Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is the bitching about retail thread. Let him bitch about retail. Jesus christ.

It's also been the bitching about bitching about retail thread since the start of the last fiscal year; corporate decided there wasn't a market for two threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Well there was a market, but it didn't get past the boys down in accounting and frankly Phillys the secretary who (secretly) runs the joint couldn't be arsed to make the calls and coordinate a SCRUM meeting with the C-list junior manager assistants so the advisory board who would put together a new thread about bitching about bitching about retail was never put to a floor vote and thusly died before it ever existed.

Schrodinger's thread-shelving reset paradox, if you will.

Pull around your chairs and let me tell you a tale of woe in which NERDYMCNERDNERD stubbornly pounds his head into a wall while screeching "I DID NOT KNOW THIS WALL WOULD BE SO HARD" as bloody chunks flow past his gaping lips. "I THOUGHT THAT THIS WOULD CHANGE IF I WORKED HARDER" he gurgled between broken teeth and bubbly coughs. So soon he forgot his time pushing a mop and the indignity which was thrust upon him. His manager comes across a spreading pool of gore as Nerdy twitches, vacant eyes staring at an unknowable plane of existence centered somewhere past the six palettes of dry goods that he cannot possibly move in time.

She leans down, icy breath somehow crystallizing in the fetid heat of the back loading bay.

"Hey. I need you to stay another hour late," she says. "Management is coming tomorrow and I need Aisle 5 fronted and prepped. Think you can handle that?"

Nerdy tries to focus on the voice floating above him. There's a blob in the light. He raises a hand, grasping at air and tries to form words. Fleeting visions of Citizen Kane dance across his consciousness as chapped lips try to form the barest whisper....

".....I.......need.......overtime....."

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 17, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You are like the only person who gets all worked up about him. Just put him on ignore and let the rest of us read his stuff.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Have any of you read a book called the Tyranny of Metrics? I think it's more associated with white collar work based on what I read in a review but seems hella relevant to retail.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Is having a really strong opinion on white vs raw sugar a thing?

Well, obviously it was to that one guy, but come on buddy.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Zenithe posted:

One of those diet things. 8/10 times I've been asked for stuff like that, it's been a crunchy dude with a man bun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Zenithe posted:

That's an area I know well. Healthwise, for any "normal" kind of source or form, there's no difference. Taste and texture only. When you get into obscure stuff like Agave "nectar", you have to start worrying about glycemic index.

There are several potential sources for "raw" sugar, but the push for it a couple years back came from finding a use for a byproduct of normal sugar refining processes. So a lot of the "raw" stuff is literally a repurposed industrial byproduct with good marketing. Again, though, in terms of health it makes no difference.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 17, 2018

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

"This recipe I found on Pinterest says raw sugar. I won't accept anything else."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

cephalopods posted:

"This recipe I found on Pinterest says raw sugar. I won't accept anything else."

"Your website said its here in store and in stock. Don't you even try to tell me you don't carry it because I'll know if your lying to me. I'd like to speak to your manager."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
And then there's Stevia

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

"Your website said its here in store and in stock. Don't you even try to tell me you don't carry it because I'll know if your lying to me. I'd like to speak to your manager."

Sometimes I imagine owning a gun called Your Manager

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eric the Mauve posted:

And then there's Stevia

Stervia

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The Dollar Tree down the street from my store had it's AC go out, so we got all of it's customers. It is already severely under staffed because of a few reasons, number one being almost all of it's customers are just massive gaping assholes. They are now coming to my store. Worst part is, we're in the same parking lot as another similar store, so we;ll be backed up, with both registers full, and people bitching or getting frustrated and leaving, and i'll look over at the other store, and it has like three cars in it's parking lot.

Also our Milk, Frozen foods, and Ice Cream coolers all went down (and the lights on the front are blinking, I have never seen that before). So that's fun on top of being slammed.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You are like the only person who gets all worked up about him. Just put him on ignore and let the rest of us read his stuff.

1:30AM my time after most of a sixpack of strong beer is definitely not a good time for me to be shitposting on the internet. My bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think if a day generates X amount of additional visits compared to the norm, it should be considered a holiday in spirit and as such pay out holiday pay. loving father's day.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

One of those diet things. 8/10 times I've been asked for stuff like that, it's been a crunchy dude with a man bun.

It was a middle aged slightly overweight dude, and it was the free sugar we have for our tea and coffee.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I too get furious about what other people want to put in their bodies

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Sundays are awful. Fathers day makes it even more awful.

Edit: poo poo frosting on the doodoo cake of today was my car overheating again on the way to my inlaws house after I got off work. And I barely made it home from there when it overheated yet again so that's another fun thing to deal with. How the hell am I going to get to work tomorrow

Sorry to spew car complaints but I dont even think it'll make it to the shop to get checked out. I'm stressed. And broke.

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 18, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was getting my coffee this morning and they had a new barista, clearly in training and trying to read from a script...with the supervisor literally standing right behind him, verbally telling him what to say, and interrupting him when he was trying to take orders on the proper greeting for each customer. It was real uncomfortable and i can only imagine how the barista felt and management like that makes me so glad i got out of retail and food service hell.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

1:30AM my time after most of a sixpack of strong beer is definitely not a good time for me to be shitposting on the internet. My bad.

I didn't think you meant anything by it. If I'm blowing off steam it is only fair that others do, too. :shrug:

Zenithe posted:

It was a middle aged slightly overweight dude, and it was the free sugar we have for our tea and coffee.

Ah, random curiosity then. I like it when I have an answer for those types of questions. I'd like to know more about the stuff I sell but that's like

work

that I wouldn't be paid for.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I rarely get any reports from this thread, but if people want to bitch about working in retail, let them bitch about working in retail.

It's bad enough already actually working retail lmao jk I'm unemployed, earning $0 :smith:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Honestly much of my anger towards pushing that rock uphill that our dear friend NerdymcNerdNerd does is directed at myself. I'm constantly in very similar straits at my own retail job and I'm lashing out at my own inability to make the situation better because I'm so focused on pushing that fuckin' rock. I just want him to stop pushing that fuckin' rock like I keep pushing that fuckin' rock because it's unhealthy to keep pushing that loving rock when nobody but you cares.

Just...a little recognition for pushing that loving rock, and a little help pushing that loving rock would be dandy. I can't get to the top of the hill alone, ya know?

Pentaghastly posted:

Sundays are awful. Fathers day makes it even more awful.

Edit: poo poo frosting on the doodoo cake of today was my car overheating again on the way to my inlaws house after I got off work. And I barely made it home from there when it overheated yet again so that's another fun thing to deal with. How the hell am I going to get to work tomorrow

Sorry to spew car complaints but I dont even think it'll make it to the shop to get checked out. I'm stressed. And broke.

Okay very simple diagnostics for this.

Pop the hood and get a good flashlight. Look for spewed coolant. Check the hoses coming and going to the radiator. Are there any pinhole leaks? If the car is running and at full temp, are there any drips or spurts going. If there are, there's your leak. Replace the hose and call it a day. If there are no leaks, that indicates either a fan relay (or motor) dying, or a thermostat that's not regulating properly.

Look on the top of your radiator for what looks like mineral buildup. Frequently the plastic tops of radiators crack. It's not the end of the world, and technically speaking sure you can try to JB Weld the sucker as a patch but that's fuckin' janky as hell and won't last. You'll need to replace it, which can get expensive but if you're savvy you can source a core without to much problem. Rockauto, radiatorsdirect, and so on are all likely resources.

Look down between the front and the back of the radiator between the fan and see if there is any leaf matter or a plastic bag or anything sticking. If there is, remove that material. Sometimes this is a problem, but it's one of the more rare ones.

Even if you're super broke, spend a few bux on a copy of Torq for Android and a compatible OBDII Dongle to plug into your OBDII port. This will give you much more immediate temp readings, and also allow you to pull codes to research the general system that's malfunctioning. This shouldn't cost you more than $20, tops. THIS IS A GOOD IDEA EVEN IF NOTHING IS WRONG CURRENTLY. I'm sure you've run into the endemic bullshit factor of mechanics everywhere who think that just because you're :females: you're inherently lovely at mechanical stuff. This is absolute horseshit and I have a big problem with this mentality as a whole which is why I encourage everybody to Get Good at diagnostics, irrespective of their skillset or gender. Show those fuckin' sexist mechanics what's what and by god you'll save a ton of money from shady assholes who want to capitalize on that perceived notion.

Moving on.

Okay if you've done the above diagnostics and are still having trouble: If you run into an overheat condition and poo poo's going haywire and you can't stop immediately to let things cool down: turn your cabin heat to maximum and crank the fan as high as it'll go. This will dump heat from the engine bay and help keep you from cracking the block as you're driving to safety. Obviously cracking the block is bad, but warping the block can be just as much of a pain in the rear end. If poo poo goes really tits up, blow as much heat as you can through the cabin. When you're stopped, let things cool down completely. This is a temporary measure only as you're treating symptoms not the cause.

It could be one of three things: the radiator fan motor is dead and not turning over when things are at temp, the thermostat is sending a false signal to regulate the fan/is stuck internally and can't manage coolant flow, or you have a leak in a component which has introduced either A: a low coolant level or B: air into the system which reduces efficiency. These are the big 3 when it comes to coolant systems and it's just a matter of figuring out which part is causing the problem.

Just remember: Cars are a collection of components and systems interlink. You can figure out a basic overheat condition if you pay attention to the components. You can figure this out even if it seems totally foreign and scary.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 18, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

We Are All Sisiyphus

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
On that subject:

Note that praise, and not blind praise, but an astute observation of something that was done is worth more than you'd think to someone who isn't getting anything else. When one of the butchers realizes that I went into his freezer in the middle of the night after the meat market has closed, sold half a case of pig feet, and priced, labeled, and shelved the rest of the case- then thanks me for it, that is a nice thing.

When someone says, "oh the shelves look straight", that is just... ok.

Zenithe posted:

We Are All Sisiyphus

Pushing the rock of mortality toward the edge of oblivion.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Aw yiss, another holiday out of the way. Approximately 10 days of peace before 4th of July shenanigans begin. Right after 4th of July the remodel of our department is scheduled to commence! Stay tuned for my grumpy posts.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

MC Hawking posted:

Okay very simple diagnostics for this.

Thanks for the help. Its my boyfriends car, a 2004 Pontiac something. Only reason I drive it is because we correctly assumed it wouldn't be safe on the highway. He drives my jeep to work. Lots of poo poo is wrong with it, not just the overheating thing. Power steering needs to be replaced, the a/c just...doesnt work, even the mechanic didn't know why. Sometimes the steering gets stiff and I can't turn and I think the alternator might be going out too. I get a charging system failure message sometimes.

I've been driving it less than 5 minutes to and from work all this time, no issue. Its only when I want to drive over 40mph or drive longer than 15 minutes it starts to do funky poo poo like this. Which is bad.

I'll pop the hood and look down in there, gonna drive it to a gas station (its on empty anyway) like two minutes away and see if it overheats again. We checked the oil and coolant yesterday and the levels looked fine. If a mechanic offers a bandaid fix at least for now or if we have to replace something that costs more than $100 he's just gonna say gently caress it and get a new car and I can drive my sweet, reliable Jeep again. He has great credit and money to put down on a car, I don't.

And anyway I miss driving my car, I kinda hope the Pontiac is hosed.

Sorry for car bullshit, thread. Related, but I have a princess shift today and no one leaves at the same time I do so I'll be hard pressed to find a ride home if I need one LOL

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
My money is on a thermostat. 15min is more than enough to get up to full temp and I'd be willing to bet it's stuck closed so you're not getting a full coolant loop.

Pull the oil fill cap on the top of the motor. Look inside the motor. Does it look like a milkshake or like whipped chocolate frosting? If that's the case, you have a blown head-gasket and you might as well junk the car.

Get a bicycle and bike to work. :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's almost always the thermostat fwiw

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MC Hawking posted:

My money is on a thermostat. 15min is more than enough to get up to full temp and I'd be willing to bet it's stuck closed so you're not getting a full coolant loop.

Pull the oil fill cap on the top of the motor. Look inside the motor. Does it look like a milkshake or like whipped chocolate frosting? If that's the case, you have a blown head-gasket and you might as well junk the car.

Get a bicycle and bike to work. :)

I was just thinking thermostat. I have had to replace one on 3 different GM vehicles. Also the fan clutch could be there culprit it it has one.

I think she would be losing water if it was a head gasket.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It would be loosing coolant if it was a head gasket, leaking gasket/seal or a blown hose. FWD so it doesn't have a fan clutch. Electric fan motor or coolant temp switch could be at fault, but most likely its a thermostat. Even more likely if its running old dexcool that hasn't been flushed in a decade plus.

Replacing a thermostat is dead simple most of the time and requires minimal tools and knowledge. Its also a generic "here, change this first and see if it fixed your overheating issues" item. And while it is possible to test a thermostat, its easier to just toss a new one in.

Also possibly at fault in your vehicle is the serpentine belt tensioner. You've experienced issues with every major serpentine belt driven accessory on the motor. Might be worth checking out if he keeps the vehicle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Store manager closed tonight. Rather than complain about everything I didn't get done, I'll just relay what amused me.

Our store manager is very detail oriented, and very picky. She does not trust her subordinates ( including her managers ) to do anything. Our ASM has over two decades of experience and regularly works 60+ hour weeks, but she'll loom over her shoulder like a condescending angel with OCD.

She drives people absolutely insane and she has no clue that she's doing it, which is a big reason of why I can't really ever be that mad at her. She doesn't do what she does out of malice, she just wants everything to be the way it is because the store is her baby, and she's terrible at reading people.

Still irritating tho.

Case in point:

Whenever you are the last man out of a department, she wants to walk it with you. Given that most people don't finish until their shifts are nearly over, this means asking them to do extra poo poo 100% guarantees they're getting out late. Technically, closing managers are always supposed to walk departments with people. In practice, the closing managers have poo poo to do and if you aren't a huge moron, they will trust you not to gently caress them over.

The first department of the night to close was produce. Every time he tried to leave, she found something new. In some cases, it wasn't even stuff they were out of- she just wanted him to cut more stuff for tomorrow morning, "just in case."

At one point he was trying to take a piss in the urinal next to me, and when he didn't answer his radio ( because he was pissing ), she badgered him until he finally picked up and said, "I'm busy. One sec."

Instead of just accepting this, she goes, "Doing what?"

He smiled a thin "I'm done with this day" smile and said, "Peeing."

Instead of accepting this, she explained the next series of things he was to do, and then asked him to acknowledge, at which point he went, "Aaaaaah!" and kicked the wall under the piss catcher.

He got out 47 minutes late.

The next department to close was meat. He had to wait for her to come and check him out, then he was told to run around the store, grab items off the shelf, and fill up all the upsale bins in his department.

Then when that was done, he was asked to do something else I wasn't a party to.

Twenty-eight minutes after his shift was supposed to end, she called for him again.

"He left," the CSM radioed back.

Next up was the deli. He radioed that his department was ready. She responded that he'd have to wait fifteen minutes. The deli manager clocked out, grabbed his beer and left.

Godspeed.

The last department to close was me, and I got out four minutes late. You might wonder how I managed to do that, with my store manager being the person she is. The answer is that I started closing my department an hour and a loving half sooner than I ordinarily would, and I radioed her half an hour before I was supposed to leave.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a good thing I'm not produce guy. If I get interupted taking a leak, whoever it is gets told to come back when I don't have my dick in my hands. I would have happily blurted that out over the radio too, and whoever else may be listening can just deal. It may not be polite, but at least nobody bothers me when I'm in the bathrrom now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nerdy, your SM is a massive raging rear end in a top hat and no amount of rationalizing is going to make it not so.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nerdy, your SM is a massive raging rear end in a top hat and no amount of rationalizing is going to make it not so.

It is because of the other things I've seen her do that I've reached the conclusion that I have. I've seen her buy breakfast for the morning shift, pizza at inventory, little Christmas things for people. Very small tokens, but things that came out of her own pocket that she didn't have to do. There is more but that's enough to paint a picture.

She drives me absolutely bugfuck insane and I am 100% demotivated whenever she's the one in direct control of me, but she's nothing compared to the ASM who, at my old store, made our produce clerk stay and finish his shift as his father lay dying in the hospital.

The ASM's rationale for that, was, quite bluntly, "What can you do, anyways? He's dying."

Dude's father died before he made it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It is because of the other things I've seen her do that I've reached the conclusion that I have. I've seen her buy breakfast for the morning shift, pizza at inventory, little Christmas things for people. Very small tokens, but things that came out of her own pocket that she didn't have to do. There is more but that's enough to paint a picture.

She drives me absolutely bugfuck insane and I am 100% demotivated whenever she's the one in direct control of me, but she's nothing compared to the ASM who, at my old store, made our produce clerk stay and finish his shift as his father lay dying in the hospital.

The ASM's rationale for that, was, quite bluntly, "What can you do, anyways? He's dying."

Dude's father died before he made it.

Uh, the ASM there is a gigantic piece of poo poo but why the gently caress would the produce guy not just walk of the job at that point?

Also just because your store manager isn't Hitler does not make her a good person. Even the dumbest, shittiest managers understand that buying done donuts or pizza once in a while help morally amd therefore productivity.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Hi I'm an SM and just got told my the area VP, division VP, area head of HR, area head of LP are all coming to my store on 2 days notice and they're expecting a dog and pony show

how many kolaches and donuts do i have to buy to have all my employees work like methheads for the next 36 hours?

it's ok though, my DM is sending me 2 store managers for 5 hours each to help prepare, surely that will be enough to prepare for people who don't work in stores and have unrealistic expectations for store and stockroom conditions :stonklol:

i am getting very drunk tonight

SaberToothedPie fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 19, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Was chatting with my brother and he said there are very clear comparisons in work attitudes between myself and Bernard Black from Black Books.

I had no response to that.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Getting out [b[47[/b] minutes late is ridiculous and I am amazed corporate didn't come down on them for that (then again my last job had a "manager" who when she closed [5/7 days a week] everybody got out 15-30 minutes late but nothing was ever actually done).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

On the flipside of that, we're all scheduled to 10 tonight but the goal is to have everything ready to leave by 9:05.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

dovetaile posted:

Getting out [b[47[/b] minutes late is ridiculous and I am amazed corporate didn't come down on them for that (then again my last job had a "manager" who when she closed [5/7 days a week] everybody got out 15-30 minutes late but nothing was ever actually done).

If it's managers who are getting out late it probably doesn't matter to them, if the managers are on salary. Generally Salaried staff are there to be exploited, and you work however long you need to work until the job is done. I know longlife managers and bakery managers in my company who do 60 hour weeks as a matter of course. Store managers as well, my store manager does 12 hours every single workday, and occasionally comes in on her day off to help out. A store manager salary in my company starts at like 120k though so I'm not terribly concerned.