Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So not being able to log in if you're a Steam user is just a known issue for the past 4 months huh?

Is that why I couldn't all of a sudden yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mastodon Compound
Oct 2, 2012
So should I be deconstructing or keeping all this set gear i've gotten. I'm only level 20 and have pretty much just been keeping what I like for any alts.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bardeh posted:

I'm guessing I'm in Morrowind because there's giant mushrooms and stuff everywhere - I've been to Vivec city and am doing a quest for the dude up in the citadel to explore 3 towers. Should I do the oldgame quests first, or does it not really matter with this level scaling stuff?

You can play wherever you want, but the Morrowind story is part of an arc started in DLC and continued in Summerset, which is separate and set after the core arc in the oldgame.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It’s a long shot but if there is anyone else still playing on PS4 add me on PSN: “literallygary”

All of the goon guilds are basically dead but I have a pretty good guild I found on Reddit that does a lot of group content and PVP.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sinteres posted:

You can play wherever you want, but the Morrowind story is part of an arc started in DLC and continued in Summerset, which is separate and set after the core arc in the oldgame.

I didn't know about this and I already finished the main Morrowind story. Where does the post main quest story start?

Edit: Also, how many people have rebound their ability bar keybinds? I can't seem to find a way where I can comfortably spam 1-5 while circle strafing and bar swapping with ~.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 18, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I didn't know about this and I already finished the main Morrowind story. Where does the post main quest story start?

I think there's a little bit in the Dark Brotherhood DLC, and there's an intro quest set before Morrowind called The Missing Prophecy that was available to everyone as a teaser.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mastodon Compound posted:

So should I be deconstructing or keeping all this set gear i've gotten. I'm only level 20 and have pretty much just been keeping what I like for any alts.

deconn anything green+ that you aren't wearing, there's no sense in keeping low level gear around, sell whites.

That's if you're doing crafting (I recommend it because you REALLY need to skill that reduces the amount of honing mats for when you improve your gear to gold)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there anywhere decent that has good skill/build guides? With all the options for armor and weapon and class skills, I'm kind of lost. Currently running a Dragon Knight, and just putting points randomly wherever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Summerset is pretty, but man does it have you running around a lot. Go here, go there, go back to that site. Here's a map with some breaches to seal.

Also, does the mages guild quest line give skill points? I skipped it on my main because I thought a DK was a non-magic user (which is kind of silly.) I was going to run it on an alt, but if the line gives skill points, I'll keep at it on my main.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Another PS4 player here. PSN is HighOnPyre.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there anywhere decent that has good skill/build guides? With all the options for armor and weapon and class skills, I'm kind of lost. Currently running a Dragon Knight, and just putting points randomly wherever.

Alcast is a solid place to check out. He tends to have builds for every conceivable PvE role for each class, and plenty of PvP builds as well. As with any build though, I recommend using it as a guideline rather than an absolute meta. ESO is different in regards to gear and such - your preferred content and individual skill more so determines your best-in-slot gear rather than it being the same for everyone.

On that note, ESO Sets is a great site for going through the multitude of sets available in the game.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've also found https://dottzgaming.com to have decent leveling builds. The tight layout makes in convenient to have in the background for quick skill references.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I took a look through some of those build guides but it's almost complete gibberish and way too much info for a newbie like me. Can I respec later on, when I have a better understanding of the game? I'm a Templar and I've just been putting points in what looks cool, I take it that will suffice for levelling through the content and questing etc?

E: oh, the Dottzgaming ones are a bit more comprehensible. I'm not sure what they mean by 'front bar' and 'back bar' though

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 18, 2018

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
At level 15 you unlock the ability to equip a second weapon with its own bar of five abilities. Front bar is your primary where you'll start a rotation, back is your secondary with less used abilities or the ones that are later in your rotation.

When you're getting started and you don't have a lot of stuff to put on the back bar, set abilities in lines that you'd like to level up. When finishing quests, swap to the second one to funnel xp into that bar so you can level more skill lines.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Something I would add to this is that you will probably progress faster if you go back to the main story instead of doing morrowind first. You can start main story at any time by just going to a base game area and some guy will walk up and give you a quest.

Basically almost every base game main story quest gives a skill point when you finish it, while morrowind skill points are more spread out. Morrowind also requires a lot more long distance travelling to work through the story.

Also mundus stones dont exist in morrowind which isn't a big deal but something to keep in mind. End of the day doesnt really matter but if you want to speed up progression probably better to do base game first.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Bardeh posted:

I took a look through some of those build guides but it's almost complete gibberish and way too much info for a newbie like me. Can I respec later on, when I have a better understanding of the game?
Yes. It will cost some gold though, depending on the amount of skillpoints that you spend. You can also respec all your morps separately for little gold, which is a godsend sometimes.

Bardeh posted:

I'm a Templar and I've just been putting points in what looks cool, I take it that will suffice for levelling through the content and questing etc?
Oh, absolutely.

Bardeh posted:

I'm not sure what they mean by 'front bar' and 'back bar' though
The two weapons you can equip. Each has a separate skillbar. You get the second one at level 15.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Just got the game, do I really need to respec everytime I want to switch from pvp to pve? Most other games let you have at least 2 different skillsets you can switch between.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurningBeard posted:

At level 15 you unlock the ability to equip a second weapon with its own bar of five abilities. Front bar is your primary where you'll start a rotation, back is your secondary with less used abilities or the ones that are later in your rotation.

When you're getting started and you don't have a lot of stuff to put on the back bar, set abilities in lines that you'd like to level up. When finishing quests, swap to the second one to funnel xp into that bar so you can level more skill lines.

My one complaint with my skill selection so far is that if I want to keep my clannfear and winged twilight when I enter punchmage mode or switch to my secondary weapon then I need to have those skills slotted in all three bars, which really hampers what I can actually do on a regular basis. They're good and I like using them so whatever, but it sort of limits where I put my skill points since I only have so many attacks I can actually use.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

RBA Starblade posted:

My one complaint with my skill selection so far is that if I want to keep my clannfear and winged twilight when I enter punchmage mode or switch to my secondary weapon then I need to have those skills slotted in all three bars, which really hampers what I can actually do on a regular basis. They're good and I like using them so whatever, but it sort of limits where I put my skill points since I only have so many attacks I can actually use.

I believe that’s what most people call, “balance.” Choose a pet or choose a different ability; it may be annoying, but Sorcs would be even more insanely powerful if they had access to those slots plus pets.

Could be worse: Wardens lose their Ultimate slot if they go with a pet (and their pet isn’t even as good).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Coldforge posted:

I believe that’s what most people call, “balance.” Choose a pet or choose a different ability; it may be annoying, but Sorcs would be even more insanely powerful if they had access to those slots plus pets.

Could be worse: Wardens lose their Ultimate slot if they go with a pet (and their pet isn’t even as good).

Uh, my 90k bear ult would like to have a word with you :toughguy:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Two bars? Awww hell naw, I ain't got time for that.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Scyantific posted:

:yeah:

I recently swapped my stamina warden's ultimate over to the bear and it easily added 3-5K DPS.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Scyantific posted:

I main a Warden, but come on. You could just play a Sorc and get a pet that offers a heal plus whatever a matriarch does, and not need any extra DPS because you’re a Sorc :stonk:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have no context for sorc dps I just want to mash more buttons :v:

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Gonna check this game out for a bit. @Ougher is my tag, toss me an invite for the guild shenanigans.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Coldforge posted:

I main a Warden, but come on. You could just play a Sorc and get a pet that offers a heal plus whatever a matriarch does, and not need any extra DPS because you’re a Sorc :stonk:

I got ESO last summer right after Morrowind came out, but only just now got into it. I really dig the warden aesthetic. Does it do okay as PvE mag DPS? Nobody has really written a guide that I can find that's newbie friendly at all. I have been messing with a Templar. I throw dots, drop elemental blockade, and spam sweeps. I was just wondering if warden had the same kinda self sustaining approach since its got a healing line.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The loving bear kept getting in my way whenever I was trying to loot chests and stuff, so it had to go. I don't miss it.

BurningBeard posted:

I got ESO last summer right after Morrowind came out, but only just now got into it. I really dig the warden aesthetic. Does it do okay as PvE mag DPS?

Alcast has a PvE DPS mag warden build. It can work, but I'm pretty sure consensus is still that it's the worst class for magicka DPS. Every class except Warden has more than one DPS-related class skill tree, so you're not left with a lot of options.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 19, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Edit: Also, how many people have rebound their ability bar keybinds? I can't seem to find a way where I can comfortably spam 1-5 while circle strafing and bar swapping with ~.

I haven’t but I’m interested. Have you found any better keybind arrangements?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

BurningBeard posted:

I got ESO last summer right after Morrowind came out, but only just now got into it. I really dig the warden aesthetic. Does it do okay as PvE mag DPS? Nobody has really written a guide that I can find that's newbie friendly at all. I have been messing with a Templar. I throw dots, drop elemental blockade, and spam sweeps. I was just wondering if warden had the same kinda self sustaining approach since its got a healing line.

It can...but it”s not great or even fun, imo. I find that if you want a caster Warden, a better route is to go tank. You’ll use a lot of the same abilities, but be much less worried about the damage they do and more happy with the effect. Hybrid Warden tank is totally viable, at least until you hit the end game stuff.

Healer Warden also works well, but that’s a whole different set of skills.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Snowy posted:

I haven’t but I’m interested. Have you found any better keybind arrangements?

I use the extra buttons on my mouse.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How do the guild quests work now since One Tamriel?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Coldforge posted:

It can...but it”s not great or even fun, imo. I find that if you want a caster Warden, a better route is to go tank. You’ll use a lot of the same abilities, but be much less worried about the damage they do and more happy with the effect. Hybrid Warden tank is totally viable, at least until you hit the end game stuff.

Healer Warden also works well, but that’s a whole different set of skills.

Cool thanks for the info. I assume if I'm logical about skill variety that I'll be fine with the hybrid approach? Any particular pointers? Never really done tank before, what skills outside the class ones should I be aiming at? Do I have to frost staff like the game seems to want or do I have any flex there?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't played this game much since launch, but I got a key for the expacs so I decided to jump back in.

Just a few questions..

1. are werewolves still considered a joke? I can only go off what I saw people saying but apparently it was trash? Mostly asking cuz my original character was a vampire and that was fun so I wouldn't mind trying the other option.

2. Are Wardens any fun? Seems neat but I dunno if class balance is good or bad in this game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
1. Werewolf is really not particularly good for PvE group stuff. You can probably do better DPS without it, and it takes up an Ultimate slot. Unlike vampire, though, simply having it doesn't affect anything, so you're not sacrificing anything (except skill points) by trying it out. I'd say if you have the skill points to spare, do it anyway for fun, but not because you expect it to be useful.

2. I feel like Warden has fewer abilities that are generally useful than other classes do, and less synergy between its skill trees—the opposite of Sorcerer basically. I'm working on a DPS/healer bow warden right now and enjoying it, though. In terms of having fun DPSing I'd rank the classes Dragonknight > Sorcerer > Warden > Templar > Nightblade, and I do not expect a single other person here to agree with me on that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

BurningBeard posted:

Cool thanks for the info. I assume if I'm logical about skill variety that I'll be fine with the hybrid approach? Any particular pointers? Never really done tank before, what skills outside the class ones should I be aiming at? Do I have to frost staff like the game seems to want or do I have any flex there?

You can use ice staff or sword & shield, or both. For non class skills, you’ll definitely want to get all the taunt skills available if you go the tank route (puncture in sword/shield, inner rage from Undaunted). Also one or two attacks from each weapon type you choose. Sword and Shield should get puncture and maybe either low slash or defensive, Ice Staff should go with elemental wall and maybe crushing shock.

As far as class skills: Definitely the frost cloak and polar wind, the netch and healing vines. The shimmering shield is also useful, as is gripping ice shards. I think most of the fan sites have builds available for Warden tanks now, so you may want to give them a read.

Tanking is something you’ll either love or be extremely apathetic towards (I don’t think anyone really hates tanking, just more of “bleh, I have to tank for this group?”), but it’s worth trying.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Can anyone drop a guild (Chill Bros Chat Lounge) invite to @Actionsdower?

Giving this game a shot for some drat reason.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

2. I feel like Warden has fewer abilities that are generally useful than other classes do, and less synergy between its skill trees—the opposite of Sorcerer basically. I'm working on a DPS/healer bow warden right now and enjoying it, though. In terms of having fun DPSing I'd rank the classes Dragonknight > Sorcerer > Warden > Templar > Nightblade, and I do not expect a single other person here to agree with me on that.

Wardens are extremely flexible as a class, but yeah, they generally only use one or two trees per role.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm that crazy guy that always remaps the movement keys to rdfg in my case to give me more keys to map to things. Also I like having that home key nub to feel for to make sure i'm sitting on the right spot on the keyboard when I move my hand around. Currently I'm using 2-6 for skills, y to swap and q for the ultimate. Seems to be working out ok.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It really is amazing the lengths to which PC gamers will go in order to not use a gamepad. :v:

Use an Xbox controller, reassign Ability 3 to left d-pad and stick your least-used skill there, put bar swap on red face button, and have fun bar-swapping while strafing and not missing a beat.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Coldforge posted:

You can use ice staff or sword & shield, or both. For non class skills, you’ll definitely want to get all the taunt skills available if you go the tank route (puncture in sword/shield, inner rage from Undaunted). Also one or two attacks from each weapon type you choose. Sword and Shield should get puncture and maybe either low slash or defensive, Ice Staff should go with elemental wall and maybe crushing shock.

As far as class skills: Definitely the frost cloak and polar wind, the netch and healing vines. The shimmering shield is also useful, as is gripping ice shards. I think most of the fan sites have builds available for Warden tanks now, so you may want to give them a read.

Tanking is something you’ll either love or be extremely apathetic towards (I don’t think anyone really hates tanking, just more of “bleh, I have to tank for this group?”), but it’s worth trying.

Awesome info. Thank you. All the builds I see online are from the perspective of a cp160 character at least, so it helps to have it explained like I'm five. Last mmo I played was launch era WoW. Kinda weird getting back into things and ESO has an unorthodox character system too. Really appreciate the guidance.