Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Flavius Aetass posted:

I'm not nearly well-versed enough in naval history to know why that's wacky, but I keep seeing comments like this from RtW goons and was hoping I could get an explanation as to why certain things that seem to me like "a bunch of big guns on a metal ship, which is what a dreadnought or battleship is" seem obviously crazy and ahistorical to others.

Dreadnoughts historically began with HMS Dreadnought. In the ship naming scheme a 'B' is a pre-dreadnought and a 'BB' is a post-dreanought.

wikipedia posted:

HMS Dreadnought was a battleship built for the Royal Navy that revolutionised naval power. Dreadnought's entry into service in 1906 represented such an advance in naval technology that its name came to be associated with an entire generation of battleships, the "dreadnoughts", as well as the class of ships named after it. Likewise, the generation of ships she made obsolete became known as "pre-dreadnoughts". Admiral Sir John "Jacky" Fisher, First Sea Lord of the Board of Admiralty, is credited as the father of Dreadnought. Shortly after he assumed office, he ordered design studies for a battleship armed solely with 12-inch (305 mm) guns and a speed of 21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph).

Dreadnought was the first battleship of her era to have a uniform main battery, rather than having a few large guns complemented by a heavy secondary armament of smaller guns. She was also the first capital ship to be powered by steam turbines, making her the fastest battleship in the world at the time of her completion. Her launch helped spark a naval arms race as navies around the world, particularly the German Imperial Navy, rushed to match it in the build-up to World War I.

Basically HMS Dreadnought was such a step up in capability from all the big battleships that preceded her that she rendered them all obsolete (they are now called pre-dreadnoughts). This was mainly because of two factors.

1) A uniform main battery of big guns.
2) Steam turbines.

Short version is thanks to the turbines she could be fast for the era while also carrying more armor than most comparable battleships. The uniform battery of big guns was revolutionary because previously battleships had had maybe 2-4 big guns forward and aft and a lot of 6''-8'' secondary guns mounted on the sides. It let her engage an enemy from well beyond the range of most of their guns and also meant that shell splashes (how you would range on an enemy) were not confused with the splashes of the secondary guns meaning you could find the range and start hitting a lot sooner.

Basically Battleship and Dreadnought is interchangeable for most of the RtW period apart from the very start.

The Battleship (B or BB)/Battlecruiser (BC) distinction is to do with their roles and design philosophy.

Battleships were slower (low 20's in knots) and mounted the biggest guns and most armor possible. This enabled them to 'lie in the line of battle' and basically they were built for large scale fleet engagements where two lines of battleships sail parallel and pound the poo poo out of each other.

Battlecruisers were big ships (often only slightly smaller or even bigger than battleships) designed to hunt and kill anything that was not a battleship. Theoretically they would be used to win the 'scouting' battles before a main engagement and also hunt enemy raiding ships. To do this they were very fast, often faster even than smaller cruisers. Ironically due to the physics of hull design it can be easier to make bigger ships go faster than more moderately sized ones. However to achieve this speed you have to sacrifice a lot of mass to bigger engines which usually meant they had (barely) enough armor protection to take hits from the small guns 6''-8'' of heavy/light cruisers but nowhere near enough to take hits from other Battlecruisers or Battleships/Dreadnoughts.You can see this best demonstrated at the battle of Jutland with British battlecruisers just blowing the gently caress up when they took high calibre hits.

At the most basic level for ship design you choose a balance of Speed/Armor/Guns for a given size. Battleships are a Armor/Guns design and Battlecruisers are usually a Speed/Guns design though some German designs tended towards smaller guns and more armor.

Specifically for the 4x12'' 10x10'' 12'' armor design its weird because it occupies a strange halfway point between the historical pre-Dreadnoughts and the Dreadnought 'all big guns' design. A proper dreadnought will always be better but you can get these guys out from basically the very start and they are nearly as good especially if you refit them with secondary battery fire controls later.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

10" shells have a good deal more boom than 9", yes. So while they may penetrate roughly the same, 10" shells will do more damage.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Those are really good explanations, thanks.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I can't decide between Pike n Shot and Field of Glory 2. Does one work better than the other or do I just go by which era I prefer?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

There were some weird semi dreadnoughts right before HMS Dreadnought IRL too. The design saros was talking about is is kind of like the Japanese Satsuma, which was intended to be the first all big gun battleship. Turned out they couldn’t import enough of the British 12” guns that it was meant to have, so the majority of the armament got downgraded to a 10” superheavy secondary.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Naval treaties! :argh:

For a glimpse of how far things came IRL in 1900-1925:

British Duncan class:

14,000 tons and maybe 7''-8'' of armor on the belt.

American South Dakota's (1920 design, never completed)

12x 16'' guns, 23kts, 13.5'' belt armor, 684 feet (208 m) long, 106 feet (32 m) wide and displaced 43,200 tons.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 18, 2018

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Saros posted:

I love how absolutely massive the Yamato is :allears: It's the only ship to continue the pre-Washington treaty trendline

aphid_licker posted:

I can't decide between Pike n Shot and Field of Glory 2. Does one work better than the other or do I just go by which era I prefer?

Field of Glory 2 is a better game. However, I do actually like fhe Pike n Shot campaign system more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Field of Glory II is newer and more refined, the tactical battles are the better of the two. Pike and Shot has the better campaign system, though, FoG2's is a bit simplified.

So far my biggest criticism of FoG2 is the sound, there's a grand total of one sound effect recorded for every action and it gets really annoying hearing the same stock 'sword clash' sound thirty times per turn

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 18, 2018

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Fray posted:

There were some weird semi dreadnoughts right before HMS Dreadnought IRL too. The design saros was talking about is is kind of like the Japanese Satsuma, which was intended to be the first all big gun battleship. Turned out they couldn’t import enough of the British 12” guns that it was meant to have, so the majority of the armament got downgraded to a 10” superheavy secondary.

You've got a few:

Lord Nelson

Regina Elena

Radetzky

You can definitely see the convergence towards the all big gun idea Vittorio Cuniberti was talking about when he published his paper in 1903. Th American Mississippi class also had a similar move toward the all gun configuration that wouldn't be realized until the South Carolina class.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Saros posted:

What US Battleship got near 60,000 tons?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mister Bates posted:

Field of Glory II is newer and more refined, the tactical battles are the better of the two. Pike and Shot has the better campaign system, though, FoG2's is a bit simplified.

So far my biggest criticism of FoG2 is the sound, there's a grand total of one sound effect recorded for every action and it gets really annoying hearing the same stock 'sword clash' sound thirty times per turn

I agree with this and—having never played Pike and Shot—can say that the FoG2 campaign system is really quite boring; however, I am glad there is at least some campaign system.

For example I am still coming to terms with the fact Desert War has zero campaign modes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

nessin posted:

What US Battleship got near 60,000 tons?

The planned Montana-class.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So, I know I just talked about this a few months ago, but since it was Spring 2018, I decided to re-read John Toland’s book No Man’s Land, and well... gently caress...

I am so baffled why people always talk about Second World War “What Ifs” when the First World War was such a close run thing. I mean the German Spring Offensives of 1918, despite the 250,000 Americans arriving every month, despite the effects of the blockade, and despite Ludendorff’s terrible generalship during the campaign, came a literal hair’s breadth away from forcing France to her knees and destroying a large part of the British army.

It was so close, contingency plans were made for seeking peace and soldiers and generals all the way up to Haig and Petain believed the Entente was within hours of being defeated.

I mean the military historian in mean is kind of amazed the Entente and the US were able to turn the defeatism and near defeat of the Allied armies in mid-June on its head with 100 days offensive just a month and a half later...

This makes me real sad as a grog gamer that nobody spends time on First World War games, and that when they do, nobody has really done a great job of capturing to conflict.

The closest I think is Guns of August because of its HQ offensive system, but even that is far from perfect.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Man that's a bummer about the campaign system in FoG2, I think between that and a slight preference for the era I'll so with PnS.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ZombieLenin posted:

So, I know I just talked about this a few months ago, but since it was Spring 2018, I decided to re-read John Toland’s book No Man’s Land, and well... gently caress...

I am so baffled why people always talk about Second World War “What Ifs” when the First World War was such a close run thing. I mean the German Spring Offensives of 1918, despite the 250,000 Americans arriving every month, despite the effects of the blockade, and despite Ludendorff’s terrible generalship during the campaign, came a literal hair’s breadth away from forcing France to her knees and destroying a large part of the British army.

It was so close, contingency plans were made for seeking peace and soldiers and generals all the way up to Haig and Petain believed the Entente was within hours of being defeated.

I mean the military historian in mean is kind of amazed the Entente and the US were able to turn the defeatism and near defeat of the Allied armies in mid-June on its head with 100 days offensive just a month and a half later...

This makes me real sad as a grog gamer that nobody spends time on First World War games, and that when they do, nobody has really done a great job of capturing to conflict.

The closest I think is Guns of August because of its HQ offensive system, but even that is far from perfect.

I'm not sure the Spring Offensives were THAT close in reality - from what I understand the Germans basically blew everything they had left logistically on them and would have had trouble pushing much further than they did even if every Entente soldier was simultaneously Raptured, just from supply issues alone. Unsurprising that they cracked like an egg once the counter-offensive got underway, given those circumstances, they'd burned themselves out.

That being said, "what the situation is in reality" and "what the situation looks like to the politician seeing a big swathe of the map turning gray" are two different things and I can definitely see how the offensives could have caused some panicking on the home front that may well have led to peace discussions. And I also agree that WW1 was a lot more of a near-run thing than WW2. I guess it's probably the ideologies involved that make people fantasize about WW2 what-ifs - a world in which the Nazis won or the Soviet Union invaded Europe is a big, dramatic change. A world in which Imperial Germany wins? The changes aren't so interesting or easy to plot.

(I assume you already know about Commander: The Great War?)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't forget how devastating the Uboat campaign was being until Willy got pissy and mucked about with the Navy.

There was a brief period where many Americans were seriously pissed about the British constantly stopping, detaining, and searching/seizing American ships/cargos destined for Neutral ports (which may or may not have later gone on to the Central Powers) until the Uboat warfare policies changed and American ships/citizens started getting sunk/killed by boats more frequently.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Does anyone else have an issue with pike&shot's skirmish generator giving the defending side on an attack-type battle more units?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Stairmaster posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with pike&shot's skirmish generator giving the defending side on an attack-type battle more units?

Working as intended. There's supposed to be garrison units in every province manning the local fortress the enemy has to siege down, and if there's a battle it's assumed that some of those garrison units will march out to join the fight.

Similarly, if you win a siege some of your units will vanish. This is normal, and represents them departing the main army to form the local garrison.

Edit: Though come to think of it that's the campaign, not sure if they do the same thing for a randomly generated skirmish. Seems odd.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is polish and austrian calvary supposed to be this overpowering compared to the ottomans?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Stairmaster posted:

is polish and austrian calvary supposed to be this overpowering compared to the ottomans?

Those Polish Hussars must've drank their Red Bulls. :haw:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Stairmaster posted:

Something something winged hussars.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Stairmaster posted:

Yes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ZombieLenin posted:

I agree with this and—having never played Pike and Shot—can say that the FoG2 campaign system is really quite boring; however, I am glad there is at least some campaign system.

For example I am still coming to terms with the fact Desert War has zero campaign modes.

I think it's a lot better than P&S's campaign, but I hate map campaigns for these kind of games.

Stairmaster posted:

The AI is really not very good at using the movement rules to beat pistol cavalry with skirmish cavalry. Horse/Vet. Horse are still generally better than horse archers/carbine light cav, but the AI magnifies the issue.

Basically, horse have a pistol capability that negates swordsmen(most ottoman cav have this) until they get disrupted, and the way to disrupt horse is to shoot at them. There's a similar dynamic with janissaries/sword+gun units vs pike+shot units.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 18, 2018

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Tomn posted:

I'm not sure the Spring Offensives were THAT close in reality - from what I understand the Germans basically blew everything they had left logistically on them and would have had trouble pushing much further than they did even if every Entente soldier was simultaneously Raptured, just from supply issues alone. Unsurprising that they cracked like an egg once the counter-offensive got underway, given those circumstances, they'd burned themselves out.

If you haven’t already, and you’re interested, I suggest you read Toland’s No Man’s Land. It really was that close, and both Clemenceau and Loyd George were in serious risk of falling; however, it was not just the politicians.

Field Marshall Wilson was predicting that the French were going to collapse and, even if the British kept the Channel ports covered, the British Army would lose a million prisoners evacuating.

Haig though something similar, and briefly contemplated what the British could do to make the peace less bad. Pétain panicked, thought the war was lost and encouraged the evacuation of Paris.

That being said, you are largely correct. Ludendorff had become semi unhinged and instead of focusing on any one of the strategic opportunities like the capture of Compiegne or Amien—either of which, if you consult the war diaries of Entente leadership would have forced an immediate request for armistice by one or both of the Entente powers—he decided to do both AND turn his diversion towards the Marne into a real sustained attack.

Germany was also hindered by war weariness of the troops and lack of discipline (troops so hungry they would stop to gorge themselves on captured allies foodstuffs).

quote:

I assume you already know about Commander: The Great War?)

Of course! Its a pretty good grog lite, but I really wish there were true grog WW1 games that captured the conflict, at any level, better. Like I said, Guns of August is a decent WW1 grand strategy title, particularly at capturing the static part of the war; however, its pretty terrible at capturing the more mobile parts of the conflict—Eastern Front, 1914, and 1918.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't forget how devastating the Uboat campaign was being until Willy got pissy and mucked about with the Navy.

There was a brief period where many Americans were seriously pissed about the British constantly stopping, detaining, and searching/seizing American ships/cargos destined for Neutral ports (which may or may not have later gone on to the Central Powers) until the Uboat warfare policies changed and American ships/citizens started getting sunk/killed by boats more frequently.

The supreme irony being that it was really the restarting of the unrestricted uboat campaign that brought America into the war, and this campaign did relatively little...

And it was the knowledge the Americans were massing that probably led to the Entente not folding during the Spring Campaign AND contributed to the demoralization of the German army during the 100 days campaign.

In other words, the Americans actually played the critical role in victory against Germany in the First World War, while the Soviets would probably have beat the nazis on their own...

Yet we World War Two is the war we Americans tend to want to take credit for winning.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 19, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Is Toland's work still mostly well regarded today? I read the Rising Sun a while ago when I was looking for a book on the Pacific campaign with more of a view of the Japanese side of things, and I recall being warned that while it was a good read, a whole bunch of claims in there don't hold up to modern scholarship.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is Toland's work still mostly well regarded today? I read the Rising Sun a while ago when I was looking for a book on the Pacific campaign with more of a view of the Japanese side of things, and I recall being warned that while it was a good read, a whole bunch of claims in there don't hold up to modern scholarship.

As a bit of an aside to this, did you find any good alternatives to Rising Sun? I'm looking for that same type of book - the Pacific War from the Japanese perspective - and am coming up short. I'm listening to the audiobook of Rising Sun and it's a bit tough to follow and doesn't really feel like it's sinking in.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

As a bit of an aside to this, did you find any good alternatives to Rising Sun? I'm looking for that same type of book - the Pacific War from the Japanese perspective - and am coming up short. I'm listening to the audiobook of Rising Sun and it's a bit tough to follow and doesn't really feel like it's sinking in.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to yet. That's part of the reason I powered through Rising Sun despite all it's caveats.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Gewehr 43 posted:

He definitely writes in a more narrative style a la foot, but in so doing he relies heavily on war diaries and the like—so for a topic like “what was going on inside in Army HQ and in the trenches in 1918,” I think he does well.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The main criticism I've heard from Rising Sun was that Toland took everything he heard from the Japanese commanders and politicians he interviewed (IIRC the reason his book was so big was he was the first western academic to actually write based on their accounts) at face value without taking into account:

1. Everyone is trying to make themselves look good and their wartime rivials look like idiots.

2. Everyone deflecting blame from the emperor at all costs. Rising Sun reeeaallly leans in the whole "Poor Hirohito knew nothing of atrocities and was just misled and kept in the dark by evil ambitious military men", which by now we know was bullshit.

So I don't know for sure if his other works suffer from the same credulity problem, but after reading Rising Sun I'd be a bit wary.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
RTW question: if an early treaty limits gun size before you get decent guns, are you still allowed to refit once you get them? Just got a treaty that limits new ships to 10" guns; I still have B's with -1 12" guns and I'm not sure if that means I get to rebuild them once I roll better 12" guns.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yes you can refit your old ships with better guns but not afaik enlarge their guns via trading in doubles for singles etc.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Ghostmonkey posted:

Decided to pick up RTW after I started reading that battleship design book one of you linked a few pages back. So far, I got sacked about 14 turns in? So far this game seems unnecessarily difficult (why am I allowed to choose options that I haven't researched yet?). I'm gonna give it a another go maybe without bankrupting Great Britain with crew training.

It might be easier to try a smaller country first? I started with Italy in my very first game and that's great - you've mostly just got the Med to worry about, A/H only has one port and the French are generally not too terrible.

And then just throw poo poo together to see what works, what doesn't and what's funny while trying to avoid having your precious BBs sunk by friendly torpedoes.

This thing hit 30kts in ~1905 and lasted until 1925. I'm still not sure how.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

TacticalNecromancy posted:

It might be easier to try a smaller country first? I started with Italy in my very first game and that's great - you've mostly just got the Med to worry about, A/H only has one port and the French are generally not too terrible.

It works great until you are accidentally at was with Great Britain.

That’s the problem with small countries.

My recommendation for new players is Germany. You have enough money to build a decent fleet, and you don’t have a huge overseas empire to worry about.

Usually you end up at war with Russia, but if you do end up at war with a major naval power like Great Britain you have the budget to have the fleet to stand up to them given the British deployment priorities.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

ZombieLenin posted:

It works great until you are accidentally at war with Great Britain.

That's the problem with small countries.

My recommendation for new players is Germany. You have enough money to build a decent fleet, and you don't have a huge overseas empire to worry about.

Usually you end up at war with Russia, but if you do end up at war with a major naval power like Great Britain you have the budget to have the fleet to stand up to them given the British deployment priorities.

That's fair. I think I avoided it with Italy, but my second game was as the CSA and that involved at least one war with GB. IIRC I mostly solved that one by declining battles without a major advantage and relying on making the Gulf of Mexico so full of submarines that 'Lusitania' became a verb. Luckily the British and French were more squeamish than the good ol' boys.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

loving lolz

That thing is a travesty.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Gewehr 43 posted:

loving lolz

That thing is a travesty.

The RTW thread has my first couple of campaigns in it and I like my Confednoughts even more than the Italians. The Itis were based off of hotrods, the Confednoughts were based off Great Lakes freighters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The RTW thread has my first couple of campaigns in it and I like my Confednoughts even more than the Italians. The Itis were based off of hotrods, the Confednoughts were based off Great Lakes freighters.

I love the lifeboat placement.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
For whatever reason, the idea of a "CSS Tucker Carlson" just tickles me so much. The goofy layout just makes it all the better.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The main criticism I've heard from Rising Sun was that Toland took everything he heard from the Japanese commanders and politicians he interviewed (IIRC the reason his book was so big was he was the first western academic to actually write based on their accounts) at face value without taking into account:

1. Everyone is trying to make themselves look good and their wartime rivials look like idiots.

2. Everyone deflecting blame from the emperor at all costs. Rising Sun reeeaallly leans in the whole "Poor Hirohito knew nothing of atrocities and was just misled and kept in the dark by evil ambitious military men", which by now we know was bullshit.

So I don't know for sure if his other works suffer from the same credulity problem, but after reading Rising Sun I'd be a bit wary.

Anecdotes from the losing side are notoriously unreliable. Not admitting to major personal mistakes, making your opponents seem hopelessly stronger, and throwing peers under the bus as you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You have invented the Battle-Destroyer