Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

The game is beautiful, and for the most part I enjoyed the story. Did anyone else notice that, perhaps other than Rost, all of the guys in the game are either:

- Bloodthirsty
- Idiots
- Genocidal
- Sexist
- Evil

And the women in the game are almost universally stronger, smarter, and kinder with just a few exceptions like the 3rd Matriarch.

The Hunter's Lodge leader, War Chief leader, are both replaced by far superior women. The one guy who helps Aloy is a drunk who is inferior to his dead sister, and says later he's lucky to have 1 minute of Aloy's time.

I felt uncomfortable, like I was watching an old Loony Tunes cartoon where all the villains were stereotyped, buck-toothed Japanese... you know how you see those old racist or sexist cartoons and it feels awkward?

That's how this game felt, but towards males, and mostly white males.

It seemed like the opposite of an old black and white movie where the women are helpless idiots to be saved by the men.

I'm not arguing that the racism and sexism in those old cartoons or movies was moral or correct at all... but rather that racism and sexism still apply even if the race and sex you're targetting is white and male.

Just weird.

I'd have felt better about the game if, at least, all the worst people in the game weren't all men, and all the best people in the game weren't all women... and literally Elizabeth Faro says at the end of the game that if she'd bothered to have kids, she wanted a girl.

I wonder how the heroes and villians would've come out, gender and race wise, if they'd just made a dart board and picked gender and race of each one that way? What are the chances it'd work out as it did in the game as it sits now?

If racism and sexism are wrong, why would they be ok if you just pick a different race and sex to stereotype and hate on?

None of this stopped me from enjoying the game... it's beautiful and fun, and I liked Aloy for the most part. But wow. It just felt face-slappingly obvious what they were trying to say over the course of hundreds of characters.

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
strong female characters make me uncomfortable too, they should all be meek and mild imo

we wouldn't want young women to get the wrong impression

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Women are allowed to be strong so long as there is a man around to lead them and keep their feminine emotions in check.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Internet Kraken posted:

Women are allowed to be strong so long as there is a man around to lead them and keep their feminine emotions in check.

Literally the concept of Super Princess Peach

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Women that tell me that I'm wrong scare me because they remind me of my mother.

:v:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Women in games need to be strong if they hope to ever be able to draw the string on their bow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
which game is that post even talking about

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When they're done with Yakuza they should remake them all again the exact same except Kiryu/Majima are women

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Women in games need to be strong if they hope to ever be able to draw the string on their bow.

I just had my first ever archery lesson last night and lemme tell ya, it's harder than it looks even with a modern compound bow! My shoulders are hella sore today.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

which game is that post even talking about
Horizon

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's weird how bows have been kind of typecasted as this weapon for skinny, demure women when you have to have some jacked arms to be able to be an effective archer. At least Aloy and new Lara Croft look athletic enough.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 19, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

When they're done with Yakuza they should remake them all again the exact same except Kiryu/Majima are women

Genderbent Majima cosplay is absolutely a thing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like, I'll admit that Horizon is far more positive towards women than men, but to say that it's men are cartoonish caricatures is weird. Plenty of the men in game are good people and those that aren't usually are not just evil for the sake of it, with more effort than is even necessary put into showing why they think what they do. Like the chief of the hunters lodge is a stody sexist that thinks the old way is the correct way and sees any change to that as a threat which is like the opposite of an unrealistic caricature.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Just make this into a game
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36873/Back_Street_Girls

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Accordion Man posted:

It's weird how bows have been kind of typecasted as this weapon for demure women when you have to have some jacked arms to be able to be an effective archer. At least Aloy and new Lara Croft look athletic enough.

My trainer let me grip a 100lb English longbow and I could barely draw it. That's why all those hobbyist archer dudes have that inverse dorito physique.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When will a game use Lars Andersen as the basis for their archery gameplay systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When will a game use Lars Andersen as the basis for their archery gameplay systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Never because it’s a dumb video

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

yakuza cosplay twitter is great

https://twitter.com/en_yen/status/998734325007994880

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
half life 1 got a 3.5 mb update

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taintrunner posted:

Genderbent cosplay of everything is a thing.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

why’s the job fiesta thread stickied. just curious. seems pretty niche but whatever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

b_d posted:

why’s the job fiesta thread stickied. just curious. seems pretty niche but whatever

why not?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

b_d posted:

because it got you to look at it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

b_d posted:

its fun + its for charity. I'm sure the sgdq thread will be stickied also idk

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

four job fiesta gets stickied every year

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Makes you wonder why these threads get stickied, it’s not like we ever get new blood in here

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sickying four job fiesta every year is cool, you weirdos

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’m not complaining!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

Never because it’s a dumb video

It was pretty cool imo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even the good men in Horizon are portrayed as weak or uncool. Like the king who is a good guy, but hits on Aloy and gets rejected.

I think there's a deliberate agenda in Horizon to portray women as better/cooler/stronger/smarter than the men.

Aaaaand I'm totally okay with it, considering how badly women have been portrayed in videogames for decades, let them have a few where they get to be the badasses at the expense of men.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm glad i don't have whatever hosed up brain illness a bunch of people on here seem to have that makes them read a bunch of pointless poo poo into stupid loving video games.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

I think there's a deliberate agenda in Horizon to portray women as better/cooler/stronger/smarter than the men.

sham eon them for portraying the truth

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm glad i don't have whatever hosed up brain illness a bunch of people on here seem to have that makes them read a bunch of pointless poo poo into stupid loving video games.

All media is worth analysis.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m reasonably sure exquisite tea took that from some other site

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1009189350037286914

Yes, it is a Compile Heart game, how did you guess?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

spudsbuckley posted:

every act of creation reflects on the creators and the society that spawned the creators.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't really know anybody here, but decide my fate

https://www.strawpoll.me/15929179

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Roth posted:

Glad to see the correct game is on top

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Roth posted:

Metroid prime 2 but make sure it's the wii version for the sweet control scheme

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In Training posted:

Metroid prime 2 but make sure it's the wii version for the sweet control scheme

I bought the Trilogy for $5 off a dude I don't like because he was selling all his games for cheap because of a move to Finland that never came to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

precision posted:

every act of creation reflects on the creators and the society that spawned the creators.

Play videogames and enjoy them and if you aren't enjoying them then stop playing them and play something else.

That's literally all you need to do.

• Locked thread