Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Neither of borosilicate glass (old pyrex) or tempered soda lime (new pyrex) are strictly better than one another. They're good at different things.

Borosilicate is more expensive, better at resisting thermal shock, and worse at resisting mechanical shock.

If you're going to put your dish from a fridge into an oven/put it on the stove/pour boiling water into it, you want borosilicate. If you're going to drop it on the counter/floor, you want tempered soda lime. Also if you do shatter it, borosilicate shatters into sharp pieces and tempered soda lime shatters into dust/dull pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Crow Jane posted:

Le Creuset is another one to keep an eye out for secondhand; not only is their stuff very well made to begin with, but it comes with a lifetime guarantee even if you buy it used.

Le Creuset never makes it onto the shelves, whoever is unpacking the donations steals it, no exceptions.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have to make ISOs as well as mp4s for the home movie digitization project I'm in the middle of because most of the older family members (the ones who would most care about this) only have DVD players and maaaaaybe smart TVs. Asking them to install Plex apps might as well be speaking Greek to them, and they probably wouldn't trust me to run the server anyway.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

learnincurve posted:

Le Creuset never makes it onto the shelves, whoever is unpacking the donations steals it, no exceptions.

Thrift stores the to flip the desirable stuff on eBay and leave only non desirable items for the physical shoppers.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

learnincurve posted:

My skillet and Dutch oven say otherwise :colbert:. I think the thrift shop by me is either an exception to that rule or I'm just stupid lucky, though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Crashrat posted:

B is a whole different story, and is the reason I don't think discs will ever be 100% dead. Much like vinyl isn't dead, either. If you're a quality person - and you're not willing to pirate - then discs are your only option. H.265 is not going to deliver the kind of 2160P w/ HDR visuals people want. Maybe H.266 will bridge that and make high-end discs a more and more niche market - but I still doubt it will ever go away.

Agreed, except that vinyl isn't about quality, it's about nostalgia. We'll see in a decade or two if DVDs ever get that. More likely it'll be just whatever's cheap and still works.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I have to make ISOs as well as mp4s for the home movie digitization project I'm in the middle of because most of the older family members (the ones who would most care about this) only have DVD players and maaaaaybe smart TVs. Asking them to install Plex apps might as well be speaking Greek to them, and they probably wouldn't trust me to run the server anyway.

That's where the rokus and the firetvs come in. All the old people that I know that have gotten one have been able to figure them out pretty well. I mean, they always end up doing something like stretching 4:3 to 16:9 or something, but they figure out how to play video just fine.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

My skillet and Dutch oven say otherwise :colbert:. I think the thrift shop by me is either an exception to that rule or I'm just stupid lucky, though.

Baltimore has an exceptional thrift and auction selection. It's really location dependant.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I have to make ISOs as well as mp4s for the home movie digitization project I'm in the middle of because most of the older family members (the ones who would most care about this) only have DVD players and maaaaaybe smart TVs.
If you can find a copy of Adobe Master Collection CS5 or 6 you can use Encore to make the DVDs yourself!
:v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

moller posted:

Thrift stores the to flip the desirable stuff on eBay and leave only non desirable items for the physical shoppers.

The absolute best stuff never even makes it to the truck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Crashrat posted:

The only thing keeping discs alive is either:
There might be a decent-sized contingent of people and institutions that just can't be bothered to do the IT poo poo necessary to get an Internet connection up at the location they want to watch their movies, but telecom companies have been trying to fill that void with idiotproof set-top boxes.

Part of what keeps video disc formats afloat though is incidental compatibility from game consoles and DVD-ROM drives. Console games don't have that. If no-optical-drive console SKUs come out, then anyone that buys one is going to be completely out of the physical-copy games market. Netflix and iTunes had to compete with entrenched formats to kill the physical market, but console first parties have a monopoly on the platform digital marketplaces and WANT to kill the physical market, so I think once the ball starts rolling, the physical market will shrink extremely quickly.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 20, 2018

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

There might be a decent-sized contingent of people and institutions that just can't be bothered to do the IT poo poo necessary to get an Internet connection up at the location they want to watch their movies, but telecom companies have been trying to fill that void with idiotproof set-top boxes.

Part of what keeps video disc formats afloat though is incidental compatibility from game consoles and DVD-ROM drives. Console games don't have that. If no-optical-drive console SKUs come out, then anyone that buys one is going to be completely out of the physical-copy games market. Netflix and iTunes had to compete with entrenched formats to kill the physical market, but console first parties have a monopoly on the platform digital marketplaces and WANT to kill the physical market, so I think once the ball starts rolling, the physical market will shrink extremely quickly.

I think you might be drastically overestimating the market penetration of high-speed non-metered internet.

The proliferation of metered connections - and the shear amount of data that game updates use - has been a point of consternation already in the gaming market for parents. I realize that many people posting here are probably sitting on decent internet connections, and while unhappy about having to pay extra for unlimited data they're still going to pay for it because they'll use it.

There's no shortage of households - even middle class households - that are just flat out unwilling to spring for the extra money or they insist the kids "learn responsibility" by imposing limits related to gaming & updates.

I have absolutely no publicly available data to back this up other than anecdotal poo poo I overhear in my everyday life. I haven't been a console gamer since...well...I'm old and I'll just leave it at that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not to mention places that just plain have poo poo internet in comparison to what first worlders are used to. (and the USA doesn't necessarily qualify as a first world country nowadays) Mostly the emerging markets that companies are desperate to get to first.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not to mention places that just plain have poo poo internet in comparison to what first worlders are used to. (and the USA doesn't necessarily qualify as a first world country nowadays) Mostly the emerging markets that companies are desperate to get to first.

Yeah the idea of the complete elimination of physical media always resounds well inside tech circles, but I'm reminded of a case study (I don't have an MBA - I'm just remembering this) of Microsoft where they were desperately trying to kill off physical distribution, and the echo chamber of Redmond made it seem like they were all seriously onboard with the idea, and it was being seriously rolled out right up until they actually started talking to customers whereupon the entire idea went down in flames.

Redbox is a slowly sinking ship but even a sinking ship can still turn out profits if you manage the sink right. The major investors know it's not going to be around forever they just care that they get their dividends consistently - and the management of Redbox seems to fully understand that.

I don't see Redbox surviving as a purely game rental kiosk system - it'll just be too expensive unless the publishers are willing to give Redbox copies of the games at next-to-nothing in order to maintain access to gamers who are connecting to online services where they spend money on poo poo like game skins...but I really doubt this ends up happening.

There are some interesting players out there that still cater to the "I want it today" market. Family Video, for example, which seems to somehow continue to survive as a Blockbuster-esque business - they claim it's because they own the real estate - but I'd venture a guess that it's because they specifically put their stores in areas that straddle the line between "working class" and middle class. Plus they have that partnership with Marco's Pizza at some locations where you can supposedly call in an order for pizza & a movie rental, and have it delivered where they'll even take your old rentals back for yo, but no idea how well that actually works.

But if you lose GameStop, and you lose rentals...I'm not sure what the working poor will do for access to games. But I still think we're not talking near-term here.

I'm curious what kind of effect that will have on the profitability of games. Or, in other words, how much money do game makers / publishers / etc really make from the physical market? Do they need that physical market to be profitable?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Crashrat posted:

There are some interesting players out there that still cater to the "I want it today" market. Family Video, for example, which seems to somehow continue to survive as a Blockbuster-esque business - they claim it's because they own the real estate - but I'd venture a guess that it's because they specifically put their stores in areas that straddle the line between "working class" and middle class.

I just took a look at their store locator, having once lived in Wisconsin and am amazed they were still in business. Gotta give it to the Midwest, still clinging to video rental stores as a thing in the year of our Dark Lord 2018.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OneEightHundred posted:

Eventually there will be no-optical-drive console SKUs, maybe at the tail end of the current console generation, then GameStop's entire business model is done. It's gonna be like Blockbuster vs. Netflix, except maybe worse since Netflix didn't have the ability to force the Blu-ray format to discontinue.

I feel like we're going to have one more generation of systems with physical media and then it's done. Like with the Nintendo Switch now we'll get a generation where instead of disks everything's on a card (once again TurboGrafx-16 points the way) and that will be the final one. Like with blu-rays though, I think you'll still see a niche for hey why download the game for $60 when you can spend $120 to get it on a card with this statue and other useless junk.

That said, I wouldn't be super stunned if the Playstation 5 is still on blu-rays.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crashrat posted:

There are some interesting players out there that still cater to the "I want it today" market. Family Video, for example, which seems to somehow continue to survive as a Blockbuster-esque business - they claim it's because they own the real estate - but I'd venture a guess that it's because they specifically put their stores in areas that straddle the line between "working class" and middle class. Plus they have that partnership with Marco's Pizza at some locations where you can supposedly call in an order for pizza & a movie rental, and have it delivered where they'll even take your old rentals back for yo, but no idea how well that actually works.

The Family Video near my house is shutting down. They're selling the fixtures and everything. The Marcos is staying in business. Probably because we're in an absurd deadzone where none of the national chains will deliver to, despite being 1-2 miles away.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I just took a look at their store locator, having once lived in Wisconsin and am amazed they were still in business. Gotta give it to the Midwest, still clinging to video rental stores as a thing in the year of our Dark Lord 2018.

Yeah, that has a lot less to do with clinging, and a lot more to do with nobody building high speed internet infrastructure.

If I lived a half-mile further out of town I'd be stuck on dial-up level satellite.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that has a lot less to do with clinging, and a lot more to do with nobody building high speed internet infrastructure.
And a big part of that is just the US having a spread out population because drat the consequences, everyone's gotta live in a detached single-family home on a large lot, they just gotta!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

And a big part of that is just the US having a spread out population because drat the consequences, everyone's gotta live in a detached single-family home on a large lot, they just gotta!

Well that and out here, people gotta live somewhat near the farm because it's not logistically worthwhile to concentrate everybody into the city and drive 30-50 miles every morning to get to what is often a 24/7 operation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yes, there's a narrow segment of the population where being spread out is necessary. We just took things way, WAY beyond that.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Crashrat posted:

Yeah the idea of the complete elimination of physical media always resounds well inside tech circles, but I'm reminded of a case study (I don't have an MBA - I'm just remembering this) of Microsoft where they were desperately trying to kill off physical distribution, and the echo chamber of Redmond made it seem like they were all seriously onboard with the idea, and it was being seriously rolled out right up until they actually started talking to customers whereupon the entire idea went down in flames.

You might be thinking of what they tried with the Xbox One. Originally, discs were expected to be stamped with a special, unique code that the console would read. That disc would then be bound to your Xbox account forever. After installing the game, you wouldn’t need the disc anymore, but you couldn’t sell it or loan it to a friend.

This would have completely killed the secondary market, and got both consumers and retailers massively pissed as soon as it was announced. They walked back the decision within days.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Xae posted:

Probably because we're in an absurd deadzone where none of the national chains will deliver to, despite being 1-2 miles away.
lol i live in one of those too. the only restaurant that will deliver to my house, despite being in a central urban area right next to a major highway, is an ice cream shop. so every few months, even in the middle of winter, i get high and order eighty bucks' worth of artisanal ice cream for dinner

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blastron posted:

You might be thinking of what they tried with the Xbox One. Originally, discs were expected to be stamped with a special, unique code that the console would read. That disc would then be bound to your Xbox account forever. After installing the game, you wouldn’t need the disc anymore, but you couldn’t sell it or loan it to a friend.

This would have completely killed the secondary market, and got both consumers and retailers massively pissed as soon as it was announced. They walked back the decision within days.

Best brand poo poo-talking ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like we're going to have one more generation of systems with physical media and then it's done. Like with the Nintendo Switch now we'll get a generation where instead of disks everything's on a card (once again TurboGrafx-16 points the way) and that will be the final one. Like with blu-rays though, I think you'll still see a niche for hey why download the game for $60 when you can spend $120 to get it on a card with this statue and other useless junk.
Cards are very expensive to manufacture compared to discs, the only upside to them is that reading data off of them consumes much less power, so there's almost zero reason for any non-handheld system to use them.

blastron posted:

Right, but that controversy was more about restrictions being added to something that didn't used to have them than it was about demanding the right to resell. Where's the outcry over the fact that every single digital marketplace is designed to prevent resale?

Crashrat posted:

I think you might be drastically overestimating the market penetration of high-speed non-metered internet.
I'm aware of spotty broadband penetration and quality, I just think that a.) it would be offset by the severity of having customers that are completely outside of the physical market (as opposed to people that prefer digital but can still use physical copies), and b.) physical media doesn't need to be completely or even mostly dead to make it non-viable to have a whole store dedicated to it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

remusclaw posted:

Our Family Video/Marco's combo moved right into the the old Blockbusters building that stood empty for like a year or two about a year or so back, and it seems to be doing pretty darn well. They shut up the Digital Doc they put next to them, though, now it's just an empty space they put movie posters on the ground in.

OneEightHundred posted:

Right, but that controversy was more about restrictions being added to something that didn't used to have them than it was about demanding the right to resell. Where's the outcry over the fact that every single digital marketplace is designed to prevent resale?

You've clearly never used the Nintendo eStore, which ties your purchase to the device rather than your account, if it gets erased in a routine RMA service job you have to rebuy the games, and the first party titles (aka most of what people buy on the eStore) never go on sale, even years after release. It's pretty much the scenario people feared that every company would pull if digital distribution finally killed physical media. The only reason there isn't an outcry is because the Steam model of tying your games to your account and having frequent sales salves the loss of resale. And if physical media does die, it's entirely possible the carrot of frequent game sales to attract customers may no longer be needed.

Another issue I personally have is if net neutrality isn't reinstated, then US Broadband could end up being Portugalized. If that happens, then people might start preferring physical media again rather than paying the Game Download Tax to their ISPs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In all honesty I miss living close to a video store. The time limit on stuff I took out made me actually watch it, and having a big physical selection available to look through was always real nice.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

remusclaw posted:

In all honesty I miss living close to a video store. The time limit on stuff I took out made me actually watch it, and having a big physical selection available to look through was always real nice.

Wasn't too big a fan of the Blockbuster employee calling me, claiming I never returned a movie, going down there and having a 10-15 minute argument with them, only for them to 'find' it says 'everything's cool' (i.e, employees were trying to steal poo poo and put the blame on customers).

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Blockbuster sucked. Hollywood too. Family Video never did me wrong though, so I'm glad they're still around.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Blockbuster sucked. Hollywood too. Family Video never did me wrong though, so I'm glad they're still around.

There's a Family Video not too far from me that has their market locked down af. They're surrounded by apartments for college kids, and they're the kind that "include internet," which means the whole apartment complex of 400 apartmetns or whatever shares a 50mbit connection because some old white guy thought "50 sounds like a good number!"

---

Story time. Skip if you dgaf.

I'm sure they're able to purchase service through the same company that provides that 50mbit connection...but most people won't bother doing that. I remember going the hellscape that was trying to do that back when I was younger in an apartment complex that had "included internet" that was - I poo poo you not - 10mbit for more than 800 people. It took me a solid 4 months of phone calls, emails, and literal physical letters to the FCC to finally get AT&T out to let me have DSL. Turned out AT&T was hoping that I'd back down because their equipment for the apartment complex was stupendously old and they'd have to upgrade basically all of it...just so one apartment could get DSL. But since they had an exclusive contract they legally (so I was told) HAD to give it to me. I didn't know that at the time. I'm guessing that physical letter to the FCC was the only reason I was able to get DSL.

Not even joking that AT&T had to send 20 people across 15 trucks and a shitload of rat's nest wiring just being piled out outside the shack on the apartment complex grounds...all that so I could get a 5mbit DSL line.

The AT&T line techs that came by at the end of the 3rd day to make sure my DSL worked properly were, apparently, the only ones that knew I was only getting DSL. They figured someone had ordered a T3 line to their apartment and were prepared to start running a ton of copper. It was the last work order and they were pissed because all the other techs and trucks had left as they started reading it fearing they were going to have to do it all themselves.

Nope. Just some college dude with a loving DSL modem.

No idea if it's still that bad for those kinds of apartments, but it seriously was a PITA to get that DSL.

End story time

---

So since the shared internet in those apartment complexes throttles any streaming of video, including YouTube apparently, they're pretty much left either watching the "included cable" their apartment comes with, going through all the hoops of getting individual internet service...or walking over to Family Video.

Family Video, I'm told, paid to have sidewalks put in behind the building so there was a nice paved path between them and the apartment complexes.

I'm not down there much as I don't really have any reason to be over in that student area of town, but any time I happen to drive thru their parking lot is full, theres like 10 Marco's delivery cars constantly buzzing in and out, and there's a steady stream of foot traffic.

Family Video seems very keen on that maxim of "location location location", and not just "be in a college town" but rather doing massive amounts of market research and then building smack in the middle of what is, for all intents and purposes, an internet deadzone for video content.

Crashrat fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 22, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
You mean people actually still do market research and try to make their business successful, rather just show up and expect customers to flood in and go along with outdated practices or practices designed to take advantage of them?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Crashrat posted:

A story about the Internet and Family Video

I have a related anecdote. Between the first and second year of working on my Master's degree, I moved back to the town where I did my undergrad because it was much cheaper, a lot more fun and the first year of my MA made me want to die so I needed some distance. I moved into a furnished apartment complex where several of my undergrad chums still lived and managed to negotiate a sweet short-term lease because they were struggling to fill their occupancy.

Internet was included, but I quickly found out that it was terrible. I was playing a lot of TF2 then, during the glory days when the game was about gaming and not just hats, and it wasn't even good enough for that. I asked for permission to get outside internet from the company that supplied them with television and, to my surprise, they did not object at all. I had a lovely summer with good internet and all was well.

I ended up coming back to that same town and apartment complex a year or two later and I lived with some college friends. They told me that they had upgraded the internet but, being a cynical sort who never believes anyone I purchased internet from the same company as last time. Some months later, I got a call from my ISP saying that I had passed my download quota and that if I did it again they would cancel my service. I remember this with great humour because I recall saying to the twat on the phone "So, if I use your service too much, you'll lose a customer?". He was so flummoxed by that question that I laughed out loud and still smile to this day when I think of that. Well, this made me curious, so I unhooked my third-party ISP and hooked up the house internet. It turned out that they were actually telling the truth and it had much improved and was equal to what I was paying extra for, so I dumped my outside ISP and saved some money.

=========================

We have a Family Video near here and, while it's still in business, it seems to get very little traffic. They definitely picked their location well as they are immediately adjacent to a Little Ceasar's, walking distance from a high-density apartment complex in an area with few of those, and very close to the only grocery store within a 2-mile radius. I could be wrong about how much custom they get, but every time I pass by I am doubly surprised that a more or less "traditional" video store is still functioning these days in general and also how empty their car park is.

skooma512 posted:

You mean people actually still do market research and try to make their business successful, rather just show up and expect customers to flood in and go along with outdated practices or practices designed to take advantage of them?

To be fair, proper, sophisticated market research is certainly very expensive and I don't see how a company that is already in a solid position could afford it. There may be similar opportunities that would be supported by sophisticated studies, but I doubt that some aspiring small entrepreneur could afford to have one done. Most likely this nascent store owner is going to set up shop where best he thinks and hope that it works out.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 22, 2018

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Our Family Video/Marco's combo moved right into the the old Blockbusters building that stood empty for like a year or two about a year or so back, and it seems to be doing pretty darn well. They shut up the Digital Doc they put next to them, though, now it's just an empty space they put movie posters on the ground in.

You've clearly never used the Nintendo eStore, which ties your purchase to the device rather than your account, if it gets erased in a routine RMA service job you have to rebuy the games, and the first party titles (aka most of what people buy on the eStore) never go on sale, even years after release. It's pretty much the scenario people feared that every company would pull if digital distribution finally killed physical media. The only reason there isn't an outcry is because the Steam model of tying your games to your account and having frequent sales salves the loss of resale. And if physical media does die, it's entirely possible the carrot of frequent game sales to attract customers may no longer be needed.

Another issue I personally have is if net neutrality isn't reinstated, then US Broadband could end up being Portugalized. If that happens, then people might start preferring physical media again rather than paying the Game Download Tax to their ISPs.

What is meaning of Portugalized? I have much friends and some family over in Portugal, they do not pay much for internet and usually is it fast. Beside of my one cousin who moved deep in scenic forest there, he only has dialup at the home. Goes to village to use broadband.

Nintendo is odd man in online service. Microsoft had good account management for purchase already with late-time original Xbox, and Sony already had good service on PS3. Only Nintendo fucks you so much for digital only.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

What is meaning of Portugalized? I have much friends and some family over in Portugal, they do not pay much for internet and usually is it fast. Beside of my one cousin who moved deep in scenic forest there, he only has dialup at the home. Goes to village to use broadband.

Nintendo is odd man in online service. Microsoft had good account management for purchase already with late-time original Xbox, and Sony already had good service on PS3. Only Nintendo fucks you so much for digital only.

I admit I made a slight error in that it's really only the one ISP there that's doing it, but the point stands: Portugal hints at what the American internet could eventually look like without net neutrality

quote:

Pro-net neutrality advocates have vowed to fight the FCC in the courts — but what might the American internet look like without net neutrality?

Take a look at Portugal. The country is bound by the European Union's net-neutrality rules, but it allows for certain kinds of pricing schemes that hint at what a net neutality-less internet might look like.

The country's wireless carrier Meo offers a package where users pay for traditional "data" for their smartphones — and on top of that, they can pay for additional packages based on the kind of data and apps they want to use, "zero-rating" those services.

Really into messaging? Then pay €4.99 ($5.86 or £4.43) a month and get more data for apps like WhatsApp, Skype, and FaceTime. Prefer social networks like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Messenger, and so on? That'll be another €4.99 a month.

Zero-rating for video apps like Netflix and YouTube are available as another add-on, while music (Spotify, SoundCloud, Google Play Music, etc.) is another, as is email and cloud (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, iCloud, etc.).

Net-neutrality advocates argue that this kind of model is dangerous because it risks creating a two-tier system that harms competition — people will just use the big-name apps included in the bundles they pay for, while upstart challengers will be left out in the cold.

For example: If you love watching videos, and Netflix is included in the video bundle but Hulu isn't, you're likely to try to save money by using only Netflix, making it harder for its competitors. (Note: Hulu isn't available in Portugal, but you get the idea.)

And without net neutrality, big-name apps could theoretically even pay telecoms firms for preferential access, offering them money — and smaller companies just couldn't compete with that. (It's not clear whether any of the companies named above have paid for preferential access.)

An ISP could even refuse to grant customers access to an app at all unless they (or the app company) paid up.

My key points here are that:

• Ending physical media could harm consumers since they currently provide beneficial competition, and Nintendo provides a vision of how bad a digital distribution-only world could be without companies feeling that pressure
  • Post-Net Neutrality ISP business decisions could create a market where consumers consider physical media a better value over digital once again

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Nintendo ties it to your account, you can just only have one active device. That's a huge difference. You don't have to rebuy anything if you drop the Switch off the train.

Also they just had freaking Zelda on sale digitally so maybe they are changing their views on title pricing.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 22, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hand Row posted:

Nintendo ties it to your account, you can just only have one active device. That's a huge difference.

Also they just had freaking Zelda on sale digitally so maybe they are changing their views on title pricing.

I did say they're a worse-case scenario. I absolutely believe we could have digital distribution services in the future that aren't as bad as Nintendo currently is, but still noticably worse than the more robust and relatively consumer-friendly ones we currently enjoy, because where else are you (legally) going to get the content post-physical?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

I admit I made a slight error in that it's really only the one ISP there that's doing it, but the point stands: Portugal hints at what the American internet could eventually look like without net neutrality

My key points here are that:

• Ending physical media could harm consumers since they currently provide beneficial competition, and Nintendo provides a vision of how bad a digital distribution-only world could be without companies feeling that pressure
  • Post-Net Neutrality ISP business decisions could create a market where consumers consider physical media a better value over digital once again

I do not understand concern there as that is a cheap mobile provider of Portugal. I have seen similar offers for mobile service in many country, it is just one option for people who don't want to have prepaid data bucket by the X bytes, or the high price of unlimited plan. Do not American mobile provider offer no-limit streaming of select video providers on some plans?

Where the competition comes from in physical media? Manufacturer of game or video has total control of supply and distribution to whoever is in the middle to consumers. And if game, I can not put physical Sony game in Microsoft system or thing like that. Digital provider have similar total control of if thing is available.

I think you miss what net neutrality is but maybe is translation issue for me. It does not give speed or bandwidth, few country have net neutrality law at all and there is no correlation between having a such law or rule and good speed/no data cap/no censorship/customer service. EU introduced one few years ago and there almost no change in things offered.

I did say they're a worse-case scenario. I absolutely believe we could have digital distribution services in the future that aren't as bad as Nintendo currently is, but still noticably worse than the more robust and relatively consumer-friendly ones we currently enjoy, because where else are you (legally) going to get the content post-physical?

We have had the game console distribution much better than Nintendo 2018 since Microsoft 2005 easily, if not before. You are missing that Nintendo simply never gets internet right. There is not Android or iPhone physical distribution, but do you worry about moving apps games to new phone? Only if switching system entirely, but that is like going from all Microsoft to all Nintendo, the physical copy would never move working.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

I do not understand concern there as that is a cheap mobile provider of Portugal. I have seen similar offers for mobile service in many country, it is just one option for people who don't want to have prepaid data bucket by the X bytes, or the high price of unlimited plan. Do not American mobile provider offer no-limit streaming of select video providers on some plans?

Yes, and it's lovely there too, but most people can tolerate it until they go home and watch videos and such off their broadband. The concern is the net neutrality repeal opens the door for broadband ISPs to start zero-rating as well, and because broadband ISPs collude to have local monopolies, between that and the already aforementioned lovely mobile data plans, consumers will no longer have options for unrestricted internet service. Which is A Bad Thing when so many said consumers can only enjoy Netflix and Hulu and such because their broadband currently isn't zero-rated.

quote:

We have had the game console distribution much better than Nintendo 2018 since Microsoft 2005 easily, if not before. You are missing that Nintendo simply never gets internet right. There is not Android or iPhone physical distribution, but do you worry about moving apps games to new phone? Only if switching system entirely, but that is like going from all Microsoft to all Nintendo, the physical copy would never move working.

No one cares about digital distribution of games on phones because the only good phone games are almost entirely ports from other platforms, and even those tend to be half-assed. I don't care I can't play Fire Emblem Heroes on iPhone because Heroes is a slightly less lovely gatcha Skinner box. I'd care a lot more if the next Fire Emblem on the Switch is good, digital distribution only, and tied to the life of the hard drive of the system.

My point is that just because most companies do digital distribution reasonably well now, while they're in competition with physical media, does not mean they will continue to do so if and when physical media is obsoleted entirely.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2018

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
That's not Nintendo's currently policy so you are confusing me with current landscape vs what could happen.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So Barnes & Noble had a sucky Q4 2018 (no shock) and while the stock went down around 5% yesterday, it bounced back today for no discernible reason. :thunk: The 'magic' of the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Yes, and it's lovely there too, but most people can tolerate it until they go home and watch videos and such off their broadband. The concern is the net neutrality repeal opens the door for broadband ISPs to start zero-rating as well, and because broadband ISPs collude to have local monopolies, between that and the already aforementioned lovely mobile data plans, consumers will no longer have options for unrestricted internet service. Which is A Bad Thing when so many said consumers can only enjoy Netflix and Hulu and such because their broadband currently isn't zero-rated.

No one cares about digital distribution of games on phones because the only good phone games are almost entirely ports from other platforms, and even those tend to be half-assed. I don't care I can't play Fire Emblem Heroes on iPhone because Heroes is a slightly less lovely gatcha Skinner box. I'd care a lot more if the next Fire Emblem on the Switch is good, digital distribution only, and tied to the life of the hard drive of the system.

My point is that just because most companies do digital distribution reasonably well now, while they're in competition with physical media, does not mean they will continue to do so if and when physical media is obsoleted entirely.

Maybe I am not clear enough. In EU there is net neutrality law in place for several years now, and zero-rate plans are legal for any provider. Low bandwidth caps are legal, bad service in general are legal. Most ISP company do not now do these but they also did not before law. Net neutrality was never about unrestriction in service, it about mostly you may not restrict by directly harming some provider. However favoring a different provider is ok. My understanding to be American ISP law very similar, and so laws in most high develop nation. There is detail that is, making only own services zero rate and setting bandwdith limit to 20 megabyte to any other service becomes illegal for being extreme. That is for cover severe abuse which is unlikely.

That seems to be a snob view about preferred game, I don't think many popular console game good either. But the phone app and game there is no physical distribution but don't make the digital distribution bad like you say happen. There also many digital-only game out there and they only get bad digital service on Nintendo. The argument appears not good it is that maybe worst possible thing will happen just for own sake. Does not seem realism.