Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why is the title so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

why is the title so bad.

Matches expectations for the game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

why is the title so bad.

"witty" titles are annoying and stupid

e: of course, with me saying that, it's probably going to get changed now

Node fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 16, 2018

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I think we're all just waiting for the next "This could turn it around for Vanguard." style quote to really seal the deal and give this thread the title it deserves.

It's just a matter of time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Freakazoid_ posted:

You pretty much described DAoC's battlegrounds. Easily accessible at different levels, especially on servers with free level 20's/30's and sometimes better balanced than end-game RvR.

Yeah, WAR was just a post WoW version of DAoC with somehow worse netcoding.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I added some stuff to the OP. Class descriptions were released for three classes

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/monk/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/ranger/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/rogue/

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Sounds like Ranger isn't a pet class, which is nice. I'm not a fan of pet classes but I like the general theme of bow users. Most MMOs mix those.
FFXI RNG was a blast, I wish more were like that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

keep it down up there! posted:

Sounds like Ranger isn't a pet class, which is nice. I'm not a fan of pet classes but I like the general theme of bow users. Most MMOs mix those.
FFXI RNG was a blast, I wish more were like that.

They are pulling their influence more from EQ, in which rangers weren't pet classes either.

It also took them like 3-4 expansions to get EQ1 ranger bows to be actually worthwhile as opposed to something you spend a shitload of money (level and skill appropriate fletching materials cost $$cashmoney$$ to feed) with to do substandard damage even compared to a rangers already mediocre melee damage output at the time.

It's hard to underestimate how bad EQ rangers were and for how long. It was really something tragic. Here's hoping Pantheon rangers aren't total poo poo as well.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Nagging question. Will bow graphics have bow strings. Why this bothers me in mmos that have bows with no strings, I do not know, but it does.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always felt bad for people that loved rangers because man that musta been a drag playing your entire eq career as one.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

DeathSandwich posted:

They are pulling their influence more from EQ, in which rangers weren't pet classes either.

It also took them like 3-4 expansions to get EQ1 ranger bows to be actually worthwhile as opposed to something you spend a shitload of money (level and skill appropriate fletching materials cost $$cashmoney$$ to feed) with to do substandard damage even compared to a rangers already mediocre melee damage output at the time.

It's hard to underestimate how bad EQ rangers were and for how long. It was really something tragic. Here's hoping Pantheon rangers aren't total poo poo as well.

The "rangers so bad lol" stuff carried on into EQ2 as well, especially since they were regularly on the nerf end of a patch cycle. When it came to raiding no one wanted them. When I left the game they were (finally) pretty solid, but had languished for years as the Assassin's retarded cousin.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
How hard is it to go "They are just spell casters with arrow spells" or some such? I mean really, it's not a complicated process. What was so relentless poo poo about them?

e: I mean WoW Hunters were pretty useless for a little bit, but it didn't take them *that* long to approach relevance. I've heard from a few people that EQ Rangers were just terrible forever.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 9, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hybrids in everquest were 2/3 warrior and 1/3 the respective caster (paladin 1/3 cleric, shadow knight 1/3 necro, ranger 1/3 druid). the problem was rangers were more like 1/3 warrior 1/3 druid 1/3 poo poo.

don't get why they didn't just make them archers with some druid spells - if i was a guy who liked playing rangers that's what i'd want to do. especially for a game that revolved around grouping. i think arrows only crit on non-rooted stationary targets too which is insane.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really don't want this game to suck but my heart still tells me it will. Is there anything yet about an open beta though?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Ffxi Rangers were pretty baller during the 2005-2008 Era.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

EQ rangers were dog poo poo until luclin, then they were just a little stinky cat turd, then their arrow DPS was up to par for like 1/2 an expansion, then their melee DPS surpassed arrow DPS again and they never touched their bows again.

Thank you for listening to bad EQ history.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I really don't want this game to suck but my heart still tells me it will. Is there anything yet about an open beta though?

They're estimating a 2020 release I think, so maybe mid 2019 or later. It's all speculation at this point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The class descriptions sound cool and pretty unique from each other so far. I like the various utility abilities each bring to the table.

Ranger sounds especially dope. You can summon a controllable ferret or bird to scout ahead, use a fire arrow as a torch in a dungeon, place an alert arrow to let you know a patrol is coming...I love stuff like that. It almost sounds like playing one of the Thief games.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I bet the alert arrow will be useless just like sentinel was useless in EQ

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MF_James posted:

I love bad useless skills

I once started an enchanter in EQ just for minor illusion

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MF_James posted:

it was very useful for crashing everyone's computers when you used it near masses of players.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I added the tank class info that was just released. Dire Lord, Paladin and Warrior info is now in the OP. Also:

http://massivelyop.com/2018/06/14/pantheon-gets-ready-for-pre-alpha-3-and-throws-all-of-its-features-into-a-single-zone/

quote:

The third pre-alpha build (which will include four zones and a level cap of 40) is on the way for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, and the Visionary Realms team has a lot to talk about as it shares a trio of new classes.

With this newsletter, VR debuted a section called “under wraps” in which it could share some of its design philosophies and upcoming projects. Discussion was given as to how the team approached the “horizontal identity” of classes: “These is the parts of a class that make them feel like they genuinely belong in the world. This is the immersion factor […] These are the elements that give our classes a tangible place in a shared world.”

The studio also shared an early look at the zone of Faerthale, a beginning zone for some of Pantheon’s Elves and the first zone planned to have all gameplay systems integrated. This is a huge deal for the game, as there are so many systems to include for a feature-complete zone. These include the day/night cycles, time-based spawns, specific atmospheres, the perception system, harvesting, places to climb, and NPC dispositions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'll have not one but two mana bars as a Paladin I have to watch over? Boycotting this game.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
"turned a Composer into a Creative Director and Lead Game Designer."

Yeah, that fills me with confidence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Node posted:

I'll have not one but two mana bars as a Paladin I have to watch over? Boycotting this game.

it sounds cool, as a paladin guy, to me.

Pigbottom posted:

"turned a Composer into a Creative Director and Lead Game Designer."

Yeah, that fills me with confidence.

anyone can be a game designer, it doesn't really take any qualifications.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it sounds cool, as a paladin guy, to me.

But it does take experience, especially for something as complex as an mmo. If the guy went from composer to game design in one jump how much experience do you think he had?

I'm obsessed with games and I played everything I could put my hands on since I was a kid. I think I know a lot about games, but that doesn't make me qualified to design an mmo. Of course, I might be wrong and the guy may be a genius, but excuse me if I don't trust it until I see it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blizzard hired the dude who ran their raiding guild in eq to do dungeon design for wow.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Groovelord Neato posted:

blizzard hired the dude who ran their raiding guild in eq to do dungeon design for wow.

Blizzard also has a bazillion employees, so its easier to do something like this. How many people are actually working on Pantheon?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i didn't even realize i was talking about jeff kaplan.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i didn't even realize i was talking about jeff kaplan.

Wasn't that dude's EQ name something like "Tigole Biddies"?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yes. He went by Tigule while working on WoW. Furor changed his to Foror.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Groovelord Neato posted:

hey now, that guy also went on to be the lead designer of a billion-dollar team shooter franchise

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Groovelord Neato posted:

quick reminder that ghostcrawler, hailed by a lot of idiots as the best wow designer ever, was a marine biologist

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Ad by Khad posted:

quick reminder that ghostcrawler, hailed by a lot of idiots as the best wow designer ever, was a marine biologist

Feels like the days of being able to freely switch careers are over though

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There have been times in MMO design history where things seemed a bit incestual, but probably because the market for them were kinda small.

And then kickstarters happened and grandma and grandpa wanted kids again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Verbose posted:

How so?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

Blizzard also has a bazillion employees, so its easier to do something like this. How many people are actually working on Pantheon?

Not many people on the pay roll. The last I saw anything about hiring, Visionary Realms was asking people to volunteer their time to the game and work for free.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Verbose posted:

I don't agree. Eve Online for years has hired people based on their reddit posts. Ocean Quigley got to be the head of an entire Simcity project because he was some random artist that had been with the company forever. Lots of developers who worked on that abysmal tire fire Wildstar were rewarded by being picked up by Blizzard.

Even on topic in this very thread, Pantheon is taking volunteers. You could experience a rewarding career change right now.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

I don't agree. Eve Online for years has hired people based on their reddit posts. Ocean Quigley got to be the head of an entire Simcity project because he was some random artist that had been with the company forever. Lots of developers who worked on that abysmal tire fire Wildstar were rewarded by being picked up by Blizzard.

Even on topic in this very thread, Pantheon is taking volunteers. You could experience a rewarding career change right now.

You're not really switching careers going from one dev studio to another. I think the quote meant it's not as easy to go from playing video games to designing one like tigole did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yeah, he’s also the guy that made a lengthy blogpost about how his guild missed a world first EQ raid boss kill because he accidentally sliced his sack open shaving in the shower.