Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean, are we really gonna pretend like every character in the roster is a huge name? There are characters in the roster far less deserving, but only got in because they were in one Nintendo game thirty years ago that no one played. Looking at you, Ice Climbers.

Sakurai has said a long time ago that Ice Climbers represent all the weird one-off NES games that weren't super popular and didn't become huge franchises.

Excite Bike, Urban Champion, Balloon Fight, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just lmfao if you don't think B.D. Joe is going to get added as a captain falcon echo fighter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Reiley posted:

[Thinking so hard the air around my head shimmers like a desert mirage] Hmm...... Guybrush Threepwood shall be next in line on the List to be included in smash. He meets all of the criteria.

His most powerful attacks would be his taunts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

His most powerful attacks would be his taunts.

Bobbin Threadbare has a better moveset

Sam & Max for Smash (duck hunt echo)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Some are suggesting K. Rool would work better as an Echo fighter of Captain Falcon the bounty-hunting racecar driver instead an Echo fighter of Ryu the street fighter, based on the observation that the relevant picture of K. Rool resembles CFalcon's C'MON taunt pose more than Ryu the street fighter:

This observation is reasonable on its face. However the conclusion is ridiculous. K. Rool could not fit in a recolored Blue Falcon for racing purposes, and could plausibly perform neither a Raptor Boost nor a Knee Of Justice in order to hunt and take down bounties.

Please stop trolling.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

smtv is switch exclusive and will probably be out sometime in the next 12 months so Jack Frost will be in smash; joining shovel knight

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I could see them add a tekken character, like heihachi

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MechaSeinfeld posted:

smtv is switch exclusive and will probably be out sometime in the next 12 months so Jack Frost will be in smash; joining shovel knight

I'd be very, very happy with Jack Frost in Smash. SMT has had a long history with Nintendo that continues to this day so it wouldn't be out of place at all, to the point that it had a crossover with one of Nintendo's big franchises (Fire Emblem), and Jack Frost is very good in general.

Give me Jack Frost, Sakurai.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jack Frost is a choice I have literally never heard mentioned before that actually has a lot of reasons to be included and now it has to happen or I am going to buy and destroy a Nintendo Switch

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vandar posted:

Excite Bike,, etc.

They should do Excite Bike and Mach Rider at the same time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The government doesn't want you to know that the Mach Rider was an Excitebike driver before the alien invasion, and when it happened they just strapped a gun to their excitebike and set off to save the world by driving a motorcycle somehow.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

no more 3rd party characters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharrrk posted:

no more 3rd party characters.

I'm fine with 3rd party characters so long as they have an actual connection with Nintendo. I dislike the idea of using characters that don't, and even as a big FF fan I still don't think Cloud was the right choice simply because FFVII is not a Nintendo game, even if he has appeared in Nintendo consoles thanks to spinoffs of both Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

I'd also like more proper Nintendo representation though. Waluigi meme aside, there's a few important characters that could be added, like Bandana Waddle Dee, Marx, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, probably a million others from franchises that are completely or partly owned by Nintendo and that don't have enough representation or could add very fun new elements to the game, or hell, are just particularly lovable characters in general.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no, more 3rd party characters!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Put Lara Croft in the game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Countblanc posted:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bandana Waddle Dee would be just about the only thing they could add to prevent me from bee-lining it to Squirtle and the Dorf. I love that little dude.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Jack Frost is a choice I have literally never heard mentioned before that actually has a lot of reasons to be included and now it has to happen or I am going to buy and destroy a Nintendo Switch

I'd have to wonder what the assist trophies would look like for SMT, given the variety of things you can summon in that series.

I'm assuming they'd go with something safe like a Pixie. There'd be too many awkward questions if literal Satan or Lucifer showed up in Smash Bros.

Not to mention Mara, which would never ever happen for reasons that should be obvious to anyone familiar with SMT or Persona.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm fine with 3rd party characters so long as they have an actual connection with Nintendo. I dislike the idea of using characters that don't, and even as a big FF fan I still don't think Cloud was the right choice simply because FFVII is not a Nintendo game, even if he has appeared in Nintendo consoles thanks to spinoffs of both Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.
I'm a bit torn. I think they should have a strong connection to Nintendo in some way. However, if they don't have a very strong connection, they should be extremely prominent in gaming culture, like Cloud. Like Tracer was an example earlier, she and any Overwatch character would feel shoehorned and kinda lovely, since the game has nothing to do with Nintendo, and isn't prominent.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Bandana Waddle Dee would be just about the only thing they could add to prevent me from bee-lining it to Squirtle and the Dorf. I love that little dude.

Coming to you live, the best of the 80s,90s and today, it's Squirtle and the 'Dorf here on SMSH 105.5

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
shovel knight should be an echo fighter of a link

and shantae can be an echo fighter of shulk

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Blaze Dragon posted:

They should've pulled a Twin Snakes-style remake of FFVII.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Gamerofthegame posted:

shovel knight should be an echo fighter of a link

and shantae can be an echo fighter of shulk

I'm not sure how you'd pull off most of Shulk's moves with Shantae...

Remember, an Echo fighter's moveset isn't similar to another character's, it is exactly the same. The only differences are mechanical.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheLoneStar posted:

Overwatch ....isn't prominent.

Uhhhhh

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean, no not really. It certainly isn't comparable at all to the other third-party additions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean, no not really. It certainly isn't comparable at all to the other third-party additions.

It's one of the highest profile modern games. There's a multimillion dollar esports league for it.

I absolutely can see an argument of "Overwatch has nothing to do with Nintendo, so Tracer shouldn't be in", but to say its not a prominent game is blatantly false.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Put Wart in, make him an echo of Bowser if you need to Sakurai, just give him bubbles instead of fire.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TheLoneStar posted:

I don't think Overwatch should be added, but just for perspective, didn't you say you wanted Earthworm Jim?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The next character will be cat peach

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

FisheyStix posted:

Coming to you live, the best of the 80s,90s and today, it's Squirtle and the 'Dorf here on SMSH 105.5
The King of Evil would abuse the poo poo out of the soundboard. One full hour of airhorn in between top ten countdowns.

Shadowlyger posted:

I'm not sure how you'd pull off most of Shulk's moves with Shantae...

Remember, an Echo fighter's moveset isn't similar to another character's, it is exactly the same. The only differences are mechanical.
Yeah, the 'identical moves' part of an Echo Fighter keeps giving way to 'similar fighting styles' in people's heads. I could see Shantae as a semi-clone of Shulk with her transformations taking the place of Monado styles and her hair as the Monado's extendo blade thing, but it would look weird as gently caress without some serious animation changes.

Now Shantae as a Simon Belmont echo I am here for, but only if she can do that hold-A-and-fling-the-limp-whip-around thing from Super Castlevania 4 but with her hair cause that poo poo looks hilarious in my head.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Countblanc posted:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think Overwatch should be added, but just for perspective, didn't you say you wanted Earthworm Jim?
I never said that, no.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
earthworm jim is epic, unlike overwatch.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You can't have echo fighters of people who don't share animations with each other guys

If someone with a different body type got made into an echo, they'd be horrifying pikaman-type monster!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
sakurai is contractually obligated to make all echo fighters function exactly the same confirmed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gamerofthegame posted:

sakurai is contractually obligated to make all echo fighters function exactly the same confirmed

that's literally what echo fighter means.

echo fighter (n):
a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate that shares all animations and parameters with another "source" character, differing only in terms of aesthetics and mathematical combat detail

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I kind of want Ditto for Smash. All of its move animations are borrowed from every other character à la Double from from Skullgirls. Yet the body remains pink/purple and has the same Ditto face superimposed onto the character model it's mimicking.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd also like more proper Nintendo representation though. Waluigi meme aside, there's a few important characters that could be added, like Bandana Waddle Dee, Marx, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, probably a million others from franchises that are completely or partly owned by Nintendo and that don't have enough representation or could add very fun new elements to the game, or hell, are just particularly lovable characters in general.

I guess Sakurai considers Cloud to be as close to the poster child of FF as you can get. I suppose there's Warrior of Light but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I guess Sakurai considers Cloud to be as close to the poster child of FF as you can get. I suppose there's Warrior of Light but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

if he's good enough for dissidia, he's good enough for smash