Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
my mom & stepdad's house has some grover-level electrical weirdness. it has a lot - like a lot - of outlets, many of which are in weird places. my parents joked that the house had been built by an amateur electrician who was practicing his trade.

one day, one of the outlets in an upstairs bathroom stopped working. my stepdad went crazy trying to figure out why - checking the wiring, the fuses, everything. eventually he admitted defeat and called in a professional electrician.

it took the guy hours to figure out what was wrong. eventually he emerged from the garage, visibly disturbed and slightly disheveled. he had fixed it.

it turned out that the light in the garage door opener had burned out. my stepdad had removed the burnt-out bulb, but hadn't yet put in a new one. for some absolutely inscrutable reason, this caused the upstairs outlet to stop working. the upstairs outlet only works if there is a working lightbulb in the garage door opener. no one understands why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Keru posted:

I think they meant Roma, who are not Travelers, though? Travelers are their own thing and primarily a british isles offshoot, complete with it's own british version of 'oh they all steal you know?'.

I agree with the jist of the quote, though. We're hella loving racist about Roma people, and I've known several people who I figured weren't racist cockbags just casually throw out that line as if it was 100% natural and truthful. :smith:

Maybe he ment tourists? As someone who used to live in a touristy area you could do the same thing by saying the words look at the snow bird taking a picture of a palm tree to me.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

chernobyl kinsman posted:

my mom & stepdad's house has some grover-level electrical weirdness. it has a lot - like a lot - of outlets, many of which are in weird places. my parents joked that the house had been built by an amateur electrician who was practicing his trade.

one day, one of the outlets in an upstairs bathroom stopped working. my stepdad went crazy trying to figure out why - checking the wiring, the fuses, everything. eventually he admitted defeat and called in a professional electrician.

it took the guy hours to figure out what was wrong. eventually he emerged from the garage, visibly disturbed and slightly disheveled. he had fixed it.

it turned out that the light in the garage door opener had burned out. my stepdad had removed the burnt-out bulb, but hadn't yet put in a new one. for some absolutely inscrutable reason, this caused the upstairs outlet to stop working. the upstairs outlet only works if there is a working lightbulb in the garage door opener. no one understands why.

this is the kind of poo poo doctors would write a case study on if it were a dude instead of a building :wtf: are your parents going to get their wiring redone? i would be afraid to sleep in that house on the off chance that a full moon would align with venus and set the refrigerator on fire

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

That's cool your stepdad lives in the Resident Evil mansion

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My ol' wifenheimer were hunting for our first house together and thought we had found a pretty decent starter home. It had some quirks, but nothing we didn't think we could sort out or afford to pay someone else to sort out. Then we got the inspection.

The HVAC was powered by an extension cord that had the end cut and bare wires twisted together. This is also how the dishwasher was hooked up under the kitchen sink, so one can assume there were more examples of this elsewhere. The breaker box was of course a shitshow.

The list of deficiencies was long and the inspector said it was in his top 10 worst houses ever, but my person favorite feature was the insulation in the attic: 100% packing peanuts.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Their house is basically an old string of christmas lights where they're all in series.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Friend posted:

The list of deficiencies was long and the inspector said it was in his top 10 worst houses ever, but my person favorite feature was the insulation in the attic: 100% packing peanuts.

That is solid fuckin gold right there.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

What's terrifying to me is that in all probability, a bunch of the world's biggest computer-based services are the same way. Just a big pile of spaghetti and when you change the wording on a checkout page in Brazil, suddenly the payment system in Denmark is in Hebrew, etc.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

wayfinder posted:

What's terrifying to me is that in all probability, a bunch of the world's biggest computer-based services are the same way. Just a big pile of spaghetti and when you change the wording on a checkout page in Brazil, suddenly the payment system in Denmark is in Hebrew, etc.

As a software developer, I guarantee you this is the case.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Spanish Manlove posted:

Their house is basically an old string of christmas lights where they're all in series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaw70X7wb4

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

That is solid fuckin gold right there.

Found the inspection report

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
:stonk:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

wayfinder posted:

It's all of them. All code is terrible and every program is a tangled mess of gross hacks, badly organized structure, dependency on libraries that haven't been updated in 20 years, and prayer. The internet is accurately described as "always burning down all the time."

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"if you ever feel like you're cheating when programming, remember that a computer is a rock we tricked into thinking."

edit, as the follow-up from the original author was something like "well, first we have to flatten the rock then put lightning inside of it"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Neutral from the lightbulb goes to "hot" in the outlets. No lightbulb (to close the circuit), no hot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

Neutral from the lightbulb goes to "hot" in the outlets. No lightbulb (to close the circuit), no hot.

Sounds like soldering a washer into the light socket is the only solution.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CaptainViolence posted:

are your parents going to get their wiring redone?

no they've just accepted that that's the way the house is. eventually yeah they'll die because the ice cube maker in the freezer will run out of water and that will cause the ceiling fan in their bedroom to burst into flames

RabbitWizard posted:

i dont know what this means

chernobyl kinsman has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Jun 18, 2018

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

So... Um... Not to continue the Grover topic too heavily, but did no one call Grover out for drugging his loving wife?!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Slimy Hog posted:

Did you just come into some money or something?

Aphrodite posted:

Only because he was out of tissues.

worth at least a sensible chuckle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

So... Um... Not to continue the Grover topic too heavily, but did no one call Grover out for drugging his loving wife?!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Those are fake quotes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

no they've just accepted that that's the way the house is. eventually yeah they'll die because the ice cube maker in the freezer will run out of water and that will cause the ceiling fan in their bedroom to burst into flames

I think he means that it’s wired in such a way that the lightbulb literally completes the circuit, kind of like if you took the middle section out of a bridge and used a barge to fill in the missing section.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

This is a normal electrical installation:

Power goes from + to -

This is your installation:

The lightbulb is needed to complete the first part of the circuit, without it, no way for the power to go to the outlets.

Or I may be totally wrong, so this is the place to go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DicktheCat posted:

Nobody did because that never actually happened.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Here's Vincent Van Goatse at it again, trying to gaslight the whole forum and no one calls him out on it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's all of them. All code is terrible and every program is a tangled mess of gross hacks, badly organized structure, dependency on libraries that haven't been updated in 20 years, and prayer. The internet is accurately described as "always burning down all the time."
I have code in production with a comment that says "I'm the third person to work on this code. I can't get this part to work. If you're reading this, give it a shot and let me know at (my email) if you get it working."

I also left an easter egg in my code by defining "constant HAMPRINCE" but not using it for anything.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
We have strayed very far from funny forums quotes. I would like to request people post some of the little bits of fiction that pop up from time to time. I'm talking about things like the stories from the Seasteading and Glenn Beckistan threads, as well as the little vignettes that just appear in threads.

Impromptu fiction jams are my favorite recurring feature of these forums. I almost got one started in the "hole in my roof" thread, but it petered out. I'd go dig up some good ones, but I don't have archives.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

We have strayed very far from funny forums quotes. I would like to request people post some of the little bits of fiction that pop up from time to time. I'm talking about things like the stories from the Seasteading and Glenn Beckistan threads, as well as the little vignettes that just appear in threads.

Here's some classics from threads gone by:

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

HAHA one time this guy called for pizzas and got mad because we didn't deliver (pick up only). after five minutes of arguing and him being all gansta out of no where he goes BITCH I'M GONNA MISS 'MARTIN'!!!!! poo poo!!!!. i was so fed up with arguing that without even thinking i returned with WELL I HAVE TO WORK WHILE "MARTIN" IS ON AND I'M NOWHERE NEAR A TV SO I'M MISSING IT TOO HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL!?

there was an awkward silence for a minute then then he calmly said 'that's true i'm sorry man listen can you make my pizzas so that they are ready when Martin is over and then i'll pick them up afterwards?' i said sure no problem and left it at that. 40 minutes or so later the guy walks in and he was HUGE! like muscle huge. but he was soft spoken and when i rang him up he reached into his gym bag and said 'i'm sorry about yelling before' and handed me a VHS tape HE ACTUALLY TAPED "MARTIN" FOR ME AND GAVE IT TO ME. i almost wanted to cry and give him a hug it was so beautiful.

he really loved his martin show.

seebs posted:

Actual content: Most cats can be rebooted. If you've ever had to deal with a cat who wanted to mess with something, they can be pretty persistent in trying to get at it after you hide it. Solution: Reboot the cat. Basically, you have to give it a handful of stimuli too fast for it to process them without forgetting what it was doing. For most cats I've had, that's about three things. My usual process: Pick the cat up, blow in its face, drop it (not like throwing it, just let it down pretty fast), then snap your fingers once on each side of its head.

If this works, the cat will just sit there for a few seconds, then maybe lick itself, and walk off. It will not go back to trying to do what it was doing. If it does, add another step to the process, and you'll probably have something that works for that cat. Most cats, it seems to be 3-4 items, though.

(This may not sound useful, but seriously, it has been a HUGE win for me.)

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Tea Partiers are anti-government because they are old and racist; libertarians are anti-government because they are young and clueless. In theory they could ally with each other but they can't ever interact since Teabaggers don't understand the internet and libertarians don't understand "going outside".

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you have to sign a letter with "Not racist," you're probably racist. Normal people don't have that problem, you'll never see a note like "Bob- Be sure to buy milk, we're almost out. Not racist, Jim."

I've got some others but I don't wanna use 'em all up in one post.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Here's some classics from threads gone by:

seebs posted:

Actual content: Most cats can be rebooted. If you've ever had to deal with a cat who wanted to mess with something, they can be pretty persistent in trying to get at it after you hide it. Solution: Reboot the cat. Basically, you have to give it a handful of stimuli too fast for it to process them without forgetting what it was doing. For most cats I've had, that's about three things. My usual process: Pick the cat up, blow in its face, drop it (not like throwing it, just let it down pretty fast), then snap your fingers once on each side of its head.

If this works, the cat will just sit there for a few seconds, then maybe lick itself, and walk off. It will not go back to trying to do what it was doing. If it does, add another step to the process, and you'll probably have something that works for that cat. Most cats, it seems to be 3-4 items, though.

(This may not sound useful, but seriously, it has been a HUGE win for me.)

I've got some others but I don't wanna use 'em all up in one post.

Just tried this. My cat was sitting peacefully in a chair though, so when I rebooted her she looked around for a second, and then walked up to my dog and slapped him. Pretty sure that's in her startup folder though so I guess it worked

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’m pretty sure the only thing my cats are really persistent about getting is food. I don’t know that I could trick them out of being able to smell chicken bones or whatever, but I guess it’s worth a shot!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eela6 posted:

As a software developer, I guarantee you this is the case.

How can this be the case when software engineers, as they'll tell you, are the most smarterest people in the world?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pick posted:

How can this be the case when software engineers, as they'll tell you, are the most smarterest people in the world?

Software engineers who deny being idiots don't actually engineer software. They're probably, like, a manager

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
all software is poo poo because software engineers can never be fired because any time someone who isnt a software engineer has to interact with a software engineer they just let out a HNNNGGGGG and get the gently caress away from them

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

The guy or gal who wrote the code almost certainly had zero input into the architecting decisions.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phthisis posted:

all software is poo poo because software engineers can never be fired because any time someone who isnt a software engineer has to interact with a software engineer they just let out a HNNNGGGGG and get the gently caress away from them

Also because software engineers get wise to the fact that doing a lovely job is actually job security for them because they’re the only one who understands how their lovely programming works

It’s the Radium approach

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My brother called me one night because he said he was having an issue with an outlet. I drove over, walked into his room, and immediately smelled burning plastic. I asked what the issue was and he said, "just watch the outlet", and then flipped off the lights. The outlet was projecting a red-orange light onto the floor like shadow puppet show. I went outside and turned off the main. I then ended up cutting out a big section of wall because the meth addicts that owned the place before him had apparently come up short on wire and had spliced in about 2 feet of old aluminum 1960s trailer house wire.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Untrustable posted:

My brother called me one night because he said he was having an issue with an outlet. I drove over, walked into his room, and immediately smelled burning plastic. I asked what the issue was and he said, "just watch the outlet", and then flipped off the lights. The outlet was projecting a red-orange light onto the floor like shadow puppet show. I went outside and turned off the main. I then ended up cutting out a big section of wall because the meth addicts that owned the place before him had apparently come up short on wire and had spliced in about 2 feet of old aluminum 1960s trailer house wire.

I am guessing that when referring to the pair of you, you are known as 'the smart one'

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

context - someone bragged about having met their spouse on a cwc-themed forum:

whoflungpoop posted:

My grandparents had a trunk full of the letters they exchanged while my grandfather was fighting in north africa and sicily in WWII.

My grandma wrote him about how my aunt had started walking and later the first words she spoke, about how she was working as a seamstress to bring in extra money, about the trades she made with various neighbors to make the rations go further, about how his mother was doing. My grandpa wrote her asking for more pictures of my aunt, about some of the guys in his unit, how the british officers at the camp they traveled to actually had a kitchen and hot food and how he had eaten roast and potatoes on a real plate with real silverware at a real table and how happy it made him to have a real meal after so many months of rations, about how much he missed her.

The letters to him were partially waterlogged and torn from being carried around two continents; the letters to her sometimes had parts literally cut out where he might have mentioned a location or something else the army censor wanted removed. They're amazing and they make me so proud of my grandparents, of the hardships they endured and the love and partnership they maintained across half a war-torn planet.

Your grandchildren will find a thumb drive full of forums posts of their grandparents insulting a retarded man.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
terrible steam games thread discusses a terrible game (I included the second post there to give you an idea of what kind of game it is without clicking the link - which is probably :nws: btw)

Largepotato posted:

This is currently on the front page new and trending releases list.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/705280/Hakoniwa_Explorer_Plus/

:yikes:

Light Gun Man posted:

OK so a friend of mine gifted this to me and...it's actually pretty fun? And kinda funny? Like yes half the bosses are giant monster women that attack you with their rear end but...I dunno, I'm having fun.

There's actually an entire partially rear end-based morality system if you can believe that. The store page says you can touch the one girl's butt but the truth is you can actually touch almost any NPC butt. Even cats and dogs. Even the developer of the game. And all these NPCs have unique dialog about it. Sometimes you do this on accident, because they'll turn around while you're trying to talk to them. The more butts you touch the more of a bad reputation you get. Stores might stop selling you items and stuff. NPC dialog will change, people will start telling you to go die in the desert and stuff. Some NPCs might even straight up start a fight with you in town about it. Oh yeah, you can also accidentally or purposefully attack any NPC. There's achievements for killing the developer and musician who did the BGM.

There's an evil version of the school swimsuit girl who catches you in an eternal text loop where she forces you to touch her butt and charges you 1000 money every time. When you run out of money she makes you take a butt touching loan and continues this until you are 10k in butt touchin debt, at which point she fights you.

The game itself is a solid isometric dungeon crawl. Controls were slightly strange but I got used to them pretty quick. The Save menu was weird for me but this may have been a controller config issue, I'm not sure. You talk to people in town to learn about new locations, walk around the world map to find them, then clear them out to advance. You can, for some reason, still attack on the world map, and thus if you want to you can cut down forests and mountains and stuff. All your equipment in the game has a durability meter, so you've got to kind of constantly cycle through items or find repair items to keep using ones you like. There's upgrade tools that will add different effects to them as well. It's pretty well executed, although you'll find yourself wishing you had a bigger inventory a lot. You can increase inventory size by beating bosses. This leads to a pretty frantic kind of gameplay most the time, scrambling to snag an item you want on the screen and equipping it in time. Bringing up the menu does pause things though, thankfully.

tl;dr creator clearly has a thing for touchin butts but it's pretty fun

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, the old 'friend gifted it to me' defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm assuming Light Gun Man is one of the coders.