Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's epoxied because that's the second resistor they tried to integrate and he didn't want there to be a third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Guessing either poor timing causing detonation or water damage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Guessing either poor timing causing detonation or water damage.

Wow. That’s impressive. Is that a diesel? Looks like direct injector ports there between the valves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks a lot like the international 6.9/7.3 idi precombusion chamber thing.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Helsinki airport the other day. Perhaps more of a user failure to know basic physics.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Letmebefrank posted:

Helsinki airport the other day. Perhaps more of a user failure to know basic physics.

Piece of poo poo portable A/C isn't working at all!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm convinced that the majority of bad portable AC reviews on Amazon are from people with similar understandings of physics.

They ALL can't be 2-star pieces of poo poo, even though they all have that rating.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The longer I'm on this earth, the more I'm shown that the 4chan post about most people being akin to Oblivion NPCs talking about mudcrabs is the truth.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm convinced that the majority of bad portable AC reviews on Amazon are from people with similar understandings of physics.

They ALL can't be 2-star pieces of poo poo, even though they all have that rating.

Nah, they are all pieces of poo poo. No reputable A/C company makes them for starters, secondly, even if you connect the condenser air outlet through a window properly, if that fan is blowing 20l/s out the window, then warm air from outside your room is coming in at the same rate - the airflow rate is usually pretty high because the condensers are undersized but that 20l is out of my arse - couldn't find the specs for that detail anywhere as if there's a flow rate listed is often just the indoor fan.
Lastly you have the heat from the compressor and condenser in your room they're not insulated well, and neither is the outlet duct.
So they struggle due to constant room air changes and having a heat source right in the room.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

They're fine for temporary spot cooling, especially equipment, but really not a substitute for a real comfort system. I use them at work to cool server and network gear when we have to take down systems for PMs or repairs, and they're great for that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I would only ever buy or use a dual-tube system, because yeah otherwise having it create negative pressure is BS. But otherwise, I don't see how they can all be so poo poo at their jobs, especially when Honeywell or LG is making them and selling them for $500.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Wow. That’s impressive. Is that a diesel? Looks like direct injector ports there between the valves.

Yes, Diesel, No, its an Indirect Injection.

Its a VW 2.4D AAB.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Re: portable AC chat.

Friend's mom had one. Their place didn't have central AC, so she bought one. It worked good for cooling one room (her bedroom) but that was about it.
They never expected it to cool the whole place.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got on before I had central air installed in my townhouse. It was good enough to cool the whole downstairs which was a really open like 700ish square feet. I think it was about a 15k BTU system dual tube. The only pain was that it was also a dehumidifier and if the tank filled up it would just turn off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I got on before I had central air installed in my townhouse. It was good enough to cool the whole downstairs which was a really open like 700ish square feet. I think it was about a 15k BTU system dual tube. The only pain was that it was also a dehumidifier and if the tank filled up it would just turn off.

That is far better than what happens if it doesn't turn off when the tank fills.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

That is far better than what happens if it doesn't turn off when the tank fills.

True, the tank was way too small though maybe like a pint or something at most.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Plinkey posted:

Air conditioners are dehumidifers by nature, but thankfully the newer ones pump the water over the condenser coils to both evaporate the water and make the AC more efficient.

Can't really do that with a portable I guess because you'd get moldy exhaust tubes? I also see that some portables have a spot to plumb in a drain hose but not all so :shrug: you were just hosed I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I first moved away from home I went from Anchorage to Sunnyvale. I had a three room apartment with no central air at all, first thing I bought was one of those lovely small A/C units. It couldn't cool the whole apartment so I set up all my stuff in one bedroom and kept that door closed.

It mostly worked.

I second the hate of the water reservoir. Emptied that thing constantly.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

xzzy posted:

When I first moved away from home I went from Anchorage to Sunnyvale. I had a three room apartment with no central air at all, first thing I bought was one of those lovely small A/C units. It couldn't cool the whole apartment so I set up all my stuff in one bedroom and kept that door closed.

It mostly worked.

I second the hate of the water reservoir. Emptied that thing constantly.

I set mine up in my bedroom and it works perfectly for that, but mine has a drain hose and no reservoir, but every time I've opened up the drain hose it's been dry. Where is the moisture going!?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Air conditioners are dehumidifers by nature, but thankfully the newer ones pump the water over the condenser coils to both evaporate the water and make the AC more efficient.

Can't really do that with a portable I guess because you'd get moldy exhaust tubes? I also see that some portables have a spot to plumb in a drain hose but not all so :shrug: you were just hosed I guess.

You usually have to pay extra from rental places to get a little condensate pump and plastic tubing, so I assume bought units have them as an extra add-on too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Messadiah posted:

I set mine up in my bedroom and it works perfectly for that, but mine has a drain hose and no reservoir, but every time I've opened up the drain hose it's been dry. Where is the moisture going!?

Modern ACs pump the water onto the condenser coil to cool the coil (increasing efficiency) and to evaporate the water. I guess some portable units do, too.

glynnenstein posted:

You usually have to pay extra from rental places to get a little condensate pump and plastic tubing, so I assume bought units have them as an extra add-on too.

Like a portable AC rental place? Didn't know that exists but makes sense.

Even my cheapie LG 5k btu window unit I had installed in my VW bus flung the water up onto the condenser once it reached a certain level.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Portable ACs suck but are better than nothing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Plinkey posted:

All of them are dehumidifiers, due to the nature of refrigerated a/c.

Newer ones generally have a condensation pump that mists it into the exhaust airstream though.

Fun fact: growing up, my parents owned a carpet cleaning and flood/fire restoration company. All of our dehumidifiers were just portable ac units without any ducts, and you'd have to put them on a stand with a hose either going into a nearby sink, or a big bucket/tub.

See above. Yeah even my crappy one (Soleus Air) has that feature. Well, did.

That pump is dead on mine, so every time it stops, I have to carry the whole thing over to the bathtub and pull the drain plug, then tip it backwards for a few minutes. Or roll it out to the patio door and let it piss on my downstairs neighbor's patio.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 18, 2018

otaku69
May 18, 2003

boxen posted:

Dibs on the keys to this for the zombie apocalypse.

I thought that hedge rows traditionally had there branches weaved together to form living fence's ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The air conditioner was invented to dehumidify.

Employees of the Sackett–Wilhelms Lithographing & Publishing Company found the chilling effect to be a happy byproduct.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

otaku69 posted:

I thought that hedge rows traditionally had there branches weaved together to form living fence's ?

Traditionally here being a couple of hundred years ago. Some people still do it, but it's very labour intensive. Planting some bushes and running a tractor past them twice a year is a lot easier.

That's in the places where the hedges haven't all been bulldozed to make the fields bigger and more efficient anyway.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Platystemon posted:

The air conditioner was invented to dehumidify.

Employees of the Sackett–Wilhelms Lithographing & Publishing Company found the chilling effect to be a happy byproduct.

Yeah, Carrier first produced them to dehumidify.
E: but the chilling effect was known earlier as mechanical refrigeration was used for ice production first. Cooling came first, fan coils and humidify came second as a way to use it in buildings for air conditioning.
Air conditioning was an invention of using the known chilling properties of mechanical refrigeration to dehumidify, and Carrier went on to use it in his own company to dehumidify the air in large public buildings (as a lot of humidity in cooler regions comes from the people packed inside a building).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 18, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thinking about getting a Fiskars. Or something with hydraulics.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey the AC in my apartment went out today, good thing it's only 95 degrees ouside :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Portable ACs suck but are better than nothing.

Really it seems more like they blow. :v:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Had the rear fan/pull start clutch on my weed whacker blow the gently caress up with enough force to snap one of the fins off the jug.

I thought for sure the thing grenaded when I heard a bang followed by jangly metal noises, but nope.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plinkey posted:

Oh hey the AC in my apartment went out today, good thing it's only 95 degrees ouside :v:

omg it so hot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Plinkey posted:

omg it so hot

Did you put in the repair request? That's like one of the few things they are required to fix immediately.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Did you put in the repair request? That's like one of the few things they are required to fix immediately.

Unfortunately this largely depends on where you live. I know in Seattle most small buildings some have ac and fixing it isn't important like it would be in Texas or Florida.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FogHelmut posted:

Thinking about getting a Fiskars. Or something with hydraulics.

The Fiskars all-steel shovel is a bit heavier than a wood or fiberglass shovel, but it’s a loving monster that I don’t think I’m ever going to break. It feels good in the hands, too. The handle is bigger around than wood or fiberglass, so it’s better for people like me with huge bear-claws for hands.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah they are coming around 1.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrYenko posted:

The Fiskars all-steel shovel is a bit heavier than a wood or fiberglass shovel, but it’s a loving monster that I don’t think I’m ever going to break. It feels good in the hands, too. The handle is bigger around than wood or fiberglass, so it’s better for people like me with huge bear-claws for hands.

I ended up buying an inexpensive shovel and a 72" San Angelo bar. Fiskars is on my list for the future, but I also saw another brand, Bully?, that has a similar blade construction but with fiberglass handle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disappointed there's dirt moving chat and the resolution to the problem doesn't involve engines and hydraulics.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Disappointed there's dirt moving chat and the resolution to the problem doesn't involve engines and hydraulics.

This should do it for those fence posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

FogHelmut posted:

I ended up buying an inexpensive shovel and a 72" San Angelo bar. Fiskars is on my list for the future, but I also saw another brand, Bully?, that has a similar blade construction but with fiberglass handle.

I snapped a bully in half in less than 6 hours, so I can't really give them a glowing endorsement personally.

All my fiskars yard stuff has lasted for years, on the flip side.