Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Frog Act posted:

I think that cartoon is specifically anti alternating current, not electricity broadly, iirc

How, when it clearly depicts one of those terrifying spaghetti-like multi-voltage direct current setups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Here's how bad wiring can get in places with no regulation, in this case India:

Back in the good ol' days of early American electrical services, appliances on branch circuits and the houses themselves were not typically grounded, so short circuits and ground faults would roast people and property quite easily.

Fun fact: before GFCIs on bathroom branch circuits (which break ground fault currents almost instantly), tossing appliances into bathtubs to kill spouses and the like was one of the easiest ways to get away with murder, so after the GFCIs were introduced people would try that and it wouldn't kill their intended victim, who called the cops and got their asses thrown in prison for attempted murder.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Here's how bad wiring can get in places with no regulation, in this case India:

Back in the good ol' days of early American electrical services, appliances on branch circuits and the houses themselves were not typically grounded, so short circuits and ground faults would roast people and property quite easily.

Fun fact: before GFCIs on bathroom branch circuits (which break ground fault currents almost instantly), tossing appliances into bathtubs to kill spouses and the like was one of the easiest ways to get away with murder, so after the GFCIs were introduced people would try that and it wouldn't kill their intended victim, who called the cops and got their asses thrown in prison for attempted murder.

given that a massive chunk of houses have been grandfathered in and dont have GFCI's everywhere, i doubt this happened very often if at all

plus the initial jolt would have left them stunned enough for the person doing the deed to just finish the job (like stick them under water for like 30 seconds)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

One of you had better be an electrician

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

*furiously scribbling notes* hey btw is there any reason why youd be justified in removing a bathroom gfci, asking for a friend

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer

Second Hillary victim in a month fellas....

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

xxxtencion found dead in miami. he was 69

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Infernot posted:

Hope he and Peter Daou make a mixtape

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Infernot posted:

Xxxtentacion slowly approaches an EDM beat.
AVICII: Welcome to the party, man! The "Unknown Part-y!"
PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN (chuckling): What my Scandinavian friend means is: this is Heaven.
ANTHONY BOURDAIN: And it's just full of loud!
VERNE TROYER (from inside KATE SPADE's pussy): hey

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Infernot posted:

https://twitter.com/xxxtentacion/status/872706786381320192

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Business Gorillas posted:

This is clearly propaganda being pushed by Big Lantern

https://library.osu.edu/dc/concern/generic_works/g73303697

quote:

Anti-electricity cartoon. Electricity is portrayed as a spider with a cobweb of electrical wires for trapping its human victims.
On October 11, 1889 John Feeks, a Western Union lineman, was high up in the tangle of overhead electrical wires working on what were supposed to be low-voltage telegraph lines in a busy Manhattan district. As the lunchtime crowd below looked on he grabbed a nearby line that, unknown to him, had been shorted many blocks away with a high-voltage AC line. The jolt entered through his bare right hand and exited his left steel studded climbing boot. Feeks was killed almost instantly, his body falling into the tangle of wire, sparking, burning, and smoldering for the better part of an hour while a horrified crowd of thousands gathered below.

:gonk:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

im glad hes dead

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gently caress yeah also whatup animal rights gang :snoop:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Saucer Hovers posted:

One of you had better be an electrician

I just finished electrician school in April

Former DILF posted:

*furiously scribbling notes* hey btw is there any reason why youd be justified in removing a bathroom gfci, asking for a friend

You can do that if your breaker is gfci protected, also if you have multiple receptacles only the first one needs to be gfci. The biggest advantage to gfci plugs is that people can reset them at the plug rather than the panel.

edit: I'm paraphrasing the rules from the 2017 NEC and they've been that way since at least the 2014 edition

edit 2: here's a pick for everyone pissed off at electricity talk:

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Jun 19, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

https://twitter.com/Basicc414/status/872707460699639810

lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/max_read/status/1008787801339461633

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

don’t worry Florida will be wiped out by the omegacane coming this fall thanks to global warming and viewers like you! thank you.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lol Florida getting canewiped would wipe out most of the people there voting against t trump

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
loving boomers

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

loving boomers

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Furthermore, I believe boomers must be destroyed.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
My only hope at this point is that the Boomers live long enough to see their entire generation condemned and maligned by history

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MizPiz posted:

My only hope at this point is that the Boomers live long enough to see their entire generation condemned and maligned by history

either that or they all die alone in old folks homes

actually both sounds great

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

generational warfare may be bullshit but it sure is satisfying

also grind up the boomers to feed the young

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

either that or they all die alone in old folks homes

actually both sounds great

most of them aint goin to homes. boomers are starting to figure out that millennials can't afford to have kids or own property, let alone afford a $500,000 6-bedroom mcmansion hell 45 minutes away from their jobs

turns out that putting all of your assets into home ownership is a bad idea when nobody can buy your home *slide whistle*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

most of them aint goin to homes. boomers are starting to figure out that millennials can't afford to have kids or own property, let alone afford a $500,000 6-bedroom mcmansion hell 45 minutes away from their jobs

turns out that putting all of your assets into home ownership is a bad idea when nobody can buy your home *slide whistle*
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1006257261897973761

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

its kinda fitting, actually

they wanted their houses large so they sold away their futures by ditching their pensions for 401k's
they wanted their houses away from black people so they built them miles away from any public transit
they wanted their houses furnished with an endless stream of garbage, so they gutted worker protections and wages in an endless game to keep up with the jonses

now their houses are worthless because of everything that it took to make them the way they are, and now those houses are gonna be their tombs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

its kinda fitting, actually

they wanted their houses large so they sold away their futures by ditching their pensions for 401k's
they wanted their houses away from black people so they built them miles away from any public transit
they wanted their houses furnished with an endless stream of garbage, so they gutted worker protections and wages in an endless game to keep up with the jonses

now their houses are worthless because of everything that it took to make them the way they are, and now those houses are gonna be their tombs

They can just take out a reverse mortgage to burn away the family's inheritance, so the banks can turn them into rental properties after they die.

So long as housing prices don't go down, there's plenty of ways to financialize that equity.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-38-the-medias-bogus-generation-obsession

Intergenerational warfare is dumb and lame.
Class warfare is what's cool and good.
You have far more in common with people of your class across generations than you do with people of your generation across classes.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

yo what happens when intergenerational warfare is class warfare smart guy

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

pfizerman posted:

yo what happens when intergenerational warfare is class warfare smart guy

Well lets agree that we should kill and eat Bill Mitchell regardless.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I do not consent to grok that man's essence.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

please don’t post about Koalas March like that

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

please don’t post about Koalas March like that

especially because you know they're coming to this thread now

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it was just too easy of a joke to make :laugh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yestermoment posted:

Xxxtentacion slowly approaches an EDM beat.
AVICII: Welcome to the party, man! The "Unknown Part-y!"
PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN (chuckling): What my Scandinavian friend means is: this is Heaven.
ANTHONY BOURDAIN: And it's just full of loud!
VERNE TROYER (from inside KATE SPADE's pussy): hey

lol