Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Barbarians really only have Whirlwind as a melee option. They can chunk big guys just fine, but you'll be so bored single target killing large groups.

I think whirlwind is hosed up at the moment, at least online it causes weird desync issues, so look out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Its been a while since I played non-modded D2 so I made a Sorc on USEast Hardcore ladder and it has been surprisingly chill. I am doing a solo-self found run and I am just gonna see how far I can get before I die. Currently I am hybrid life/es using Frozen Orb as my main spell with Firewall + merc to take out cold immunes. Before I go into Hell I am going to switch to full ES, but that is still at least 20 levels away.

Edit - Welp I died to desync in A5 nightmare.

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Frenzy with the right "%chance to cast spell" runeword weapons in each hand works well. You can poo poo out bone spirits, glacial spikes, fireballs, enchants, frozen orbs, molten boulders, etc. on top of decent physical damage.

Those spells look cool but do virtually no damage since you don't have elemental masteries or lower resist or convict aura. But yes, Frenzy is the practically the only Barb Uber build with last wish and beast.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Finally got my Blizz MF sorc up and running on USEast SC Ladder. If anyone needs anything, let me know here so I can hold items for you. Feel free to drop a little wishlist of sorts if you want.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
PC Gamer | A coder spent 1,200 hours reverse-engineering Diablo's source code

Anyone think that this might open the door for some more mods or something?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

PC Gamer | A coder spent 1,200 hours reverse-engineering Diablo's source code

Anyone think that this might open the door for some more mods or something?
Looking through the source, maybe? It's not entirely what it claims to be, but it would be wildly useful for anyone looking to mod the game. Most of the function calls I saw have no parameters and are accessing registers ala asm.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 25, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
OpenTTD, but for Diablo, would be a hell of a thing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

On the topic of Diablo 1 and mods, was the Belzebub HD mod abandoned? I played through it a year or so ago, and I tried picking it up again recently.

I haven't made any real progress on Nightmare difficulty. I've only made it down to the the second floor. I don't know if it's balance issues or what, but you level so slowly, yet enemies are a chore to fight. I tried going to the Butcher's chamber, but he's hasted, so he attacks so fast, you barely have time to get a hit in (disclaimer: this is on a Fighter character, so I don't know if that's an issue).

I checked the website to see if maybe there was a new version, but the most recent version is from 2014.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

On the topic of Diablo 1 and mods, was the Belzebub HD mod abandoned? I played through it a year or so ago, and I tried picking it up again recently.

I believe the more updated one is called "Tchernobog", though I don't know if it's from the same developer.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

Same people. It works just fine, but updates are still slow as molasses. It's incredibly interesting, how they've managed to dredge up the original voice acting found on the discs and implemented them in their intended spots. Or as close as they could get. And opening up new areas in a 3D game doesn't bat an eye, but oh boy, when one of those house doors in good old, pixelated Tristram are suddenly opened, and you can enter an entirely new area... :aaa:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Hell 2 is a lot of fun and still being updated. Tcherno had a big update awhile ago but honestly it broke all my chars and made leveling impossible.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Hell really is the better game experience, but it does not have that "lost levels" feel that Tchernobog has.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

THE BAR posted:

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

Same people. It works just fine, but updates are still slow as molasses. It's incredibly interesting, how they've managed to dredge up the original voice acting found on the discs and implemented them in their intended spots. Or as close as they could get. And opening up new areas in a 3D game doesn't bat an eye, but oh boy, when one of those house doors in good old, pixelated Tristram are suddenly opened, and you can enter an entirely new area... :aaa:

I sort of figured Tchernobog was strictly multiplayer, and seeing it was still just an alpha made me skeptical. I guess I can give it a try, though.

Some of the stuff you mention like the restored voice acting and stuff is in Belzebub. There are some new areas like the inside of the house you mentioned or the outskirts of Tristram that are done using the in-game sprites and graphics (which I imagine was quite a feat). Diablo domain also has some additional bosses you have to contend with before taking him on. Most interesting is that the restored the Map of the Stars, which makes it so that you only have an hour to beat Diablo before he gets super-powerful.

Kazvall posted:

The Hell 2 is a lot of fun and still being updated. Tcherno had a big update awhile ago but honestly it broke all my chars and made leveling impossible.

I haven't heard of The Hell 2 before. What does it do different from Belzebub/Tchernobog? I looked up a video of it real quick, and one nice thing I see about it is that they moved witch lady into the center of town so you don't have to go out of your way to get a magic recharge.

Also, how did Tcherno break the characters? I ask because my issue with Belzebub is how starting on Nightmare makes levelling seem super-slow, and boss enemies seem impossible.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I sort of figured Tchernobog was strictly multiplayer, and seeing it was still just an alpha made me skeptical. I guess I can give it a try, though.

Some of the stuff you mention like the restored voice acting and stuff is in Belzebub. There are some new areas like the inside of the house you mentioned or the outskirts of Tristram that are done using the in-game sprites and graphics (which I imagine was quite a feat). Diablo domain also has some additional bosses you have to contend with before taking him on. Most interesting is that the restored the Map of the Stars, which makes it so that you only have an hour to beat Diablo before he gets super-powerful.

I haven't heard of The Hell 2 before. What does it do different from Belzebub/Tchernobog? I looked up a video of it real quick, and one nice thing I see about it is that they moved witch lady into the center of town so you don't have to go out of your way to get a magic recharge.

You know what? It's been Belzebub I've been playing all along, sorry! :shobon: Yes, Tchernobog's the only one getting updates (supposedly), and it's made for multiplayer, so all of the interesting quest stuff is gone. Whoops.

You could see The Hell as making Diablo more like Diablo 2, really. More monsters, spells, gear and convenience, not much done to the overall plot or anything like that.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I've never played beelzebub as I like multiplayer. But, um.

Tcherno/belz is more like d2 in that it adds classes and abilities for those classes that are more like d2, like necromancer. You gain class skills as you level up, that go along side learning of spells. Tcherno hasn't been updated for at least a year, and is still an alpha. Last patch he fixed some bugs, and added an entire difficulty but somewhere in the tweaking the game became impossible. There was a bug with hydra pets that allowed them to do far too much damage, but honestly my necro can barely touch half the stuff he did before because of it and my other chars also suffered from extreme difficulty spikes that make it a huge slog. I will not be trying it again until it's more complete(this may never happen).

The Hell 2 is as update to The Hell. One main feature is that it has HD resolution support just like Tcherno. So you can play at whatever resolution you like. Otherwise, it adds classes, and new gear and items and enhancements and also has content from the Hellfire expansion. It feels more like D1 than tcherno does. That and it feels more balanced, even though it's hard as gently caress. And he's working on adding quests into multiplayer, which is pretty cool.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kazvall posted:

I've never played beelzebub as I like multiplayer. But, um.

Tcherno/belz is more like d2 in that it adds classes and abilities for those classes that are more like d2, like necromancer. You gain class skills as you level up, that go along side learning of spells. Tcherno hasn't been updated for at least a year, and is still an alpha. Last patch he fixed some bugs, and added an entire difficulty but somewhere in the tweaking the game became impossible. There was a bug with hydra pets that allowed them to do far too much damage, but honestly my necro can barely touch half the stuff he did before because of it and my other chars also suffered from extreme difficulty spikes that make it a huge slog. I will not be trying it again until it's more complete(this may never happen).

The Hell 2 is as update to The Hell. One main feature is that it has HD resolution support just like Tcherno. So you can play at whatever resolution you like. Otherwise, it adds classes, and new gear and items and enhancements and also has content from the Hellfire expansion. It feels more like D1 than tcherno does. That and it feels more balanced, even though it's hard as gently caress. And he's working on adding quests into multiplayer, which is pretty cool.

I'll have to give The Hell 2 a shot, then, since I originally wanted to try Hellfire when first got Diablo installed (I found out it didn't work with Belzebub).

I wasn't really wowed by the new classes in Belzebub (of course, I didn't really mess around with them that much, so maybe they're better than I think), but what you describe about Tcherno sounds about on par with my experience with Belzebub on Nightmare difficulty. It's like the game suddenly shoots up in difficulty, and you need to grind for levels or know some sort of exploits in order to make progress.

Do you need to have Hellfire installed for The Hell 2, or is it Hellfire content included as part of the mod?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 28, 2018

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think all you need is the diabdat.mpq from the diablo 1 install. Hellfire is built into the mod. It also has full multiplayer support. We should all play sometime. Have always wanted to try a monk. They can block with a 2h staff and hit multiple targets at once.

E: Looks like they dont host a site anymore, look on modbd for the latest The Hell 2 stuff. Keep in mind that TH2 is not complete yet, but does incorporate the content from TH1 and is fully playable. I think mostly all that's missing is full quest support in multiplayer and some balance issues. You'll need to edit the cfg file for the resolution of your choice. There's other options as well that you'll see.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 28, 2018

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://gitlab.com/whist/MXLS/milestones/1

So close to Median XL Sigma!!!!

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Path of Diablo has a ladder reset dropping today as well.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Finally completed my Tal's set on the new ladder. But I'm most happy with the 4x Ist runed(+100%MF) shield. Rational people would have made a Spirit out of that shield, but I'm far too greedy to leave that much MF on the table. :coolfish:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Seamonster posted:

Those spells look cool but do virtually no damage since you don't have elemental masteries or lower resist or convict aura. But yes, Frenzy is the practically the only Barb Uber build with last wish and beast.

On my self-found frenzy barb I used Oath and Voice of Reason RWs on my weps. Both of them use mid runes that you can actually expect to find yourself. The super late game RWs are far better but you absolutely have to farm forever or trade to get them.

Oath has a fat +% dmg mod, 50% IAS, and grants indestructible so you can make it in an eth 2h sword. The bone spirits look cool and help plink away phys immunes but it is a great investment for Mal + trash runes.

Voice of Reason does pretty poo poo damage but the frozen orb and ice blast CTC helps a lot to slow down or stop enemies from killing you. It has has cannot be frozen which frees up a bunch of other item slots since you don't need to find that somewhere else. If you could use frenzy with a shield I'd do that instead, but it makes a great defensive offhand.

Never run a late game melee character without Cannot Be Frozen. The slow absolutely ruins your damage, and by proxy your life leech sustain.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yes, thankfully rfrost takes care of that for you (which should be used for AR anyways)

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Not to mention 20% cold absorb, which is a flat mod and never rolls lower than that.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
You get to the arcane sanctuary. You pick NE as the first direction to go. Horazon tells you SW is an incorrect path to the symbols. Wizards can't lie about their crib, so you trust him.

Do you:

A. Stick with NE
B. Choose NW
C. Choose SE

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

captain innocuous posted:

You get to the arcane sanctuary. You pick NE as the first direction to go. Horazon tells you SW is an incorrect path to the symbols. Wizards can't lie about their crib, so you trust him.

Do you:

A. Stick with NE
B. Choose NW
C. Choose SE

D. Get sorc to tele while you wait in town

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
E. 4th way regardless because Diablo 2 :argh:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Guys I have a problem that apparently 80k other people have, where I keep listening to the Diablo II OST. It's so loving good.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah but just the menu for me, thx.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

captain innocuous posted:

Do you:

A. Stick with NE
B. Choose NW
C. Choose SE
Load up d2mr.exe and go to the end that looks different than the other three.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
seeing as theyres no diablo 1 thread FOR SOME REASON, what patch should i install, i have an old jewel case copy unplayed

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Relin posted:

seeing as theyres no diablo 1 thread FOR SOME REASON, what patch should i install, i have an old jewel case copy unplayed

If you're looking to just patch the game up to 1.09, you can download it from Blizzard's website via this page (https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7836)

If you're looking to set the game up it with widescreen support alone, I was pointed towards this patch: http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/projects/1-diablo-1-windows-7-vista-patch

If you're looking for mods, the one that I played the most was Belzebub (https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/). That adds widescreen support, along with a bunch of QoL fixes. It also adds a bunch of news quests and areas, which are interesting, but there's no way to toggle them off, and some of them are pretty difficult.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 1, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Thanks, I installed the 1.09 patch and Belzebub. They should probably mention you have to run as admin to actually save the game somewhere right at the forefront, but lucky for me, that's the first thing I check whenever I play a new game.

i suppose my first diablo 1 experience will be as a necromancer

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Seamonster posted:

Yeah but just the menu for me, thx.

That LoD menu tune. Doooo, dooooo doooo, DUNT DUNT.

Relin posted:

I bought Diablo 1 for the original Playstation when the PS3 was new (with backwards compatibility and it upscaled PS1 games for HD) and had a fun nostalgia blast with my brother. The shared screen co-op play is a little wonky but reminds me of Gauntlet or other arcade games of that type. Not worth buying an OG PS3 just for that, but if you already have one and like Diablo go snag a copy of the game on ebay and get a friend. The controls and shared screen make it a reasonable challenge to just beat Normal difficulty.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

What does it mean in D1 when things in the spell book say x magic to level up? Gaining points in magic doesn't seem to change the value.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Iirc the number is how much magic you need to have in total, not how much magic you still need to get.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Relin posted:

What does it mean in D1 when things in the spell book say x magic to level up? Gaining points in magic doesn't seem to change the value.

The spellbook requires that much magic to use.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cerepol posted:

Guys I have a problem that apparently 80k other people have, where I keep listening to the Diablo II OST. It's so loving good.

:discourse: My favorite piece never even made it into the drat game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtR6l30UqU

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

LLCoolJD posted:

:discourse: My favorite piece never even made it into the drat game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtR6l30UqU

Wow, amazing. I don't think I've ever heard this before.

I've been playing some Path of Diablo lately and it's really good. They have a server network with locations all around the world and up to 2k users at peak. The mod itself plays very similar to vanilla, some QoL changes like inventory and stash size, and some skill re-balances to make more builds viable. It's not like Eastern Sun, which I also liked but I felt like I had to learn an entirely new game.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Devonaut posted:

I've been playing some Path of Diablo lately and it's really good. They have a server network with locations all around the world and up to 2k users at peak. The mod itself plays very similar to vanilla, some QoL changes like inventory and stash size, and some skill re-balances to make more builds viable. It's not like Eastern Sun, which I also liked but I felt like I had to learn an entirely new game.

Do the changes give it a better leveling experience or is it still about mostly the end game? I was looking to scratch the d2 itch recently and went with slashdiablo, but if Path has interesting changes I might try it out also. I have to admit multibox and maphack are things I enjoy even though many people list those as negatives to slash when comparing to path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

mirror123 posted:

Do the changes give it a better leveling experience or is it still about mostly the end game? I was looking to scratch the d2 itch recently and went with slashdiablo, but if Path has interesting changes I might try it out also. I have to admit multibox and maphack are things I enjoy even though many people list those as negatives to slash when comparing to path.

The skill changes are interesting and more sensible than ES', and there's not a million convoluted systems you need to figure out, but I sorely miss the enhanced stash space and better drop chance for fancy loot.

Anyone else still playing Path in here? I've been trying to level a supporty tanky paladin, mid-40 right now, but I think I made a huge mistake using Prayer and there's a bit too few people online for me to be actually useful.