Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

There would be absolutely none. Orbital speeds do not gently caress around.

The shooting stars you wish upon are the dead disintegrating in our atmosphere.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh I know. It's really really really funny when you point this out

WE LOVE YOU FRUITY RUDY!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm not gay at all. That dude was gorgeous.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hoo boy

http://www.newsweek.com/texas-deputy-assaulted-4-year-old-girl-threatened-mother-deportation-she-980667

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not gay at all. That dude was gorgeous.

Honestly I look too much like Rudy to find him attractive.

The HBO Ray Person on the other hand. I saw him first, livestock!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mlmp08 posted:

It's not really a thing he came up with. DOD has been debating it, with much heat, for a couple years.

I tend to think focusing on this distracts from poo poo like the miserable family separation policy.

quote:

"I said, 'maybe we need a new force, we'll call it the Space Force,' and I was not really serious. Then I said, 'what a great idea,' maybe we'll have to do that," Trump told the crowd of Marines.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

"Super aggravated sexual assault of a child" sounds bad

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Which humanitarian crisis were they trying to draw attention from when they first talked about the Space Force last year?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

Which humanitarian crisis were they trying to draw attention from when they first talked about the Space Force last year?

More like first talked about it decades ago.

You know how the president tends to say that "people don't know" something when what he likely means is "I just found out" instead?

I'm betting it was that. Especially given just how much of his military policy so far has been to punt to the pentagon or Mattis, let them decide what they want, and then he approves of it with much fanfare.

This is a very old idea: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a404193.pdf (2002 article about the idea, which also points out that it's an old idea and argues for a separate space force)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mlmp08 posted:

More like first talked about it decades ago.

oh yeah I’m not saying it’s an original idea or anything—even the name—but I just had to point out that quote anyway cause y’know

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The USSF (United States Space Force) Spaceperson Performance Reports (SPRs) will grade our Spacemen/women based on the Hertzsprung-Russell model:

- Fast burners will receive a rating of "Blue Giant" and get kicked out after 5 years with all of their benefits going towards new recruits.
- The rest will stay in "the Force" until their bodies expire or minds are uploaded to the internet (whichever comes first).
- Your rating will determine if you gain or lose points on how big you abdominal circumference is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
"It's like the air force, but no airplanes. Also, you do a lot of IT work" is the worst possible recruitment sales pitch.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

"It's like the air force, but no airplanes. Also, you do a lot of IT work" is the worst possible recruitment sales pitch.

They wouldn't even have the whole "at least you'll get to travel the world!" carrot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Elon Musk posted:

From: Elon Musk
To: Everybody
Subject: Some concerning news
June 17, 2018
11:57 p.m.

I was dismayed to learn this weekend about a Tesla employee who had conducted quite extensive and damaging sabotage to our operations. This included making direct code changes to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System under false usernames and exporting large amounts of highly sensitive Tesla data to unknown third parties.

The full extent of his actions are not yet clear, but what he has admitted to so far is pretty bad. His stated motivation is that he wanted a promotion that he did not receive. In light of these actions, not promoting him was definitely the right move.

However, there may be considerably more to this situation than meets the eye, so the investigation will continue in depth this week.
We need to figure out if he was acting alone or with others at Tesla and if he was working with any outside organizations.

As you know, there are a long list of organizations that want Tesla to die. These include Wall Street short-sellers, who have already lost billions of dollars and stand to lose a lot more. Then there are the oil & gas companies, the wealthiest industry in the world — they don't love the idea of Tesla advancing the progress of solar power & electric cars. Don't want to blow your mind, but rumor has it that those companies are sometimes not super nice. Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they're willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they're willing to cheat in other ways?

Most of the time, when there is theft of goods, leaking of confidential information, dereliction of duty or outright sabotage, the reason really is something simple like wanting to get back at someone within the company or at the company as a whole. Occasionally, it is much more serious.

Please be extremely vigilant, particularly over the next few weeks as we ramp up the production rate to 5k/week. This is when outside forces have the strongest motivation to stop us.

If you know of, see or suspect anything suspicious, please send a note to [email address removed for privacy] with as much info as possible. This can be done in your name, which will be kept confidential, or completely anonymously.

Looking forward to having a great week with you as we charge up the super exciting ramp to 5000 Model 3 cars per week!

Will follow this up with emails every few days describing the progress and challenges of the Model 3 ramp.

Thanks for working so hard to make Tesla successful,
Elon

Ah, the elusive saboteur who Elon doesn't mention firing or facing criminal investigation whatsoever, possibly motivated by short sellers, Big Oil, and the rest of the automotive industry. That's what's knocking the Model 3 off track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, the elusive saboteur who Elon doesn't mention firing or facing criminal investigation whatsoever, possibly motivated by short sellers, Big Oil, and the rest of the automotive industry. That's what's knocking the Model 3 off track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

That new DOOM is really taking a strange turn, but I'm hopeful.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, the elusive saboteur who Elon doesn't mention firing or facing criminal investigation whatsoever, possibly motivated by short sellers, Big Oil, and the rest of the automotive industry. That's what's knocking the Model 3 off track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Jesus christ he's gone completely bonkers

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

That new DOOM is really taking a strange turn, but I'm hopeful.

yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaPDFcc1EWU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Russia's version of 60 minutes (state owned media talkshow) just proudly exclaimed that Crimea belongs to Russia and so does Trump.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can you imagine what kind of disasters comedies are gonna happen if they start letting enlisted into space tho

I love dumb sci fi stories about this and the best one I've seen is where we have been into space, some what established, but the story revolved around a trash collection agency in space that scoops up large debris.

And they gently caress up constantly causing more issues like making a large old satellite into many small pieces that go much faster.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, the elusive saboteur who Elon doesn't mention firing or facing criminal investigation whatsoever, possibly motivated by short sellers, Big Oil, and the rest of the automotive industry. That's what's knocking the Model 3 off track.

The progression to straight up supervillain is fascinating to watch.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

MRC48B posted:

The progression to straight up supervillain is fascinating to watch.

Every evil henchman deserves a chance

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Jesus christ he's gone completely bonkers

https://youtu.be/fxEweP2TiMk

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, the elusive saboteur who Elon doesn't mention firing or facing criminal investigation whatsoever, possibly motivated by short sellers, Big Oil, and the rest of the automotive industry. That's what's knocking the Model 3 off track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Isn't this straight out of the Eastern Bloc dictator handbook? Blame food and fuel shortages on capitalist saboteurs?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remember when people bought into Google's "Don't be evil" shtick? Putting too much trust into tech companies is really dumb.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Reminder that for every argument of "just gotta enforce the law," Jeff Sessions already explicitly singled out a particular bit of border for targeting prosecutions and separating families:

Jeff Sessions posted:

Under the law, we are supposed to prosecute these crimes. Accordingly, I have ordered our prosecutors to pursue 100 percent of the illegal entries on the Southwest border that DHS refers to us.

If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then the Department of Homeland Security will arrest you and the Department of Justice will prosecute you.

What's different about the Southwest border compared with other borders? Hmmm, I just can't put my finger on it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Russia's version of 60 minutes (state owned media talkshow) just proudly exclaimed that Crimea belongs to Russia and so does Trump.

It may not be hard-hitting journalism but I can’t be mad at them for making accurate statements. :-/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Fun thread from the trump thread.

https://twitter.com/ImmCivilRights/status/1008902662828511232

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Yeah, I remember that. Even during that poo poo show, if you showed up with your kids or minors who were your relatives, there wasn't a policy of family separation, so at least that very low bar was something we hurdled back then. We had a holding area for migrant children on post, but I had no interaction with it. When George W Bush did his "zero tolerance" immigration crackdown, they also chose not to impose separation of minors from parents/relatives.

I was talking earlier this year to an engineer officer who was tasked with setting one up, which ultimately was never used, out at JBLM. They were told things like making sure it could be secured from people getting in, protesters, etc, and was generally out of sight so gawkers wouldn't hang around or take a bunch of pictures. He said when they were done setting up the perimeter and construction equipment, they kinda looked at the site and then each other like "holy poo poo, did we just build a kid prison?!"

The post PAO where we housed kids got the stupidest questions all the time, until he started being outright catty/pissed on the post facebook page. A bunch of people posting about how "blah blah how come these kids are getting healthcare, but I have to wait 3 weeks for a doctor's appointment" and people who don't seem to understand how the budget works and thought these kids getting fed food would mean there wouldn't be DFAC food for soldiers or some bullshit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Which humanitarian crisis were they trying to draw attention from when they first talked about the Space Force last year?

Man, a year is so long ago. It's hard to keep up with the crises and scandals. Flynn being a traitor? Employing white supremacists?

The idea of a Space Force is as old as dirt. Given the administration we have now, forgive me for thinking that bringing it up at this point in time seems like trumpeting another iteration of Infrastructure Week.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

More like first talked about it decades ago.

You know how the president tends to say that "people don't know" something when what he likely means is "I just found out" instead?

I'm betting it was that. Especially given just how much of his military policy so far has been to punt to the pentagon or Mattis, let them decide what they want, and then he approves of it with much fanfare.

This is a very old idea: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a404193.pdf (2002 article about the idea, which also points out that it's an old idea and argues for a separate space force)

Hell, there's a set of artwork in the Life magazine archives of a "troop carrying ballistic missile" dating back to the 60s, for that matter.

E: http://images.google.com/hosted/life/6c31fb54b3bf544e.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah iirc they looked into deploying a squad of marines that way

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah iirc they looked into deploying a squad of marines that way

Marines with laser rifles was my favorite part of Moonraker.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Communism Will Win" west point kid got an OTH, appears to be angling for gip sainthood

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah iirc they looked into deploying a squad of marines that way

They called it the Osprey.

And now you know... the rest of the story

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/arunindy/status/1008920876656427008

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Good on them. More of this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm the fantastically tone deaf "families" defense of concentration camp guards.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If there was any justice, we'd force these ICE guard's families to stay in the cages with the kids.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

CommieGIR posted:

If there was any justice, we'd force these ICE guard's families to stay in the cages with the kids.

If it's just like camp or daycare as they keep claiming, this seems like perfectly reasonable way for ICE to offer childcare to its employees.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If it's just like camp or daycare as they keep claiming, this seems like perfectly reasonable way for ICE to offer childcare to its employees.

hahah

Edit: "How come these loving illegals are getting goddamned free daycare!?" :freep:

  • Locked thread