Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'd prefer the conversations to be the puzzles or at least lead to different places depending what you do so it was a bit more than a slightly interactive story.

I've not tried many visual novels. I find the anime/manga style of graphics to be a pretty big turn off, aesthetically speaking, if that's the kind you're meaning.

I know what you mean about the aesthetic, and it was a big turn-off for me too. However, I have found that they can have better narratives than anything else, as far as I've played. Some are bad, of course, but the upper limit on them can get pretty drat good. One of my favorites is the Psycho-Pass visual novel, and I would be willing to say it's genuinely good cyberpunk shown from the perspective of the cops.

If you're unfamiliar with the anime it's based on, the idea is basically that there are CCTV camera type shits all over the city that are capable of monitoring a person's physical state to establish whether or not they are at risk for committing crime, and in some cases it determines that the emotional state of the subject is so far gone that they cannot be rehabilitated. In that case, cops are authorized to kill that person and are generally expected to do so. This system is seen as the core of what makes the society peaceful, and it requires detectives who are cold and pretty much emotionless working alongside enforcers who are authorized to help the police, but are still basically prisoners just used because they are known "unstable" types but stable enough to control or put down if necessary. Your gun pretty much auto-targets to kill, but does not operate as a lethal weapon unless the scanner in it identifies the target as beyond rehabilitation.

In this game you play either one of the detectives or one of the enforcers, and though you have rules set by law, you choose what to do in any given situation, starting with tracking down the perp and eventually deciding whether or not to pull the trigger. People are still people after all, and killing someone still affects people who have relationships with the guy you killed. Choosing to kill a target because the gun says so can earn you respect from the other detectives not because you're killing someone but rather because you're following protocol.

Between all this stuff there are long conversations where people actually talk about emotions and poo poo and it's really well-done in my opinion. I think it's genuinely decent speculative science fiction, and explores a hypothetical disruptive technology's hypothetical effects on society while also exploring character motivations and emotions, which I like to think is the core of good speculative science fiction going at least as far back as Brave New World.

But that's just my recommendation. Another highly-praised visual novel is Steins;gate. Check that out too if you're interested.

That's where I'd start with visual novels anyway. They are not so much puzzle games as they are navigating conversations and decisions and seeing where your choices lead, but they can be very engaging.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

been having some crummy wrist pains in my left hand. any recommendations on good games that i only need my mouse to play? ideally ones that don't require insane movement that will also gently caress up my right wrist

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

been having some crummy wrist pains in my left hand. any recommendations on good games that i only need my mouse to play? ideally ones that don't require insane movement that will also gently caress up my right wrist

One Finger Death Punch

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

ninjewtsu posted:

Hearthstone if you like wizard poker.
Battletech can be played with just the mouse albeit not as quickly as using shortcuts.
Va-11 hall-A is mostly visual novel, but very well written and with none of the usual VN dating crap.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

GOROGOA

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ninjewtsu posted:

The House in Fata Morgana

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

ninjewtsu posted:

Rimworld? You might occasionally have to press a key, but it's mostly mouse.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Into the Breach

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

What's a good space-themed 4X game for a beginner to the genre? I'm definitely willing to learn how to play but hopefully not something super complex. Bonus if it runs on lower-end PCs.

Endless Space, perhaps?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good games you can play windowed on pc? I thinking something like Rogue Galaxy, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac. Where you can quit and don't have to worry about progress. During weekends I usually have to go out a lot so I never get to play for prolonged periods. Anything that fits that is fine.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I'm looking for a game that I think can be nutshelled as Golden Axe meets DMC. Something low fantasy-ish in the style of a beat 'em up with the ability to pull off combinations. Bonus points for small bits of character customization (equipment, stats, levels, etc). Abyss Oddyssey and Absolver kind of do it for me. Tried wizard of legend but between the combat being faster-paced and based around cool downs I didn't care too much for it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Buried alive posted:

I'm looking for a game that I think can be nutshelled as Golden Axe meets DMC. Something low fantasy-ish in the style of a beat 'em up with the ability to pull off combinations. Bonus points for small bits of character customization (equipment, stats, levels, etc). Abyss Oddyssey and Absolver kind of do it for me. Tried wizard of legend but between the combat being faster-paced and based around cool downs I didn't care too much for it.

You basically just described Dragon's Crown

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Buried alive posted:

Demon stone or shadow of mordor

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

signalnoise posted:

You basically just described Dragon's Crown

Looks perfect except for I'm on PC. Also the jiggle boobs, jesus. :doh:

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Demon stone or shadow of mordor

Demon stone looks interesting, if a bit Janky. Shadow of Mordor I have. Not really a fan of the rythm-based combat.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Buried alive posted:

Looks perfect except for I'm on PC. Also the jiggle boobs, jesus. :doh:

Demon stone looks interesting, if a bit Janky. Shadow of Mordor I have. Not really a fan of the rythm-based combat.

If 3D is okay, and you're willing to have story on top of your beatemup, I honestly suggest Yakuza Zero. It's not all beatemup all the time, but the beatemup that is there is glorious. It's not fantasy though, and it's not Devil May Cry style endless combos. It is very good though and ticks all the other boxes of upgrading your character through equipment and skill points and poo poo. It's just also a much bigger game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not sure if it's still has a community, but dungeon Fighter online is a really good beat em up. Has MMO elements and is a lot of fun, but very anime.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cyberpunk games that arent shadowrun or runner¿?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Deus Ex (all of em)
Mirror's Edge (especially the second one)
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (lol)
Satellite Reign
Invisible Inc.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, kinda. More thematically than anything else, though.

Gunpoint, for a less arguable one.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 17, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DoctorGonzo posted:

Blade runner, Technobabylon, Beneath a steel sky, Red strings club, Dreamweb and most important : Snatcher

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

signalnoise posted:

If 3D is okay, and you're willing to have story on top of your beatemup, I honestly suggest Yakuza Zero. It's not all beatemup all the time, but the beatemup that is there is glorious. It's not fantasy though, and it's not Devil May Cry style endless combos. It is very good though and ticks all the other boxes of upgrading your character through equipment and skill points and poo poo. It's just also a much bigger game.

Don't need endless combos, just a little something. Story is cool and even a little helpful. Multiple paths are neat, but more in the branching stage selection kind of way as opposed to the metroidvania exploration kind of way. YZ does look fairly hilarious, I'll keep an eye on that one.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hard Reset and Binary Domain are both cyberpunk-ish.

E.Y.E. kind of works, but as someone who has played let me warn you that it has a certain level of weirdness to get past/appreciate and that the systems are.. confusing.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 17, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Buried alive posted:

Don't need endless combos, just a little something. Story is cool and even a little helpful. Multiple paths are neat, but more in the branching stage selection kind of way as opposed to the metroidvania exploration kind of way. YZ does look fairly hilarious, I'll keep an eye on that one.

There are definitely hilarious times, though be aware that's basically a counterbalance against how heavy the story can be. It's super good and I was satisfied at 60 dollars. The steam price is a ridiculously good value and I would suggest it simply because the game is great, and it aligning with what you're looking for is a bonus.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DoctorGonzo posted:

Any of the Syndicate games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
BloodNet :getin:

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Buried alive posted:

The Sega Saturn classic Guardian Heroes. It should be available as a download on XBox Arcade.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Funktor posted:

The Sega Saturn classic Guardian Heroes. It should be available as a download on XBox Arcade.

Along similar lines, Shadow over Mystara is a D&D beat-em-up originally released in actual arcades and now available in a bunch of online shops.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You're reminding me I was really interested in Double Dragon Neon (which hits pretty much all your points except the fantasy setting), but from what I understand it kinda sucks. :(

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You're reminding me I was really interested in Double Dragon Neon (which hits pretty much all your points except the fantasy setting), but from what I understand it kinda sucks. :(

Double Dragon Neon is pretty good and certainly better than 4.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Neon is a fine beatemup in its own sidescroller beatemup genre that is hurt by there being a disconnect between the quality of its graphics and the simplicity of its game design. People expect a non-retro aesthetic beatemup to have a combo system or something, but Neon is essentially the same as Super Double Dragon from the SNES except you get a special move you pick and pump currency into instead of a gauge you hold down a button for, and that isn't going to match up to any expectation of systems that support long combo strings or whatever. River City Ransom Underground is more complex in terms of inputs and lets you do neat stuff if that's what you're into. It also has the baggage of being a River City Ransom game that does not compromise on things people did NOT like about the original.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I have a real urge to play a specific type of game. An open world, top down game with cars. Like GTA 1 or 2, but say half as hectic and much bigger, and a splash of Absolute Drift's physics. I don't know if this game exists, and I am not sure if this game could exist because it might be boring.... But I really feel an urge to play it.

The extended vision of this urge is set in a large desert, and there are herds of kangaroos roaming, and a cult who are developing a nuke on the sly, and towns you can buy supplies in. I might have to make that myself lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

The extended vision of this urge is set in a large desert, and there are herds of kangaroos roaming, and a cult who are developing a nuke on the sly, and towns you can buy supplies in. I might have to make that myself lol

Have you played the Mad Max game?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Have you played the Mad Max game?

yep, its kewl :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

klen dool posted:

I have a real urge to play a specific type of game. An open world, top down game with cars. Like GTA 1 or 2, but say half as hectic and much bigger, and a splash of Absolute Drift's physics. I don't know if this game exists, and I am not sure if this game could exist because it might be boring.... But I really feel an urge to play it.

Excepting the top down, I suppose you can just be annoyed that Auto Assault.. crashed and burned...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

klen dool posted:

GTA car game with Absolute Drift's physics does exist - Pako 2. Nothing in your extended vision though.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

GTA car game with Absolute Drift's physics does exist - Pako 2. Nothing in your extended vision though.

That's near perfect!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangers might actually be the game for me.... Its /really/ weird though

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangers might actually be the game for me.... Its /really/ weird though

If older games are OK for you there's also Interstate 76

klen dool
May 7, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If older games are OK for you there's also Interstate 76

oh wow that takes me back

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
If you're some sort of weirdo who hasn't played the first three of this series, here's your chance to turn it all around

https://twitter.com/gogcom/status/1009062731826257920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm a big fan of games that are a little out there and are more like experiences / art exhibits than something you have to win at. e.g. Journey, Everything, etc. What are some titles in that realm that I might also enjoy?