pretty much any auto shop or 2) just use a small flathead

signed,

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

~Coxy posted:

if you're carrying those around it's evidence of malfeasance

At least in Wisconsin, simple possession of burglarious tools isn't actually criminal (although like anything else, the probable cause is on a sliding scale w/r/t your pantone shade)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 17, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

carry a dremel and dremel a slot into the screw

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:emptyquote:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

*in extremely cellphone repair tech voice* i'm in

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In Texas AT&T linesmen had to have a special certification for their toolkits because they involved wirecutters.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
in the 19th century you’d get strung up for carrying anything that could cut barbed wire, glad to hear those laws are still on the books

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

apseudonym posted:

More than you think do, but even if they didn't the majority of devices are still newer than 2014.

Your unpatched phone from 2014 is still more trustworthy than your laptop :shrug:

Yes, my laptop that gets firmware,driver, software updates on the regular is less secure than an android from 2014 unpatched

it's why I do all my banking and sensitive phone on my huawei from 2014

I would love to continue this convo but I have to go to the bank to ask what some transactions on my statement are as my balance is lower than usual

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Celexi posted:

Yes, my laptop that gets firmware,driver, software updates on the regular is less secure than an android from 2014 unpatched

it's why I do all my banking and sensitive phone on my huawei from 2014

I would love to continue this convo but I have to go to the bank to ask what some transactions on my statement are as my balance is lower than usual

Updates are an important but not remotely sufficient part of a secure device because the vast majority of malware exploits no bugs. Masturbating about updates misses the point on how malware actually works in the real world, you don't need to exploit anything on your laptop to get your banking creds out of your browser so why would I bother?

Hot takes are fun but do you know the malware numbers on Android? They're published every year.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

apseudonym posted:

Updates are an important but not remotely sufficient part of a secure device because the vast majority of malware exploits no bugs. Masturbating about updates misses the point on how malware actually works in the real world, you don't need to exploit anything on your laptop to get your banking creds out of your browser so why would I bother?

Hot takes are fun but do you know the malware numbers on Android? They're published every year.

quote:

For the last few years, advertising Trojans have been one of the main threats facing Android users. First, they are very widespread, accounting for more than half of the entries in our ratings. Secondly, they are dangerous, with many exploiting system vulnerabilities to gain root privileges. The Trojans can then get full control of a system and, for example, install their modules in system folders to prevent their removal. In some cases, even resetting the device to factory settings is not enough to get rid of the rooting malware.

However, the vulnerabilities that allow attackers to gain super-user rights are only found on older devices, and their share is declining. As a result, advertising Trojans are increasingly confronted with devices on which they cannot gain a foothold. This means the user has the chance to get rid of this malware once it starts aggressively displaying ads or installing new applications. This is probably why we are now seeing more and more advertising Trojans that don’t show ads to the user; instead, they click on them, helping their owners earn money from advertisers. The user may not even notice this behavior because the only telltale signs of infection are increased traffic and battery use.

Trojans that target WAP billing sites use similar techniques. They receive a list of links from the C&C, follow them and ‘click’ on page elements using a JS file received from the malicious server. The main difference is that they click not only advertising links but on WAP billing sites as well, which results in the theft of money from the user’s mobile account. This type of attack has been around for several years now, but it was only in 2017 that these Trojans appeared in significant numbers, and we assume this trend will continue in 2018.

In 2017, we discovered several modular Trojans that steal money via WAP billing as one of their monetization methods. Some of them also had modules for crypto-currency mining. The rise in price of crypto currency makes mining a more profitable business, although the performance of mobile devices is not that good. Mining results in rapid battery consumption, and in some cases even device failure. We also discovered several new Trojans posing as useful applications, but which were actually mining crypto currency on an infected device. If the rise of crypto currency continues in 2018, we’ll most probably see lots of new miners.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Sec fuckup #1: Physical access is your weak point, always.

Ubiquiti cables are tasty to cats, apparently.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
cats love any coated cable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Capacitor posted:

Sec fuckup #1: Physical access is your weak point, always.

Ubiquiti cables are tasty to cats, apparently.

Certified unethical cable penetration tester

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ate all the Oreos posted:

the only secure fastener are those screws they use on bathroom dividers

and nintendo security bits

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Just had a microsoft account with a unique 40+ character paasword that I haven't logged into in months get owned. Microsoft blocked the login but how the hell does that happen

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phone posted:

the only secure fastener are those screws they use on bathroom dividers

and nintendo security bits

also the welded plastic bubble packages small electronics come in

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

One way screws take about twice as long to remove as regular screws you just need a dremel.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

jerry seinfel posted:

Just had a microsoft account with a unique 40+ character paasword that I haven't logged into in months get owned. Microsoft blocked the login but how the hell does that happen

Probably a basic CSRF attack via adverts and they're slowly testing each garnered account. Microsoft has never been a paragon of security.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Subjunctive posted:

also the welded plastic bubble packages small electronics come in

pff just cut through the face with a box cutter

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
High quality can opener will have that open in a jiffy

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

jerry seinfel posted:

mine got owned a couple days ago too

probably something on MS end

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
arrogant security nerds getting phished is more likely than a Hotmail breach

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Daman posted:

arrogant security nerds getting phished is more likely than a Hotmail breach

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

it doesn't help that every single login page for Microsoft looks different

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Microsoft just loves to pop up random login prompts with no way to know what application they come from so I'm waiting for some malware that does this to grab login creds.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chalks posted:

Microsoft just loves to pop up random login prompts with no way to know what application they come from so I'm waiting for some malware that does this to grab login creds.

iOS does this too. Random "enter your gmail password" prompts. Why? Who's asking for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

akadajet posted:

iOS does this too. Random "enter your gmail password" prompts. Why? Who's asking for it?

are you saying app A can pop over app B?!

I have never seen this

• Locked thread