Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The one thing that isn't landing for me at all in this game, is making it a pain in the butt to get a map for a new area. Sure, it's a relief when you find him, but it's just needlessly annoying in the meantime. He was the last thing I found in green path and I feel like I spent 3 times as long in there as I needed to. Also, for that reason I realized I can't play this game with the sound off/low until I find a map because it's way too easy to miss him unless you hear the singing.

Game could really use some more stag stations too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There is a back-up option for obtaining the map if you can't find organically: his wife has a store in Dirtmouth. I don't know what exactly triggers it, but if you've done sufficient exploring in a new area, maybe had a plot event happen, the map for that area will be available there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah, that's good at least. I've checked there but I guess I haven't triggered necessary events or something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

The one thing that isn't landing for me at all in this game, is making it a pain in the butt to get a map for a new area. Sure, it's a relief when you find him, but it's just needlessly annoying in the meantime. He was the last thing I found in green path and I feel like I spent 3 times as long in there as I needed to. Also, for that reason I realized I can't play this game with the sound off/low until I find a map because it's way too easy to miss him unless you hear the singing.

Imo it's really cool that each new area requires that you rely on your own sense of direction for a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

As you get more movement abilities you'll find lots of shortcuts going from one area to another. The game also likes to do the thing of connecting two areas via a shortcut that can only be unlocked from one side, especially with those false walls that can only be broken from one end.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Game is so loving massive, at least on a first trip through. I’m sure it starts to feel smaller on subsequent play throughs. Every time I think I’m close to the end, a whole new world unlocks to explore.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

An enormous amount of areas and bosses are skippable for people intentionally trying to do a minimal run, though for a first timer you'll find most of them by exploring normally.

It's totally possible to get an ending without ever hitting the east side of the map and related areas, though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm complaining about Path of Pain because "complain about it on the internet" is apparently the best way to get past hard sections of games. (The first sections weren't bad but this spike-rear end hallway is a bitch)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think I've gotten most of the movement items and I've upgraded two of my spells and have two upgrades on my Nail, so I'm feeling pretty baller. On the other hand, :gonk:.

I suppose I could keep exploring, but all the new areas I find are horrifying or filled with very large, very rude bugs. Also very explodey bugs.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 19, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm complaining about Path of Pain because "complain about it on the internet" is apparently the best way to get past hard sections of games. (The first sections weren't bad but this spike-rear end hallway is a bitch)

:toot:

ahahahha that one last gently caress you of dropping directly into a pair of kingmoulds

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still need to do Path of Pain, along with pretty much all of the content update material.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The last segment of Path of Pain is so absurd but at the same time, you feel like such a boss if you do it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo it's really cool that each new area requires that you rely on your own sense of direction for a while.

Yeah, I get what they were going for. It's honestly annoying me way less now that I have enough upgrades to move around at a decent pace. Finding map dude after running around the entirety of green path 10 times really soured me on the concept, which was in part due to me playing with the sound off. But I've found him without any issues since, and being able to wall jump and dash just makes the game so much more navigable, I can sort of appreciate it now. I must have spent 2+ hours completely lost in that area though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's cool I think I did a lot of the first area

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a non-spoiler reason why literally everyone down there apart from like 3 people, want to murder you?I mean they're living their lives down there and having a society and all, and they all want you dead.

p.s. I played this like 6 months ago, forgot everything, and picked up where I left off, like 4-6 areas in so can't remember any plot stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:toot:

ahahahha that one last gently caress you of dropping directly into a pair of kingmoulds
I know right? :allears:

redreader posted:

Is there a non-spoiler reason why literally everyone down there apart from like 3 people, want to murder you?I mean they're living their lives down there and having a society and all, and they all want you dead.

p.s. I played this like 6 months ago, forgot everything, and picked up where I left off, like 4-6 areas in so can't remember any plot stuff.

they're not

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Some of them are. The mantis civilization is just jerks who don’t like outsiders, for example.

But yeah mostly there’s something else going on.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

When you first meet him the Elderbug talks about people losing their minds down there.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Having a lot of fun with this on the Switch. I'm having trouble with Hornet though. I'm not great at actiony games but got past the first two bosses without too many issues.

I can't seem to get a handle on her tells, and she's really quick.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

redreader posted:

Open up the Hunter's Journal and read some of the bestiary entries for the "humanoid" enemies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you play Hollow Knight with the sound off you're missing out on the music

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For real, this game has one of the best soundtracks not just of games in recent memory but period.

But even with the sound off (:() it shouldn't be that hard to find Cornifer. He leaves a trail of paper that really stands out, he's pretty much always near the main/"intended" entrance of an area and if you just explore around you instead of just running in one direction until you get lost then you shouldn't have any problems finding him.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Having a lot of fun with this on the Switch. I'm having trouble with Hornet though. I'm not great at actiony games but got past the first two bosses without too many issues.

I can't seem to get a handle on her tells, and she's really quick.

when on the ground, hornet has got three moves: a charge, a weapon throw that boomerangs back to her and a weird string-thwirling attack that hits all around her. each of them has a different visual cue (she stands upright and holds her spear like a javelin when she's about to throw it, for example). she also shouts whenever she's readying an attack.

her jumps come out quicker, as i'm sure you've already noticed, but she always stays airborne a little while before committing to an attack, so the fast jumps are only a problem if she physically bumps into you on her way up. you shouldn't be spending a lot of time directly above her when she's not stuck in a grounded attack animation, is what i'm trying to say here.

when in the air, hornet can either transition into a lunging dive attack or an aerial version of her string thwirl. in the former case, she'll suddenly stop in midair before shooting off directly towards you. in the latter, she'll complete most of her jump and attack towards the end of her jump arc. you'll want to stay a little distance away from her so you can react, but be careful if you've got your back against a wall; she might jump directly in front of you and thwirl, leaving you with no room to dodge. if you're in a corner and see her jumping towards you in an arc, consider walking under her while she's airborne.

note that hornet's ground attacks have limited horizontal reach, while her aerial ones can hit you from anywhere in the room. this means you can back up and sneak in a heal as long as she stays grounded, but you gotta watch out for her jumps if you try.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I can’t imagine playing hollow knight without sound. Besides stuff like missing cornifer, I can’t imagine not having the themes or character sounds. There are people who go to the map store and don’t get the exasperated Ba Pa Nada? Or the dependent ambience? Sound and music is a tremendous strength of the game, it adds so much to its character I feel.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Regy Rusty posted:

If you play Hollow Knight with the sound off you're missing out on the music

Not to mention whatever the hell Dung Defender is saying. What a treat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if you don't play with sound you can't hear how adorable Myla is

aaand just like that I made myself sad :smith:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

veni veni veni posted:

, which was in part due to me playing with the sound off.

lol

I think that's a pretty big part of it

redreader posted:

The story doesn't really start coming together until the end of the game- and even then you need to go for the 'real' ending to really start getting the full story. Until then you're just going to get a trickle of hints of what's going on and if you're only a few areas in you probably haven't missed that much yet.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 19, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I know everyone else is saying this but it really needs to be emphasized that you should play this game with sound on. It's not quite like playing Portal for the first time with sound off (I had a friend who did this and then didn't get why everyone loved the game) but you're missing out on a huge chunk of the atmosphere and gameplay elements that lean on it.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

when on the ground, hornet has got three moves: a charge, a weapon throw that boomerangs back to her and a weird string-thwirling attack that hits all around her. each of them has a different visual cue (she stands upright and holds her spear like a javelin when she's about to throw it, for example). she also shouts whenever she's readying an attack.

her jumps come out quicker, as i'm sure you've already noticed, but she always stays airborne a little while before committing to an attack, so the fast jumps are only a problem if she physically bumps into you on her way up. you shouldn't be spending a lot of time directly above her when she's not stuck in a grounded attack animation, is what i'm trying to say here.

when in the air, hornet can either transition into a lunging dive attack or an aerial version of her string thwirl. in the former case, she'll suddenly stop in midair before shooting off directly towards you. in the latter, she'll complete most of her jump and attack towards the end of her jump arc. you'll want to stay a little distance away from her so you can react, but be careful if you've got your back against a wall; she might jump directly in front of you and thwirl, leaving you with no room to dodge. if you're in a corner and see her jumping towards you in an arc, consider walking under her while she's airborne.

note that hornet's ground attacks have limited horizontal reach, while her aerial ones can hit you from anywhere in the room. this means you can back up and sneak in a heal as long as she stays grounded, but you gotta watch out for her jumps if you try.

Thanks! Managed to beat her on the third try this morning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've played like 75% with the sound on but I'm not gonna crank it up or put my headphones on while I'm hanging out with other people who are watching TV. I've mostly been playing with a nice set of headphones it's not like I'm missing out on the sound entirely.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
Listening to the Grubfather throw a load of money at me always puts a smile on my face.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Man, I'm trying to really flesh this game out and it's just sad, sad, sad. Even when something seems to be proceeding in a good way, it ends in poo poo. There's been exactly one moment that's heartwarming so far, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

when you discover all of the stag paths and visit Stag's Nest, and you see the freshly-hatched stag egg, "The Last Stag" is renamed to "Old Stag" and no longer worries that he may be the last of his kind. I'm fully expecting to run into that baby stag as a boss, or perhaps just another random enemy I've cut down without realizing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So dream gate eats essence out of your dream nail, looks like I have 1796 essence. Whoops! Looks like I have to go do another thing.

e; Can someone give me a hint for this last caterpillar I haven't been able to get?
I guess it is in the hive? I can't seem to find a path down from the kingdom edge, and there doesn't appear to be any hidden walls in the hive. I tried using the ZL charge from the top of the wall and I see a chasm dropping down, but I can't seem to find a way up into that area. Was there a platform there that made getting into that chasm easy that was destroyed by one of the big bouncing fuckers that I didn't see? I left after giving up for a while to do other things and haven't made time to go back, but am assuming a platform got destroyed.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 19, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with the update that added dream gate they made it so occasionally you get little scraps of essence from killing enemies so don't fret it too much. i think there's plenty sources of essence in the game to easily make any milestones you want to meet anyways.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nephzinho posted:

So dream gate eats essence out of your dream nail, looks like I have 1796 essence. Whoops! Looks like I have to go do another thing.

e; Can someone give me a hint for this last caterpillar I haven't been able to get?
I guess it is in the hive? I can't seem to find a path down from the kingdom edge, and there doesn't appear to be any hidden walls in the hive. I tried using the ZL charge from the top of the wall and I see a chasm dropping down, but I can't seem to find a way up into that area. Was there a platform there that made getting into that chasm easy that was destroyed by one of the big bouncing fuckers that I didn't see? I left after giving up for a while to do other things and haven't made time to go back, but am assuming a platform got destroyed.

You've pretty much got it -- you need to ZL charge from that wall, cancel it in midair when you're underneath the hole in the ceiling, and double jump up into it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

enojy posted:

You've pretty much got it -- you need to ZL charge from that wall, cancel it in midair when you're underneath the hole in the ceiling, and double jump up into it.

Haha, I am slapping myself in the face for spending the better part of an hour here luring bees over so I could bounce off of them. This is much easier!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I loved that. I felt so smug like "didn't expect me to just do this, did you game? :smug:" but then it turned out that was literally the intended solution. :downs:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there an upgrade that lets you dash vertically? I've seen a bunch of places just slightly out of reach and I have no idea how else I'd access them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankston posted:

Is there an upgrade that lets you dash vertically? I've seen a bunch of places just slightly out of reach and I have no idea how else I'd access them.

There’s a double jump later on in the game. Google it’s location if you don’t care about such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

There’s a double jump later on in the game. Google it’s location if you don’t care about such things.

Thanks! I just wanted to see if such a thing existed or if those areas were supposed to be accessed from somewhere else.