Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

someone make a fake rap battle between Wallenstein and Gustavus.

alternatively, make a real rap battle between HEY GUNS and someone who's a huge partisan of Gustavus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Elyv posted:

alternatively, make a real rap battle between HEY GUNS and someone who's a huge partisan of Gustavus
Over-under on how long until it devolves into duels and lawsuits and people being thrown out windows is 20m.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

someone make a fake rap battle between Wallenstein and Gustavus.

this is the whitest thing in the history of white people

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Saw this video on Gyrojets. I haven't seen them actually fired before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJAXpyt8-oQ

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Samuel Clemens posted:

My name's Wallenstein, and I'm here to say
The Thirty Years' War sucks in a major way

Gustavus Adolphus doing a Scooter cover:"Hit me up with the poo poo that killed Tilly!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

comments, My Dad?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nenonen posted:

comments, My Dad?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire#Etymology

Blah.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Nenonen posted:

comments, My Dad?

A role model to whom we can all aspire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The final chapter for US mines is up, along with some trip-wire flares that I erroneously called mines. In any case, what are the lethal ranges of both AP mines seen today? What can reduce the lethal range down to only 10 feet? What are the differences in all the M2 variants? Do we get to see yet another Firecracker?! All that and more at the blog!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

darthbob88 posted:

Over-under on how long until it devolves into duels and lawsuits and people being thrown out windows is 20m.

MC Heinrich is such a loving poser. He brags about surviving being thrown out of a window but it was only the second floor and he totally arranged to have that hay bale there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Didn't even land in a dungpile!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

This came up in the grog thread and I was wondering it myself: Are there any newer alternatives to John Toland's "Rising Sun" that gives a good overview of the whole war from the Japanese perspective but doesn't suffer from all the outdatedness and "Hirohito Did Nothing Wrong" stuff that Rising Sun has?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This came up in the grog thread and I was wondering it myself: Are there any newer alternatives to John Toland's "Rising Sun" that gives a good overview of the whole war from the Japanese perspective but doesn't suffer from all the outdatedness and "Hirohito Did Nothing Wrong" stuff that Rising Sun has?

Eri Hottas Japan 1941 does the start well but as you may imagine ends in 1941.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1009115524721242117

The milhist-knower-in-chief is at it again

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The flintlock is a relatively simple design. Why did it take so long to be invented?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mexico was a member of the Allies too you orange wannabe fascist.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I just learned I got a credit for my blog on PBS and that feels good :unsmith:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The flintlock is a relatively simple design. Why did it take so long to be invented?
it didn't, the spanish were producing things modern historians call miquelet locks in the late 1500s

it took a long time to be adopted because of production and supply issues, and because colonels have to pay for their regiments' stuff out of pocket that encourages inertia

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What do you mean? It was a fairly clear end state simplified evolution of the wheel lock, which was incredibly mechanically complex. The snaplock was an immediate successor to the wheel lock in a couple of decades and used an indirect spark with a flint striker mechanism, and the only major difference for the flintlock was the sear to keep the gun cocked was a less expensive and more reliable.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It was a fairly clear end state simplified evolution of the wheel lock, which was incredibly mechanically complex.

they developed at around the same time actually

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The flintlock was also a culmination of a lot of technological advancement and enhancements from the miquelet onward, like improvements in metalworking and changes in the lockwork itself (like the springs and their orientation). There was constant development before a large part of the Western world finally settled on one sorta standard lock, and even then all the other variants kept trucking around the world for another century or two until paper and metallic cartridges overruled locks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

The flintlock was also a culmination of a lot of technological advancement and enhancements from the miquelet onward, like improvements in metalworking and changes in the lockwork itself (like the springs and their orientation). There was constant development before a large part of the Western world finally settled on one sorta standard lock, and even then all the other variants kept trucking around the world for another century or two until paper and metallic cartridges overruled locks.
tibetans and chinese people used matchlocks into the 20th c, because matchlocks own

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I just learned I got a credit for my blog on PBS and that feels good :unsmith:

Nice!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Post-Roman empire, when did the state begin supplying arms and equipment to soldiers?

HEY GUNS posted:

tibetans and chinese people used matchlocks into the 20th c, because matchlocks own

I'm on my phone right now but on my desktop I have a picture of an Indian soldier using a matchlock in WWII on my computer, pretend I put that here

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Fangz posted:

Saw this video on Gyrojets. I haven't seen them actually fired before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJAXpyt8-oQ

This channel is cool because the fat gently caress likes to pretend he's shooting antifa.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

This channel is cool because the fat gently caress likes to pretend he's shooting antifa.

Fortunately gyrojets are amusingly inaccurate

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

Flintlocks will never die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had no idea the Civ series was so historically accurate

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

sorry man but wheellocks and matchlocks are cooler

also that dude needs to clean his piece, if i had to do it at night in the dark so does he

edit: also if supplies are an issue it's easier to make slow match than it is to find (buy???) flint

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

Long barreled antique matchlocks were used effectively by the Miao in Guizhou to harass Qing garrisons, hampered only by the fact that the burning match would give them away at night.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GUNS posted:

it didn't, the spanish were producing things modern historians call miquelet locks in the late 1500s

it took a long time to be adopted because of production and supply issues, and because colonels have to pay for their regiments' stuff out of pocket that encourages inertia

Invest in a better musket or in a better uniform that your mistress likes...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

Long barreled antique matchlocks were used effectively by the Miao in Guizhou to harass Qing garrisons, hampered only by the fact that the burning match would give them away at night.
that, the smell, and the fact that they don't work in heavy rain are good arguments for anything other than a matchlock

did these people ever figure out the way you use that as a decoy though? Tie a rope to some tree branches, about human-height, and tie a few lengths of burning match to the rope, your enemy will think there's an army there

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

that, the smell, and the fact that they don't work in heavy rain are good arguments for anything other than a matchlock

did these people ever figure out the way you use that as a decoy though? Tie a rope to some tree branches, about human-height, and tie a few lengths of burning match to the rope, your enemy will think there's an army there

I'm sure Zhuge Liang does fake campfires half a dozen times over the course of Three Kingdoms. So someone must have tried it.

But there wouldn't be much point since the Qing troops were probably going to respond the same way they would to anything else- by keeping their heads down behind the walls and wondering how they ended up in the rear end end of nowhere getting shot at.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Invest in a better musket or in a better uniform that your mistress likes...

hats big

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"Make me a hat made from the fur of the most exotic animal from the new world and a feather *makes gap with both pointing fingers* THIS BIIIG!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm sure we all remember the last time a famous mercenary subcontractor set up a back channel of communication with a power that was the sometime ally, sometime enemy of his own side

https://www.thedailybeast.com/erik-prince-i-cooperated-with-mueller

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

sorry man but wheellocks and matchlocks are cooler

also that dude needs to clean his piece, if i had to do it at night in the dark so does he

edit: also if supplies are an issue it's easier to make slow match than it is to find (buy???) flint

wouldn't everyone have carried some flint in their tinderbox?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

wouldn't everyone have carried some flint in their tinderbox?
i mean the dude in the photo, i don't know where he's getting his. if he has a consistent supply that's great, but if he doesn't it can be easier to get a long thing of the right kind of rope and soak it in chemicals

edit: also both kinds of musket can be bad for your eyes but the one that makes me paranoid is the flintlock

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

that dude is also wearing a leather jerkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

that dude is also wearing a leather jerkin

pity that the pic is cropped. now we don't see his rapier or the warhammer head on his gun