Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Testekill posted:

Actually true of most birds in the Corvidae and Cracticede families.

Suburban Australia occasionally suffers from 'magpie swooping season', since Australian magpies aren't related to the European kind and are more like a magpie-coloured crow.

Magpies aren't normally hostile, but will remember that humans suck if given a reason. Around nesting time, some will become very aggressive and intimidate any human that comes around the nest.

Also they have a huge hateboner for people on bicycles and nobody is quite sure why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpTAOkmX2c

Normally they just clack their beaks extremely spookily at you just behind your head, but the really angry ones will rake or even bodyslam.
Children are told to wear ice cream buckets on their head with realistic eyes painted on them if an angry magpie is in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like how Okami handles keys. In almost all zelda games, you normally have a handful of keys in a dungeon to open up doors but the keys can only be used once. In Okami keys are arrows that you stab right into the eye of a particular demon who likes to hang out on doors, which adds a lot of character and also makes a little more sense when you can't reuse the key.

There's another point in the game where you need to disguise yourself to get into a demon HQ and it's cute.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Keys in Darksiders (another Zelda-clone) are also a knife that you stab into a giant eye on a door, which was also thematically appropriate given Darksiders' ludicrous penchant toward absurd violence.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Doesn't Rockstar have an exclusivity license on Euphoria, or am I getting that wrong? They've used it in everything since GTA 4.

For ragdolls it's so crazy interesting, even if they kneecapped it in 5 and Max Payne 3. Seeing people in GTA4 desperately hold onto your car door while they kick their feet never got old, especially if you lined them up with oncoming traffic to peel them off. Same with playing Drunk Niko and the stormtroopers holding each other in The Force Unleashed. It was fun to and interesting to watch in a sandbox way because how dynamic the animation was.

The same with DMM, which LucasArts was showing off when Euphoria hit the scene. Seeing wood bend, splinter and break apart, metal deform, glass shatter, and other things on an Xbox 360 no less was impressive and a decade ago I thought every game would move in this direction of simulating materials like this. Similar to how FC2's foliage reacted to bullets/explosions long ago, too, but games have moved pretty hard away from all that. R6 Siege is almost there, but I doubt it handles destruction at all similarly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like how Okami handles keys. In almost all zelda games, you normally have a handful of keys in a dungeon to open up doors but the keys can only be used once.

The locks fall off and disappear so it's not like you're locking an unlocking things all the time anyway. Also keys normally only unlock one thing anyway so I'm fine with that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bewilderment posted:

Suburban Australia occasionally suffers from 'magpie swooping season', since Australian magpies aren't related to the European kind and are more like a magpie-coloured crow.

Magpies aren't normally hostile, but will remember that humans suck if given a reason. Around nesting time, some will become very aggressive and intimidate any human that comes around the nest.

During mating season, a magpie's testicles will swell to more than 6 times their normal size.

This is enough to make anything incredibly annoyed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Keys in Darksiders (another Zelda-clone) are also a knife that you stab into a giant eye on a door, which was also thematically appropriate given Darksiders' ludicrous penchant toward absurd violence.

Darksiders 2 had a bunch of neat visuals around your Reaper form.

The gimmick in these games is that you're playing as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. In the first game you play War, who can periodically turn a big giant demon. It's cool, but feels very videogamey.

In DS2 it's Death's turn, and he can morph from a weird punchy dude into a giant floating grim reaper (no poo poo, sherlock).

What was great is how they integrated the reaper form into your regular moves as well. Need to pick up a key or open a big stone door? Summon your giant purple magic arms to do it for you. Do a crazy slashy combo? A giant spectral scythe slices along with you. Do a big aiborne uppercut? Spectral wings hold you aloft slightly.

It really felt like the Reaper form and normal form were both you, instead of being just some meter you fill before you hulk out. Shadow of Mordor/War have a similar thing with the ghost moves, like the double-parry or flurry attack, where Celebrimbor steps out of your body to do his thing and then steps back inside.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like how Okami handles keys. In almost all zelda games, you normally have a handful of keys in a dungeon to open up doors but the keys can only be used once. In Okami keys are arrows that you stab right into the eye of a particular demon who likes to hang out on doors, which adds a lot of character and also makes a little more sense when you can't reuse the key.

There's another point in the game where you need to disguise yourself to get into a demon HQ and it's cute.

If anyone hasn’t played this game: you get to draw whatever you want on that sheet and it stays stuck on your face for several hours of gameplay. It’s great

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the game itself is fairly rote at this point simply because I've seen a few LPs of it so I'm having trouble caring about it, I still appreciate the design of the Adult dungeons in Ocarina of Time (currently just at the Fire Temple in my playthrough).

The forest temple is just generally weird and offputting, it's just kind of a haunted house ride complete with the ghosts and the warped hallways, abundance of Skullwalltulas and creepy Wallmasters just add to the effect - it's effectively saying "You ain't in Hyrule anymore kid... Things just got real."

Then the fire temple has you rescuing all the gorons to advance so that they don't get eaten by Volvagia the Dragon, and it's just a massive key hunt. Then the water temple, which clearly regulates Lake Hylia because when it gets corrupted the water all drains, has you manipulating the water supply, manually regulating it in a sense as it cannot regulate itself.

You also have things like the Shadow Temple in the graveyard being almost like a passage to the afterlife, complete with ominous boatride towards the end of the dungeon.

The Spirit Temple seems to have a strong theme of duality throughout - two bosses who are in one fight, having to navigate as both Links and getting the Mirror Shield helps reinforce the theme although it's less strong than the other temples IMO.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Forest Temple is still one of the best dungeons in any Zelda game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Forest Temple scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, probably more than the Shadow Temple. It's just so...unsettling. Everything feels not quite right, especially the rooms full of flora. The creepy-rear end music certainly didn't help either.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Similarly, the first time you enter the dark world in Link to the Past and see the cyclops and tentacle monsters etc is a great moment

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I dunno if I was just really dumb about mazes or what as a kid, but I always hated the forest temple almost as much as the water temple.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Freaking out for the first time when you encounter a Redead. And then never taking them seriously again once you catch their sick dance moves.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What about killing a redead and seeing other redead walk up to the corpse? Are they mourning? Are they eating it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neito posted:

I dunno if I was just really dumb about mazes or what as a kid, but I always hated the forest temple almost as much as the water temple.

There was something about the Forest Temple that never clicked with me puzzle-wise. I would get stuck. I beat it (and the game) the first time through but never again.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I remember getting stuck once somewhere in the dungeon you get to with the help of the monkey in the GBA LttP. I somehow couldn't find any way to proceed and gave up. What's weird is that I've completed the game at least once before and once after that, though on the SNES (not that it should matter I think).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I remember getting stuck once somewhere in the dungeon you get to with the help of the monkey in the GBA LttP. I somehow couldn't find any way to proceed and gave up. What's weird is that I've completed the game at least once before and once after that, though on the SNES (not that it should matter I think).

If I remember that right (the first dungeon in the Dark World, the one to the east) there was one particular key that was always frustrating to figure out whenever I replayed it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, I had some real bad luck with GBA Zeldas, because I got to a point in the Minish Cap where I had no idea where to go/what to do to reach the next dungeon.

e: it reached a point where I was just going around trying to see if maybe I was missing an NPC that had a friendship-thingy I could complete, even though I don't know if there's any that are necessary for game-progression besides maybe the tutorial one

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China is basically an okay 2D stealth game. But there are brief 'escape' levels where it turns into a free-runner against the clock and it's WAY more fun than the slow sneaky stuff. I wish there was more of this :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

glad she is dead posted:

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China is basically an okay 2D stealth game. But there are brief 'escape' levels where it turns into a free-runner against the clock and it's WAY more fun than the slow sneaky stuff. I wish there was more of this :(

Yeah, if you've done everything there is to do in Mark of the Ninja, you could do a lot worse than this. I liked it, but I also found it incredibly frustrating in places, in that "this failure wasn't actually my fault" sort of way.

Had a ton of polish, though. Lovely to look at and listen to.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Morpheus posted:

Forest Temple scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, probably more than the Shadow Temple. It's just so...unsettling. Everything feels not quite right, especially the rooms full of flora. The creepy-rear end music certainly didn't help either.

The music is really good.

Forest Temple is great for a lot of reasons, and I think the spooky music and bizarre layout and arrangement of a lot of the rooms, like the hallways that twist around, or rooms with weird flora, really hammer home that the adult dungeons are a cut above the kid dungeons. Like, the kid dungeons -- oh, it's a big tree, it's inside a fish, isn't that weird? The adult dungeons in Ocarina are incredible (with one obvious exception, and also I guess Ganon's Tower is kinda weak) but Forest Temple is my favorite.

Lobok posted:

There was something about the Forest Temple that never clicked with me puzzle-wise. I would get stuck. I beat it (and the game) the first time through but never again.

Palace of Darkness is really good the same way Forest Temple is really good. It's tough! It's a lot more complex than any of the Light World dungeons and the enemies hit like trains, just also hammering home that the real Zelda is only just starting. But yeah it's just a nightmare labyrinth of keys and pits and tricks. I think aside from Turtle Rock it's probably the most confusing of any of the dungeons.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Morpheus posted:

The spookiness of Ocarina of Time probably has more to do with a combination of youth and the newness of 3d than the game itself but drat if it wasn't effective at the time. If that makes me the gaming equivalent of someone freaking out at the guy shooting at the camera at the end of a silent film then so be it.

scarycave posted:

Freaking out for the first time when you encounter a Redead. And then never taking them seriously again once you catch their sick dance moves.

Wallmasters were the worst because they were a jumpscare that was really poorly telegraphed due to the low fidelity of the game. Especially if you hadn't played the older games and had no idea that was a type of enemy or how you were supposed to be looking out for the shadow on your character.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Honestly, whenever anyone talks about spooky Zeldas, I feel like Link's Awakening just never gets it's due. It was such a good, creepy Zelda.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Palace of Darkness is really good the same way Forest Temple is really good. It's tough! It's a lot more complex than any of the Light World dungeons and the enemies hit like trains, just also hammering home that the real Zelda is only just starting. But yeah it's just a nightmare labyrinth of keys and pits and tricks. I think aside from Turtle Rock it's probably the most confusing of any of the dungeons.

I remember Turtle Rock being pretty linear. Like, it wraps around itself, but at any given point you only have one or maybe two options in terms of which direction to go in, so it's pretty straightforward to navigate. Palace of Darkness is vastly more interconnected. And Ice Palace (at least on SNES) is my pick for most confusing, since you need to figure out how the dungeon's big loop works while also managing the state of the floor switches if you want to solve it correctly.

Or you can just do what everyone else did and go get the Cane of Somaria from Misery Mire.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Neito posted:

Honestly, whenever anyone talks about spooky Zeldas, I feel like Link's Awakening just never gets it's due. It was such a good, creepy Zelda.

The best zelda!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

CrRoMa posted:

The best zelda!

Thank you! I feel like I talk to a wall every time I bring up that game.

Fun fact: The director was directly influanced by Twin Peeks, which had I think either just gotten big in Japan, or had been for a while, when he made that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's kind of absurd how many great video games were directly inspired by Twin Peaks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Neito posted:

Thank you! I feel like I talk to a wall every time I bring up that game.

No way, I love Link's Awakening. All the Game Boy Zeldas are good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's kind of absurd how many great video games were directly inspired by Twin Peaks.

I have good news, your favorite mindfuck tropes are coming back in style!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

No way, I love Link's Awakening. All the Game Boy Zeldas are good.

Totally, but there was something special about Awakening. Like... I dunno if it was the atmosphere, or how everything felt artificial, or my abuse of the select button bug, but that game genuinely creeped me out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neito posted:

Totally, but there was something special about Awakening. Like... I dunno if it was the atmosphere, or how everything felt artificial, or my abuse of the select button bug, but that game genuinely creeped me out.

It’s the fact you find out relatively early on that you’re in a dream and that the owl might be lying to you and the dungeon bosses get more and more desperate as you keep progressing and the NPCs are even kinda detached on the whole situation

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Calaveron posted:

It’s the fact you find out relatively early on that you’re in a dream

I think this was the best part. Any other game would string it along forever; LA was just like "Nope, you're in a dream, gotta gently caress this world if you wanna get back to reality".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Calaveron posted:

It’s the fact you find out relatively early on that you’re in a dream

Actually you find this out after the, uh, sixth dungeon or something. Fifth? I forget.

But the world is just so weird in how it operates, like there's no real consistent logic with it. Talon turns into a raccoon. There's a giant singing frog (and fish). There are references to Nintendo stuff all over the place, which is something you never see in a Zelda game. And, yeah, the NPCs just are completely removed from the fact that there are dungeons and monsters around town.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Actually you find this out after the, uh, sixth dungeon or something. Fifth? I forget.

But the world is just so weird in how it operates, like there's no real consistent logic with it. Talon turns into a raccoon. There's a giant singing frog (and fish). There are references to Nintendo stuff all over the place, which is something you never see in a Zelda game. And, yeah, the NPCs just are completely removed from the fact that there are dungeons and monsters around town.

The first LoZ had a boss that was 4 piranha plants stuck together.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

scarycave posted:

I'm pretty sure encountering a Redead right now would still give me shivers

That ghastly wail

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The first LoZ had a boss that was 4 piranha plants stuck together.

Are you referring to manhandla? I'd disagree in that regard - I mean, it has a passing resemblance to a pirahna plant in shape, but it shoots fireballs (which pirahna plants did not), is a dark shade of blue, and has no teeth.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Morpheus posted:

Are you referring to manhandla? I'd disagree in that regard - I mean, it has a passing resemblance to a pirahna plant in shape, but it shoots fireballs (which pirahna plants did not), is a dark shade of blue, and has no teeth.

but-but-but-but Mario 3!
:goonsay:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

but-but-but-but Mario 3!
:goonsay:

Came out in 1988, Legend of Zelda came out in 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

I read that in the Japanese manual it was refered to as some kind of piranha plant, but since I can't read Japanese I can't really confirm. :/