Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
help im :dorf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here's my copy of Therapist. Hopefully it works for you, IPA.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My dude squatted out an artifact, that's good enough for me :smug:
Making him do whatever is useful would be nice though

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IPA Regulations posted:

More good news, as an Engraver, you're sort of adjacent to my plans. The bad news is 'adjacent' is a key word, and the plan involves a lot of magma.

Hurray! I'm destined for Fun! (I assume this translates to my not having a useful job so being sentenced to mine through the key block.)

I hope all my experience of avoiding any kind of trouble thus far means I can run fast.

Requesting a screenshot of my status before you enact the Great Plan.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How's my dorf doing? I haven't seen any mention of him since he arrived at the fort, and I'm curious as to what he's up to.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Noted!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd like to know if my dwarf is still busy being incredibly useless, it would be a great comfort to me to be assured that this is the case.

Let me see... you're our resident chemist (I didn't know dwarves had that to be honest) and you're currently helping our starving animal problem while adding to our potential reanimated corpse problem.

Addamere posted:

Requesting a creature named after me whom uses a spear, dwarf or visitor is fine.

Sure. I think we have some unnamed Dwarves knocking around even.

Haifisch posted:

Here's my copy of Therapist. Hopefully it works for you, IPA.

Thanks, I actually figured it out last night. The very latest Dwarf Therapist won't work with 44.05 (our version), I had to get version 39.2 of therapist. So there'll be a proper update today.

Black Robe posted:

Requesting a screenshot of my status before you enact the Great Plan.

Good thing you seem to like digging, there's gonna be a lot of that.

Fuubi posted:

How's my dorf doing? I haven't seen any mention of him since he arrived at the fort, and I'm curious as to what he's up to.

Better than most, you seem to have some vaguely antisocial traits that are keeping you happier than a lot of our military dwarves because you're not affected by isolation. I think also maybe the fact you're a casual worshipper of whatever minor diety rather than Geshud, is making you less antsy about not having time to pray. Misanthropic atheism is apparently a great survival trait in Valleysilences.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I dream of raising a family, but I have four kids. I miss them, so presumably I abandoned them with whoever their father was to come here. Would have been nice to see them in an immigrant wave but there's still time unless this plan explodes the fortress.

I've apparently been spending my time reading poo poo, watching performances, getting euphorically drunk, and mining. Pretty dwarfy.

I also stopped caring about death a long time ago and am getting more selfish and negative. Sounds about right, though I wonder when I saw all those ravens die.

The personality screens are so much more in-depth than they used to be, this is all great stuff. Looks like I need to pray before the Plan starts, which would be a good idea anyway since it's a dwarf fortress plan. Thanks for the stats :) Glad you got Therapist working too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm excited for great magma plans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PetraCore posted:

I'm excited for great magma plans.

"great" and "magma plans" are 100% redundant.

Also, add me to the list of Dwarfs (no intention of playing because time)

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 17, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well, I guess fixing one problem while causing another balances out and more or less translates as being useless. Excellent.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
And so it was that in the year 569, the overseership of Valleysilences fell to the child known as IPA Regulations. Nobody can say for sure why the dwarves of the region chose somebody born barely 4 years ago to lead. Perhaps a surge of enthusiasm for electing somebody who breathed their first in the Fortress, no matter their inexperience. Or perhaps everyone in the martially minded fort was simply too busy training and worrying about the next attack of evil carrion from the infected wasteland outside to bother with notions of administrative leadership. Or perhaps it was that the child had a vision that captured the imagination of a people who by and large, lived a strictly regimented existence: training day and night to combat the numerous threats to the fort under a persistent shadow of death and sporadic layers of vomit.

A vision of safety and security to practice their crafts, without the need for such a large standing army carrying out lengthy tours away from their families. A notion of security and happiness through Dwarven ingenuity and machinery.

Perhaps the child was not even aware that her time as Overseer was anything more than a game to be played. Perhaps she was influenced by the adults around her, a puppet Overseer. Who can say?

What we do know is that the dwarves of Valleysilences, on the eve of the new Overseership, embarked on large scale new delvings. While the northern walls of the main floors of the fort were warm and filled with the faint glugging of magma moving through channels made by a previous Overseer in an attempt to bring fire to the dead wastes outside, the blood of the mountain flowed too slowly in this manner to be a practical weapon. The reservoir could not be filled quickly nor could it be deployed quickly enough in the event of a siege or a zombie incursion.

And so, a massive undertaking began. A new great staircase was constructed in the concourse outside the main dining hall, and two new floors of accommodation were drawn up. Those drafted into the new project would eat, sleep and work within this environment, with everything they needed close to hand. In time, it could become its own community within the Fort - dwarves dedicated to this New Work could hope for a better life than in the cramped, vomit encrusted barracks above.

Space was provisioned in the middle of the top accomodation area for workshops to build the necessary components and materials for the project.

The dwarves of Valleysilences were already familiar with minecarts, using them to bring heavy ores from the lower mines up to the smelters and forges. Beside this track, a new track was planned, winding its way up erratically to avoid crossing paths with the existing track or dwarf/magma inhabited areas.

Rather than precious ores - this track would be designated to bring heavy, magma safe rock up to the new workshops. This could curtail some of the most troublesome aspects of hauling so much stone to the project area. The planned track terminates at the workshop/stockpile area, and an initial staging area is planned, crossing an existing rubbish dump area.

As the miners go to grab their tools and strike the earth, the more traditionalist life of some of the dwarves goes on interrupted. Temperatures just hovering around freezing do not stop the newer recruits from drilling outside. Many of them new enough to the fort to not bear familiar nicknames yet:

In harsh conditions, bonds of fellowship can grow. One budding speardwarf becomes known as Addamere.

And elsewhere still, the mundane tasks necessary to the healthy operation of a fort (and to make sure nobody dies of exposure training outside naked in freezing weather) go on as they must. Administrator Fuubi personally contributes to the clothing supply.

A footnote in these times is that every tree outside the fort was ordered cut down. It may well be that with a firmly held belief that the outer approaches to the fort would be better if they were a scorched wasteland, the dwarves wanted to get all the wood possible for necessities such as beds and chests, before their machinations turned them all to charcoal (the trees, not the dwarves. At least, we can assume that was the intention).

And so the work began...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 18, 2018

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Another child ruler!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I like the writing style, IPA.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Liking this so far :) I forgot you were still a child, but you've made it work.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This is already looking good. Can't wait to see the Undertaking in action.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
What is my dwarf up to? Last I heard he was in the wrestling squad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What's my dwarf doing? I remember she was put in the military but I don't recall seeing her squad deployed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Chalk me up as another one who'd like a dorf update.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

So would I, please! :)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Heh, look at all these chumps clamoring for desperate mention of their dwarven avatars, as opposed to us martyrs who have already given our lives for the fort, some parts multiple times!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm pretty sure one of the squads I sent out during my turn will never return. So which squad that was, RIP.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

Heh, look at all these chumps clamoring for desperate mention of their dwarven avatars, as opposed to us martyrs who have already given our lives for the fort, some parts multiple times!

In my experience, the more you get mentioned the worse off you are

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Add me to the list of updates please. I came in as a child, but was old enough to join the military when that happened. Am I in the lost battalion?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm pretty sure I'm still just wandering around being a kid, right?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Lpzie posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the squads I sent out during my turn will never return. So which squad that was, RIP.

Hmm, I'll be sure to look into that. Last time I played was before the military arc of sending out squads developed.

I'll also do my best to work the update requests into the narrative. If there are named dwarves doing particularly tedious things and they belong to someone active in the thread I can probably try make their lives more interesting, and likely a lot shorter. But no promises on either!

That said I'm thinking I'll try do one month per update, I didn't have time to play tinight, but tomorrow evening is free afaik so I should be able to get one out then. I forgot how darn time consuming this is, not only remembering how to play this ridiculously obtuse game but also in such a way that you're taking notes on 150 little psychopaths running around and uploading and linking a million screenshots together etc.

Looking forward to it though and glad people enjoyed the intro!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have already had four children and I have picked up a spear. Give my kids something to be proud of and send me to Glorious death

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Was my dwarf one of the ones sent out in a squad, never to return? :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm surprised any of the squads return. Why would anyone come back here?!?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The same reason people keep immigrating here? :v:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:psydwarf:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

Those folks have the excuse that they don't know how bad things really are. And some of them apparently just get lost and find themselves here. But coming back once you've escaped? smh

ziz
Jul 25, 2007
not exactly working in your best interests since 1984
Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

I'm guessing we have really persuasive travel brochures.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS

ziz posted:

I'm guessing we have really persuasive travel brochures.

'Come for the volcano, stay because the biome won't let you stay dead and will reanimate you into a corpse to pummel your former loved ones'?

ziz
Jul 25, 2007
not exactly working in your best interests since 1984
Fallen Rib

Thadius posted:

'Come for the volcano, stay because the biome won't let you stay dead and will reanimate you into a corpse to pummel your former loved ones'?

"The perfect geographical climate for any dwarf! Feel like you can live forever! Free massages.*"

*not all massage therapists are certified

ziz fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 19, 2018

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Please crop and/or resize your images instead of using [timg]. Having to click on every picture is Bad :(

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please do whatever is most comfortable for you, because updates are good! but yes cropping would be preferred if you can, but no big deal if you cant be bothered

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

biosterous posted:

Please crop and/or resize your images instead of using [timg]. Having to click on every picture is Bad :(

Yeah agreed. I forgot about this while taking the images and by the time I posted and saw them breaking tables, I was not arsed to go back and resize and reupload them all, so I just timg'd them. Future updates will be resized to 1000px.

So I played up to the next update. As it happens, one update per dwarf month was pretty ambitious, or maybe it's just because literally the first few dwarf hours of playing were incredibly eventful. This meant that it took a lot longer than expected and I'm not going to type it up tonight, but will have it up tomorrow.

It's.... eventful.

Apologies in advance to those who requested an update, I think only one of you got touched on in the natural flow of things, but BOY did you get touched. All over. Fatally.

I'll get round to the rest of you in a small update after the dust has settled.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 20, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My body is ready

to rise up again and beat up whoever touches my goddamn artifact

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IPA Regulations posted:

Yeah agreed. I forgot about this while taking the images and by the time I posted and saw them breaking tables, I was not arsed to go back and resize and reupload them all, so I just timg'd them. Future updates will be resized to 1000px.

So I played up to the next update. As it happens, one update per dwarf month was pretty ambitious, or maybe it's just because literally the first few dwarf hours of playing were incredibly eventful. This meant that it took a lot longer than expected and I'm not going to type it up tonight, but will have it up tomorrow.

It's.... eventful.

Apologies in advance to those who requested an update, I think only one of you got touched on in the natural flow of things, but BOY did you get touched. All over. Fatally.

I'll get round to the rest of you in a small update after the dust has settled.

Maybe crop the full screenshots, but definitely timg smaller things like artifact descriptions. I'd rather click on every single picture while reading on my phone than not be able to see them because I don't have a microscope ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
The morning of the 1st of Granite was an auspicious one for the dwarves of Valleysilences. The outstanding mining orders for the bedrooms commissioned by the previous Overseer were almost complete, and it's said the child Overseer IPA Regulations watched the site of the new stairway eagerly to see which dwarf would do the honour of first breaking ground in her name.

It was the beginning of a new day in more ways than one. Dwarves assigned to undwarvenly surface professions such as ziz the woodcrafter were reassigned to mining and mechanics in anticipation of the new project. A sense of hope fostered across the many floors of the Fortress as outside the sun climbed to its apex, severely nauseating those still training outside.

Hope in a better future.

Hope in a brighter, but less nauseating, tomorrow.

That was until around noon, when an army of the dead marched on Valleysilences.

Led by a pallid human swordsman, a horde of armed and armored goblin and human corpses shuffled into sight to the north, near the Butchers shop nestled into the mountain.

The Fiery Portals had a patrol order outside and are among the first to spot the creatures. Just south of them the new recruits, including Addamere, continued to drill with their leader Deceitful Penguin, either unaware or uncaring of the impending doom.

Hastily, the order is issued for all dwarves to hurry inside. The more experienced squads The Icy Portals, Helmed Spears, Fiery Portals and Polite Askers are called to arms and/or ordered to mass just behind the Trade depot, while the Marksdwarves squads The Rough Toes and the Arched Points are told to form up in the fortifications overlooking the entrance.

InwardChaos and VodkaHead of The Fiery Portals stand their ground as their companions retreat, winding their crossbows and taking aim at the horde.

The two marksdwarves advance on the horde, firing bolts as they go. A bolt strikes true on one of the approaching dead, but whirls away, deflected by the armour the creature wears. These are no paltry ravens.

Nevertheless, the whizz of the bolts proves enough for the cowardly human swordsman leading the zombies, and he flees out of sight over the horizon.

Seeing the toughness of the armored dead, the order to get all dwarves inside takes on new urgency. The stubborn recruits still train at the outside armory as the two marksdwarves engage to the north, adamant they had not yet recieved orders to the contrary.

It takes a frantic order that training at that particular armor stand is no longer allowed to get them to begin to move inside. DeceitfulPenguin brings up the rear, getting conspicuously and noisily sick under the influence of the sun.

And thus the Order to get indoors was obeyed by all but the brave pair of Marksdwarves who looked set to give up their lives to stall the enemy's advance... and Jamsque.

The militia commander of the Fiery Portals was not about to let his dwarves die so easily, orders or not.

Taking cover from the enemy crossbows in the walkway between the butcher shop and the fort entrance, Jamsque advanced quickly from where she had been on guard close to the front gate as VodkaHead and InwardChaos continued to loose bolts and close with the shuffling corpses. Reaching the opening, Jamsque rounds the corner directly into the front line of the sieging force and begins laying about her with her silver war hammer, and occasionally her fists - filling the air with pieces of twitching undead as they crowd around her.

The force of the blows twists necks and sends heads literally spinning. She knocks off jaws and pulps appendages as she spins through the melee alone, dodging and parrying the clumsy attacks of the surrounding cadavers, all while expertly dodging the flurry of bolts fired at her from close range by a motley collection of rotting crossbows.

However a zombie in armor, though slow, is a fearsome foe. Blows that should have laid the mightiest mortal warrior low are but an inconvenience to the dead. And they are many and she is one.

As the brave militia commander goes down under a pile of writhing carrion soldiers, the two marksdwarves exchange looks and, bellowing oaths of vengeance, charge forward.

VodkaHead is the first to make contact with the enemy, bringing his crossbow around in a blurring arc and ringing the helmet of the first zombie he reaches. InwardChaos joins after, also using his crossbow as a club.

They too, find the difficulty in landing killing blows on armored undead.

It is hoped their sacrifice was not in vain, as all the dwarves of the Fortress make it inside, apart from DeceitfulPenguin, still stumbling slowly through his own vomit on the still-lowered front gate. And funktopus, who decided to run past the puking Penguin back outside to join the fray. We can only imagine what went through her mind as she charged.

The order is given to raise the gates while DeceitfulPenguin still stands upon it. It's hoped he gets inside, as enough dwarves had died this day.

Of course; when speaking of dwarven death, 'enough' is never quite enough to satisfy the dwarven history books. DeceitfulPenguin is passed by another dwarf making their way outside towards the zombie army.

As DeceitfulPenguin finally makes it inside, the middle gate slams shut. This leaves two more gates to close, as the previous Overseers in their wisdom had not seen fit to join all gates to a single lever. Though the zombies move slowly, it seems a bigger concern is preventing dwarves from trying to get posthumous mentions in the Book of Legends.

funktopus is in range of the enemy crossbows before HardDiskD makes it out the gate. funktopus charges directly into the horde while ducking a flurry of bolts loosed at her, showing enormormous bravery - or simply blatant disregard for her own life. She strikes out like the heros of legend, even as the dead surround her.

At the other side of the horde, one of the original rearguard marksdwarf pair, InwardChaos, goes down finally amidst the corpse throng.

Meanwhile, HardDiskD sensibly avoids charging directly in, and instead ascends the slope above the gate to gain a vantage point on the enemy.

Despite the futility of the sacrifices, they shall be remembered. But enough sacrifices. All squads are assigned away from the walls to prevent more heroics, and the remaining levers controlling the two open gates are ordered pulled. Nevertheless in the interim owlkisser follows HardDiskD outside and follows her up the slope, to the ledge outside the fortifications they were supposed to be garrisoning.

Even from there, they can no longer catch sight of funktopus.

HardDiskD finally heeds the call and returns indoors, double timing down the slope and across the gate threshold. When questioned later, she would be adamant that the Marksdwarf squad station order did not specify which side of the upper fortifications she was supposed to stand on, and there was a perfectly good firing ledge outside that she was going to.

But to the dismay of the Fortress, despite the re-issued orders to retreat further into the Fort until the gates were closed, a further FIVE dwarves have taken the field as the gears controlling the gates begin to clank and wind ominously. PhallicPhalanges, CathodeRaymond, chitoryu12, Clockwork Chaos and lamentable dustman make it outside as the horde nears the gate and the two remaining heavy stone bridges slam shut, sealing them out.

Meanwhile, owlkisser, who rather than follow HardDiskD back inside decided to charge into the enemy has fared about as well as the other poorly armed and equipped dwarves that wished to share the glory of Jamsque. He is brought down by the crowding zombies - perhaps most horrifically, coming face to face with the battered, reanimated corpse of funktopus and engaging in a desperate clawing melee with it.

CathodeRaymond and chitoryu12 are witnessed being cut down by the enemy - CathodeRaymond loses his head, at least assuring his eternal rest, and not bound to return and attack his former comrades like funktopus. For chitoryu12, this may well just be a short break.

The other Recruits, no doubt somewhat dismayed by the swift fall of their comrades and feeling spectacularly under-equipped to deal with the threat, hang back and dodge/block incoming bolts. Their companions, watching from the fortifications, urge them to flee.

And so the 4th of Granite, the 4th day of the Overseership of child IPA Regulations dawned a bloody red. The gate was finally sealed against the undead siege, and it kept out the cold wind, rain and sunlight as it almost kept out the screams of the dying and soon-to-be-dying, not to mention the shuffling moans of the actually-dead.

It was apparent some sort of military re-organization was needed, as well as some solution to this siege, one of the toughest to face dwarfdom. If ever proof was needed that the Outside needed to burn, Valleysilences had now seen it.

But The Great Undertaking would not be finished for months by even the most optimistic projections. They needed another Plan. Attention was turned back to the New Works staircase. It was not to be forgotten. No. It was more important now than ever!

If the dwarves could not bring the burning to the enemy, perhaps they could bring the enemy to the burning... perhaps, if Geshud willed it, in time to save their comrades trapped outside.

Hope those images are ok for everyone. I would like to put more notes on them to show who is who and what is happening, which I will probably do as I take them and upload for future updates as it's difficult to remember after even a short while with so much going on, rather than taking them all and trying to edit/upload in a batch after playing. This stuff is coming back to me and my flow is improving a little each time. One thing I'll probably do from now on is crop out the hotkey panel on the right in every shot unless it's relevant info.

This update took about 3 times longer than I thought for various reasons, apologies. Next will be a short update for those who requested that are not currently zombie chow or otherwise gotten an update, maybe combined with a bit of dwarven sapping as we try deal with this siege.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 24, 2018