Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As noted, it is totally solvable. Given that there must overall be more goats than sheep, but one of the two cousins gets more sheep than goats, the other cousin must get at least 2 more goats than sheep to make sure there's enough goats. If we assume that cousin has 1 sheep and 3 goats, then the cousin that gets more goats must get at least 4 goats, and at least 5 sheep. 4 goats and 5 sheep, plus 1 sheep and 3 goats, would satisfy all of the requirements except for the grand total being too low (13 instead of 16). Give the lesser cousin 1 more goat, then 1 extra goat and sheep to the greater cousin, to make the total come out right.

EDIT: update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fairly easy without the hint.

There's more total goats than total sheep, thus there are at least nine goats and at most seven sheep.
Gattar gets more goats than his cousin, so he has to receive at least five goats; however, the cousin gets at least one sheep, so Gattar can receive at most six sheep.
Gattar gets more sheep than goats, so the only option is exactly six sheep and five goats; the cousin then gets one sheep and four goats

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My logic was similar to Omobono's.

• The first two clues set the minimum number of goats to nine.
  • The next two clues suggest the number of goats is close to the minimum, since they seem to be limiting the number of goats available overall.
  • At this point I guessed nine goats and looked for a contradiction. Nine goats total means I can get 5 and my cousin 4. If that's the case, I must get at least six sheep. Since there are sixteen animals total, that leaves a single sheep left to give to my cousin, which in turn means that this is going to be the only workable solution.

So, I get five goats and six sheep, and my cousin will receive four goats and one sheep.

I hope his cousin is OK with nonzero sum games where he's not the leader.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Dated References
In which we encounter a meme that was already getting played out at the time this game was brand new.

Don't take the last question of the puzzle too seriously.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I hope his cousin is OK with nonzero sum games where he's not the leader.
Maybe if he were actually trying to solve the riddle he'd have a leg to stand on. Or maybe he already solved it and isn't telling Gattar out of spite since he knows he's getting screwed.

I mean there are plenty of legitimate reasons why Gattar's cousin might get fewer animals. Maybe he's younger and doesn't command as much social weight and thus isn't considered worthy of being rewarded more than that. Maybe Gattar did most of the work, or had the special skill the sheik needed for his task. But I don't think that much thought was put into this. We're lucky Gattar even has a name, to be quite honest.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I admit, I had to look at the hint, but I was trying to solve it in the five minutes before brunch. My guess is that originally there was no hint as to how many of each animal there were, but someone felt it was too difficult that way.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
oh boy, I can't wait for the swallow to show up

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
What are we pairing it with? If it's fish or chicken we should go with the lighter on the palate Chateau D'Alfar, but if it's something richer like beef the heavier body of Sang du Demon would work well.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think the real puzzle of the djinn is that he says he'll ask 9 questions but he gives you your hint after only 8.

And I'm pretty sure our answer to the wine question doesn't matter at all.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
This makes way more sense than when it happened in Fallout.

Also, for someone who's been imprisoned in brass for 1,600 years that djinn is remarkably well informed.

Also also, we saw from the traveling merchant a book that would ensure our piety even if we were ourselves unbelievers. Here we see a "test of piety" mentioned. Was that book one of the ways through, perhaps? Or was it another swindle?

Meanwhile, we've been told that as long as we have the sword Valtierre, we may trust to our valor. Unless we are disarmed, the test of valor is the test we should take.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Love reading smart people solve puzzles! Shame there's been no geometry/spatial puzzles yet. The question regarding what our quest is seems a bit open-ended, is it asking short term or long term? We are delivering a message, that's that :colbert:

The three questions also remind me of getting into the wizard tower in Quest for Glory. Fun stuff.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Skanker posted:

The three questions also remind me of getting into the wizard tower in Quest for Glory. Fun stuff.

This, the wizard tower in QfG1, the Bridgekeeper random encounter in Fallout 2, and the quite possibly the Bridgekeeper in Might and Magic 1 as well are all extended references to the Bridge of Death scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I feel bad that I was too groggy to think well when I first saw the sheep and goat puzzle, and by the time I could get to solving puzzles, it was far too late. Well, things have been going along interestingly thus far...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Everyone knows that their own hometown has the best ____ in the world. In Weith's case, this is obviously wine.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Digestive Problems
In which we get past one random puzzle-giver only to run smack into another.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
The pairs listed as being the same race/job have to belong to the one with three, otherwise there's not a spot left for either one in the pair listed as different. Thus Saladin and Barbarossa are both Atarri, Tamburlane and Jenghiz are both merchants, and Attila is the only one who can be a Tercelid warrior.

And the full list extrapolated from that just for kicks:
Saladin: Atarri warrior
Barbarossa: Atarri merchant
Tamburlane: Tercelid merchant
Attila: Tercelid warrior
Jenghiz: Atarri merchant

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If Attila and Jenghiz are not of the same race that means 1 of them must be Atarri and 1 of them must be Tercelid. That leaves 2 Atarri and 1 Tercelid left.

Saladin and Barbarossa have to be the same race so they must both be Atarri since there is only 1 Tercelid outside of Attila/Jenghiz.

That leaves one race unaccounted for, so Tamburlane must be the remaining Tercelid.

By the same logic, Tamburlane/Jenghiz must both be merchants since Barbarossa/Attila include 1 merchant and 1 warrior, which leaves Saladin as the remaining warrior.

At this point we have fully identified two of the dragon's meals: Saladin was an Atarri warrior and Tamburlane was a Tercelid merchant. The identities of the other three are indeterminate, except the dragon already told us he ate a Tercelid warrior so we know there must be one. We already know Barbarossa is an Atarri and Jenghiz was a merchant. By process of elimination, Attila is the only one that can be both Tercelid and a warrior, so he must be the Tercelid warrior the dragon last ate.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm disappointed there wasn't either a different death screen or something returning us to the questions for the 'To Seek The Grail' answer. Why use the joke if you're not going to run with it as far as humanly possible?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The answer is Attila.

Since there are two of the same race (Saladin & Barbarossa) plus one of either Attila or Jenghiz, they must be Atarri.
Likewise, Tamburlane & Jenghiz are merchants, with one of Barbarossa or Attila being one as well.

This determines the remaining person's race and occupation, respectively: Tamburlane is a Tercelid, and Saladin is a warrior.
Moreover, Saladin is an Atarri warrior, and since there must be at least one Tercelid warrior, Barbarossa is a merchant.

Which means Attila must be a warrior, and necessarily a Tercelid, unless the dragon's inconsistent.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This is a mess, but it should make sense:

R = 3At; 2Te
O = 3M; 2W

SR = BR
AR != JR
TO = JO
BO != AO
Last = TeW

SR = BR therefore At
AR != JR therefore Tamburlane was Tercelid

TO = JO therefore M
BO != AO therefore Saladin was a Warrior

Saladin = Atarri Warrior
Barbarossa = Atarri ???
Tamburlane = Tercelid Merchant
Atilla = ??? ???
Jenghiz = ??? Merchant

One must be Tercelid warrior therefore Jenghiz is Atarri Merchant (Barbarossa is the 3rd Merchant)

Atilla is the Tercelid Warrior

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The dragon is full of crap because all of them are warriors, Attila is a hun and Genghis is a Mongol, Barbarossa is Spanish German, kinda. I guess Saladin is an Arab.

That leaves us with Timur the lame, which was a Turk, and thus closest to a Tercelid.

:colbert:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 18, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

HardDiskD posted:

The dragon is full of crap

Well duh, it just ate!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we have evidence in this very thread that the dragon merely ate a bowl of kids' breakfast cereal.

HardDiskD posted:

Barbarossa is Spanish.

:confused: Which Barbarossa are you talking about?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

I think we have evidence in this very thread that the dragon merely ate a bowl of kids' breakfast cereal.

This got me to check the wiki page for Barbarossa, which has this line in the Arts and media section

Wikipedia posted:

The Barbaroosa, a fictional pirate ship in the Miniskirt Pirates light novel series by Yūichi Sasamoto and corresponding anime Bodacious Space Pirates

oookaaaay....

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kangra posted:

whoops I was thinking of this guy

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: My Cousin Is A Blacksmith, In Fact
In which we embark upon an epic quest to save a troubled people from Aboud's cruel machinations, then get stymied by yet another guy asking us questions about grammar.

It's a shame that this puzzle could've been way harder than it actually is.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Oxymoron. "No, you're an oxymoron!"

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Indeed, "oxymoron" is the word he seeks. Was the goal to rack up connection charges while the youthful player rifled through a dictionary?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ManxomeBromide posted:

Indeed, "oxymoron" is the word he seeks. Was the goal to rack up connection charges while the youthful player rifled through a dictionary?

I have to assume that was a guiding principle behind the design. Why else have the mazes (which are impossible to lose and thus far have not played any part in any puzzles), or failure states that consist of anything more than just booting you back to the start of the encounter?

Incidentally, this game reminds me at times of the "Mind Maze" game in Microsoft's Encarta CD encyclopedia. As I recall, it consisted of wandering a maze and periodically having people pop up to ask you trivia questions.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^ i definitely 'played' that. I was all over Encarta back in the day. I'm glad I live in the hypertext era, so much better than paging to one of the articles listed as related in meatspace encyclopedias

HardDiskD posted:

I guess Saladin is an Arab.

he was Kurdish fwiw

I forget if I've posted in here yet, either way I guess I wanna thank the op for showing us gaming history, and it's a fun game to walk along with, to add a little more meat to this pedantic post

there was also another Barbarossa who was like a pirate captain for the Ottomans, I think he was ethnic Albanian. just to complicate things a little more

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 19, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Read this from beginning to end. I remember the NAPLPS (And ANSI, and Commodore Graphics, &c) format, and did some pretty involved searching for the render pattern you mentioned, but then I realized that it will probably not exist, because the only way to get NAPLPS to render in "real time" would be if someone pointed a camera at their monitor back in the day, because the NAPLPS decoder is lightning fast now so you wouldn't get that drawing effect. You also would have trouble duplicating the incrementalism of it introduced by the dial up connection, and why would anyone record that? It'd be like recording a picture of a naked lady slowly appearing on your screen from a.b.p.e.p.

You can kind of see it in this Prodigy commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4UDR1dci0

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the MadMaze graphics were among the more complex NAPLPS made. I've generated SVGs programmatically, which is similar in theory, but can still be a pain in the rear end to get anything artful made. The artist did some amazing things with an obtuse and limited toolset.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Our Foe, The Whirlwind
In which we save the city of Sunit and proceed to the last maze, guaranteeing we will never actually see or hear of Sunit again.

It's a thankless job, being a messenger/problem solver/knight/grammarian.

Scaramouche posted:

You also would have trouble duplicating the incrementalism of it introduced by the dial up connection, and why would anyone record that? It'd be like recording a picture of a naked lady slowly appearing on your screen from a.b.p.e.p.

You can kind of see it in this Prodigy commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4UDR1dci0

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the MadMaze graphics were among the more complex NAPLPS made. I've generated SVGs programmatically, which is similar in theory, but can still be a pain in the rear end to get anything artful made. The artist did some amazing things with an obtuse and limited toolset.
It's really an interesting thing, an art form and style lost to time due to the simple obsolescence of the factors that brought it about. NAPLPS over dialup is just something that doesn't exist anymore; the format itself is now so simple and well-optimized that it could never be as slow as it was on computers in the early 90s, and bandwidth is so easily obtained and suited to the task of delivery that you'd never be able to see the art draw itself like you could, and like the artist doubtless would've experienced while making it (and probably intended; you can tell sometimes by looking at what he draws first, such as the blacksmith who would be a dark outline then "lit up" by the false lighting effects). And like you said, we have almost no records of this because there's no rational reason to record something like this... and now that we can do so for reasons of historical interest, we're too technologically advanced to replicate the effect.

I really want to emphasize how difficult this must have been for Mark Zweigler. The art in this game doesn't look great in comparison to its time (it doesn't even really stack up to Sierra games older than itself), but considering the format it's absolutely incredible work of staggering complexity. It's like hiring one of today's best pixel artists, tying both hands behind their backs, and asking them to do their thing with nothing but their teeth and the Paint program on an old Macintosh. And though there is some recycling going on, Zweigler still produced over a hundred pieces of original art for this game. I can't even imagine how long that took.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Zweigler's skill with the format improves as we go through the game; I'll talk about this more after the palace but there were delays in implementing each level as the development team worked and released. The game itself shows some signs of this on the technical end, but the same is true of the art. We'll see some things in the upcoming third level that are vastly higher-quality than what we've been looking at already. A few pieces that I'd argue are even just plain good pixel art.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 19, 2018

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nakar posted:

It's really an interesting thing, an art form and style lost to time due to the simple obsolescence of the factors that brought it about. NAPLPS over dialup is just something that doesn't exist anymore; the format itself is now so simple and well-optimized that it could never be as slow as it was on computers in the early 90s, and bandwidth is so easily obtained and suited to the task of delivery that you'd never be able to see the art draw itself like you could, and like the artist doubtless would've experienced while making it (and probably intended; you can tell sometimes by looking at what he draws first, such as the blacksmith who would be a dark outline then "lit up" by the false lighting effects). And like you said, we have almost no records of this because there's no rational reason to record something like this... and now that we can do so for reasons of historical interest, we're too technologically advanced to replicate the effect.

You've reminded me a lot of the old The Hobbit text adventure on the ZX Spectrum - that has a similar incremental way of drawing out the graphics for the few illustrated locations. You can see three of these in the first minute of this walkthrough here.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Actually the art in this game is really impressive to me and I love it. Got a hard time wrapping my head around how it would work real-time but my reference point is old Sierra AGI games drawing screens like in this tweet

...and those are always impressive. Getting to follow along the process of creating a piece is and always will be fascinating.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure anyone that can create a NAPLPS emulator or parser can add in artificial delays.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

When I was a kid, I had a series of kid's VHS tapes that would draw in scenes in the same way, so I know exactly what you are talking about, and I believe it was made using a Commodore 64 or some other computer of the time. I just wish I knew what it was called so I could share it, but all I remember was that at least one of the stories was The Owl and the Pussycat. It was an entire series from what I recall, and all used this drawing method, which is probably why I love this style.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Nakar posted:

I am as disappointed as you are that 'A Fimbator Baragon' is not an option again.

I like to imagine that if MadMaze was remade today, the developer would add the option to cast the "warp to shaman" spell at any point you could use magic, with the shaman becoming increasingly irritated every time you randomly decide to teleport into his living room.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Two: Our Pal, The Whirlwind
In which we re-enact that Val Kilmer movie by getting high and wandering out into the desert. You know, Top Gun.

Up next, we'll be entering the Citadel of Osmet Khan! Expect a short update, for we must first actually get past the palace's external security. As we were warned, there are multiple trials, which means a ton of different options to present (and a ton of ways to die, but that will wait for the update after next). Even after that, this PoP is absolutely gigantic, with a ton of options and things to do and do wrong before we even reach the three trials that protect the Talisman of Chugotai. Like the Castle Perilous, expect to be here a while before we finally get on to the third level.

Rebonack7 posted:

I like to imagine that if MadMaze was remade today, the developer would add the option to cast the "warp to shaman" spell at any point you could use magic, with the shaman becoming increasingly irritated every time you randomly decide to teleport into his living room.
Ironic that we somehow run into him anyway!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
So the Nightingale gives you everything you need, too? Interesting.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I am somewhat disappointed in the example of zeugma, though the term has a lot of meanings. The example that usually comes to mind for me is "The Empire shall execute its laws and its citizens as it sees fit", but the wiki page provides a superb example from a British comedy duo I had never heard of:

quote:

When he asked "What in heaven?" she made no reply, up her mind, and a dash for the door.

Here you're applying the same word to multiple things that don't match, but individually they do and the word warps and twists in your understanding as you work through the sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

curiousCat posted:

So the Nightingale gives you everything you need, too? Interesting.
Either bird is fine, just picking the roc as your spirit bird kills you. Because of course it would.

• Locked thread