Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

For :fifteenbux: this is going to be my stocking stuffer to everyone I know with a switch who doesn't already have it.

Also Dream Gate is amazing for tracking down random things and exploring out of the way corners for the last few masks and caterpillars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Knorth posted:

The big rumble when you hit a switch in that area is that hole opening up. It is a little unclear I feel

Yeah, that's definitely why I missed them my first time and ended up not exploring down that way until I had several upgrades and was strong enough to beat them in one go with no problem whatsoever. But it was still a blast and is probably one of my favorite fights, and now I rush down there immediately each time. I showed my partner the fight, and he was surprised when the Mantis Lords were all female, which was another nice touch. God I love this game.

Nephzinho posted:

Also Dream Gate is amazing for tracking down random things and exploring out of the way corners for the last few masks and caterpillars.

I never used it on my PC runs but I'll be giving this a shot on Switch, I think!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to buy this game for Switch tonight

I passed it up on PC because I didn't have a good controller at the time

any good hints? I heard there is some place called 'Deep' something that I should probably wait on till I upgrade

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

eonwe posted:

any good hints? I heard there is some place called 'Deep' something that I should probably wait on till I upgrade

There are no wrong directions

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i see, well I like those kinds of games. im looking foward to it, I've heard what an amazing game this is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

Explore everything! The game is full of hidden secrets. Pay attention to signs! The game has a lot of destructible objects and I see a lot of people break the signs without even looking at them. They point you to good stuff!

Also, importantly - don't worry about dying. It'll happen, but it'll never set you far back! The game gets comparisons to Dark Souls because you leave your currency where you die, but unlike Dark Souls you don't need that currency to progress your character so losing it really isn't that bad (even if it can feel bad) Just explore the game and have fun basically :toot:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Explore everything! The game is full of hidden secrets. Pay attention to signs! The game has a lot of destructible objects and I see a lot of people break the signs without even looking at them. They point you to good stuff!

Also, importantly - don't worry about dying. It'll happen, but it'll never set you far back! The game gets comparisons to Dark Souls because you leave your currency where you die, but unlike Dark Souls you don't need that currency to progress your character so losing it really isn't that bad (even if it can feel bad) Just explore the game and have fun basically :toot:

Losing souls is not a big deal in dark souls either

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Andrast posted:

There are no wrong directions

This is absolutely the best advice for a new player. Coupled with that is this additional point: if you're having trouble with something, be it a boss or, like, a really dark and scary place, just go somewhere else for a while. The game is really big and way, way longer than you think it's going to be. You'll get tons of upgrades and when you come back to whatever it is that was beating you, you'll win this time. Perseverance is the Knight's greatest strength. Beat him down, cast him off, bury him deep in the earth... he will climb back out and prevail.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there a map, and can I mark it with stuff? The reason Metroidvanias stress me out is because I feel like I'll never remember to go back to X place. I thought BotW would stress me out for the same reason, but I could mark stuff for later, which it turns out I loved.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
There is a map, but you have to get it from someone.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

is there a map, and can I mark it with stuff? The reason Metroidvanias stress me out is because I feel like I'll never remember to go back to X place. I thought BotW would stress me out for the same reason, but I could mark stuff for later, which it turns out I loved.

There's a map and there are pretty great mapping features! You will need to find the cartographer in each zone to get the map, though. There are pins you can buy that will automatically pin all sorts of important stuff on your map and the latest DLC (which I believe is in the Switch version too?) adds a bunch of pins that you can place manually. See a place you can't quite get to with your current abilities? Pin it so you can remember it for later!

One thing I've seen some people complain about is that the game will fill in an entire room on the map when you get there, so it can be hard to know if you've found all the secrets just by looking at the map. An easy way to deal with this is to actually explore a room before you move to the next one though :v:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eonwe posted:

Highly recommend you follow this very lightly spoilery progression guide, at least until you get access to all mobility options. My first playthrough was blind and I just went wherever I felt like, and had to do a whole shitload of backtracking because I'd reach an inaccessible path. Kinda a sour feeling to spend a half hour pushing in one direction for the dozenth time, only to reach yet another ledge I could get to if I had double jump god damnit.............

Once you get the powerups listed in that guide, go wherever you want with only occasional backtracking!

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 18, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'd say those are pretty big spoilers :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

enojy posted:

Highly recommend you follow this very lightly spoilery progression guide, at least until you get access to all mobility options. My first playthrough was blind and I just went wherever I felt like, and had to do a whole shitload of backtracking because I'd reach an inaccessible path. Kinda a sour feeling to spend a half hour pushing in one direction for the dozenth time, only to reach yet another ledge I could get to if I had double jump god damnit.............

Once you get the powerups listed in that guide, go wherever you want with only occasional backtracking!

I highly recommend you don't

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

I'd say those are pretty big spoilers :(

Oh, fair enough! I didn't think it was that bad. The link contains a good number of map location names, and the movement powerups you can obtain -- proceed at your own risk.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

eonwe posted:

you can aim your sword downwards if you attack in midair. hitting enemies or certain objects with a downward swing makes you bounce up a little. you can use this to get more air time when jumping, or chain attacks together to pogo bounce for extended periods of time. some people figure this out instantly on their own; others don't and get stuck for a while when the game eventually requires you to bounce off things. you may want to give pogoing a try early on because it's often useful & mandatory to proceed in some places

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks and if I get really confused I might do the progression guide anyway. that may actually be really helpful for me, but we'll see how it goes first.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Oh, fair enough! I didn't think it was that bad. The link contains a good number of map location names, and the movement powerups you can obtain -- proceed at your own risk.
cheers :shobon:

Obviously everyone enjoys these sorts of games differently so I'm not trying to police anything here. I'm personally really glad I played it completely and utterly blind (I agree with Andrast that there is no wrong way to go) but I know a lot of people like to beeline for upgrades and stuff ASAP.

spoilers ahoy
it's also funny how much stuff is actually optional. I didn't get the double jump until I had cleared out like 98% of the map because I used pogoing to get to places. It's also funny to see people who somehow go around the entire map in the most roundabout way, like the person who mentioned going to the City of Tears from Deepnest -> Tram -> Ancient Basin -> Tram -> Kingdom's Edge -> City of Tears instead of just... going through the front gate. Everyone's experience is different and that's wonderful!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 18, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh the only thing I'd kinda recommend to someone playing for the first time would be to get the dream nail pretty early on, maybe after the boss in greenpath if it's possible at that time?
Even that probably doesn't matter too much in the long run, it's just nice to be able to have another fast travel option.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the only thing you should git early is gud

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually I could use a rec. I'm feeling a little undecided on where to go next and I also wouldn't mind getting that nail upgrade. So far I did the first area and green path. Last thing of note I did was fight hornet so I have the dash. Went to all the areas that were blocked via dash that could think of and all of them are either blocked by a second ability I need or seem a little tough. The only place iirc that I didn't get blocked off was the mines, but everything took forever to kill there so I was wondering if it's better to upgrade first and how I might go about doing that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My take on a beginner's list:
  • Once you get your first map you'll be able to buy map markers from one of the shops. Use them! Any time you run into something where you go, 'hmm I'll probably want to come back here' throw down a marker. I didn't do this and it's easily the #1 thing that would have made my playthrough a bit less frustrating.
  • Don't sweat whether you're going the 'right way' as there is no real right way. This game is primarily about wandering off and exploring and if you embrace that you'll get the most out of this game. Sometimes that means you won't go the #1 best route or whatever, but that won't matter as you won't realize there was an easier route until you start comparing notes with other players. Also- with that in mind....
  • Don't be afraid to retreat if a level is feeling a bit too spicy. You can genuinely brute force your way through the hardest levels with just starting equipment if you know what you're doing. But also remember that you will always have a dozen of other paths you can be going down if you decide you want to try something different. You've been using your markers, right?
  • Also- don't expect any of the levels to be too easy either. Even if you play the game in the most efficient order it will still be somewhat difficult. The game doesn't become 'easy' until the very end when you've essentially maxed out all of your equipment, unlocked all of your abilities, and acquired all of the charms. Even then the game still has some challenging levels up its sleeve.
  • Buy everything from the vendors. There are no 'worthless' purchases.
  • You can 'pogo' jump by slashing your nail downwards at just the right time allowing you to traverse spike pits and other obstacles. Practice doing this on enemies. This technique allows you to get to a lot of places early
  • Revisit old areas every now and then for the hell of it. There will be places you didn't even think to mark because they were so normal that actually lead to entire new levels once you've gained certain abilities.
  • Hit all the walls. Hidden walls are sometimes put in really weird places. You won't be able to find them all on your own so if you want to 100% you'll wind up needing a guide but even still- hit all the walls. You'll find a lot of stuff that way.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It makes me so happy to see this thread active again. How I wish I could experience this game again, for the first time. Whatever you end up doing, just make sure you absorb as much of the experience as you can :) .

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Actually I could use a rec. I'm feeling a little undecided on where to go next and I also wouldn't mind getting that nail upgrade. So far I did the first area and green path. Last thing of note I did was fight hornet so I have the dash. Went to all the areas that were blocked via dash that could think of and all of them are either blocked by a second ability I need or seem a little tough. The only place iirc that I didn't get blocked off was the mines, but everything took forever to kill there so I was wondering if it's better to upgrade first and how I might go about doing that.

sounds like you want to hit up the fungal wastes next. easiest way to get there is through the forgotten crossroads, lower left side of the map (there's a room with a ledge you need the airdash to reach).

you've still got a bit to go before you can upgrade the nail. the swordsmith npc is in the city of tears. you can access the city from the fungal wastes, but only after you collect one more major platforming upgrade

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's also a few places where foreground effects will intentionally be placed to cover up secret passages, namely secret vertical passages. The lighting around these will look a little off which is supposed to clue you in on there being empty space there rather than a wall.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was going to go sell some of my seals in the city of tears and the path is closed now. I guess that statue didn't open a permanent path?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I was going to go sell some of my seals in the city of tears and the path is closed now. I guess that statue didn't open a permanent path?

nope, the main gates will remain closed. use the stagways (or whichever route you used to leave the city, if you did so without opening a stag station)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

At this stage the game is loosely pointing you toward the city. Try and find it - there's two ways there, but both involve going deeper.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks, dudes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I actually would sorta recommend going through the mines first. You don't have the upgrade that lets you examine the area fully, but you can get to the bottom-right of the zone and get to something you'll want to do later anyway. As a bonus, that route eventually also leads to where you want to go!

E: There's no wrong way, though. If you've already started down that other suggested route then you can just stick with that.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 18, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mymla posted:

Tbh the only thing I'd kinda recommend to someone playing for the first time would be to get the dream nail pretty early on, maybe after the boss in greenpath if it's possible at that time?
Even that probably doesn't matter too much in the long run, it's just nice to be able to have another fast travel option.

You can actually get the dream nail extremely early, the only boss you need to beat is the Gruz mother in order to reach Sly, and collect 1800 geo to buy his lamp. This means you can use it in the false knight and first hornet fights.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just love how many different ways there are to progress in this game. Every time I find myself bashing against a boss, I just wander somewhere else for a while and by the time I meander back I've found a new trick or better tactics or different charms and what was once a roadblock is now just a good challenge.

This can, however, make it real tricky to figure what the heck I'm "supposed to be" doing next.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Darox posted:

You can actually get the dream nail extremely early, the only boss you need to beat is the Gruz mother in order to reach Sly, and collect 1800 geo to buy his lamp. This means you can use it in the false knight and first hornet fights.

I would definitely rush to get the lamp early, it may not be strictly required in order to beat the game but it does grant a lot of peace of mind and makes navigating certain areas so much easier. Also the Gathering Swarm charm owns early on at all times.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 19, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

YggiDee posted:

I just love how many different ways there are to progress in this game. Every time I find myself bashing against a boss, I just wander somewhere else for a while and by the time I meander back I've found a new trick or better tactics or different charms and what was once a roadblock is now just a good challenge.

This can, however, make it real tricky to figure what the heck I'm "supposed to be" doing next.

If you're ever unsure of where to go next simply look at your map and try to find paths at the edges that haven't been traversed yet. You can basically do that until you get to a point where it will start explicitly telling you where to go.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I would definitely rush to get the lamp early, it may not strictly required in order to beat the game but it does grant a lot of peace of mind and makes navigating certain areas so much easier. Also the Gathering Swarm charm owns early on at all times.

You want to be wearing Gathering Swam all the goddamn time, and it should 100% be your first purchase. I'd say also Greed, but I imagine it's not *that* great an idea first time through the game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:cry: OH GOD IM FIGHTING THE MANTIS LORDS :cry:

This game loving owns.
:allears:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Learn the attack patterns, get ambitious. Start to rush down there in later playthroughs so you can wreck them for the items gained after.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's funny that the one really cheap rear end move hornet does could be negated by the ability you get from fighting her.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Learn the attack patterns, get ambitious. Start to rush down there in later playthroughs so you can wreck them for the items gained after.

Yeah that fight owned. Took about five deaths but I consistently got better at each attempt. Which sums up this game in a nutshell. :black101:

I can see why it’s popular to rush down here soon, wish I had that upgrade a lot sooner...

I’m guessing that I should listen to the games warning about entering Tourian Deepnest until I’m ready?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah that fight owned. Took about five deaths but I consistently got better at each attempt. Which sums up this game in a nutshell. :black101:

I can see why it’s popular to rush down here soon, wish I had that upgrade a lot sooner...

I’m guessing that I should listen to the games warning about entering Tourian Deepnest until I’m ready?

Honestly? It's not that big a deal difficulty-wise. But is a fairly large area with some content only reachable late game, and I like completing the entire thing in one go. If you don't, you might have to back-track a fair bit. For only that reason I'd advise against it.

However, going in entirely unprepared and low level can be a unique experience (ask Joseph Anderson for example). It might be worth it.