Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So whats the cheapest way to get reaktor? I dont really want any of the other ni stuff, tbh

E: actually i wouldnt mind fm8 either

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

field balm posted:

So whats the cheapest way to get reaktor? I dont really want any of the other ni stuff, tbh

You can sometimes get license transfers of individual products on KVR's "Sell and Buy" forum. I've bought plugins that way before.

Also, in June/July Native Instruments often has a big sale, sometimes offering 50% off on individual items.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

So whats the cheapest way to get reaktor?

Seconding Radiapathy: check KVRAudio's marketplace to see if someone's selling a secondhand license. NI is really chill about license transfers.

quote:

I dont really want any of the other ni stuff, tbh

The rule of thumb is sort of - if you want Kontakt and another plugin, buying Komplete is much more sensible, because Kontakt alone is 400 and K11 regular is 600, and the extra stuff you get is really worth it even if you don't see yourself using it much. I can't recall the last time I opened up Absynth, to be honest, but then again I own already too many plugins and Serum is capable of taking that role.

NI really really wants you to buy the whole shebang because then you can be enticed to pay 200 euros to upgrade every year or so (or less during summer and fall promotions). It would not surprise me if they're waiting for Roland to see how that cloud poo poo works out because I'd wager they'd want to move to subscription-based in a heartbeat.

However, you just want Reaktor and perhaps FM8. That adds up to 350, and 600 is then still too far away to make the jump.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

field balm posted:

i have a crossgrade serial

edit: that I could sell, I mean

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 3, 2018

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The summer Native Instruments sale is on right now. Big discounts on KK/Maschine hardware+Komplete bundles. Also 50% off Komplete bundle upgrades and individual Komplete products.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/summer-of-sound-2018/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Radiapathy posted:

The summer Native Instruments sale is on right now. Big discounts on KK/Maschine hardware+Komplete bundles. Also 50% off Komplete bundle upgrades and individual Komplete products.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/summer-of-sound-2018/

No discount on non-upgrade purchases, sadly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can also crossgrade to full Kontakt 5 for 50% off (so 125EUR) if you own any licensed Kontakt Player library.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

No discount on non-upgrade purchases, sadly.
Yep, sales on new purchases of Komplete are pretty rare. (It's only happened 8 times since Komplete bundles were introduced in 2003.)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another Kontakt question: I've added a library and it seems to have crashed Kontakt... Every time I try to launch it in standalone it crashes right away. Deleting my .com.native-instruments... file in Preferences didn't work, deleting the Kontakt database folder didn't work either. Odd thing is that the library definitely installed - using a different version of K5 in VST mode in Ableton, I can see it in the library list. Any ideas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
After a complete system reinitialization, I spent all of yesterday reinstalling and reauthorizing everything. I've got most all of my VSTs sorted except one stubborn piece of NI software: Battery 3. I've installed it from the DVD (ancient, I know) but opening it prompts to launch ServiceCenter - I'm pretty sure SC is no longer supported in the wake of Native Access, which would explain why it crashes on launch. Service Center sees that it's installed, it's in my Applications folder and the plugin files are where they should be, but it's still invisible to Live. I've tried manually uninstalling the software and going through Native Access but it doesn't let me reinstall.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

After a complete system reinitialization, I spent all of yesterday reinstalling and reauthorizing everything. I've got most all of my VSTs sorted except one stubborn piece of NI software: Battery 3. I've installed it from the DVD (ancient, I know) but opening it prompts to launch ServiceCenter - I'm pretty sure SC is no longer supported in the wake of Native Access, which would explain why it crashes on launch. Service Center sees that it's installed, it's in my Applications folder and the plugin files are where they should be, but it's still invisible to Live. I've tried manually uninstalling the software and going through Native Access but it doesn't let me reinstall.
Service Center is still supported for legacy products (and Native Access doesn't support any 1st-party product that was discontinued before Komplete 10). You will want to make sure it's the most recent version (i.e. not from the CD): https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/#niservicecenter

Have you launched Battery 3 in stand-alone mode? If there's an activation issue, you will know then. If stand-alone works, the plugin should work.

Sounds like you might be on a Mac, but at least on Windows, Live only supports a single VST plugins folder, and the latest version is 64-bit only, and thus only supports 64-bit plugins. Some early Battery 3 releases were probably 32-bit only... don't know which discs you're using. (I installed mine from the Komplete 8 Ultimate installer.)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've tried launching it in standalone mode, like I said that's where I'm prompted to run ServiceCenter. Yeah I'm on a Mac. Trying the legacy SC download now, thanks.

EDIT: That worked, thank you so much. Oddly, SC asked to update (even from the latest download version) but after a few tries the option to launch without updating appeared. B3 was updated to 3.2.3 and now the standalone app and plugin both work. Thanks!

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Does anyone here use Antares AutoTune? I was wondering if for basic pitch-correction, the AutoTune EFX3 would work instead of AutoTune Pro. It's quite a difference in price, and I don't think I need much more than the basic pitch correction. Basically, I want to be able to sing some hooks/melodies for background to some of my productions. I am not the best singer, but would like to be able to experiment around with singing into the AutoTune and messing with the humanize aspect to get the quality I am looking for.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

MrSargent posted:

It's quite a difference in price, and I don't think I need much more than the basic pitch correction. Basically, I want to be able to sing some hooks/melodies for background to some of my productions. I am not the best singer, but would like to be able to experiment around with singing into the AutoTune and messing with the humanize aspect to get the quality I am looking for.
I have used Autotune EFX in Ableton Live projects, since Live doesn't have integrated tuning. It works out of the box pretty well if you're reasonably close to the original pitch (but occasionally requires some automation or MIDI control). It's not exactly a transparent-sounding solution, but drat good considering it's real-time and requires very little hands-on work. Ideal for background vocals, IMO.

In Cubase I use the built-in VariAudio but it is a LOT of work to get good results (usually two nights of cleaning up stems, rendering with compression, then quantizing/segmenting/straightening pitches). (In cases where I have harmonized parts or background vocals, I also use Revoice Pro, which is at least one more night of exporting/aligning/importing.)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Radiapathy posted:

I have used Autotune EFX in Ableton Live projects, since Live doesn't have integrated tuning. It works out of the box pretty well if you're reasonably close to the original pitch (but occasionally requires some automation or MIDI control). It's not exactly a transparent-sounding solution, but drat good considering it's real-time and requires very little hands-on work. Ideal for background vocals, IMO.

In Cubase I use the built-in VariAudio but it is a LOT of work to get good results (usually two nights of cleaning up stems, rendering with compression, then quantizing/segmenting/straightening pitches). (In cases where I have harmonized parts or background vocals, I also use Revoice Pro, which is at least one more night of exporting/aligning/importing.)

Thanks a lot for the response, this helps a ton. Think I am gonna go ahead and buy the EFX3 sometime soon since I work primarily in Ableton and don't have any other tuning options.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Just thought I would share this after browsing around the Antares website. I was looking at the AutoTune EFX3 vs. the AutoTune Live and noticed that if you purchase EFX3, there is a special upgrade price to go from the EFX3 to AutoTune Live. It's great to know that if I ever found the lighter version too limiting, I could upgrade to the next version at a reduced cost.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Just thought I would share this after browsing around the Antares website. I was looking at the AutoTune EFX3 vs. the AutoTune Live and noticed that if you purchase EFX3, there is a special upgrade price to go from the EFX3 to AutoTune Live. It's great to know that if I ever found the lighter version too limiting, I could upgrade to the next version at a reduced cost.
Are you Windows or Mac, by the way? Because on Macs, all Antares products work on Ableton Live, while on Windows several of them are VST3 only, which Live doesn't support. EFX is both VST2 and VST3 so it works fine on Live, but I think Autotune Live and Autotune Pro are VST3-only for Windows.
https://www.antarestech.com/host-daw-compatibility/

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

Are you Windows or Mac, by the way? Because on Macs, all Antares products work on Ableton Live, while on Windows several of them are VST3 only, which Live doesn't support. EFX is both VST2 and VST3 so it works fine on Live, but I think Autotune Live and Autotune Pro are VST3-only for Windows.
https://www.antarestech.com/host-daw-compatibility/

Woah, thanks a ton for the heads up. I guess I never thought a product that is as huge as Antares AutoTune would have compatibility issues with one of the top DAWs. Looks like the only one that is compatible with Windows/Ableton is the EFX3. That should be good for my purposes, but it is a shame I won't have the option to upgrade unless they decide to add support.

Edit: Do you know much about why Ableton doesn't support VST3 yet, or why Antares Live/Pro don't have VST2 versions?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all there's a flash sale on SoundToy's FilterFreak:

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/filterfreak/https://www.soundtoys.com/product/filterfreak/

Normally $149, now $29, and universally agreed to be excellent.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trig Discipline posted:

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/filterfreak/https://www.soundtoys.com/product/filterfreak/

All of Soundtoys' poo poo is amazing and I'm still blown away that I got the whole bundle for as cheap as I did. Feels like I stole it but I actually didn't.

I've been using a few of their plugins on every track of the album I'm currently working on, especially Decapitator which does wonders for certain instruments. I don't know how I used to make music without it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
decapitator IS especially excellent.

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 19, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

How does the FilterFreak do with hogging CPU? I grabbed the Arturia Mini Filter V when it was free a while back and that thing can really suck the performance out of Ableton. I have no issues with Decapitator and love it so would definitely like to get their Filter.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't know; I have some plugins that are serious CPU hogs, but I can't recall ever having that issue with a Soundtoys plugin. Could be wrong, though.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

it's fine on the cpu. overdriving any of those plugins is a little like decapitator lite. if you want something to get you in the neighborhood for 30 bucks that's a great opportunity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

None of the VSTs I use give me any issues except for Ozone 8's various modules, but then again, I'm not using an audio interface when I really should be.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ended up grabbing FilterFreak and holy poo poo was it worth it. I just threw it on a sample I had looped, changed the analog type, and adjusted the input/output and it already makes a WORLD of difference. Can't wait to dig into it more but I have a feeling this might be like Decapitator where I just start throwing it on everything.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For anyone getting it, just know that there's a whole other set of controls for the rhythm editor that are not visible when you first open it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5JjuALPiE&t=79s

I think I had Soundtoys for like a frickin' year before I learned about this.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Opening any Rhythmic preset reveals those options tho. I recommend studying them, because you can even make a synchronized Decapitator-lite gate out of this - set the filter to dry, level mod to the max, turn on Rhythm mode and you've got yourself a tremolo overdrive.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stumbled onto this "TB4005" freebie vst. It's pretty cool. Not too versatile, but insta-classic sound (link's got demo mp3s). Makes me nostalgic for Buzz.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Regroover for free deal is on again, this time on the official site.

https://accusonus.com/lp/presonus-regroover-offer-2018

The plugin is pretty cool and does what's advertised (there's often a massive comb effect on tonal samples, but they're still usable if you're doing more experimental electronic stuff), but I don't find myself using it as often as I thought I would. Just one to add to the arsenal.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Seriously, gently caress Waves. (And also gently caress Windows 10.)

Windows 10 decided to stop going to sleep for me, and after several days of troubleshooting I also discovered that my Win 10 build installed with Windows system restore disabled by default, so I had no restore points to go back to. So after spending weeks getting all my NKS instruments installed and working properly in Komplete Kontrol and Maschine I had to format the whole loving thing and start from scratch.

Anyway, Waves. All of my plugins are "V9" licenses. There is literally zero reason for me to upgrade to V10 at the moment.

Cool thing: If you have V9 plugins and you need to do a fresh install on a new PC you can't use Waves Central anymore- it only supports V10. Instead you have to download a 3.5GB offline installer. Inside you find a "Waves Central L" program (the "L" is for Legacy), that looks like the normal Waves Central, only it doesn't have the "Easy Install" feature that installs all the plugins you're already licensed for. No, you have to go through the entire catalog of Waves products and pick the ones you own individually. If you are a sale-buying dumbfuck like me you probably have over a hundred separate Waves products... which you now have to pick out individually.

My bright idea: Open up my "My Products" page at Waves.com in a browser to help me pick the right products. Wave's cool response: The product names on your Waves account don't match the names in Waves Central. So you can't just go down the product list alphabetically, you have to keep searching and scrolling through the catalog to find what you own.

I didn't even get into the hosed up way Waves is handling license upgrades (the site is explicitly designed to make it agony for people who want to save $$$ on WUP upgrades), but I posted screenshot of that on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/8qbi6x/if_you_check_the_box_that_saves_you_hundreds_on/

gently caress. YOU. WAVES.

I wish I could fire this company, but I use a lot of their plugs all the time, and don't really know good replacements for some.

EDIT: Oh! And the install media for build 1803 of Windows 10 now FORCES YOU to set a PIN to log on to Windows instead of your password. It used to be you could just skip that step. Then they made it so you at least had to START setting a PIN, but then you could back out of that screen and THEN skip it. But now, there is literally no way to avoid setting a PIN before they even let you log on to your PC for the first time. I thought I was clever and immediately removed the PIN once I was finally able to log on. Know what happens if you do that? They launch a "Set a PIN" wizard EVERY TIME YOU LOG ON after that until you finally submit and set a PIN. So now I have a much less secure password on my PC than my actual Windows account password.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 24, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had such a lovely time with Waves copy protection that my experience was literally part of a Congressional submission by the EFF in support of some sort of regulation requiring companies to refund money based on broken DRM. It’s absolute garbage and they will never get another dollar from me.

Oh yeah, part of that experience was them refusing to post my review of the plugin, presumably because I ranted about their poo poo DRM.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
waves can eat a dick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My friend who runs a studio loving swears by Waves but I've never once gotten their stuff to run on my machine.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I have a couple Waves Plugins that I really like and use all the time like the Scheps 73 and Aphex Vintage Exciter. Was thinking about picking up the Renaissance Bass plugin since it is on sale for $39 and I have seen it work wonders on sub-bass. Are there other companies like Waves that can compete with their quality of plugins? I know there are a million things wrong with the way they sell software, but I don't think anyone here has ever said anything bad about the plugins themselves.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Same with the Schepps 73 and also the BSS DPR 402

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jimmy Hellfire over at VI-C posted:

Check your plugins' versions. Is it something below 10, like V9.2.0 or something?
If yes, go to "downloads" --> "legacy versions". Click on Version 9, pick the one that corresponds with your plugins' version. Download.
Inside Waves Central, go to "install" --> left panel: "select offline installer" --> navigate to the previously downloaded file.
Pick your plugins from the list, install - done. Do not update to V10.

They do have money to burn.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Are there other companies like Waves that can compete with their quality of plugins?

UAD stomps Waves IMO but it requires dedicated hardware.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

NI is now offering one of their rare discounts on new Komplete purchases (20% off Komplete and Komplete Ultimate).

They commonly do this to clear inventory before new Komplete releases (and I am expecting Komplete 12 to drop around Sept/Oct). Note that NI doesn't do "grace period" upgrades, so buying K11 now will likely not grant you a free upgrade to K12- however their upgrade prices tend to be pretty fair in terms of products/dollars.

Speaking of K12, for a brief time the Native Access product database actually had entries for Komplete 12 standard and ultimate. I have updated my comparison of all Komplete releases with the new info. Looks like they're gonna start including expansions as Komplete ingredients now... and sounds like Kontakt 6 is finally on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

NI is now offering one of their rare discounts on new Komplete purchases (20% off Komplete and Komplete Ultimate).

They commonly do this to clear inventory before new Komplete releases (and I am expecting Komplete 12 to drop around Sept/Oct). Note that NI doesn't do "grace period" upgrades, so buying K11 now will likely not grant you a free upgrade to K12- however their upgrade prices tend to be pretty fair in terms of products/dollars.

Speaking of K12, for a brief time the Native Access product database actually had entries for Komplete 12 standard and ultimate. I have updated my comparison of all Komplete releases with the new info. Looks like they're gonna start including expansions as Komplete ingredients now... and sounds like Kontakt 6 is finally on the way.

Oooooh Kontakt 6! I've been pestering them for MPE support for years now, I wonder if they've finally done it now that it's part of the MIDI spec? Doubt I'd be upgrading the whole of Komplete just for that, but I would definitely drop some money just to update Kontakt.