Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know people who have done six-figure moves through Knightsbridge from a number of currencies, and they all seemed to be happy with rates and service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks, I'll look into those two. Currently it's sitting in an account in PLN in Poland.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

HookShot posted:

Yeah, but the NSF fee says it was for a bounced PayPal payment.

Unless there's a way to do it I don't know about? I don't keep up enormously with a lot of banking stuff anymore. But yeah, I'm going to have to find the time to call them, because that's super dumb.

Please let us know if their support helps you out. My spouse is looking to go to Tangerine, but I and many others seem to be having a bunch of problems lately... I'm wondering if the honeymoon is over.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Bank loyalty is for chumps. If Tangerine ain’t getting the job done, abandon ship.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ditched Tangerine back to my first ever bank RBC after ditching them a while back.

Never been happier for my banking needs.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Wirth1000 posted:

Ditched Tangerine back to my first ever bank RBC after ditching them a while back.

Never been happier for my banking needs.

Why are they better?

I’m increasingly dissatisfied with Tangerine so might take a similar approach.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Lexicon posted:

Why are they better?

My biggest thing has always been the customer service experience. I know I've read and heard horror stories about RBC's customer service but in my own personal experience I have always had exquisite service. Like NSF fees being completely reversed, being able to walk into an actual physical bank in order to take care of issues especially with card replacement...

Scotia was the worst for this since whenever I'd call and make an appointment at the branch, I'd show up and they'd have no record of this call. One time they just blatantly admitted that there really was zero communication between the call centre booking appointments for a branch and the branch receiving the information.

Tangerine when I switched I received a card without a working tap. I called and the customer service rep's solution was to send me a new card... sure, of course. That's expected. Except she said that she would have to disable my current and only card in the meantime and I'd be without a card in that entire duration. No loving thanks. Fortunately, this was a widespread issue (even though the customer service rep I spoke to said it wasn't) which Tangerine acknowledged in a letter and I received a new card in the mail while my current card worked fine in the meantime. Funny that.

I don't carry any physical cash on me so my day-to-day banking is done entirely through plastic so having a working card is pretty crucial and, in the event of the card being lost or damaged, just having access to a physical branch is pretty important for me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jenkl posted:

Please let us know if their support helps you out. My spouse is looking to go to Tangerine, but I and many others seem to be having a bunch of problems lately... I'm wondering if the honeymoon is over.

Yeah, I'll let you know for sure. I'm not impressed right now, I'll tell you that.

Honestly, I've been more and more "eh" than usual about them since that stupid new layout. Normally I'd probably be too lazy to actually change, but if they don't refund me that fee I'm going actively look to put my savings in a different bank. I don't use Tangerine for any of my day-to-day stuff so what do I care.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'll let you know for sure. I'm not impressed right now, I'll tell you that.

Honestly, I've been more and more "eh" than usual about them since that stupid new layout. Normally I'd probably be too lazy to actually change, but if they don't refund me that fee I'm going actively look to put my savings in a different bank. I don't use Tangerine for any of my day-to-day stuff so what do I care.

They did refund me the fees for my issue, but they gave me attitude and were all like "we want to stress this is technically Interac's fault and we're being super nice by refunding this, we're totes courteous ok?!? You'll have to call them next time." If I have another issue with an e-transfer I'm closing the account immediately.

There are two reasons I want to stay with them: I've saved like two hundred in fees/bonuses over the last year and a half, and I like their credit card. I find it easier to have my primary credit card at the same place I do chequing, but unreliable e-transfers and slow, sassy service will be deal breakers before long.

I also keep my scotia account active for any real banking I need to do. I can't comment on their service: in over a decade of using them, I'd literally never needed service. From this and my focus on low fees, you can imagine my banking needs are fairly straight forward.

Hacks aside, is Simplii any good? They're the only competitor in that space, right? Or am I just baiting more trouble by cheaping out on fees...?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been wih PC Financial / Simplii for years and never had a problem with them. Paying bank fees seems crazy to me.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Lexicon posted:

Why are they better?

I moved from Tangerine to TD a few years ago and am very happy with the decision.

I mainly did it because I became self-employed and needed a business bank account and I wanted my personal and business with the same bank to easily transfer back and forth. But personally, I have the All-Inclusive where the 29.95 fee is waived because I keep 5K on account. For that, I get unlimited transactions, free Interac e-transfers, free cheques, drafts, etc. It comes with a free safety deposit box but it's hard to find one. I get the annual fee waived on the Infinite cash back card (3% on groceries, gas, recurring bill payments) and the card comes with free road-side assistance. In addition, I get the cross border USD account for $1.95 per month instead of 4.95 per month and the annual fee on the TD USD Visa is waived.

For me, the perks trump the opportunity cost lost on the 5K.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 16, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also TD forced me to enable two-step authentication when I logged in today.

To answer the question I had about people without cell phones, they can send your authorization via landline. I can't wait until the first time I'm overseas with a different phone number and can't log in to my own loving online banking.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

HookShot posted:

To answer the question I had about people without cell phones, they can send your authorization via landline. I can't wait until the first time I'm overseas with a different phone number and can't log in to my own loving online banking.

Banks already let you set travel notices, no? I wonder if they had the foresight to allow temporary disabling of 2FA, and connect it to a travel notice (spoiler: I doubt it).

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

HookShot posted:

Most people have been clamouring for two factor authentication with the Big 5 for years. You are the first I have seen to complain about it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

2FA isn’t that effective if they’re using SMS. It’s pretty easy to get around with SS7 or SIM swapping attacks.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Evis posted:

2FA isn’t that effective if they’re using SMS. It’s pretty easy to get around with SS7 or SIM swapping attacks.

Its a lot more loving effective than a single factor that is a string of six digits

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Lexicon posted:

Its a lot more loving effective than a single factor that is a string of six digits

Don't forget the picture!!!!!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Don't forget the picture!!!!!

BMO doesn’t even have that :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone know if the new HSBC app let's you use fingerprint detection on Android?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jenkl posted:

Banks already let you set travel notices, no? I wonder if they had the foresight to allow temporary disabling of 2FA, and connect it to a travel notice (spoiler: I doubt it).

Kal Torak posted:

Most people have been clamouring for two factor authentication with the Big 5 for years. You are the first I have seen to complain about it.
As someone who travels out of the country frequently, it will actually inconvenince me a lot if they don't have temporary 2FA disabling, and as Jenkl pointed out, I doubt they do.

I haven't had my TD account hacked in the 12 years I've had online banking with SFA, I'm happy to keep going with that if it means not having to spend an hour on the phone with them a few times a year (and invariably have them try to sign me up for poo poo I don't want).

And if they can't disable it, then what am I supposed to do the next time I go to New Zealand for six weeks? Not pay my bills at all because I can't access my account?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HookShot posted:

As someone who travels out of the country frequently, it will actually inconvenince me a lot if they don't have temporary 2FA disabling, and as Jenkl pointed out, I doubt they do.

[...]

And if they can't disable it, then what am I supposed to do the next time I go to New Zealand for six weeks? Not pay my bills at all because I can't access my account?

Or just plug your Canadian SIM card in. Do you have to do the 2FA auth every log in, or can you save a device for a while?

You could also just overpay your bills in advance if you have a bit of a float. (None of that 0.23 in chequing stuff!)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lexicon posted:

This is absolutely true. I’m glad they’re moving forward with a system like this, I just wish they’d do it well.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Evis posted:

This is absolutely true. I’m glad they’re moving forward with a system like this, I just wish they’d do it well.

“Well” isn’t an option with Canadian banks alas. I’ll be happy with early-2000s state-of-the-art.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
What's the ideal authentication system out there? I enabled 2 step with TD with the option of only requiring a 2nd step when a new device tries to connect. I feel like this is adequate but maybe I'm being naive.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anybody have experience with Manulife for investing? My wife's work has their RRSPs with Manulife and since she gets contribution matching up to 4% it makes sense to use it, but looking at the funds they offer, they universally look like poo poo.

I tried looking for "index" but zero results from the few hundred funds they list online on their fund page. Everything I've looked at is in the 2%+ MER range even their ETF's, which I'm not sure she can set to automatically purchase in this account, have MER's of ~0.5%.

With no allocation the plan defaults to some unknown default fund. The match plus a crappy fund is better than not taking the match, but you know, we want to minimize the MER and stick to index-like funds

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have the same and just pick the cheapest US equity index fund and suck it up.

However, my plan does let me transfer MY part of the contribution out to an external RRSP account once per year. This used to be a big hassle but can now be done online pretty easily.

I do it every now and then. Not quite annually, but certainly before my balance available to transfer gets much larger than 10k or so.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It takes a long time before the fees paid to the broker outweigh the matching. I just accept it and have been trying to convince my employer to find a better option.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Evis posted:

It takes a long time before the fees paid to the broker outweigh the matching. I just accept it and have been trying to convince my employer to find a better option.

I did this calc when I started at my job, and actually almost hit the "no match better" category, at least on a chunk of it (scaling match rate). Wouldn't have lasted that long, but it taught me it's worth doing the calculations - and I'd add my fees were under 1%. It may be worth taking the time to do this, Bajaha, especially at 2%+.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'll check the number a little later, but this is 1:1 matching up to 4% of salary, so even with the crappy MERs the instant 100% return should be enough to outweigh a crappier MER. I'll see if I can find some info on pulling her contributions out to a different provider annually, there's no vesting period from what I can tell on the match. I know with her previous Investors group RRSP (bunch of shameless crooks, huge bull market and they managed to lose her money some years) when we closed the account there was a $50ish transfer fee to TD. Her paperwork is poorly xeroxed pamphlet with zero useful info and the 'advisors' who came to her work to present it strongly pushed the 'this is complicated and you really don't want to set your own allocation' narrative. I'll have to call them tomorrow as their online resources suck. At least on a PC I can compare and order by MER, on my phone it was a nightmare. I like the idea of just going all in to a US equity fund and diversifying in our other investment accounts.

Also, anybody can explain the differences between F, FT, DCA, and other cryptic letters describing the same fund under different fund codes. DCA looks to be Dollar Cost Averaging, and FT maybe Floor Trader? But there's nothing really explaining how they differ and those explanations I found by looking around investopedia. The funds I'm looking at now are $500 initial investment and $25 PAC (auto purchase / deposit I assume), they've got some low MER offerings it turns out but they're minimum $100,000 investments, seeing as she just started the job those aren't going to be an option.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I asked this question months ago, but things have progressed and I'll ask it again:

CBC had an article a while back about a guy who was refused a domestic bank transfer and was sent a bank draft by courier... and was lost. The bank refused for almost a year to release the funds, and while checking the details for this post I found another story that was basically the same situation.

I don't want to risk that. What is the best way to receive a large inheritance payout?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wire transfer?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

wire transfer is best (instant), but there's fees at both ends (sender and receiver) for a total of around $100.

draft is 2nd but has the issues you mentioned.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ Home Trust just seems shady as hell. Got a new CC a couple months ago, realized I have yet to receive a statement so I call them. Guy on the phone says they mail them out on the 8th of every month (bullshit - I'd have it by now) but I can sign up on their website for access to current info.

Go to their website and it redirects me to this shady as gently caress URL

code:
https://www.ezcardinfo.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fb%3dhometrust&b=hometrust#/Enrollment
Sigh - is there a better foreign exchange card out there? I'm not against just closing this.

Also, is there a way with Equifax/Trans Union to freeze your credit info unless you unlock it? This latest round of data breeches has made me realize I so rarely need to open credit, I might as well close it to help mitigate some ID theft risk.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The Fido MC with the new changes is still a net positive reward of 0.5% for foreign purchases and they're at least not shady as hell. You do get dinged the forex fee if you return stuff though.

Still looking for something better too but I haven't seen anything yet.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ Home Trust just seems shady as hell. Got a new CC a couple months ago, realized I have yet to receive a statement so I call them. Guy on the phone says they mail them out on the 8th of every month (bullshit - I'd have it by now) but I can sign up on their website for access to current info.

Go to their website and it redirects me to this shady as gently caress URL

code:
https://www.ezcardinfo.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fb%3dhometrust&b=hometrust#/Enrollment
Sigh - is there a better foreign exchange card out there? I'm not against just closing this.

Also, is there a way with Equifax/Trans Union to freeze your credit info unless you unlock it? This latest round of data breeches has made me realize I so rarely need to open credit, I might as well close it to help mitigate some ID theft risk.

That's a strange URL, but it also looks like it's used by a couple credit card issuers so it's probably legit? There hasn't been any other Free No Forex cards pop up yet except that Fido Mastercard with the cash back and that Brim card which is allegedly a nightmare to get signed up for.

Has anyone tried using PayTM yet? It's an app where you can make bill payments with your credit card where you normally couldn't so you can earn rewards on your CC, they have a point system too. Some people on Red Flag Deals are paying their property taxes and mortgages with it right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, I suspect it's legit too it just looks shady/lazy/fly-by-nite as hell. Could you imagine RBC or CIBC (or heck, simplii for that matter) referring people to "EZCARDINFO.COM" for all their online banking? :sigh:

That and their no changing PINs is just absurd.

Anyone have insite on freezing your credit report in Canada? From what I understand it's easily done in the US but not here..?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I’ve read it’s impossible here.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I suspect it's legit too it just looks shady/lazy/fly-by-nite as hell. Could you imagine RBC or CIBC (or heck, simplii for that matter) referring people to "EZCARDINFO.COM" for all their online banking? :sigh:

That and their no changing PINs is just absurd.

Anyone have insite on freezing your credit report in Canada? From what I understand it's easily done in the US but not here..?

Most people wouldn't even notice the domain name. :ssh:

As for freezing credit, there's no such thing in Canada. I had the same reasoning back when the whole Equifax clusterfuck happened last year. In trying to figure out my credit situation, I realised it's all fragmented as gently caress in their systems and I'm not about to do their job cleaning up behind them. In the event my identity does get stolen, there's gently caress all to be done about it with current tools, so no point trying.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bajaha posted:

Also, anybody can explain the differences between F, FT, DCA, and other cryptic letters describing the same fund under different fund codes. DCA looks to be Dollar Cost Averaging, and FT maybe Floor Trader? But there's nothing really explaining how they differ

Found a few more things online to help explain this. Mutual fund series are a huge mess and the only thing that is standardized is the 'F' Series funds, which just means it's a fee based fund through a full service broker. All the other letters of the alphabet are up for grabs and nobody has any standards. With Manulife, D series are the discount ones for DIY investers, but are only available through their discount broker or if you're account is eligible. Since my wifes isn't up yet I don't know if it's eligible. There's also T series which is tax advantaged as in it pays out any capital gains each month as they're taxed differently, and FT is some bastardization of the two types.

There's a whole slew of other letter series but I haven't figured them out.

Thanks James Baud, we'll be going with your investing strategy for crappy workplace RRSPs and picked the F series US equity fund that has an MER of 1.24% that seems to be tracking the S&P 500 index.

Hopefully once the account is setup I can call and figure out if transferring out is a possibility. The documentation my wife has has no mention of a vesting period for the company match so why knows how that's treated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Jenkl posted:

I did this calc when I started at my job, and actually almost hit the "no match better" category, at least on a chunk of it (scaling match rate). Wouldn't have lasted that long, but it taught me it's worth doing the calculations - and I'd add my fees were under 1%. It may be worth taking the time to do this, Bajaha, especially at 2%+.

Because you mentioned this, I just made up a spreadsheet for my case which indicated the fees would have to be at about 4% before it would be better to not take the match in my case.