Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

That's an old lie from back in the day - CIG is not the first to use it. If you don't know how to work with the engine and don't understand performance optimization then you toss out the "it's being built for the future" in the hopes that some future tech will make your hack poo poo code run halfway decently.

Ahaha!

Today though it's a lot of "the cloud the cloud!" And how you can just "infinitely" scale into the cloud. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

unblock me you coward

Says the ban master.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks hobo.

:lol:

I love when a developer makes a known comment about a feature but it backfires and they need to walk back the whole feature or confuse it more so people don't know what's happening.

You could say it's because they don't want you to stop spending money, but I guess if you're ignorant you could say "because they want to make the best game ever!" Other than nobody can say for sure how the best game ever is supposed to actually work. :)

Details details. Buy another ship! :shepspends:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

Late 2016, respiratory illness in my six year old daughter that coincided with Hurricane Matthew. She was medically fragile and had been sick for a couple of days, but we'd gone through it before and had coped, but there was surprise pneumonia. Her sister never made it out of hospital after getting viral meningitis; both kids had genetic issues that we didn't find out about until after birth.

Holy poo poo. I'm sorry you've been through this.

quote:

I did lean on a whole community of people to not simply go insane. poo poo, our street fed us for like two weeks because we couldn't function.

I'm glad you had people around you to give you support.

quote:

I have very strong opinions about the state of Florida health services, though. It's literally ren faire of fringe science and weird side-gigs. Like when you ask for paperwork for the efficacy of a particular ($200/week) treatment and you get a printout from a blog.

American health care is such poo poo. I've had a doctor I otherwise liked, and found very caring and attentive, try to sell me on homeopathic remedies they were peddling on the side. An actual real doctor.

:glomp: to Hav

quote:

Okay, can we definitively state that the leader of Star Citizens is Montoya, and that he not only speaks and represents them, but also knows what every one of them is up to?

How about you condemn the behavior and leave the 'false flag/crisis actors' to the places where it matters?

Montoya is a politician at this point.

I wouldn't exactly go that far, that he knows every behavior, but Montoya is definitely implicitly saying that behavior is acceptable, and promoting anti-consumer practices. He's doing so to protect his position as one of the leaders of TEST squadron.

He's willfully looking the other way, and throwing up smoke screens. It's extremely disgusting. He is a total piece of poo poo. I'd label him as the worst of the SC community that has any actual influence.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its called "write enough convoluted poo poo that all 200 backers will come away with 400 different conclusions"

This is indeed the tactic.

Star Citizen is everything you want.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Why do you need an accelerated clock to make a fictional moon rotate 8 times in one day? Just say that the moon rotates at that rate.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

I love when a developer makes a known comment about a feature but it backfires and they need to walk back the whole feature or confuse it more so people don't know what's happening.

You could say it's because they don't want you to stop spending money, but I guess if you're ignorant you could say "because they want to make the best game ever!" Other than nobody can say for sure how the best game ever is supposed to actually work. :)

Details details. Buy another ship! :shepspends:

It's amazing, one could even suspect there's absolutely no design done for this dumpster fire of a project.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I think the best part of lando's reply was using the word 'entreat'.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

They do. I miss being a parent, but going through the grief of losing them was like nothing else I've ever dealt with before, and while my wife is ready for another attempt (we have a possibly viable embryo on ice), I'm loving terrified.

Of course, being loving terrified is something I've done a lot, so meh.

As long as it's not a Judge.

This is both sad but at the same time I hope eager and excited for the future. I hope you guys go through with it because it sounds like you'd be great again. I'm sorry you had to endure this though. My deepest condolences. :(

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

EVE Goons haven't really been SA based for a couple years at this point, as far as I understand.

There was a schism during one of the lower times for Goonfleet, when the leader at the time went on vacation and forgot to arrange for the sov payments, thereby dropping pretty much all of owned territory to the delight of Goon and non-goon alike. The ensuing megatonnage drama bomb and post-apocalyptic industrial level trolling that followed caused a sizeable percentage of the aggrieved parties doing 'gently caress goons', seizing the name and loving off to Pandemic Legion where sulking was had, along with a campaign of terror against goon operations.

['FuckGoons' is a time-honored tradition that comes from the constant herding of a bunch of space libertarians coupled with a large bag of 'swag' within easy reach.]

This led to a new golden era, because Goons live for 'good fites', and tend to wither during enhanced peacetime, and Goonwaffe was most of us good guys lined up, arm in arm, whistling a jaunty tune as we attempted to gum up PL's turret mounts with our flesh. Everything gets hazy for a while during the Curse years, because it was mostly small gang poo poo against some roleplayers called the 'Honorable Templarum' or some poo poo. I remember that the name really pissed me off. Then Solar Fleet gave us their home in the North, and we started gathering people again. Pandemic _claims_ Goon purity, but I've always felt that was a misnomer and that you'd find Goon purity wherever Goon values and Goon priorities are first and foremost, because being a Goon is more of a cultural thing than a physical thing.

<remdick.jpg>

Colostomy Bag posted:

Says the ban master.

Poetic really.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

The Saddest Robot posted:

Why do you need an accelerated clock to make a fictional moon rotate 8 times in one day? Just say that the moon rotates at that rate.

Chris is the boss. Imagine trying to explain celestial mechanics to Chris Roberts who thinks that he expertly understands space because it's what's between his ears.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
does anyone have that star citizen development-time chart (the diablolo 3 one, or something similar)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Details details. Buy another ship!

Yeah, White Star Line went with that approach...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm sorry you've been through this.

I'm glad you had people around you to give you support.

American health care is such poo poo. I've had a doctor I otherwise liked, and found very caring and attentive, try to sell me on homeopathic remedies they were peddling on the side. An actual real doctor.

:glomp: to Hav

Gonna wrap this up because it's not really the topic; I've had an interesting life that started off challenging very early, but it's turned me into a really stubborn bastard when it comes to 'the right thing', so when you walk into a pharmacy for pediatric pain medicine and they offer you a box that clearly states that it contains a homeopathic dilution in a 100% sucrose package...

I wouldn't mind so much if you got what you paid for with homeopathy (eg dilution + water), but those buggers charge some serious money for making people feel better about things. And everything is better if you're friends with a practicing psychiatrist; I'm not one for pills, but they shave off the edges sometimes.

Thanks for all your kind words, back to computer games and the gamers that play them.

XK posted:

I wouldn't exactly go that far, that he knows every behavior, but Montoya is definitely implicitly saying that behavior is acceptable, and promoting anti-consumer practices. He's doing so to protect his position as one of the leaders of TEST squadron.

He's willfully looking the other way, and throwing up smoke screens. It's extremely disgusting. He is a total piece of poo poo. I'd label him as the worst of the SC community that has any actual influence.

I would never speak _for_ a group of people, because some of my nearest and dearest have let me down, let alone a bunch of internet randos. Every community has a lurking pedophile, or sex offender or future murderer, so it's actually not that worthwhile saying that the group has a particular responsibility for that person.

However, leadership starts at the top, so what you DO say is;

"While this person made their threats anonymously, it's not appropriate to theorize about their motives, and instead we must, as an entire community, agree to hold ourselves and our peers to the highest standards of not threatening people with harm, or harrassing individuals privately, and instead raise our voices to talk about what is right, good and positive. I personally expect everyone to behave themselves, and they should expect me to behave myself by following the clear stated rules on harrassment."

Or some poo poo.

Edit:

She seems fun.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 19, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slow_Moe posted:

Some of those people really need to stop and ask themselves "Hans, are we the baddies?"

Mitchell and Webb! Great reference!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hav posted:

Thanks for all your kind words, back to computer games and the gamers that play them.

Sir, I think you’ll find that this thread is for dreams and the gamers that do not play computer games.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

EVE Goons haven't really been SA based for a couple years at this point, as far as I understand. What's funny though is Vertices assumes it's only EVE Goons making GBS threads on SC when in fact a trip to /r/eve shows enemies forming "alliances" across the board to dunk on the lovely tech demo

Now, what would be really amusing, should SC ever be released, is if they were were swarmed by EvE players who created a mega corp and dominated everywhere, taxing the backers for travel and trade and litereally everything, or face being blown up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

Sir, I think you’ll find that this thread is for dreams and the gamers that do not play computer games.

I'm doingitwrong :smuggo:

Agony Aunt posted:

Now, what would be really amusing, should SC ever be released, is if they were were swarmed by EvE players who created a mega corp and dominated everywhere, taxing the backers for travel and trade and litereally everything, or face being blown up.

Derek's Teamsters and Children's Entertainers.

Edit: ooh, oohh Smart's Circus!

Doesn't even need much editing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 19, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

THE LORE DOG
I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE LORE!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’m super glad that we’re back to CIG mis-explaining bad dream mechanics. It feels so much more innocent and pure than the death threats.

I think it’s such a good idea to make unloading a non-interactive 30 minute timer, gives you more of an excuse to spend time talking to subsumption driven NPCs on the station. I’ve always felt that there was too much emphasis on wanting to fly ships in space amongst some of the more dangerous corners of the SC community.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1009075119711555584
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1009081950819282946
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1009082924761837569
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1009084112882274305
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1009087144038682625
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1009105443749326849

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I see that 'opinions' are the inevitable consequence of transparency.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So lando even says it straight up , I think everyone glossed over it

Developers are not public speakers or corporate pitch people

But that's exactly how they've been treated since day 1

Why does mr Robert's need more pitch people. He had the money to finish the game like 100 million ago

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1007967404037689345
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1008364375445344256
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1008238316037332992

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Accelerated time has nothing to do with moons or planets and everything to do with shopping. Remember, their super-AI characters have to sleep, eat, and so on so their shops won't be open the whole day. With accelerated time you only need to wait an hour for your favorite RSI dealer to open instead of eight.

This also lets them introduce new yearly models of ships much more often.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I will give him that, /r/eve is a shithole.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

As opposed to the decades of culturally reinforced character assassination of any woman brave enough to come forward: "She deserves it look at the way she dressed" , "Wouldn't have happened if she had been married and not out at all hours of the night" , " Look at her do you think anyone would want to touch her?"

HAHAHA, Get hosed Humanevil

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Montoya pirating Windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUfFTzzr4UI&t=235s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I love how CIG is so fascinated with time when all of their presentations begging for money are quite late.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Hav posted:

Edit:

She seems fun.

As someone who started going into epidemiology, the anti-vaxxers and homeopathy people scare the hell out of me/get me actually angry and they were a regular topic of conversation in class discussions when trying to figure out how far they'd skew herd immunity/the spread of a disease.

As for Alex there, she's definitely a burger and fries short of a happy meal. He likes to trot her drama out whenever his videos start tanking though, so I had to stop watching him. Still wouldn't wish this poo poo on him, what a goddamn dumpster fire.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This seems relevant to the chris roberts style of business:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/20/magic_leap/

quote:

From the article: "The first real look at what the secretive, multi-billion dollar company has been working on all these years… It also adds some insight into why major companies like Google and Alibaba have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into Magic Leap, and why some researchers believe the creation could be as significant as the birth of the Internet."

So that's:

Secretive = like Apple and so working on something amazing
Lots of money = must be doing something good
Big-name investors = must be credible
Hyperbolic quote = this is going to be amazing

But, yet again, all the warning signs are there

SC uses all the same expectations to deliver the same confidence trick.

quote:

Abovitz literally cannot stop himself from confusing sci-fi enthusiasm with what he is able to actually do

Replace Abovitz with Roberts and it all holds the same.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 19, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I will give him that, /r/eve reddit is a shithole.
Seriously, it's designed to guarantee every subreddit will become a circle-jerking hugbox.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Seriously, it's designed to guarantee every subreddit will become a circle-jerking hugbox.

Let's rub.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Hav posted:

I see that 'opinions' are the inevitable consequence of transparency.

I'll have you know that opinions are the cancer that's destroying the bedrock of Truth, Justice, and the American JPEG.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

You're not rubbing already?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Star Citizen is good.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvE community: We agree!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

You're not rubbing already?

Wanted to, now I feel grief that I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nebiros posted:

As someone who started going into epidemiology, the anti-vaxxers and homeopathy people scare the hell out of me/get me actually angry and they were a regular topic of conversation in class discussions when trying to figure out how far they'd skew herd immunity/the spread of a disease.

Yeah, I have a friend who has to rely on herd immunity and he's bothered. Dunning-Kruger is merciless and effects everyone to a certain degree.

SolusLunes posted:

I'll have you know that other peoples opinions are the cancer that's destroying the bedrock of Truth, Justice, and the American JPEG.

I fixed your post, free of charge. See now it works for everyone.