Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chomp didn't land a single hit and spent most of the match on its rear end. There's not a single category in which it beat out Wiyachi other than extreme slowness

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey now, it's only a dumb strategy if it fails. They won the fight therefore rope-a-dope was a great plan. :v:

It did fail tho, the extra armor didn't do a drat thing. One more hit and Subzero's guts would have been shredded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It did fail tho, the extra armor didn't do a drat thing. One more hit and Subzero's guts would have been shredded

It's irrelevant whether another hit would have finished off Sub Zero if Captain Shrederator was immobilized and wasn't capable of hitting it again. Shrederator's main weakness is shaking itself apart whenever it hits another bot so adding sacrificial armor that it can batter itself against is a viable plan, albeit a pretty risky one. The fight wasn't all that entertaining but they took a long shot and they got the win. :shrug: If Shrederator hadn't taken itself out of the fight and it had gone to a judge's decision there's no way they would have won so it was a crazy gamble either way.

I can't see that strategy working on other bots, though. Smaller horizontal spinners will just batter against them all day long and then win on points and bigger bots like Tombstone would just smash them to pieces in seconds.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chomp didn't land a single hit and spent most of the match on its rear end. There's not a single category in which it beat out Wiyachi other than extreme slowness

Battlebots judging criteria are a bit different than you might expect. They look for damage, control, and aggression but the aggression category only counts for aggression with the primary weapon. Warrior shoved chomp around a lot but only used its flipper a few times. chomp was constantly swinging that hammer. Chomp was also fully functional at the end of the fight whereas warrior was smoking with a broken weapon. So I'm guessing Naomi assumed one of Chomps hammer hits broke the flipper (remember they don't have fancy camera closeups and multiple angles of the fight, they're just sitting box side) and gave it the damage and aggression points, with warrior winning in control.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Great Beer posted:

Battlebots judging criteria are a bit different than you might expect. They look for damage, control, and aggression but the aggression category only counts for aggression with the primary weapon. Warrior shoved chomp around a lot but only used its flipper a few times. chomp was constantly swinging that hammer. Chomp was also fully functional at the end of the fight whereas warrior was smoking with a broken weapon. So I'm guessing Naomi assumed one of Chomps hammer hits broke the flipper (remember they don't have fancy camera closeups and multiple angles of the fight, they're just sitting box side) and gave it the damage and aggression points, with warrior winning in control.

This guy battlebots.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp did get one hit in, and it disabled the disc, which ends the flipper.

I mean, like if you rules argue with the ref during the match that you're technically not holding if let go for one second. It is a bad look. Also for such an unstable looking design Chomp looks like it didn't really take any damage from Warrior at all.

Having to power up your disc to power your flipper seems like bad hybridization, wyachi clan's designs are made for an older ruleset. I want to see Minotaur fight destroy it.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 17, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
chomp is a silly design anyway, yeah the weapon can do some serious poo poo if it gets a direct hit but it flips over too easily. all it does is try to nab a ~killshot~ early in and then survive the pummeling as it spends 60% of the match on its side

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

logikv9 posted:

chomp is a silly design anyway, yeah the weapon can do some serious poo poo if it gets a direct hit but it flips over too easily. all it does is try to nab a ~killshot~ early in and then survive the pummeling as it spends 60% of the match on its side

why the gently caress is that stupid thing so tall anyway. they should just design it so the axe works while it's sideways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chomp is bad. I don't buy any of the automation poo poo, it rarely hits and is constantly out-driven and the bot spends all its time flipped over because its center of gravity is way too high. I'll give it points for toughness, I don't remember it ever actually being knocked out or even having a single system disabled.

If they actually had an automated deathbot that'd be cool though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Chomp is bad. I don't buy any of the automation poo poo, it rarely hits and is constantly out-driven and the bot spends all its time flipped over because its center of gravity is way too high. I'll give it points for toughness, I don't remember it ever actually being knocked out or even having a single system disabled.

If they actually had an automated deathbot that'd be cool though.

It's poo poo because it's automated. Idk how the internal computing is run, but they're probably conjoined in some way that slows the whole thing down. Assuming it's the servo for the weapon, the Center of Gravity problem could presumably be resolved by adjusting the arms without reducing the arc on the foreswing. Beta is an example of this.

But no. It's definitely automated because humans don't generally drive bots that slowly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there such a thing as entirely automated robot fighting? One of my friends objects to Battlebots as not robot fighting but radio controlled car fighting.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there such a thing as entirely automated robot fighting? One of my friends objects to Battlebots as not robot fighting but radio controlled car fighting.

japan has you there

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
its kinda funny how many bots can't self-right when that is such a glaring weakness. you gotta go all in on your weapon or don't go that far. Has Icewave ever gotten the flip?

I just kinda like Chomp because the strikers and flamethrowers never seem to work as well as they could. it looks really loving hard to line up good hits. Which is why she tried to automate it. Seems to need more work.

Complete Control was the last rear end in a top hat that tried a pincer bot+flame combo right?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Grognan posted:

its kinda funny how many bots can't self-right when that is such a glaring weakness. you gotta go all in on your weapon or don't go that far. Has Icewave ever gotten the flip?

Ghost Raptor tipped it over once. And it's exploded before.

https://youtu.be/yOQo-oR0V8g

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

logikv9 posted:

japan has you there

I love how fast and violent those are for small bots and it's amazing that they're programmed to locate and push targets. I enjoy battlebots for big and showy brutal weapon fights despite being radio controlled.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They should retire Chomp by pitting it against all the big hitter bots at once and let them have at it until there is nothing left bigger than a softball.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's too bad that the girlbots suck, but this never called for a gangbang.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe she could use here automation and engineering skills to make a bot that is actually good? Like a Bronco or Tombstone? Instead of a top heavy bot with a lovely spike hammer that might be effective at denting the other bot if the bot didn't spend the match on it's side?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bronco that could automatically sense when the flipper is under the other bot and fire it would be an absolute beast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Well, if Battlebots just accepted the most powerful bots, the competition would be made up of 32 minor variations on Tombstone. For the sake of entertainment, they pick bots with a wide variety of weapons, designs, and other gimmicks. If you want to get in to Battlebots, you're probably better off making burgerbot 2.0 than making the best possible bot (Tombstone)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just a reminder that in my extremely scientific fantasy battlebots system from 2016, Chomp was the 6th best bot in the competition so it's not all bad.

IIRC they had initially had some electromagnet situation designed to keep it from topping over every two seconds, but none of the bots that used electromagnets last season were able to get them to work properly. As for why it's still like that, IDK. Still haven't actually seen a Chomp match from this season because of the weird distribution of episodes available online so I'll probably have more informed commentary then.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pakled posted:

Well, if Battlebots just accepted the most powerful bots, the competition would be made up of 32 minor variations on Tombstone. For the sake of entertainment, they pick bots with a wide variety of weapons, designs, and other gimmicks. If you want to get in to Battlebots, you're probably better off making burgerbot 2.0 than making the best possible bot (Tombstone)

I wonder if Tombstone's design will be dethroned. Having watched this poo poo since the beginning I remember all the different phases of full body spinners, flippers, vertical spinners, hammerbots. Really heavy object spinning horizontally or vertically is the current killer design, I'm not sure what would be better but it's changed enough times that maybe.

Tombstone's only obvious flaw is the wheels, but it turns so fast it seems to be real hard to get in there and gently caress them up before it hits you.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Tombstone's only obvious flaw is the wheels, but it turns so fast it seems to be real hard to get in there and gently caress them up before it hits you.

Still pouring one out for my boy Yeti, who was one centimetre away from shredding Tombstone's wheels before backing off

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder if Tombstone's design will be dethroned. Having watched this poo poo since the beginning I remember all the different phases of full body spinners, flippers, vertical spinners, hammerbots. Really heavy object spinning horizontally or vertically is the current killer design, I'm not sure what would be better but it's changed enough times that maybe.

It seems to me that all spinners have a max amount of hits they can give, before they do enough damage to themselves, either their weapons or their drive train.

If Witch Doctor could have taken one more hit (or been able to right itself) it would have beat Tombstone. If bot builders can figure out how to make bots sturdier, or just min max specifically to optimize again horizontal bars, the entire meta changes

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tombstone has a major weakness the vertical disks don't have and that's stability. Every good hit sends it flying so a decent wedge will beat it every time. Its success is largely due to the fact that battlebots frowns upon wedgebots and they don't get selected. The 220 pound version typically gets wrecked in live events where wedges are more common.

Here it is getting bullied hard by a cluster bot, for example:

https://youtu.be/eyYgW_jQsAk

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, really the counter for Tombstone is a bot that can take the hits over and over and keep going long enough for Tombstone to break itself. Minotaur had a good chance at that in their first fight, but Tombstone hosed up the battlebox just enough to get Minotaur stuck on the busted up floor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
You can even see it in King of Bots with some of the Chinese Tombstone-likes where it's clear that the pilot just copied the design without much driving practice and just veers into a wall and self destructs. Spinners are monsters in terms of potential damage, but because of the speed and mass of the weapon, the physics jumps in and hammers the amount of control you have on your bot so you have to compensate somewhere or adjust the positioning of the weapon.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Great Beer posted:

Tombstone has a major weakness the vertical disks don't have and that's stability. Every good hit sends it flying so a decent wedge will beat it every time. Its success is largely due to the fact that battlebots frowns upon wedgebots and they don't get selected. The 220 pound version typically gets wrecked in live events where wedges are more common.

Here it is getting bullied hard by a cluster bot, for example:

https://youtu.be/eyYgW_jQsAk

There are at least a couple of bots on Battlebots that do have a good chance of beating Tombstone like Free Shipping or Duck since both bots are basically bricks with wheels. And Stinger had it shown up this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Huge seems like it has good odds against a lot of bots since Flippers do nothing to them and a lot of spinners just seem to pass through their wheels as though they were just a suggestion.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I feel like those wheels won't last too long after a few direct hits from a horizontal spinner

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

logikv9 posted:

I feel like those wheels won't last too long after a few direct hits from a horizontal spinner

And whoever is scheduling the fights clearly gets this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

logikv9 posted:

I honestly have no idea. The material they're made of looks extremely ductile so any time something hits it, it bends out of the way and then goes back to its original shape. Maybe the object just needs to be faster to push/pull it into something more damaging. Ostensibly, if a weapon catches between the spokes, it could actually do some major damage, but the only bot it's faced so far that had that capability was Free Shipping. The other thing is that fire is probably effective against those wheels in terms of softening them enough to drop the main body.

I think the worst thing for it to face is another vertical bar spinner like Monsoon which would be able to do real damage to the main body or any of the saw bots which could actually eat at the wheels in a more certain manner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Too bad nightmare isn't around this season. It might have won a fight since it's pretty much a hard counter to huge.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bless Huge

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Great Beer posted:

Too bad nightmare isn't around this season. It might have won a fight since it's pretty much a hard counter to huge.
Nightmare should rip off Huge's design for next season.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Xelkelvos posted:

The material they're made of looks extremely ductile so any time something hits it, it bends out of the way and then goes back to its original shape.

It's made out of UHMW. Cutting boards are the most common household use of it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Even if a horizontal spinner couldn't destroy the tires, the force impacted on them, would likely be enough to make Huge fly to the side. At least with a bot powerful like Tombstone.

I don't think the little robot wars match would really cut it as a way to see how it would handle it. Robot Wars is so much more tame compared to Battlebots.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Old robot wars maybe but the modern series bots are just as dangerous as American machines. Carbide and Apex were both easily on par with Tombstone or End Game. Monsoon also competed as Tauron on robot wars (not that it ever worked right) and we've seen what it can do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite robot wars bot was the one inexplicably made of wood.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite robot wars bot was the one inexplicably made of wood.

I remember a wooden robot turning up on Robotica once. The farmer guy was so smug about how it would clean up because it could survive sledgehammer hits.

Its first actual fight after the obstacle courses was against a bot packing a vertical spinner that resembled a titanium shuriken. Only wood chips remained of it by the end, which is an accomplishment since bots usually got pushed off the platform before taking much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Old robot wars maybe but the modern series bots are just as dangerous as American machines. Carbide and Apex were both easily on par with Tombstone or End Game. Monsoon also competed as Tauron on robot wars (not that it ever worked right) and we've seen what it can do.

Sure maybe there is some exceptions, but at the end of the day Robot Wars, even the new series is very tame compared to Battlebots.

• Locked thread