Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

General thoughts on French cruisers? I'm up to tier 7 on the tree, and I've liked them fine so far but if they become completely poo poo or something it might be more worth my time to play German cruisers (up to tier 6, also enjoying) or British cruisers (tier 5, having fun) instead of wasting my time on an exponential grind.

E: also, I just realized I have never played French battleships and practically never Japanese ones. Is either tree worth climbing? I'm up to tier 8 on British BBs, tier 6 on US BBs and tier 7 on Germans.

The Lyon is probably op but it's boring as gently caress. The t8-10 French BBs are all insanely fun if less competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Der Shovel posted:

General thoughts on French cruisers? I'm up to tier 7 on the tree, and I've liked them fine so far but if they become completely poo poo or something it might be more worth my time to play German cruisers (up to tier 6, also enjoying) or British cruisers (tier 5, having fun) instead of wasting my time on an exponential grind.

E: also, I just realized I have never played French battleships and practically never Japanese ones. Is either tree worth climbing? I'm up to tier 8 on British BBs, tier 6 on US BBs and tier 7 on Germans.

I absolutely love the Henri IV. Rarely will you get a sub-100k damage game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

The Lyon is probably op but it's boring as gently caress. The t8-10 French BBs are all insanely fun if less competitive.

French Battleships from Richelieu on are the bane of German cruisers and also French cruisers. Republique is a commonly used battleship for clan battles, so there's that.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Alsace is easily the best tier 9 battleship. Republique is also great, but you'll need to get used to the unusual number and arrangement of guns.

French cruisers are fine, but the way they work (consistent damage over time) means they're a lot harder to make game-winning plays with.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

davejk posted:

Alsace is easily the best tier 9 battleship. Republique is also great, but you'll need to get used to the unusual number and arrangement of guns.

French cruisers are fine, but the way they work (consistent damage over time) means they're a lot harder to make game-winning plays with.

The Henry is pretty meh, tbh. The Charles Martel on the other hand is one of the best cruisers in the game. Easily the most
fun Tier VIII cruiser.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Der Shovel posted:

I've ground up to the Lyon in the French BB line and so far I am finding the baguettes to be good and fun boats. The Lyon especially is a blast to play. It's guns aren't anything to write home about, but being able to vomit 16 shell broadsides makes for some fun shenanigans. It's not a German style point blank brawler, but if you play a little aggressive and pick 10-13km fights you can put out some respectable damage against BBs, and god help any cruiser that shows you broadside.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Lately I've been trying to do a positive reinforcement thing where instead of calling my team hell morons I say nice things when people play good and drop a ggwp at the end of every win.

My karma has dropped by 10-15 since I started doing this. My conclusion is that everyone who plays this game is a hell moron.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bloom posted:

Lately I've been trying to do a positive reinforcement thing where instead of calling my team hell morons I say nice things when people play good and drop a ggwp at the end of every win.

My karma has dropped by 10-15 since I started doing this. My conclusion is that everyone who plays this game is a hell moron.

lol if you ever had positive karma in the first place.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a naive optimist who despite all evidence believes internet videogames don't have to be hateful cesspools.

The wows community is doing its best to prove me wrong.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I don't care if it does or doesn't I'm not going to stoop to that point. It is not a loving crime to be bad at a video game. I will occasionally lose my poo poo at someone who like, just torps right into me like they literally didn't see someone directly in front of their face. Otherwise though, whatever man. It's a drat game.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, honestly I'm not entirely comfortable with the toxic attitude a lot of goons have in this game. I get that it gets frustrating at times but at that point you really should take a break instead of hurling abuse at people.

Before my little experiment I mostly ignored the chat. Probably going back to that because being nice obviously doesn't pay.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I don't know what's happening with you there, I don't get those spite votes when I'm pleasant. Real string of bitter assholes, I guess

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

toadee posted:

It is not a loving crime to be bad at a video game.

It should be. :colbert:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

El Disco posted:

It should be. :colbert:

Ive mentioned it in here before but I play a lot in divisions with my dad (in his 70s) and my nephew (age 12). They are both really not good at the game, and it's totally fine. Like my solo WR is 53% or something (although more like 58+ recently), and in divisions with them I'm at like, 40%. It really puts it into perspective. It sucks that like, my dad has to feel guilty about playing a game with me because people spew bullshit at him in chat and then he has to go and say "oh Dave Im sorry Im dragging you down all the time" and like no man I genuinely don't loving care, because it's way more fun playing with him. So, the toxic poo poo really loving bugs me on a personal level. Just shut the gently caress up about how skilled someone is at a loving video game, it's not hard. Sorry if you were just joking there, but again, it really does get to me on a personal level.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If you all are using a voip service to talk there is a mod that hides the chat window. I’ve been using it some since 0.7.5 dropped and it hasn’t negatively impacted my gameplay. That way your old man doesn’t have to deal with that crap.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol if you ever had positive karma in the first place.

Positive karma means more reports! I'm closing in on 150 somehow. I rarely speak to randoms in game. But I do burn all my reports every time I play for completionist credit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I have like +250? ish somehow?

:yayclod: :sun:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile I came back to this after 3 years and I'm wondering where the heck all of my fancy botes have come from. And why I don't have anything above tier 5 when I was pretty sure I was getting into the Fuso.

It's a hell of a time when your strongest memories of a game is from the freakin' Beta.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

There's a special place in hell for people who run Atlanta-Belfast-Saipan divisions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I feel oddly superior for getting the latest Indy achievement in an Asashio battle where I sniped two enemy DDs and didn't score a single torpedo hit.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Played a game in clevland. Had a shokaku o n our team against enterprise.we pushed them and sank their cv. Our cv had total reign at that point. Came down to a another clevland shokaku against 2 battle damaged nagatos. Our cv had most of his planes. Natagos should have been easy pickings for him. So he sends his planes 1 squad at a time. Autodropping. Fails miserably. It was unfortunate i only realized our cv was Warbeasty after the battle.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The comedy being there's actually a WARBESTY on NA too, who's got a W/R in the 70s. Y'know, just to troll those people who don't notice the missing A.

As for getting annoyed with bad players, yeah some people are trying their best and are just bad/inexperienced/whatever, but if someone's in a battleship, immediately runs for the western edge and proceeds to border hug down to the SW corner before continuing to border hug the southern edge, legitimately find another game to play. Because you are actively wasting your own time being useless in an incredibly boring way, and wasting the time of everyone else on your team as well, having to basically be a ship down. See also: DDs pulling similar stuff, also refusing to go anywhere near caps; any (non-CV) class hiding behind an island 15km away from anything while at full health; etc, etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've never been "Fortunate" enough to see Warbeasty in a game, but have definitely been in matches with WARBESTY. I made sure to compliment him on the name because that's pro tier CV trolling.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've gotten into ranked games with WARBEASTY. On my team.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those who actually got into this game through Steam, they currently have a deal for some containers if you want to bind your e-mail.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/552990/announcements/detail/3219392883441815048

For everyone else who set up a WG account well before then... get hosed I guess??

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought the MM was supposed to balance out DDs these days?

This was with 9k+ people online and it made the match immediately so it shouldn't be due to queue times either.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

bloom posted:

I thought the MM was supposed to balance out DDs these days?

This was with 9k+ people online and it made the match immediately so it shouldn't be due to queue times either.

There are other factors, like how long the person waiting the longest has been in the queue... and this, in turn, is affected by who is queued in what.

You see this in action every time you get a 6v6, or some such, with CVs. This is because one of those CV players has been sitting there for 4 1/2 minutes, so the moment another player queues in a CV of the same tier, MM just grabs whoever is in the tier range and throws them in a match.

Similarly you can see this in action every time a new line or ship (*cough* Tier VIII Cleveland *cough*) comes out and you have 100 people queued in say, a Tier VIII cruiser.

MM tries to build balanced teams, but eventually someone in that cruiser queue hits the 3 or 4 minute wait mark and MM shits itself to get that person from the queue to a match in its promised 5 minutes.

So poo poo like that is always happening... queue in a tier VII dd, but not enough other people have, and eventually MM will just throw you into a slightly unbalanced (tier wise) match.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

toadee posted:

Sorry if you were just joking there, but again, it really does get to me on a personal level.

Yeah I'm not advocating for it to be a literal crime to be bad at videogames.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Heartcatch posted:

Arsenal is kind of stupid, but they have to consider the consolation prize for baddies. I disagree with them offering up the Ranked and CB boats, but what can one do? Besides, the grinds for those are hellish.

I have the complete opposite viewpoint. The Stalingrad was a horrendous idea to be locked to Typhoon league clans only, since that meant you had to join a Typhoon capable clan. Making a clan Typhoon capable is a lot harder than just joining one full of good players already. Hence, why DUNKN/BOATC lost quite a few of our good players. We could have potentially been Typhoon capable, but too many nerds left for other clans leaving us hard up for people wanting to Clam Wars regularly and NOT DOING IT DRUNK (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).

I was legitimately considering leaving BOATC to join a Typhoon clan next season, but now with Arsenal announced, I don't have to. I can get steel from other sources to pick up the Stalingrad or whatever other Steel-Only boat they decide to toss out, which is great, and means i can continue boating with friends, and not considering how to be a tryhard. That's a lot of pressure off my shoulders.

There's a very distinct line between "this economy system promotes good players" such as lots of XP for capping and killing, faster campaign clearing if you can do the hard tasks to get more stars, etc... and "YOU MUST HAVE A TEAM OF 7 NEAR-UNICUM PLAYERS WHO ARE WILLING TO GRIND FOR A MONTH OF GAMES AT VERY SPECIFIC TIMES TO GET 1/3RD OF THIS BOAT".

davejk posted:

You can only get the ranked reward ships and Stalingrad for steel, not coal. The only way to earn that (in any useful volume) is getting 30 wins in Typhoon league or reaching rank 1, so it doesn't really make them any easier to get than before.

The ships you can buy with coal are Salem, Musashi, Aigle, Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, Yubari, and Campbeltown. Salem will probably take the better part of a year of grinding to save up for, which is pretty absurd considering it's just a Des Moines with slightly different consumables.

You get Steel for R1 in Ranked, but the CW missions all give Steel, not just getting the Typhoon one done. I imagine you'll get the biggest stipend of Steel from it, however. You can also get Steel from Supercontainers. Its also likely there will be some events that give Steel at some point in the future.

As for the Coal boats:

Salem: You can't get it elsewhere, so its ok to buy. Its not anything special though.
Aigle: Its... kinda bad.
Gangut: RUSSIAN BIAS (except not really)
Yubari: REALLY BAD. But has a unique niche in Defensive Fire at T4, and stupidly, STUPIDLY accurate guns. If you want to practice hitting DDs with ranged gunfire, use the Yubari. You can also practice getting citadeled by BBs too!
Campbeltown: Why
Musashi: Probably better to coal this than waste your free xp, to be honest.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 21, 2018

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

ZombieLenin posted:

There are other factors, like how long the person waiting the longest has been in the queue... and this, in turn, is affected by who is queued in what.

You see this in action every time you get a 6v6, or some such, with CVs. This is because one of those CV players has been sitting there for 4 1/2 minutes, so the moment another player queues in a CV of the same tier, MM just grabs whoever is in the tier range and throws them in a match.

EU. We never get 6v6 games. :smug:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

I have the complete opposite viewpoint. The Stalingrad was a horrendous idea to be locked to Typhoon league clans only, since that meant you had to join a Typhoon capable clan. Making a clan Typhoon capable is a lot harder than just joining one full of good players already. Hence, why DUNKN/BOATC lost quite a few of our good players. We could have potentially been Typhoon capable, but too many nerds left for other clans leaving us hard up for people wanting to Clam Wars regularly and NOT DOING IT DRUNK (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).

I was legitimately considering leaving BOATC to join a Typhoon clan next season, but now with Arsenal announced, I don't have to. I can get steel from other sources to pick up the Stalingrad or whatever other Steel-Only boat they decide to toss out, which is great, and means i can continue boating with friends, and not considering how to be a tryhard. That's a lot of pressure off my shoulders.

There's a very distinct line between "this economy system promotes good players" such as lots of XP for capping and killing, faster campaign clearing if you can do the hard tasks to get more stars, etc... and "YOU MUST HAVE A TEAM OF 7 NEAR-UNICUM PLAYERS WHO ARE WILLING TO GRIND FOR A MONTH OF GAMES AT VERY SPECIFIC TIMES TO GET 1/3RD OF THIS BOAT".

Well, that's not the only reason.

In any case, while we must agree to disagree about how rewards are parceled out, at the very least the steel grind for any steel-only ships will be somewhat hellish which alleviates the potential problem of everyone having Stalingrad and it probably does reduce complaints about favouring "elites". There are a lot more unicum players in boats than there were tanks though, you could definitely try recruiting but it might be too late. All of the influential clans are pretty much chained together despite members flowing between them at times.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Similarly you can see this in action every time a new line or ship (*cough* Tier VIII Cleveland *cough*) comes out and you have 100 people queued in say, a Tier VIII cruiser.

MM tries to build balanced teams, but eventually someone in that cruiser queue hits the 3 or 4 minute wait mark and MM shits itself to get that person from the queue to a match in its promised 5 minutes.

So poo poo like that is always happening... queue in a tier VII dd, but not enough other people have, and eventually MM will just throw you into a slightly unbalanced (tier wise) match.

Stop covering for WG, their MM is utter and complete garbage. I've gone from a 5 DD per side match to one with 7 BBs and only 1 DD per side. During high access hours and in the same tier range no less. This week. The only thing they managed to eventually get it to do in 3 years was at least generally balance the tiering within the specific classes per side, and that was only fairly recently.

Hell, aside from that latter point it has arguably gotten worse since the beginning, since their idiotic change to where ships switch from +/-1 to +/-2 tiering completely screwed 3 tiers in exchange for extremely marginal benefits for one.

Just introducing a brief pause for it to actually balance teams, rather than just grab whatever doesn't break any hard guidelines, would do wonders. Set it on a time schedule if you're drastically worried about it causing too much delays during off hours.

Oh, and remove loving CV from the protection on how long ships can wait in queue. If someone wants to wait 10+ goddamn minutes in their T10 CV, feel free, but stop loving everyone else over by giving T10 CVs a match with like 5 ships per side because one of them hit the time cap.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 22, 2018

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Burt posted:

A couple weeks ago when we had the mission for the free waifu captain, I wanted to see how annoying it would be in a match, so I tossed it into a Black Swan and queued up. After about a minute matchmaker tossed me into a 1v1 against someone in the French T1, and I felt a lot of pressure to win for whatever reason

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ST, German battleship Prinz Eitel Friedrich, Tier VI

Hit points – 52 300. Plating - 25 mm. Armor belt – 270 mm. Torpedo damage reduction – 27%.

Main battery - 4x2 350 mm. Firing range – 17.8 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 4000. Chance to cause fire – 27%. Maximum AP shell damage - 10500. Reload time - 24 s. 180 degree turn time - 30 s. Maximum dispersion - 241 m. HE initial velocity - 815 m/s. AP initial velocity - 815 m/s. Sigma value – 2.0.

Secondaries - 8х2 105 mm, range - 5,0 km, Maximum HE Shell Damage - 1200, Reload Time - 3,4 с. 14х1 150 mm, range - 5,0 km, Maximum HE Shell Damage - 1700, Reload Time - 7,5 с.

AA defense - 12х1 20 mm, range - 2,0 km, damage per second - 36. 8х2 37 mm, range - 3,5 km, damage per second - 21. 8х2 105 mm, range - 4,5 km, damage per second - 134.

Maximum speed - 28 kt. Turning circle radius - 800 m. Rudder shift time – 14,0 s. Surface detectability – 12,4 km. Air detectability – 12,4 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 11,0 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Repair party

ST. Game event GO NAVY!

Players will be able to participate in a competition between two teams - "Eagles" and "Sharks". Every day, the participants have a chance to get rewards for team and individual successes and for completing special battle missions. Points can be score in random, coop and clan battles as well as in operations.

Into the game client will be added a special event screen, where players can find the overall statistics of the stage, as well as check out the rules, personal results and leaderboard. The results of the competition are tallied every day. Players in each team can get containers according to the results of the day.

For american cruiser Worcester (camouflages for each team - Sharks and Eagles)

For american cruisers Dallas, Helena, Cleveland, Seattle and Worcester;

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Burt posted:

If that means you are always playing in CV matches—no thanks. On the other hand if that means nobody ever queues in a CV on EU, then I may have to dust off the WoWs server selector.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Whats with all the new premium BBs??

ST, French battleship Jean Bart, tier VIII

Hit points – 69 000. Plating - 32 mm. Armor belt – 330 mm. Torpedo damage reduction – 32%.

Main battery - 2x4 380 mm. Firing range – 24.5 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 5400. Chance to cause fire – 36%. Maximum AP shell damage - 11900. Reload time - 30 s. 180 degree turn time - 36 s. Maximum dispersion - 306 m. HE initial velocity - 830 m/s. AP initial velocity - 830 m/s. Sigma value – 1.8.

Secondaries - 12х2 100 mm, range - 5,0 km, Maximum HE Shell Damage - 1400, Reload Time - 3,0 с. 3х3 152 mm, range - 5,0 km, Maximum HE Shell Damage - 2200, Reload Time - 12,0 с.

AA defense - 14х2 57 mm, range - 4,5 km, damage per second - 357. 12х2 100 mm, range - 5,0 km, damage per second - 178. 3х3 152 mm, range - 5,0 km, damage per second - 25.

Maximum speed - 30 kt. Turning circle radius - 850 m. Rudder shift time – 16,0 s. Surface detectability – 15,9 km. Air detectability – 14,2 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 15,0 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Repair party

Charges 1 and 2 for Repair party II;
Slot 3 - Main Gun Reload Booster

Slot 4 - Engine Boost

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with the best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

New consumable Main Gun Reload Booster are added in game for testing.

Reload Time of the Main Caliber -50%;
Duration 30 s;
Cooldown 120 s and 80 s for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Charges 2 and 3 for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Main goal of the new consumable get a chance for ship's owner boost for a small period of time reload main guns and fire a final salvo.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

ZombieLenin posted:

If that means you are always playing in CV matches—no thanks. On the other hand if that means nobody ever queues in a CV on EU, then I may have to dust off the WoWs server selector.

I don't have a single ship fitted for AA, except where it's the only module available, that's how many CV games I see.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Burt posted:

Whats with all the new premium BBs??

Prinz Eitel completes the (current) set at T6 alongside Mutsu, Arizona, Warspite, and Dunkerque, not sure where Jean Bart fits in.

Also, using Prinz Eitel as the name leaves Mackensen free for future tree use

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What the gently caress even is that German BB? A hypothetical “modernized” tier 5?

Also the Jean Bart has two turrets what’s up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What the gently caress even is that German BB? A hypothetical “modernized” tier 5?

Also the Jean Bart has two turrets what’s up with that?

??? Jean Bart is the sister ship to French T8 tech tree BB Richelieu, which also only has two turrets. As does every French battleship starting at that tier on up, along with T6 premium Dunkerque. Just the style for battleships that the French decided on.

The better question is why they're tossing in another premium French BB at T8 when they already have Gascogne.