Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My copy of Bad Witch has apparently shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Adam Vegas posted:

I’m going to the Meltdown show in London and would be absolutely stoked to get that set, particularly The Beginning Is The End and Afraid of Americans. I’m even more excited now.

My only quibble would be the lack of Closer but I know Trent is probably incredibly fuckin’ bored of singing that song; I just still love it and it never gets old to me, particularly the way a new element is added/changed up every 8 bars.

No shame, brother. Closer is monstrously good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean the thing is most of his regulars are absolutely monstrous live. Like people complain about Gave Up, Wish and HLAH but holy poo poo does he tear the house down with those songs. I mean, I've seen him eight times and there are a bunch of songs I never need to hear again (Burn would probably the one I'm most sick of) but I really can't begrudge that he plays them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

people complaining about "$50+" ticket prices in this thread are hilarious. the two Brooklyn shows added just went on sale. Standing room pit is $245, front ten center rows and front five side rows are $195, front half orchestra seating is $145, back orchestra is $95, balcony is $70 or $50 for some incredibly awful obstructed seats. that's all before Ticketmaster fees of course.

I would like to see Nine Inch Nails some day, I think, but man, not that much. NYC is so hosed, pricing-wise, jesus christ. I can't believe it's gotten this bad over the last five years

also those prices are for the Tuesday show, the Wednesday show at the same venue is $5 more for every ticket :psyduck:

I don't really know who was complaining about "$50+" tickets, tbh. For the venue in Detroit, it was $92 after fees for the worst seats in the house, which got me on the floor in the same venue to see APC. I know NYC ticket prices are hosed, but AFAIK cheaper seats (especially in larger venues) aren't too far off, considering average income in NYC is 2x+ that of Detroit. It was still $125-150 + fees for first 5-10 rows on the floor here, and $95 + fees for back half of the floor, so it seems like it's the best seats that are off-the-charts bonkers for y'all, which tbh trends with what I've heard about the market in NYC and LA.

e: Trent/NIN, considering the size of the venue here in Detroit, are charging 1.5-2x what Beck, David Byrne, and Christina Aguilera are charging for upcoming tours. It's an absolute joke, and at least here, there are still floor seats available at face value while the secondary market is _already_ selling seats for $40 cheaper than what I would've paid Ticketmaster.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 16, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vince MechMahon posted:

:aaa: drat. I keep forgetting how good NIN has been about pre-orders lately. My usual policy is to wait until streaming and figure out what format I want to buy later, but an early release might force my hand...

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

If you think $50 is a lot for a show you haven't been to any in a while. When I saw Ministry/RevCo in a friggin' club it was $60 a person and that was 12 years ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Molestationary Store posted:

If you think $50 is a lot for a show you haven't been to any in a while. When I saw Ministry/RevCo in a friggin' club it was $60 a person and that was 12 years ago.
$50 isn't a lot for a show. $100 is.

I know some bands are more successful than others and poo poo, but there are some festivals that you can get a ticket to for $100 a day (at least through presale), so paying $100 for one band seems insane when you could potentially pay the same amount to see multiple bands.

I know Jesus & Mary Chain's on the bill too, but they aren't worth paying $100 to see, nor do I think they'd have the clout to charge that much on their own.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Show last night was nearly identical to the show they did in vegas back in 2017. Nothing from the new EP was played.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Opened with somewhat damaged now playing the day the whole world went away

I think theyre playing the fragile

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Opened with somewhat damaged now playing the day the whole world went away

I think theyre playing the fragile
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
They didn’t do HLAH.

I am shocked.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Somewhat Damaged
The Day The whole world went away
The frail
The wretched
Tease of we're in this together now into Terrible lie
March of the Pigs
Something i can never have
Me, I'm not
Ahead of ourselves
God break down the door
The lovers
Parasite
The great destroyer
The good soldier
Im afraid of americans
The big come down
Digital
Less than
Wish
They brought out gary numan he sang metal and reptile
Hurt

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Somewhat Damaged
The frail
The wretched
March of the Pigs
Something i can never have
Me, I'm not
Ahead of ourselves
God break down the door
The lovers
Parasite
The great destroyer
The good soldier
Im afraid of americans
The big come down
Digital
Less than
Wish
They brought out gary numan he sang metal and reptile
Hurt

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

God, these setlists are impressive. They better livestream one of these things :negative:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this was the best nine inch nails show ive been to since the la show where they played spiral

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh and queen kwong really impressed me so i gotta listen to their stuff. Really good stage presence, way better tonight than yesterday

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I guess it is out in the wild now as people started getting their vinyls. Anybody get theirs? I'm interested in hearing impressions of it.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
It's really good, though it's surprising how little Trent sings on it, given that apart from the Disintegration Loops fuckery on The Background World he's leaned on that pretty heavily. There are two purely instrumental tracks, and one that comes pretty close, all of which do a great job at distancing themselves from his film scores and are the highlights of the album. Ahead of Ourselves is also really good, and sounds like a fusion between Year Zero and his industrial material. poo poo Mirror is my least favorite track from his recent output, which has him falling back on too many of his clichés. It's probably the weakest of the three EPs for me, but only because I really enjoyed the other two.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Ahead Of Myself is loving awesome what the hell

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

That is just cruel as hell. We're In This Together started my Nine Inch Nails love and hearing it live would be craaazy.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This is the best post-90's NIN album

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Somewhat Damaged
The frail
The wretched

Ahahahaha I think my heart would have given out from the snap from elation to disappointment.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as much as Terrible Lie rules live, to have WITTN interrupted by a song I think I've literally seen him play every time I've seen him would be brutal.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

All three EPs come to a running total of 78 minutes so I wonder if there'll ever be a single CD release one day. Probably not, but it'll fit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My most important question for this album:

How is poo poo Mirror? Is it as cringey as the name implies?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It sounds like an outtake from The Slip

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I actually like this one more than the other two EPs. It sounds like an alternate timeline version of Trent taking a left instead of a right immediately after working on the Lost Highway soundtrack instead of pushing out the Perfect Drug.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

polyester concept posted:

All three EPs come to a running total of 78 minutes so I wonder if there'll ever be a single CD release one day. Probably not, but it'll fit.

Not the Actual Witch Violence.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Apparently a really crappy cellphone rip of “We Got Ahead of Ourselves” is floating around. It’s really low quality, but sounds like more late ‘90s drum & bass-inspired stuff, albeit with more traditional song structure and vocals.

Jury’s still out, but I’m a little underwhelmed by both the songs I’ve heard from this album so far - I feel like the previous two releases had songs where Trent and Atticus were revisiting old sounds but still writing music that felt new, where as these two tracks feel dated.

Obviously I didn’t hear the second song in any sort of reasonable quality or context, so I’m hoping my worries are all for naught come June 22.

So I guess I did get ahead of myself. Song rules. :v:

The whole thing feels like The Slip and Broken had a baby who is super into David Bowie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

polyester concept posted:

It sounds like an outtake from The Slip
Slip Mirror

After one listen, God Break Down the Door is the best song on the whole thing, though I love the jazziness carrying over into Play The Goddamned Part. Kinda reminds me of the end of Radiohead's Optimistic.

I'm Not From This World sounds like some Ghosts/Trent & Atticus film score poo poo, and it's cool, but not really what I'm looking for out of a main NIN release.

Over & Out kinda reminds me of Meet Your Master except more drawn out, I guess.

Overall, I more or less agree with this:

Arkhams Razor posted:

It's probably the weakest of the three EPs for me, but only because I really enjoyed the other two.

Definitely not this, though:

HorseRenoir posted:

This is the best post-90's NIN album

Like holy poo poo, have you ever listened to Year Zero?!

Did they really play Ahead of Ourselves last night? I wonder how. The drums on that were insane.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 18, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I just started listening to it. The production is very out there so far, and I mean that in the best way.

The saxaphones on Play the Goddamned Part are so cool.

EDIT: This is just getting better and better. Best EP at first listen of the 3, and I love the other two. This one just sort of flows better than the other two. The other two were slightly disjointed.

That sax part on Over and Out sounds like an echo fighting with itself until one wins.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 19, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah as much as Terrible Lie rules live, to have WITTN interrupted by a song I think I've literally seen him play every time I've seen him would be brutal.

the transition was real sneaky, it had the wretched outro into a distorted version of the first couple riffs and drumbeat to Together and it slowly distorted into the intro of terrible lie. When they got to The frail everyone around me was convinced we were getting the fragile in its entirity

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Half of it doesn't sound much like NIN at all, in a super good way, and I wonder if Trent feels obligated to keep going to the same wells every few songs or if he really just digs it.

I mean I'm not one to talk, J. Spaceman definitely has a formula and literally only ever sings about love, heroin, and Jesus, so... :v:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had to go back and find this post again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ahahahahahaha, these track titles are garbage. I can't wait to unironically ask a friend "Yo did you hear that new Nine Inch Nails song poo poo Mirror?!"
because poo poo Mirror loving ruuuuuuuuules.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is as weird as "God Break Down The Door" advertised. It's gonna take a while to really digest it. But my overall impression is positive. It actually does feel more "album-like" than the other 2. Although I think the total time of the vocals is probably the least out of all of them. In that sense -- and only that sense, really -- it's a little like The Fragile. That "I have no words for this" vibe.

It's funny that "poo poo Mirror" is the closest thing to a rock-n-roll hit single on this album because it's already pretty drat abrasive. From that point it only goes further down the... well y'know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Big Word posted:

I had to go back and find this post again

because poo poo Mirror loving ruuuuuuuuules.
I listened to poo poo Mirror a few times yesterday and I really am not convinced of this.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My poo poo hasn't even shipped yet. Where can I hear the new EP?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

obeyasia posted:

Search your feelings. Well, search something.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

obeyasia posted:

I found it on yt this morning after some searching. I like everything nin does but this record is just an instant love for me. It's impressive how much sonic ground is covered in it's half hour runtime, and it's more up my alley than hesitation marks/the other EPs. Like they weren't bad but this album just grabs me from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Search your feelings. Well, search something.

I did it. My brain sucks lately.