Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah FL cars dont have to deal with much rust if any, your primary stuff is going to be heat and sun related unless you are driving it around in or around salt water. FL eats up batteries too normal oem ones dont like the heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, anybody want a brand-new Cherokee?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/2001-jeep-cherokee-limited/6618961984.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Trouble is, now it's too pretty to take off-road.
Also, it should have stayed here in TX.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Oh boy an automatic Cherokee with 120k on it, and they lifted it and tossed out the original wheels :toot: where do I sign up

Edit
My mistake the original spare is included

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 18, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Oh boy an automatic Cherokee with 120k on it, and they lifted it and tossed out the original wheels :toot: where do I sign up

Edit
My mistake the original spare is included

Not only that, but the original bolt pattern is 5x4.5" (114.3mm), and new Jeeps are 5x5" (127mm), so there is wheel adapter fuckery about.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/1988-toyota-mr2-supercharge/6610183877.html

Can I get opinions on this MR2? I really like the angular look of the first generation, even if it sounds like the early 90s models are a bit better. I think the price seems a little high, but I'm not sure.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KakerMix posted:

If you are in the USA and are interested in importing your own Japanese vehicles we have a thread dedicated to exactly that
Of course I'm not in the USA!
If I had land/storage/money I'm thinking commodore utes would be a good thing to grab and store. Just buy some base models (they're about $4k now and in a few years when they approach 20 y/o will drop to $2k and under unlicenced) and you guys can work out the LHD conversion and the LSx swap yourselves after delivery. It's a lot easier than a falcon, so no barra for you!
But I don't have land, storage or money to gamble so you're safe from my idea, it's too far into the future for the vz to become legal anyway.
Pre VZ then I don't think they are tested for LHD, but they may have been for the saudi market so there might be an earlier model with LHD capability (but even if so, they were pretty crap pre VZ so no point imo)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 19, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fo3 posted:

Of course I'm not in the USA!
If I had land/storage/money I'm thinking commodore utes would be a good thing to grab and store. Just buy some base models (they're about $4k now and in a few years when they approach 20 y/o will drop to $2k and under unlicenced) and you guys can work out the LHD conversion and the LSx swap yourselves after delivery. It's a lot easier than a falcon, so no barra for you!
But I don't have land, storage or money to gamble so you're safe from my idea, it's too far into the future for the vz to become legal anyway.
Pre VZ then I don't think they are tested for LHD, but they may have been for the saudi market so there might be an earlier model with LHD capability (but even if so, they were pretty crap pre VZ so no point imo)

LHD? Why on Earth would anyone be worried about that? They would stay RHD and be driven. Once 25 years hits every single rule goes out the window and no longer is a thing to worry about, you get exemption here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AquaticIguana posted:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/1988-toyota-mr2-supercharge/6610183877.html

Can I get opinions on this MR2? I really like the angular look of the first generation, even if it sounds like the early 90s models are a bit better. I think the price seems a little high, but I'm not sure.

It has fuzzy dice, so buy it. v:v:v

Go drive it and see. Looks pretty clean but I'm not a fan of the wheels. 160k miles plus that age is probably when all the fun rubber stuff is due for replacement, so I'd find out about maintenance history. Prices on these seem to hover around 4-6k if supercharged, but apparently he has tons of interest at that price so who knows how much he'll negotiate.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate the level of insanity it takes to collect sixty of these.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/d/dodge-stealth-mitsubishi/6613492533.html

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CornHolio posted:

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/d/dodge-stealth-mitsubishi/6613492533.html

He was just keeping one running.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

KakerMix posted:

LHD? Why on Earth would anyone be worried about that?
Drive thrus :lol: I think they'd be worth more if LHD was easy to do with factory parts and the commodore fit's that to a t. Wiki reading kind of suggests the 1998 vx was sold to brazil and saudi so that might be LHD capable too. My first hand knowledge was only the pontiacs which was the 2004 VZ onwards if I remember correctly and 11 more years is way too long to even think about it, plus a few more years until they hit rock bottom here anyway.
E: I've gotten really bored ever since roadkill went crap.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 19, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fo3 posted:

Drive thrus :lol: I think they'd be worth more if LHD was easy to do with factory parts and the commodore fit's that to a t. Wiki reading kind of suggests the 1998 vx was sold to brazil and saudi so that might be LHD capable too. My first hand knowledge was only the pontiacs which was the 2004 VZ IIRC

The car would have to be LHD before you sold it too to get that value. Someone that wants LHD isn't the same sort of person that would do it themselves. If they want that convenience then the overlap for people unwilling to drive RHD but capable of a LHD conversion
I've never seen anything that would indicate that someone who was interested in a distinctly Australian car would ever want to rip into it to convert it to LHD. The most major reason someone would cruise around in a down-under UTE would be because it's Australian, so the RHD would be a part of the car's identity and charm. Besides, cool import drivers (like me :v: ) either go inside instead of drive thrus or have someone that puts up with them like a significant other that can do what is needed from the now-passenger seat.

CornHolio posted:

What is it about these cars that makes them so unreliable? Anything else from this Japanese super-GT/sports car era is lauded like Skylines and Soarers, but for Mitsubishi these don't seem to command any respect in enthusiasm or cost. They are always super-cheap at auction but I know there is some sort of negative reputation for them.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Mitsubishi owners are generally broker and definitely more redneck than most other Japanese car owners thanks to the Chrysler connection, and the only car (by Mitsubishi) that got any love in the tuning market Japan was the EVO (The Eclipse was a very limited import).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Drive thrus :lol:

smdh if you're not ready to reverse through the McDonald's drive through :rice:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Don't you all do drive through to the extreme, like pharmacies and banks and poo poo? And I guess old fashioned tolls and ferries.
In australia it's only fast food and booze shops E: and of course car park buildings/shopping centres/anything with boom gates

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 19, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They were incredibly complex for their time. Lots of electronics and whatnot

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
My dream car is actually a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 in laser red with the chrome wheels :allears:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dennis McClaren posted:

My dream car is actually a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 in laser red with the chrome wheels :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

What is it about these cars that makes them so unreliable? Anything else from this Japanese super-GT/sports car era is lauded like Skylines and Soarers, but for Mitsubishi these don't seem to command any respect in enthusiasm or cost. They are always super-cheap at auction but I know there is some sort of negative reputation for them.

Transverse V6 twin turbo, all wheel drive and active aerodynamics. They're kind of a pain to work on just because the packaging, they're very heavy and the driveline isn't the most solid thing in the world. They do have a shitload of electronics as stated, and the active aero rarely works on any of them. They're not like a supra in that you can make 500whp with basic poo poo, the stock turbos are tiny. The stock DSM turbos are an upgrade for them.

I really REALLY wanted one back in high school, but could never afford it. I'm kind of glad for that. Instead I bought the cheaper, little brother DSM and it has many of the same problems. :v:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

AquaticIguana posted:

That's fair, I think. It looks to be well kept. The AW11 is really fun to drive (personally I think it's the best 80s-era Toyota, and yes I know the SW20 technically was released at the tail end of the 80s).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 3000GT was a really lame-rear end Starion replacement. It's basically a Diamante coupe.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Frond posted:

The 3000GT was a really lame-rear end Starion replacement. It's basically a Diamante coupe.

it was also wicked heavy and expensive (comparatively) due to the high end options like suspension, AWD, twin turbos, etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frond posted:

The Starion was basically a Galant coupe though so I don't see how that was any cooler.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Galant GTOs are badass.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

The Starion was basically a Galant coupe though so I don't see how that was any cooler.

The Starion was related to the Sigma Galant Coupe (Scorpion), which was also good. The two cars I just mentioned make up one fifth of every good car Mitsubishi has ever produced.

The Starion was groundbreaking - among the first of the Turbo GTs. It also had several wins and championships in production class racing. It was generally acknowledged as being a well sorted car. Also it looks really cool. The 3000GT is a big fat Eclipse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In high school I wanted nothing more than a drop top 3000GT turbo.

In retrospect I'm glad I never got one

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fo3 posted:

Don't you all do drive through to the extreme, like pharmacies and banks and poo poo? And I guess old fashioned tolls and ferries.
In australia it's only fast food and booze shops E: and of course car park buildings/shopping centres/anything with boom gates

Drive-in churches
http://www.driveinchurch.net/
Drive in funeral homes
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/2017/03/12/funeral-home-orange-mound-offers-drive-thru-viewing/98845648/
Drive-thru pharmacies too!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same. I was thiiiis close to getting one once, but decided to get a beautiful MK3 Supra instead. No ragrets.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think those were done by a coachbuilder. I'll see if i can find the article.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

shy boy from chess club posted:

He was just keeping one running.

I literally LOLed at this

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Possible real gold?

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/d/1989-jeep-wrangler-yj/6619832809.html

Biggest risk is that a 1989 is still smog eligible, but since smog testing is only done in Albuquerque, this Jeep has probably never been tested.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I don't think 89 was a good year at all, especially for emissions concerns.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
If you want a YJ, look for a '91-'95 with the 4.0 HO.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dagen H posted:

I don't particularly want a YJ, just a Jeep. I'd honestly prefer a CJ, but the price on this seemed ok.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who owned an 89 Wrangler, do not buy an 89 Wrangler, no matter how clean it is

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't particularly want a YJ, just a Jeep. I'd honestly prefer a CJ, but the price on this seemed ok.

lol, the new av is awesome

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dagen H posted:

Isn't the rule basically "don't own a carburated YJ"?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

With that overwhelming consensus, I'm definitely not going to bother driving 3 hours to see that YJ.

I am however going to look at this in the morning:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/6624274340.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

With that overwhelming consensus, I'm definitely not going to bother driving 3 hours to see that YJ.

I am however going to look at this in the morning:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/6624274340.html

It's rusted through the passenger floor a bit and in the usual spots (near the taillight, that one spot on the rocker panel in front of the door) but the actual frame seems solid. His brake work didn't seem terrible and it certainly stopped. Engine seemed good but sounded a little weird at higher RPM; is this the odd fire engine, a bad tune, or something else? 4wd and overdrive all worked.

I'm considering it but it's a bit of a gamble. Drove an 83 CJ-7 later in the day and it sounded like grumbly whiny hell in comparison to the older CJ-5.