Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The danish dictionary just got updated so for instance a son-in-law can be married to your daughter or your son :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

A married couple is not 3-5 people though

Give it another 20-30 years.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Listening to NPR in the car today, I found out that hair-metal frontman Kip Winger (of the band Winger) now composes classical music. His high-school girlfriend was taking ballet lessons, and none of her friends did, so he offered to take lessons and practice with her (:3:), and liked the music. So when hair metal went out of style, he turned to classical.
Of course they did the S&M thing, probably scored by Kip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tIfehdhslk

In a similar weird genre jump, Buster Poindexter (of "Hot! Hot! Hot!" fame) is actually David Johansen of the punk band New York Dolls -- calypso is his passion, punk paid the bills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a5Uf7Hs5c4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZba-P7R18

See also Hank Williams 3, he prefers to front a "hellbilly" band (rockabilly-influenced metal), but sings like his grandpa to pay his child support. Apparently his live shows are half country, intermission in which they do a bunch of drugs, and then swap out the acoustic instruments for electric, and then metal insanity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkLfYR1Gco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehJsUKfXcWo

Edit: Hank3 also made the first country album to carry a Parental Advisory Warning label. He sounds just like Hank1, but cusses a lot more.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Jun 18, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

purple death ray posted:

Well the truth is that neither party is right. Clinging to dictionary definitions of words is essentially admitting that you've lost the argument. Language is defined by the people speaking it and there's tons of things in common usage that aren't "right" according to the dictionary.

If neither party is completely right then the millions and millions of people using the word as it's defined in the dictionary are still way way more right than the handful of people using it differently.

purple death ray posted:

All I know is I mostly encounter the "words mean things!!" crowd when someone is trying to deny some group of people rights, such as clinging to a dictionary that defines marriage as between a man and a woman, or being extremely literal about racial distinctions so they can deny being huge racists (Islam isn't a race! You're the real bigot!).

On the flipside there's also a growing trend for conservative politicians and media pundits using 'weasel words' like "illegal" or "urban" or "un-American values" as dog whistles instead of using the words as they've traditionally been used in the past.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

The dictionary definition of moot is the opposite of moot.

Many dictionaries now literally say literally doesn't mean literally.

Because dictionaries are typically descriptionist and “literally” is often used hyperbolically in an non-literal way.

I’ve never actually found it difficult to suss out which definition is in play in actual conversation, sadly the dictionary only defines context as: “the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.”

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm pretty sure dictionaries already define words that are frequently used in sarcastic or ironic contexts so I don't know why "literally" has become such a symbolic battlefield.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

The dictionary definition of moot is the opposite of moot.

:eyepoop:

I've never encountered this usage

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Barudak posted:

The people who believes it only means two are agressive. Its happened to me a couple of times where

How many times?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lincoln posted:

How many times?

Not sure how I could be more clear, exactly one metric couple

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Holding down the refresh button by the url on an iPhone allows you to request the desktop version of any site.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dirksteadfast posted:

Holding down the refresh button by the url on an iPhone allows you to request the desktop version of any site.

:aaa:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you're using Chrome on mobile in general you can tap the menu button in the top right and click "request desktop site" because the Chrome devs didn't feel like hiding that button

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mexico City is Tenochtitlan.

e: Also Mesoamerica literally just means Middle America :doh:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Jun 24, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check the voynich herbal imo

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I didn't know that a video game controller can be used in place of a mouse to move the cursor and interact with visual elements on a computer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Low-key embarassing: I just realized how legitimately good a phone's voice-to-text feature can be. I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico time re-alphabetizing everything by just vocally listing off my collection into a notepad app on my phone, with only one failure.

Higher-hey embarrassing: I just realized that the KFC logo on the right that stares me in the face when I hate myself to get some drive-through KFC chicken is actually the Colonel and his bow tie underneath, and not just a cartoon stick figure depiction of hands and legs. I knew it was weird because I knew they never used a huge-headed-high-detailed head tiny-simple-bodied body in any marketing, but it took me until to today to go "oh yeah, dude wore a bow tie and thats a bow-tie, you dingus."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Higher-hey embarrassing: I just realized that the KFC logo on the right that stares me in the face when I hate myself to get some drive-through KFC chicken is actually the Colonel and his bow tie underneath, and not just a cartoon stick figure depiction of hands and legs. I knew it was weird because I knew they never used a huge-headed-high-detailed head tiny-simple-bodied body in any marketing, but it took me until to today to go "oh yeah, dude wore a bow tie and thats a bow-tie, you dingus."

God drat it. Now I can’t see anything OTHER than bobble-head Sanders doing a jig with a stick-person body.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

No, no, it's fine. You just say that demanding "a couple" be used to refer only to two things isn't "prescriptivist" because the word "prescriptivist" means "comprised of raw camel flesh".
After all, language is defined by the people speaking it! :pseudo:

(More seriously, I get what you're saying but at the same time I feel like sometimes the argument against prescriptivism is an excuse people use to offload the mental work of communication onto the other participant. "I don't have to pay attention to what words are usually understood to mean, you just have to psychically divine what I intend them to mean!")

I abuse language rules all the time in conversation, and it's often because I'm too tired to think of the exact word, but the word I come out with has unambiguous meaning and clearly communicates my intent. It's also more fun than using the proper terms for things. I think that's the way to go - if your meaning is understood well enough then go for it. I think I described the taste of some food as "stinky" the other day. Taste isn't smell, but it got my point across.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hyperlynx posted:

I abuse language rules all the time in conversation, and it's often because I'm too tired to think of the exact word, but the word I come out with has unambiguous meaning and clearly communicates my intent. It's also more fun than using the proper terms for things. I think that's the way to go - if your meaning is understood well enough then go for it. I think I described the taste of some food as "stinky" the other day. Taste isn't smell, but it got my point across.

Are you a four year old?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tanzania does not rhyme with Tasmania.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anime rhymes with a mime.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anime rhymes with a mime.

You can't just say "a mime" and not tell us which mime

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Mimes don't make a sound

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The word 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'. I always thought they were two different things.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

The Bloop posted:

:eyepoop:

I've never encountered this usage

The only time most people have was if they read LOTR when it talked about Ent moots.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

cyberia posted:

The word 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'. I always thought they were two different things.

poo poo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

cyberia posted:

Similarly, coxswain is pronounced “cocks’n”. It’s meaningless to me because I’ve not heard the word once outside of the 1996 Summer Olympics, but there you have it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Are you a four year old?

"I'm so articulate I use words like 'stinky' :smug:"
Yes, fair enough. Not the best example.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackguard is "Blagard"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
iZombie has a minor recurring character named Floyd Baracus. He's the district attorney, and the boss of one of the major recurring characters. It took me until midway through the second season to realize the joke in his name: he's D.A. Baracus.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Besesoth posted:

iZombie has a minor recurring character named Floyd Baracus. He's the district attorney, and the boss of one of the major recurring characters. It took me until midway through the second season to realize the joke in his name: he's D.A. Baracus.

Almost everything in iZombie has a pun in its name. Typical Rob Thomas shenanigans :)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My wife's been watching that show and I had to explain that joke to her. She didn't care.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

cyberia posted:

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Similarly, coxswain is pronounced “cocks’n”. It’s meaningless to me because I’ve not heard the word once outside of the 1996 Summer Olympics, but there you have it.

Do they live together in the forecastle?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

My wife's been watching that show and I had to explain that joke to her. She didn't care.

I always liked Meat Cute and Romero's.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pookah posted:

They're both ratings rather than officers, so: yes, I think so. At least, on a ye olde sailing ship.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iajanus posted:

I always liked Meat Cute and Romero's.

Clever

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Filmore Graves was a good antagonist organisation.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pookah posted:

Slurping up Worcestershire sauce, sure thing

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo guys it’s HARE-oh-in, not heh-ROYN
gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,