Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jj’s not bad but he never suffered a day in his life so he has nothing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

So you're telling me DISNEY of all companies allowed a plan for their most lucrative franchise to be derailed by... whom? for what? against what opposition??

As I said, it's rumors, limited context tweets, and interviews with people who aren't supposed to say much even if they know anything, but here's how it supposedly goes, as best I can tell.

1) JJ has a plan. The amount of fleshed out is probably low, given his track record, but there's a basic outline of what happens in each film, even if it's just "Snoke shows up, it turns out Crix Madine was a Cylon this whole time, Rey finds the secret blend of herbs and spices."

2) Rian Johnson has ideas that the higher ups like that don't fit with the rough existing plan. Early reception is positive and he manages to actually finish a film on budget and ahead of schedule, which given the clusterfucks that have haunted production previously makes him seem like the chosen one. Meanwhile, Colin Trevorrow puts out Book of Henry, so keeping to the plan they sold him on... is not a priority.

3) Disney plans to give him his own trilogy, keep going forward on strong reception of Last Jedi. Having to adjust things a little is fine, because they're guaranteed a fanbase.

4) Last Jedi is less well received than hoped.

5) Solo flops.

6) gently caress.

It's important to remember that Disney isn't a monolith. Like a lot of big companies, it's a collection of fiefdoms, and if what I've read is right, they tend to be left to their own devices when they're working. Even if Rogue 1 and The Force Awakens had behind the scenes drama, in the end they produced generally well received movies that sold above expectations. They get a lot of leeway for that.

And, let's be honest. Even the scraps that we get say that Lucasfilms has been a loving mess behind the scenes for the past few years. More directors fired than manage to finish films, extensive reshoots, ballooning budgets, whole thing. Assuming that Disney would keep an iron grip on anything in that environment seems... questionable.

I mean, Marvel constantly announces changes to their long term. Like how Thanos and Nick Fury first showed up basically on a whim before they became the centerpieces for plans, or how Inhumans stuff got tossed in the dumpster. Plans change.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Keep in mind TLJ had a weird delay backlash. All the early feedback were good, the critics totally kowtowed to Disney with a 90+ score. And fans didn't realized how much it recon until days later.

It was a delicious looking poo poo sandwich.

Even Solo had a "record breaking memorial weekend" forecast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

2) Rian Johnson has ideas that the higher ups like that don't fit with the rough existing plan. Early reception is positive and he manages to actually finish a film on budget and ahead of schedule, which given the clusterfucks that have haunted production previously makes him seem like the chosen one. Meanwhile, Colin Trevorrow puts out Book of Henry, so keeping to the plan they sold him on... is not a priority.

3) Disney plans to give him his own trilogy, keep going forward on strong reception of Last Jedi. Having to adjust things a little is fine, because they're guaranteed a fanbase.

I believe Johnson was announced as being engaged to write the story (though possible not the screenplay) for Episode IX at one stage, but I think that was back before Colin Trevorrow was fired, never mind before Carrie Fisher died. I'm not sure how that was going to work or when that changed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doronin posted:

I'm rewatching TFA, and how does the Starkiller Base laser work? From one origin it fires once, and an energy beam can split into 5 perfectly aimed splinter beams?

It has a special crystal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Death Star has a bunch of lasers that combine into one laser that can be aimed at individual ships.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

chiasaur11 posted:

As I said, it's rumors, limited context tweets, and interviews with people who aren't supposed to say much even if they know anything, but here's how it supposedly goes, as best I can tell.

1) JJ has a plan. The amount of fleshed out is probably low, given his track record, but there's a basic outline of what happens in each film, even if it's just "Snoke shows up, it turns out Crix Madine was a Cylon this whole time, Rey finds the secret blend of herbs and spices."

4) Last Jedi is less well received than hoped.

5) Solo flops.

6) gently caress.

It's important to remember that Disney isn't a monolith. Like a lot of big companies, it's a collection of fiefdoms, and if what I've read is right, they tend to be left to their own devices when they're working. Even if Rogue 1 and The Force Awakens had behind the scenes drama, in the end they produced generally well received movies that sold above expectations. They get a lot of leeway for that.

And, let's be honest. Even the scraps that we get say that Lucasfilms has been a loving mess behind the scenes for the past few years. More directors fired than manage to finish films, extensive reshoots, ballooning budgets, whole thing. Assuming that Disney would keep an iron grip on anything in that environment seems... questionable.

I mean, Marvel constantly announces changes to their long term. Like how Thanos and Nick Fury first showed up basically on a whim before they became the centerpieces for plans, or how Inhumans stuff got tossed in the dumpster. Plans change.

1> When JJ Abrams comes to you with a loose pile of ideas, you send him back and say no, you need to frame this out better, you have a lovely track record. I want a 20 page treatment of the each of the sequels at a minimum before you get to touch a camera.

2> Johnson's ideas, which I assume were the driving force behind the themes and execution of TLJ, were basically all horrible. It is difficult to believe no one recognized this. Character, plotting, dialogue, all fall absolutely flat. It's all bad enough that it should have been evidently poo poo on the page, and rejected.

You hired two dudes who are either extremely poorly equipped to make this sort of film, and/or have a skillset that's going to force them to pull in a direction that doesn't quite work. Sure, I guess BRICK and LOOPER were pretty good, but that doesn't translate to this kind of story, clearly.

Neither JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson are good writers, by any stretch. Say what you want about the original trilogy borrowing heavily from prior work or being overly archetypal, the writing was rarely outright lazy like TFA and TLJ's was.

The more I think about it the more I think it's just lost. The driving force behind making STAR WARS was Lucas's incredible passion for all of the material he borrowed from, all of which was fantastic in its own right. The driving force behind the poo poo we're getting now is purely financial and empire building.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To the extent that there's a problem (I liked the movies so I disagree on that point, but whatever) it's that Abrams and Johnson are fans of Star Wars first and fans of the things that went into Star Wars - the things George Lucas was a fan of - second.

I think that's what a lot of complaints about the prequels boiled down to, to be honest - Lucas made the movies he wanted to make rather than the movies Star Wars fans wanted him to make.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Johnson at the very least is getting deep into the "what makes a Star War a Star War" mindset in prep for his trilogy:

quote:

"I'm looking at everything right now. I'm honestly just in this very nice 'OK, what is this thing going to be?' phase. Really, the only goal I have is to think about how Star Wars made me feel as a kid. And that's it. I'm trying to capture: what is that, if it's not iconography that we recognize, necessarily, from the original trilogy? What captures that spirit? What can be that for a kid who's never heard of Star Wars? It's getting back to the very fundamental questions of what makes this what it is."

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a853821/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-plans-approach/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This series is doomed.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

exquisite tea posted:

This series is doomed.

Good

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

When hasn’t it been doomed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well, at least the first two were pretty all right.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah those Ewok movies were decent

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Holiday Special was peak Star Wars

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

This series is doomed.

I honestly have no idea because I have almost no notion of Star Wars outside Something Awful.

I suppose there must be some.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Fire JJ. Hire Blomkamp to run the series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bring back George Lucas

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

#releasethelucascut

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

late-stage capitalist media empire makes...bad movies?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*thick french accent* All blockbusters are inherently exploitative

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

*thick french accent* All blockbusters are inherently exploitative

We should hold that Lucas guy to account for helping to invent them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

late-stage capitalist media empire makes...bad movies?

worse than bad, it makes forgettable movies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They'll halt all development by New Year's Eve 2020 after Episode IX flops, which I remain reasonably confident it will, at least inasmuch as it'll underperform TLJ and fail to make a billion dollars.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

IX will do fine unless your expectations are for it to hit TFA money, cause I think they're not getting that lighting in a bottle twice unless they're willing to stop making star wars long enough for people to miss it

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Y'all are forgetting that JJ can cut a mean-rear end trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

IX will do fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We will see.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Ep IX is going to be marketed to death as THE CONCLUSION or something like that. Even though we all know this franchise is going to get run into the ground. But I imagine the END OF THE SKYWALKERS or however they couch it is going to get people out to see it. Underperform? Maybe. Outright flop? Not sure if possible. Even the really toxic fans will probably buy a ticket just so they can go online afterward and bitch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Infinity War 2 will be bigger, obviously. In fact, there are several movies in 2019 which I think will potentially be bigger than Episode IX. Captain Marvel, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2 and Lion King at least. In any event it will be difficult to bounce back from the one-two punch of TLJ disappointing and being divisive and Solo bombing like Sir Arthur Harris.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm actually kinda expecting Infinity War 2 to pull a TLJ; ridiculous opening weekend numbers, relatively-steep drop-off because there's no way they craft a conclusion to that cliffhanger that doesn't piss a bunch of people off.

The other films I'm less confident in making hot takes about since their marketing cycles have yet to begin

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On further reflection, I think Lion King is probably going to be the biggest movie of 2019. Then Avengers. Episode IX will probably be in the top five but it probably won't be in the top three. It has too much baggage.

Edit: Obviously one outcome will be that Johnson's trilogy has a good chance of getting canned outright, because Lucasfilm and Disney will trace the underperformance of Episode IX back to TLJ.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 20, 2018

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
do you mean marvel captain marvel or shazam captain marvel

prolly the former since no way is a (non-ww) dc movie outperforming a disney movie, dwayne johnson or no

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the Marvel one.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm not fussed how much the next star wars makes.

Regarding princess Leia is there no such thing as a Force Face Swap she can do? like maybe she gets zapped in the face right at the start with some of that force lightning, goes all wrinkly and minging so uses the force to fix herself into, I dunno, Jennifer Lawrence and off we go.

I'm no star wars expert, although I do hope to be an X-wing when I grow up, but this seems like as neat and ridiculous a way to handle things as any.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Leia will be a central character in IX but always be just out of frame from whoever she's talking to. All her dialogue will suspiciously sound like out of context recordings of Carrie Fisher.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

galagazombie posted:

Leia will be a central character in IX but always be just out of frame from whoever she's talking to. All her dialogue will suspiciously sound like out of context recordings of Carrie Fisher.

In a startling turn of events Disney secures Godfrey Ho to complete Episode IX.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m still sad that Carrie Fisher died

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If they had any balls whatsoever, they’d shoot most of it with POV shots and call it Leia: Messenger of the Force.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If they had any balls whatsoever, they’d shoot most of it with POV shots and call it Leia: Messenger of the Force.

Found footage shot long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sorry the found footage gimmick is dead and gone