Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Can’t you use an external USB drive for the Shield instead of using the 500 GB variant? Also, isn’t that a spinning disk rather than a 500 GB SSD?

i don't think you are able to use external storage for the plex server data. it needs to store all the posters, artwork, thumbnails, etc. on the internal drive. i think the ability to move it to an external drive is in beta right now. i believe the 500gb is a spinning disk and the 16gb is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is 16gb enough for that function?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

tuyop posted:

Depends on how big your Plex library is. I have a little over 8TB of media, and my Plex Media Server data directory size is 25GB.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

tuyop posted:

Depends on the number of items in your library.

Anyway, external storage should work now (haven't tested it myself) : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054328/shield-tv/plex-media-server-app-data-can-now-use-external-usb-storage/

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

it depends. it's enough if you're only storing posters and fanart. i have ~3000 movies and a bunch of television shows and it was fine on the 16gb Shield. BUT, if you turn on chapter thumbnails (a la Netflix) it will quickly eat up all that space. i wanted them so i returned the 16gb and went for the 500gb version instead. the next day they announced the ability to move plex data to an external drive but i couldn't be bothered to do another return and rebuild my library so i kept it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Why is it that when I mount my shared media drive on Shield it will only show the Users folder? It was just working a day ago, before I had to solve an unrelated problem with my router, which involved resetting a couple things.

It did this before, but I haven't the faintest clue how I solved it the first time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What sharing protocol are you using?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is Plex Server installed and updated?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I don't know if this stupid question has been answered in the last 264 pages, but are there video cards for desktop computers now that do HDMI-CEC?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

evobatman posted:

I don't know if this stupid question has been answered in the last 264 pages, but are there video cards for desktop computers now that do HDMI-CEC?

The Shield does

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I don't think so, probably need a CEC injector if you want that.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

tuyop posted:

What sharing protocol are you using?

I enabled SMB 1.0 in windows on the server box. Everything is the same there except for some static ip stuff.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TomR posted:

I don't think so, probably need a CEC injector if you want that.

This.

The HDFury Vertex and Integral do it, and clean up a lot of other HDMI nonsense as well.

New they are a little pricey but you can usually find a used Integral cheap - look in the for sale section of AVSforum.com. Usually somebody upgrading to the Vertex (which you don't need if CEC injection is your main goal) selling theirs for cheap.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I think I remember reading that you should use the built in apps on the LG C7 instead of the Shield for certain programs. Is that true? The hard drive in my Intel NUC died so I've just used the TV for Plex and Netflix which have been fine. I wish I had the HTPC for a browser but the crap LG one has been mostly ok or I've plugged in my laptop.

Now I'm just wondering why I need the Shield. Is the UI that much better? Maybe there's some games I'd want to play on it? Looks like I can use a dual shock and wouldn't need to get the controller bundle.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I really dislike the current state of things.

All Android TV setups built into TV are slow and garbage.

In some bizarre twist of reality, TVs with Roku integration both run the best and are from the sketchiest, least-proven TV-makers out there (though things look promising for them).

Apple TV 4K is technically great, but locked down for anyone that doesn’t own a Mac (i.e. can’t run Xcode to side load Kodi or MrMC).

Nvidia Shield is technically great, but has internals from 2015 and still can’t auto-switch color spaces properly, even under Oreo.

All of the cheaper, ultra-sketchy Kodi boxes are basically only good if they’re single-purposed and run Kodi ONLY - there is none that has good hardware and runs Android TV as nicely as the Shield does.

Basically the best device is an Apple TV 4K because of how it can autoswitch resolution and color spaces seamlesslessy, paired with a Mac running Xcode so you can load MrMC on it. Am I wrong on this? I don’t own a Mac but I’d be willing to go through the trouble of virtualizing MacOS to get Xcode going...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bobfather posted:

In some bizarre twist of reality, TVs with Roku integration both run the best and are from the sketchiest, least-proven TV-makers out there (though things look promising for them).

Apple TV 4K is technically great, but locked down for anyone that doesn’t own a Mac (i.e. can’t run Xcode to side load Kodi or MrMC).

Nvidia Shield is technically great, but has internals from 2015 and still can’t auto-switch color spaces properly, even under Oreo.

All of the cheaper, ultra-sketchy Kodi boxes are basically only good if they’re single-purposed and run Kodi ONLY - there is none that has good hardware and runs Android TV as nicely as the Shield does.

Basically the best device is an Apple TV 4K because of how it can autoswitch resolution and color spaces seamlesslessy, paired with a Mac running Xcode so you can load MrMC on it. Am I wrong on this? I don’t own a Mac but I’d be willing to go through the trouble of virtualizing MacOS to get Xcode going...

The game consoles, while they do have drawbacks (price is a big one), are still good options you missed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What about Apple TV with Plex on an NAS?

And in what cases does the shield need to switch color spaces? I’m not really sure what that means unless you’re trying to run illustrator and photoshop on the thing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tuyop posted:

And in what cases does the shield need to switch color spaces? I’m not really sure what that means unless you’re trying to run illustrator and photoshop on the thing.

It's an HDR/non-HDR thing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

tuyop posted:

Basically the Shield can be in SDR mode or HDR mode. Keeping it in one lets you view that mode’s content great, but screws up colors in the other mode.

In Oreo there is supposedly “better” color interpolation from keeping it in HDR mode and then playing SDR content.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
So how do you switch between them if you watch something in HDR and then switch to something SDR?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

My friend, there is nothing sketchy about TCL and the series 6 TVs are the best price to performance sets you can buy today. I have the 65'' and it equals my Sony downstairs that was almost twice the price. I've calibrated both with the X1 Displaypro meter and Chromapure so I'm not just going off the out of the box experience. HDR and DV look great on it. It's also a fantastic TV for gaming and they are about to update them to support the new Xbox One update that auto-switches to game (low latency) mode. The latter is around 15ms btw.

And yes the built in Roku software is the poo poo on these TVs.

The new Roku Ultra standalones are also great. Much better than prior years. One drawback is no Kodi however if you run Plex the Plex client itself is probably the best I've seen - it is miles ahead of the Plex client for Android TV anyway - and it plays high bitrate HEVC HDR remuxes and everything else like a champ. And no problems with resolution and colorspace switching.

Roku has really been getting their poo poo together lately with the new hardware and Roku OS 8. The downside is older hardware isn't easily upgradable, you pretty much need to have the newer stuff (the Ultra was updated in late 2017 for example).

I was a huge fan of the Shield, but the recent Android TV UX update combined with still lovely colorspace switching, etc. in Oreo made me reconsider once I got the TCL and discovered how seemless the Roku stuff is now. HDR/4k just works, all the time, along with everything else. And they do a better job with 24p playback (supported for Netflix now) than they used to. Older Roku hardware was pretty lovely from a videophile perspective and it also had a crap UI and ran some apps slow but all that has changed.

Once I discovered the Subzero addon channel for Plex server - which does a far better job grabbing subtitles automatically than the built in service, supports multiple services with weighting for correct matches, and allows you to specify forced subs only among other things - I started using the Plex client exclusively. Super-smooth, easy to find stuff, voice search if you like, direct plays most content, subs work great and I don't have to manually download them now, and if you turn on thumbnail generation in the Plex server you get nice little thumbnails when you ff/rw through stuff - even HDR titles (though the thumbs look washed out for those because they aren't created in HDR , not that it matters really). It's really nice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bobfather posted:

The internals of the shield are already way overkill for what it is. There's no need for anything more powerful.

The colors space poo poo is bad though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

MrMC is available on the App store, you don't need to sideload it. The whole reason it exists as a fork of Kodi is so it can get on the Apple and Amazon stores because they removed support for user installed addons (pirate TV addons are why Kodi got banned from both in the first place). It does have a number of pre-installed "vetted" addons and skins though, and does most of the Kodi stuff people like.

If you don't want to go the Roku route like I did (meaning no Kodi and use Plex instead) then the ATV is a decent option, yes, assuming you A) Don't care about user-installed addons w/MrMC or B) Are willing to go the XCode route to install Kodi itself.

Hopefully the Shield will get its HDR woes corrected and the new Android TV guide will be a little more refined (to their credit they are already adjusting it based on feedback) but not holding my breath on the first one.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

MrMC is available on the App store, you don't need to sideload it. The whole reason it exists as a fork of Kodi is so it can get on the Apple and Amazon stores because they removed support for user installed addons (pirate TV addons are why Kodi got banned from both in the first place). It does have a number of pre-installed "vetted" addons and skins though, and does most of the Kodi stuff people like.

If you don't want to go the Roku route like I did (meaning no Kodi and use Plex instead) then the ATV is a decent option, yes, assuming you A) Don't care about user-installed addons w/MrMC or B) Are willing to go the XCode route to install Kodi itself.

Hopefully the Shield will get its HDR woes corrected and the new Android TV guide will be a little more refined (to their credit they are already adjusting it based on feedback) but not holding my breath on the first one.

Hey Ixian, I took your advice and got a TCL 55R615 for upstairs casual viewing. So far its pretty good but one problem - the Plex app just crashes on startup and drops back to the Roku home screen. I've updated the system, removed the channel, restarted, etc. Did you have any problems with this? I can't get it to launch and I'm reluctant to return the TV because I had to drive 2 hours across the US border to get it. The lack of Kodi I can get around but I need Plex, otherwise I have to stick with the Shield up there and then get into swapping back and forth for Dolby Vision which is a pain in the rear end.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Hey Ixian, I took your advice and got a TCL 55R615 for upstairs casual viewing. So far its pretty good but one problem - the Plex app just crashes on startup and drops back to the Roku home screen. I've updated the system, removed the channel, restarted, etc. Did you have any problems with this? I can't get it to launch and I'm reluctant to return the TV because I had to drive 2 hours across the US border to get it. The lack of Kodi I can get around but I need Plex, otherwise I have to stick with the Shield up there and then get into swapping back and forth for Dolby Vision which is a pain in the rear end.

What do you mean swapping back and forth?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

What do you mean swapping back and forth?

Having to swap between the Shield TV and the Roku to load different clients. The Shield TV doesn't support Dolby Vision for example but the Roku does. I wanted to do everything on the TCL TV but Plex just crashes at startup. So I'm left using Netflix on the Roku and everything else on the Shield. It's just clumsy and annoying, especially with the Harmony thrown into the mix.

Right now I have different activities setup to do each and it works but it's kind of a kludge.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

Never. Do you have PlexPass? If you do use that channel for the client, it's always up to date: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=plexpass. And delete the other channel, then Settings>System>Power>Restart for the TV. Actually I would do that first, then add the PlexPass version.

Are you in Canada? I also wonder if there is a firmware mismatch due to different regions. You wouldn't think so but who the hell knows, the release schedule might be different.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Never. Do you have PlexPass? If you do use that channel for the client, it's always up to date: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=plexpass. And delete the other channel, then Settings>System>Power>Restart for the TV. Actually I would do that first, then add the PlexPass version.

Are you in Canada? I also wonder if there is a firmware mismatch due to different regions. You wouldn't think so but who the hell knows, the release schedule might be different.

I'm in Canada yeah. What versions do you have listed there? I fully updated the firmware/Plex and already tried the beta channel. Both just dump out to the home screen.

I'm running Plex 5.3 Build 4. TV firmware says 8.0.2 Build 4140-30. I've tried setting the TV to Canada or the US during initial setup, doesn't seem to matter. Plex and PlexPass channels just both dump out to the home menu, this is so frustrating because I can't get any loving logging info from the TV.

Right now as a workaround I've got an activity that just swaps to Netflix on the TV and the Shield for everything else. Its fine for me but the WAF is very high.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 18, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm in Canada yeah. What versions do you have listed there? I fully updated the firmware/Plex and already tried the beta channel. Both just dump out to the home screen.

Right now as a workaround I've got an activity that just swaps to Netflix on the TV and the Shield for everything else. Its fine for me but the WAF is very high.

I'm on 8.0.2 build 4140-30. My TCL model is the 65R615, basically the size up from yours.

Plex Preview channel version is 5.3.4, which from the notes is currently on par with the release version.

I am running PMS on a FreeNAS server, version is 1.13.2.5142. That's one behind the current PlexPass version because updating on FreeNAS is a pain in the rear end.

I assume the Plex client works on your Shield? I know that client is hot garbage, just checking.

It's remotely possible it's a TV firmware bug if everything is up to date. The Roku Reddit has a couple threads about users with crashing apps (not just Plex) that ended up exchanging theirs for a working set. I know that isn't what you want to have to go through. Check everything else first and make sure you are up to date.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

I'm on 8.0.2 build 4140-30. My TCL model is the 65R615, basically the size up from yours.

Plex Preview channel version is 5.3.4, which from the notes is currently on par with the release version.

I am running PMS on a FreeNAS server, version is 1.13.2.5142. That's one behind the current PlexPass version because updating on FreeNAS is a pain in the rear end.

I assume the Plex client works on your Shield? I know that client is hot garbage, just checking.

It's remotely possible it's a TV firmware bug if everything is up to date. The Roku Reddit has a couple threads about users with crashing apps (not just Plex) that ended up exchanging theirs for a working set. I know that isn't what you want to have to go through. Check everything else first and make sure you are up to date.

Yeah Plex works fine on the Shield TV. The Roku literally can't even get past the splash screen, let alone sign in or select a server. Just shows the Plex logo and dumps right back to the home screen. Every other app works fine. I'll just use Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect addon on the Shield then. No way I'm driving all the way back just to exchange this thing. With my luck it will probably have the same problem. Not a great first impression with this built in STB stuff ugh. I guess I will just the Roku TV poo poo for Dolby Vision in apps and the Shield for everything else. Just won't be as clean or nice, so frustrating that it can't even give me a damned log file.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Really a shame you are in this situation - couldn't be more pleased with mine + Plex. There's got to be something off if it is just the Plex client doing this. If you have PlexPass you can post in the Pass-only support forum, they are usually decent about troubleshooting there. Just give all the details you can re: versions and whatnot.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Really a shame you are in this situation - couldn't be more pleased with mine + Plex. There's got to be something off if it is just the Plex client doing this. If you have PlexPass you can post in the Pass-only support forum, they are usually decent about troubleshooting there. Just give all the details you can re: versions and whatnot.

No worries, thanks for trying. I posted on the Plex forums, we'll see what happens. I guess worst case scenario I can just keep using this setup. It's just a bit awkward switching activities just to watch Netflix but oh well.

The alternative is returning the Shield TV and getting a Roku Ultra, its about half price. Just feels silly when the Roku Express is built into the TV but I guess that would work too. I do like having Kodi though. Oh well I'll figure it out.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

No worries, thanks for trying. I posted on the Plex forums, we'll see what happens. I guess worst case scenario I can just keep using this setup. It's just a bit awkward switching activities just to watch Netflix but oh well.

The alternative is returning the Shield TV and getting a Roku Ultra, its about half price. Just feels silly when the Roku Express is built into the TV but I guess that would work too. I do like having Kodi though. Oh well I'll figure it out.

I have an Ultra downstairs on my Sony, it's really nice. However that's not an Express built in to the Series 6, it's technically an Ultra. And the only Roku that currently supports DV, as you already know. So using an external Ultra with it would be silly. If I were in your shoes I'd aggressively pursue a solution on the Plex support forum and if it just boils down to something with the TV itself go to the trouble of swapping it.

If you check the forums you'll see this kind of problem is fairly rare, in that there isn't an epidemic of TCL owners with crashing apps (if there were the way people cry on the Interwebs...).

You can also try things like disabling Device Connect - On the TV go to System>Advanced Settings>Device Connect and disable it. That's related to the following:

It's also possible there's a weird mDNS discovery issue on your network (are you using wireless to connect the TV to your network? If so see if you can temporarily try a wired connection to see if it will launch/set up Plex - mDNS can act up with some routers not passing requests correctly from wired to wireless.

Since it crashes right away before you even get to the sign in screen that points towards a problem with it broadcasting a discovery packet to find local Plex servers since that is the very first thing the client does when it launches. If you can get it to connect and sign in you shouldn't have to worry about it afterwards, unless you do a fresh reinstall.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm reading more about the no colorspace switching on the Shield and combined with no Dolby Vision, I'm confused why people with 4K HDR TVs would recommend it. You would need to use another device or built in TV app for Netflix and then mess with settings between different media types. I think I'd only be using the Shield as a Plex client. I figure that's the situation most people are in too assuming they have an HDR set, so what else are people doing with this thing?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

KingKapalone posted:

I'm reading more about the no colorspace switching on the Shield and combined with no Dolby Vision, I'm confused why people with 4K HDR TVs would recommend it. You would need to use another device or built in TV app for Netflix and then mess with settings between different media types. I think I'd only be using the Shield as a Plex client. I figure that's the situation most people are in too assuming they have an HDR set, so what else are people doing with this thing?

Personally I would recommend *against* using the Shield as a Plex client, unless you mean running Kodi with the Plex addon/sync tool.

The Plex Android TV client sucks. Not all of it is Plex's fault; the switch last year to Exoplayer 2 (the playback client for Android TV on the Shield and some other devices) is behind some of it.

That's why I've been bringing the Roku up lately; in addition to handling HDR colorspace and resolution switching seamlessly the Plex client for it is the best. And you can bitstream audio to receivers that can handle advanced formats (note like most streaming boxes it doesn't decode HD audio itself).

The Shield is a great general purpose device that you can dick around with more than you can with a Roku, sideload apps, etc., though HDR woes continue.
MrMC, the paid Kodi fork, has Koyring on their team now (he created the SPMC branch of Kodi) and he's really good about wringing the most possible out of the Shield in particular so that's one option for local media. Certainly better than the Plex client on the Shield.

There's no "one true device" really. The Shield has come closest to being an all in one, but 4k/HDR, while it works, is something of a mess currently, and the recent Shield Oreo update hasn't fixed that. For "just works" general media playback, if you want to use the Plex client and have access to most other streaming apps, the new Roku's cover probably 95% of those use cases.

And as always if you are in the Apple ecosystem/iTunes Apple has made the choice simple for you since the ATV is the only thing that does it. Lots of people upset about the Plex client on it though these days, I don't use it so can't say why.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KingKapalone posted:

If you don't have HDR, the Shield is about as good as it gets. In fact, not only is it as good as it gets, it's just good.

If you do have HDR the situation is murky. But if they iron out the color space stuff I'd say it probably goes back to the top of the heap.

(all that putting aside what kind of UI prefer)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

If you don't have HDR, the Shield is about as good as it gets. In fact, not only is it as good as it gets, it's just good.

If you do have HDR the situation is murky. But if they iron out the color space stuff I'd say it probably goes back to the top of the heap.

(all that putting aside what kind of UI prefer)

I agree. Though they really need to get the colorspace switching sorted out as HDR becomes more the norm. For a couple years there they were killing it.

Kodi runs really well on it, along with the various offshoots. The new Android TV UI is...interesting. I see where they are going with it, and it could end up good, but right now it's a bit of a mess. Not that the old one was that great either. That is more on Google than any specific streaming box though. And most of the time you aren't staring at it so could be argued it's not that important overall.

I don't think DV is coming to the current Shield revision, in fact I would be surprised if it did before HDMI 2.1 is fully baked and rolled out - I know it officially released as a spec late 2017 but generally it takes a year or so to really roll out. I'd expect the next Shield revision to support it, along with other streamers, and then we have a whole new exciting period of bugs, cable bandwidth problems, and the like to look forward to again just like we did when 2.0 rolled out. Then a year or two after that things like dynamic frame rates, DV, HDR HLG, HD audio over CEC (like CEC won't continue to be a hot mess), and so on....just in time for 8k and newer stuff to roll out and gently caress everything up. Technology: there's always something better coming.

Could also be argued that as good as DV is it is not widely supported by displays, audio sink devices like AVRs, or for that matter content, and buying now in the hope of "future proofing" is a fool's errand as always, so just get what works for you today. Even the Shield isn't *that* expensive and the Roku Ultra is even cheaper. If you end up replacing it with a newer revision in a year or two, so what.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I spent a fair amount of time farting around with HDR10 and DV on both my OLED and the newer TCL screen today, I can't see enough of a difference to care. The only real snag I have with the Shield is the color space switching and some shoddy handling of refresh rates in a few Android TV apps. I actually liked the new UI once I customized it.

I still think the Shield TV is the best STB overall but none of them are perfect due to standards wars, app support, Google being weird and so on.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah if I was using Plex on the Shield I'd probably use Kodi with PlexKodiConnect. Does Kodi run on the Roku? What's a common limitation of the Roku? Would it support a browser and keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There’s always an all-in-one device that handles everything - it’s a PC though. I gave up on PCs as media devices because I’d rather have an appliance and the downsides that come with it is just the drawback that’s inherent. That is, unless Plex Media Player also has a problem in which case I start to point more at Plex rather than anything else.