Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

hooah posted:

What's a typical range for toddlers to stop taking a nap? Our daughter's 2.5 and she hasn't napped since Friday. It's definitely starting to show at bedtime, but otherwise she seems to be behaving normally.

Every kid is different. Our first stopped napping at 1.5, our second kept napping till she was nearer 3 (she still falls asleep during the day if we’re in the car).

When you say show at bedtime do you mean she’s more tired or more grumpy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can only empathize from having had it done at an adult age. Infact the very week my kids were born I got them taken out only a few floors down from were they where in intensive care. Laid me out two weeks, hurt as all hell despite painkillers and my breath apparently stank so bad my parents recoiled away when entering the apartment I was living in at the time. Part of the reason I got them removed was bad breath due to constantly recurring tonsil stones. I've felt much better afterwards.

I hope and think it's a lot easier for kids.

Yeah the bad breath is something else man, holy poo poo its nasty

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Oodles posted:

Every kid is different. Our first stopped napping at 1.5, our second kept napping till she was nearer 3 (she still falls asleep during the day if we’re in the car).

When you say show at bedtime do you mean she’s more tired or more grumpy?

Grumpy, which we figure is due to tiredness.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I know it's been discussed before, but I can't find it now. We are taking our two year old on a flight in a few weeks. We've got all the essential distractions, toys, books, and food planned out. However, we want to have a few apps on the tablet in case of emergency meltdown purposes. Any good recommendations? He's very good with letters, numbers, colors, and shapes from flashcards. Loves dinosaurs, animals, trucks, etc. This also will be his first time using a tablet.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Douche4Sale posted:

I know it's been discussed before, but I can't find it now. We are taking our two year old on a flight in a few weeks. We've got all the essential distractions, toys, books, and food planned out. However, we want to have a few apps on the tablet in case of emergency meltdown purposes. Any good recommendations? He's very good with letters, numbers, colors, and shapes from flashcards. Loves dinosaurs, animals, trucks, etc. This also will be his first time using a tablet.

Endless Alphabet and Endless Numbers still keep my 4 year old entertained.

Oh drat, there's an Endless Spanish one now too! He's been in a Spanish immersion preschool since he was a baby, I bet he'll like this.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I like the Duplo apps, but both of my sons struggled with them at 2 (understanding what the app wanted them to do, actually accomplishing the task), so if your kid hasn't used a tablet before, those might not be great. (On the other hand, the Duplo Trains app might be entertaining for him to watch with you actually loading the train, repairing the bridges, etc.)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Download Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood episodes from Prime Video. Do it. Do it now. Let Our Lord and Savior Daniel Tiger preserve your in-flight sanity. It's the only way.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm stuck in a weird world of American consumerism at the moment - first kid is on the way in about a month and we need a stroller. I exist in a weird bubble of well to do professionals and the recommendation people keep giving me is the Uppa Baby Vista - which costs more than $1000 with the accessories.

Am I insane or is that way too expensive for a drat stroller? It seems like the others do just fine - and so long as you can strap the car seat in there it seems fine - am I dooming my child to a life of mediocrity by getting a cheap stroller? Is that UppaBaby really worth it?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Happy Fathers Day EU dads.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Sab0921 posted:

I'm stuck in a weird world of American consumerism at the moment - first kid is on the way in about a month and we need a stroller. I exist in a weird bubble of well to do professionals and the recommendation people keep giving me is the Uppa Baby Vista - which costs more than $1000 with the accessories.

Am I insane or is that way too expensive for a drat stroller? It seems like the others do just fine - and so long as you can strap the car seat in there it seems fine - am I dooming my child to a life of mediocrity by getting a cheap stroller? Is that UppaBaby really worth it?

Sounds like you already know the answer, but just need reassurance: of course you don't need to spend nearly that much on a stroller, there are many cheaper ones that work just great. There may be more features on an expensive one, but the only likely consequence you'll notice is social.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sab0921 posted:

If I remember correctly, this is rated as "Best splurge stroller." My aunts and cousins all went in on it for my boy's shower. It handles well,the adjustable stroller height is great for me and my wife, I like the car conversion, and it has space to expand for a second kid. The biggest downside is the car seat traps all the heat my boy produces, which is a lot. For you, make sure you keep reading reviews and test strollers out in the store. In spite of my praise, I don't think I would have spent that much myself. If you can get an all-in-one setup for cheaper and you like it, go for it. More money for diapers and clothes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TacoNight posted:

Sounds like you already know the answer, but just need reassurance: of course you don't need to spend nearly that much on a stroller, there are many cheaper ones that work just great. There may be more features on an expensive one, but the only likely consequence you'll notice is social.

That's what I figured - it's mostly a social signifier than anything else - Accord v 3 Series at its core. It's just kind of annoying to see how deep the status signaling infects every aspect of life from weddings to homes to cars to baby gear.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

That's what I figured - it's mostly a social signifier than anything else - Accord v 3 Series at its core. It's just kind of annoying to see how deep the status signaling infects every aspect of life from weddings to homes to cars to baby gear.

My child suffers in a significantly down market crib compared to our peers. Somehow is turning out just fine.

I didn't see why the crib had to be heirloom furniture. It needs to last exactly 3 years and not look completely terrible. Amazon, $150, done.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lifehack: Spend £0 on a pram and wear your child instead

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

FunOne posted:

My child suffers in a significantly down market crib compared to our peers. Somehow is turning out just fine.

I didn't see why the crib had to be heirloom furniture. It needs to last exactly 3 years and not look completely terrible. Amazon, $150, done.

Seriously. Ours is covered in teeth marks, very glad we didn't spend a ton on it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Lifehack: Spend £0 on a pram and wear your child instead

Same. We had no stroller at all for the first year, when an aunt found out about it and sent us a Britax b-agile, totally unprompted. We used it mostly for travel.

Now that we have two, the stroller is a little more useful, but still not a 100% necessity except for things like the zoo.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Our first got the brand new Mothercare cot, the second got the Ikea cot, the third got the Gumtree cot, v0v about the fourth.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I love expensive strollers, having them is like having a nice car - unnecessary but if you can afford it and it brings you joy, who's to judge? It can be hard to feel human and excited to go out in that first year of parenthood, and having a nice stroller got me outside more. I also babywore a ton but sometimes it's nice to have personal space and not overheat, especially in summer.

My personal view is that the Uppababy Vista is overrated, I specifically avoided it because I didn't want to be like every other person in our town. It's good though if you want to have kids back to back since it can convert to a double (with more pricey accessories of course). I also think bassinets are useless so I disliked being forced to buy that as part of the package.

My American consumerist recommendation would be to get the Bumbleride Indie, it's an awesome San Diego-based company that focuses on using recycled materials, the strollers are amazing and the customer service unbeatable. The Indie has all terrain tires and can be used for light jogging. You can use it with newborns directly or get carseat adaptors to pop the carseat in. The seat is deep and the canopy is huge and it should last you a few years before your kid outgrows it. I still frequently use a stroller with my tall 2.5 year old - yes, he can walk but he rarely walks in the direction you need him to and he has a tendency to run into traffic, so the stroller is key in keeping him contained and transporting him to where I need him to go.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

If you’re in a well-to-do area and you can afford it, I would recommend getting a high-quality stroller secondhand. I got an excellent condition Bugaboo Cameleon (with bassinet + child seat so newborn on) for $350, used it for 2.5 years, and sold it for $200. It was totally worth it; I love babywearing but my kid and I both get hot really easily and live in Southern California. We’re outside most of the day and I walk a lot of places, so it was great to have a mobile napping option that wasn’t on my body. When my kid went over the Cameleon’s weight limit, I picked up a Citi Mini GT for $175 that had only been used for 2 weeks. I’m anticipating this will be the last stroller I own since we’re only having one kid. I would recommend either stroller; they’re a dream to push.

I’ve tried an Uppababy Vista; it’s good too. I wouldn’t go out of my way to get that one, though. I’d just get whatever deal comes up secondhand.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So my son's tonsillectomy recovery was, I thought, over and done with. He hasn't needed any painkillers for 2 days, seemed entirely back to normal today, then woke up at 10pm this evening spitting and vomiting blood. Called an ambulance, currently sat in the ER, he's back to normal, bleeding seems to have stopped, but gotta wait hours for a doctor to check him out before we can go home. I just want this all to be over with, the stress is unreal constantly worrying :(

And seeing your child vomit a bunch of blood is some scary goddamn poo poo

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Also most things baby :

Get the expensive amazing version. But get it used. Then sell it for the same amount or more 3 years down the road.

That's what we've been doing up to now and we managed to actually turn a profit on quite a few items. Our stroller was 650$ used and would be well over 1k new (Baby Jogger City Select with 2 seats). We see plenty at 700$ used that disappear in a couple of days, you bet we'll sell our for at least as much as we paid for. A high quality stroller just won't die. If it looks clean and has no missing parts it's probably just as good used as it was the day the person purchased it new.

So in the long run it's free and you also get to use an amazing product and when it comes to stroller a great product is just amazing to have. Cheap strollers are a pain and a half.

That's what we do with everything. We bought so few things new and had a lot of hand me down. When everything will be said and done, I'm pretty sure the cost of baby "stuff" will be around 0$ except for clothes which will still be really cheap since we use mostly used/hand me down.

Baby stuff really doesn't need to be expensive. Most of it lasts forever too so buy used and then resell. poo poo is so easy with facebook groups and such

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 18, 2018

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

KingColliwog posted:

Also most things baby :

Get the expensive amazing version. But get it used. Then sell it for the same amount or more 3 years down the road.

<snip>

Baby stuff really doesn't need to be expensive. Most of it lasts forever too so buy used and then resell. poo poo is so easy with facebook groups and such

Yep, this is us too. Our one weakness has been clothes, because so much of our hand me downs were terribly gendered pink glittery lacey stuff so we elected to go out and buy some neutrals (because face it, sometimes you see really cute stuff).

Re: strollers, it depends on your needs. We're in an apartment so my criteria was compact and lightweight. We got a used Combi Urban Walker secondhand for $50. It is super lightweight, stands by itself when folded and I can unfold one-handed. We babywear most of the time, but it has been handy, especially for grandparents who aren't comfortable babywearing and aren't strong enough to carry her a lot.

Downside is now that she's older, it doesn't have a very upright sitting position so she doesn't like being in it when awake, unless we undo the shoulder straps so she can leeeeeaaaaaan forward. Still, for us it has not been worth changing over to a Bugaboo Cameleon or similar though. Most other prams are just bulky, heavy and awkward especially when folded.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I owned several strollers before ending up with the UPPAbaby Vista and it was 100% worth it for us. It pushed *so* much better than any other option and the seat is very high compared to others, which my kids adored (we could just push them right up to the table in many locations too). They have a warranty if you fly with them in their branded travel bag, which saved us once when an airline really beat up the stroller. The company sent an entire new frame.

Strollers have been something we’ve always splurged on, because we walk a ton. Even so, all of my UPPAbaby purchases (we have a Cruz for #3 and it’s also great, as well as a G-Luxe that is by far the most superior umbrella stroller we “test drove” with its big wheels) have been new but discontinued models/colors. It’s a great way to save quite a bit of $$$ and it usually doesn’t much matter if you buy a 2016 in 2018 or whatever.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

Bardeh posted:

And seeing your child vomit a bunch of blood is some scary goddamn poo poo

Yikes! Hope everything is ok, that would be scary as hell.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I was no-frills from the start. We had a dropside crib hand-me-down and a baby walker, both banned in the US for a variety of reasons, so by all rights my oldest shouldn't have survived his infancy. For the others (and yes we replaced the dropside crib) we bought Ikea cribs secondhand on craigslist, and almost all clothes were (and still are) secondhand. We cherrypicked the best (no stupid generic sports stuff for the boys and no gaudy pink frilly crap for the girls) but for the most part we didn't care how we dressed them because they are babies. Who cares if their saying on their shirt is clever, they are going to barf all over it anyway.

I have never understood folks who paid tons for a crib, or for a stroller, or for much of anything baby related. But then again, I don't waste money on a lot of stuff I consider extraneous and that others consider necessary indulgences. If you can afford it, awesome. It just seems money could be better spent on other stuff like awesome adventures, but ultimately who is anyone to judge? I know a couple who paid a small fortune for a night nurse for their infant, because for them they would rather pay someone else to deal with night feedings than lose sleep. I don't think they are bad parents, I just don't think I could justify that kind of extravagance.

You are going to be judged for so many aspects of your parenting. Ultimately, do what you feel comfortable with and what seems best for your kid.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sab0921 posted:

Holy poo poo drat. We bought 2nd hand, 120 euros and thought it was expensive for a twin stroller.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FunOne posted:

Heirloom furniture is what we got, as in oold poo poo that gets inherited down and thus is cheap. Rocking crib was made my moms great grandad or something in 1916. One of the toddler beds I used to sleep in was used by one of my kids and all my sisters kids, it has been doing the rounds around the family and will keep on doing so. Man we got so much old stuff still in use, it occured to me last night that the towel I wrapped around Daniel after swimming, has in fact been with me since 3rd grade. This makes me wonder, how long is a towel supposed to last? This is nearing 30 years now and it's been part of the regularly used set of towels we own.

Same thing I noticed with a couple of bed sheets I got from my parents, same ones I had as a kid. I do enjoy this reusing of old stuff, it really seems to last like gently caress.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

His Divine Shadow posted:

I do enjoy this reusing of old stuff, it really seems to last like gently caress.

We have a few heirloom items like that as well and they are indeed sturdy. The old stuff that wasn't sturdy got worn out and thrown away ages ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah the twins had another escape this saturday. Same deal really, I was home alone, I was working on something and 5 minutes later I can't find them, I walk around the yard, check in the house, the play yard next door. Nothing! Shouting their names without luck and I don't got a car as the SO took it to work.

I jump on her too-small-for-me bike and pedal away towards the big road to look for them but when I get there I can't see anything and they couldn't make it that far in such a short time... I head back and pedaling up the slope and the bike chain jumps off, argh! I get it back on but am too tired to pedal up the slope so I walk the bike back and then I see them coming from the other direction...

I guess it was a mistake to take the bikes back down from the ceiling hooks.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

kirsty posted:

Yikes! Hope everything is ok, that would be scary as hell.

He's fine, the doctor took a look and saw fresh clots, another scab came off and must have bled. It only seems to happen at night though, and always just after he goes to sleep. It's weird. Three times it's happened now, always at that exact time. There was more blood this time than before, and I freaked the gently caress out and immediately called the ambulance. Of course by the time we got to the hospital he was completely fine, and despite it being 11pm he was climbing the walls and being his usual chirpy, happy self. He's got some antibiotics just in case, and now I count down the hours until bedtime to see if we get another repeat performance this evening.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Also most things baby :

Yes! My strollers didn’t/won’t wind up selling for more than I paid because I put hundreds of miles on each one and they’re obviously in used condition. But I bought a beautiful Stokke nursery set used for $500, cleaned it up and replaced all the parts (free from the company), and sold it for $800 when we wound up bedsharing.

We never did wind up using a crib. Just went straight from our bed to a twin mattress on the floor. It made me realize that for every piece of “absolutely necessary” baby gear, someone out there doesn’t need it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're not even going to bother putting up our crib for the second one. He's due in early August. We're planning on moving next May. We have a bassinet and a full sized co-sleeper so it should work well enough until we move. We're in a second floor apartment and the crib is all the way in the garage. :effort:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Our lord and master Daniel Tiger has been replaced.. by Arty the Alien. Thanks Creative Galaxy..and your 2 whole seasons. :smith:

The upside is, we know he's super interested in art.

The downside is, 2 seasons means you get to watch the same episodes way more often.

On the stroller talk,

We got a Chico(?) one for like $200 on black friday and it's been fantastic. We did splurge on car seats and got the 4-in-1 types so it balanced out spending wise.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 18, 2018

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I go to the Once Upon a Child in the affluent area to buy a lot of baby stuff. A lot of times the clothes still have tags on them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Daniel tiger has backfired on us. One of the episodes, baby margaret is afraid of the dark. Our almost 4yo has picked up on this concept and now claims the same and insists on having her closet light on. Of course she doesn’t fall asleep and plays with her toys. I’m taking out the closet lightbulb today before bedtime so hopefully that’s enough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our kids were never that into Daniel Tiger, they watch it but it's not their favorite. They've watched every episode of the moomins multiple times though, and the three Pettson and Finuds movies we got as well, can't understand they don't get tired of them.

Pippi Långstrump (Longstocking) the original swedish series from the 1960s has been watchable as well, even though it's not a cartoon.

Tried Emil i Lönneberga too but it wasn't much of a hit, but I think it will go over with them soon.

Guess most of these are not familiar to US parents.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
On stroller talk, my suggestion would be to go to a store and try as many as you can. If the stroller is a pain to pack/unpack, hard to move around corners, the arms are too long/short or blah you will not use it as much. Or use it and hate it every time.

Also divine shadow, mate. I think the bikes need to go until they’re old enough to stay away from the big road. I would have had a heart attack.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fortunately it's kinda rural and they went the other way away from the big road, but yeah the bikes remain up there and we only take them down for supervised travel now.

I was told me and my cousin did the same thing their age, except we walked 5km to the next village over (I grew up very rural, a few houses, farms and a lake, then only kilometers of forest in all directions) were an old lady recognized us, brought us in and phoned our parents while we got some lemonade. They had assumed we were both at each others place, or grandmas.

It doesn't seem to matter what they do, my mom will find an example and say I did the exact same thing as a kid.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I was looking forward to teaching my kid how to bike but wow :stare: I don't know if I am prepared for that kind of panicking.

In other panicking (because my entire parenthood experience so far has just been a long extended series of panics):
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/the-dangers-of-distracted-parenting/561752/

I try but I have been/am guilty of this from time to time. :( A lot is happening right now and it is really really hard to not multi-task. I can't even rely on naps anymore because she's gone down to 1 a day now and the nights are filled with nightmares and constant waking. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Leng posted:

I was looking forward to teaching my kid how to bike but wow :stare: I don't know if I am prepared for that kind of panicking.

In other panicking (because my entire parenthood experience so far has just been a long extended series of panics):
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/the-dangers-of-distracted-parenting/561752/

I try but I have been/am guilty of this from time to time. :( A lot is happening right now and it is really really hard to not multi-task. I can't even rely on naps anymore because she's gone down to 1 a day now and the nights are filled with nightmares and constant waking. :sigh:

I think the hard part about this is the fact that there's a lot to childrearing (especially babies) that can be extremely boring for the parent. I know it sounds messed up to say, but there's plenty of parents, moms in particular, who will talk about how isolated they feel because as cute as babies are, you can't have the same engaging back-and-forth conversation with them as you can with an adult. So adults likely are adapting to dealing with this boredom the same way they would when performing other tedious tasks like laundry or housecleaning- by having a distraction present to help pass the time more easily.

Then there's the fact that I bet kids likely will pick up on the inattentiveness and take advantage of it. A curious, rambunctious toddler is gonna know that the best time to grab mom's perfume off her nightstand is when mom is reading TMZ on her smartphone. Something they are not supposed to eat, play with, or get into will inevitably have windows of opportunity, and I bet to the parent it will just feel more frustrating as they feel like they can't even get a goddamn second to finish reading a sentence without their kid trying to commit suicide through toddler curiosity.