Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Vahakyla posted:

Finland is always my fall back if my life would go dramatically altered.

However the amount of money I am TSPing away, and can get with eventual retirement, is insane. I’d never, besides some gross tech bro jobs, would have the faintest chance of retiring at potential age of 46 in Finland.

The last few bastions of American fixed-service term pensions are just amazingly great opportunities and the Army shields me from the otherwise terrible parts of american society. I can retire early with my wife if we stay on track with this with our IRAs and TSP, and it’s just too tempting to pass. Not only that but so far I just really like the Army.

In Finland, no one who works regular careers retires before 62. Not even soldiers, cops, or firemen. Granted, they don’t get ground to dust either, but anyway. I don’t wanna work for the rest of my life.

I'm not questioning your desire to stay in the military, I'm not in a position to do that. I will however question your desire to do voluntary poo poo that gives you a significant chance of loving up your body and giving yourself chronic pain. I have chronic back pain and am on daily doses of pretty hefty painkillers. I'm lucky that they don't seem to affect me much, but the pain never goes away and it affects every aspect of my life. How I sit, how I walk, how I sleep, how I gently caress, literally everything. I didn't really get any warning about it and it's not from a specific incident or anything but I can tell you right now I sure as poo poo wish I had one that I could have listened to. It is awful and it is never going to go away for me, ever. I would work til the day I loving die if it meant I could get rid of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Death before re-enlistment. I have no interest in medic stuff. I’ll wrap up the rest of my career as an O.

I’m just making sure that I can switch over and have for example no P2 profile slapped onto me.

Realistically, my airborne career will wrap up with this Italy assignment since.

Go MI please. Either the intelligence variety or the MOBILE INFANTRY in the SPACE CORPS lmao.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Vahakyla posted:

the Army shields me from the otherwise terrible parts of american society.

Hahahaha wow

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Vahakyla posted:

the Army shields me from the otherwise terrible parts of american society.
I lost you here

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Living in Italy in amazing house with poo poo ton of pay, lots of time off, with awesome unit. Racing motorcycles with the wife on alpine roads with all the loving time off we get all the time.

Hmmm sure is hell this Army life.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Living in Italy in amazing house with poo poo ton of pay, lots of time off, with awesome unit. Racing motorcycles with the wife on alpine roads with all the loving time off we get all the time.

you're in italy, you lucked out stupid

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I know. By the time I am out of time here, I’m at 4 years of active duty already.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

I know. By the time I am out of time here, I’m at 4 years of active duty already.

Wow congrats you’re 20% of the way to 50% of your base poo poo enlisted pay for life.

You’re still going to need a job when you get out to be able to vacation and poo poo you dumbass. But all you’ll be qualified for is bagging my loving groceries.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'm gonna go with medical separation within 6 months of his next duty station

edit: at least the process will be initiated

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Sometimes I wonder if I would have turned out like this guy and stayed in after my 4. My first duty assignment was for Italy, but a few weeks before graduating AIT it got changed to Drum.

Vahakyla, you know in a normal 9-5 job you wouldn't have to deal with these types of injuries because most 9-5 jobs don't involve jumping out of planes, right?

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 20, 2018

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Dude if your back is that hosed up, the chances of you jumping again and not loving your back up again, but even worse, seems so slim that I'd categorize it along with them telling Jackie Chan that "sure you could do more fight scenes, but if you take another good blow to the head you'll probably die." Cut your losses, if they'll even let you stay in stay on the ground. One guy I knew hit the ground so hard on a jump he got brain damaged. Dude had 14 years in, got medically retired. Last I heard he's a truck driver now because his brain is mashed potatoes and that's the best he could do.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So like, what do you plan on doing after your 4 year enlistment if you don't want to do medical? I mean i'm not gonna lie, being a nurse in the army seems cushy as gently caress as well as *insert any other medical MOS* that the army/navy/air force offers.

I mean I'm an idiot too who tried to get back into the game through the Marine Corps OCS but if I had sustained such an injury and was still pursuing that retirement I'd work finance and sham my way to 20....

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also the idea of living anywhere on retired enlisted pay is hilarious, or the concept that it's a lot of money to begin with. Yeah, it was a lot compared to my previous job stocking shelves as a teenager, but my interns at work take home more than an E4 living stateside, and they're 20 year old useless fucks that don't even have a college degree yet. I'm four years in to a real career and i'm pulling low 6 figures in a non-tech, social science / medical job. When my interns reach my age, they'll be earning close to 50% more than what I do at this point in my life, easily.

The real world isn't that scary, yo. Get the gently caress out when you can, go to school, and start a real career before your body fails you and you're stuck as an invalid in a VA home secretly hoping you're on their death list.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Vahakyla posted:

Korea, Bragg, Drum, or Wainwright

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Syrian Lannister posted:

Korea, Bragg, Drum, or Wainwright

Irwin

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Leonard Wood

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anywhere CONUS other than Carson, JBLM, or the DC area.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Vahakyla posted:

Death before re-enlistment. I have no interest in medic stuff. I’ll wrap up the rest of my career as an O. I have civilian Fire 1, USAR, Tech Rescue, Diver, EMT certs so a fireman would be a stop gap option.

I’m just making sure that I can switch over and have for example no P2 profile slapped onto me.

Realistically, my airborne career will wrap up with this Italy assignment since.

Oh my god go be a firefighter on the west coast. In my first year, I am making more per month than my wife who is a 3rd year nurse, with charge nurse duties, chemo treatment certification, ACLS, and a few other things. And I have probably the same or better bennies than you in the army.

Edit: Actually strike that - your bad back that you blew up in the Army might disqualify you in a pre-employment medical exam... So don't get your hopes up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Firefighter is awesome, nurse is awesome.

Enlisted is not awesome.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

gently caress my union contract states that we will work out for an hour a day. I literally get paid to do physical fitness training and choose how to do it in the best way for my body. Instead of being forced to do situps on a concrete surface and pop fuckin discs doing it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm watching a Forensic Files episode where a software development company continued to use Novell well into the mid-2000's with their main admin login being U: 12345 P: <no password> and was surprised when their entire development storage server was deleted via a drive overwrite from a virus labeled "fix.exe."

Even that isn't as dumb as Vahakyla's idea about enlisted life and retirement.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

On a side note, if you want to be a firefighter, be one on the west coast. My department actually has a part-timer working with us who used to work down in Florida as a firefighter. He earns almost twice as much being a Part-Time firefighter at this department than he did as a full time employee at his previous department in Florida - which had roughly 500 full time firefighters working at it.

Edit: East Coast wages suck in general for Fire/EMS

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't do it in the southwest, though. Southwest is worse. AZ is like the last state in firefighter/EMS pay.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't do it in the southwest, though. Southwest is worse. AZ is like the last state in firefighter/EMS pay.

Yeah, but you get to live in Arizona.....

oh wait

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

windshipper posted:

Oh my god go be a firefighter on the west coast. In my first year, I am making more per month than my wife who is a 3rd year nurse, with charge nurse duties, chemo treatment certification, ACLS, and a few other things. And I have probably the same or better bennies than you in the army.

Edit: Actually strike that - your bad back that you blew up in the Army might disqualify you in a pre-employment medical exam... So don't get your hopes up.

Ahhahahahahahahahhaha

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Dudes going to jump first chance he gets and disappear from the forum after getting paralyzed.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I don't even know what to say to this dude. His first duty station post deployment and he'll be on suicide watch in his wheelchair.

LMAO like they'll commission your broke rear end

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Vahakyla, stop doing hooah poo poo. I’ve got a buddy that did and now has compression fractures in more than a handful of vertebrae and two bone spurs pressing on his spinal cord that his doctors have already told him will paralyze him from the chest down if they were to break off.

Their solution involves cutting open his side, cracking his ribs, deflating a lung, moving his heart, fixing his poo poo, and then putting it all back.

He said that ain’t gonna happen either.

Get healthy. That retirement ain’t gonna be worth it if you’re in constant pain

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think we collectively have more experience jerkin' it in a portashitter in Iraq/Afghanistan than he does in the Army period, but he knows better than us regarding major injuries and going green to gold, the siren call of all smartass enlisted.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mustang posted:

I lost you here

loving LOL

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Dudes going to jump first chance he gets and disappear from the forum after getting paralyzed.

MARCH ALONG
SING OUR SONG
WITH THE ARMY OF THE FREE

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

COUNT THE BRAVE
COUNT THE TRUEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH

baby...baby help me to the inversion table please!! - Vahaklya 10 months after being medically retired

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was in for five years and I regularly have back problems and have to sit in funny ways. I’m laying down right now on my back and it feels like my spine has a loving lump in it. I sleep on my side because I can’t sleep in any other loving position or else I won’t be able to walk upright tomorrow.

And I was just light infantry.

gently caress you and your dumbass hubris hooah bullshit. I hope you do jump out of a plane again and your leg flies the gently caress off.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If you're on JBLM every morning you have to sing the 7th ID Bayonet Song after Reveille

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey I've never jumped out of a plane but if I landed badly and couldn't get up right after, I'd probably go to medical immediately. I dunno what a partial chute collapse entails but it sounds awfully bad. Actually I just googled it and it sounds loving terrifying.

How the gently caress are you a medic and didn't go run to medical right after? "Hey doc I had a rough one, can you check me out, my chute tried to kill me." That seems pretty reasonable to me?

Doc to doc. Explain that poo poo to me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Viva Miriya posted:

Hey I've never jumped out of a plane but if I landed badly and couldn't get up right after, I'd probably go to medical immediately. I dunno what a partial chute collapse entails but it sounds awfully bad. Actually I just googled it and it sounds loving terrifying.

How the gently caress are you a medic and didn't go run to medical right after? "Hey doc I had a rough one, can you check me out, my chute tried to kill me." That seems pretty reasonable to me?

Doc to doc. Explain that poo poo to me.

I told you he’s trolling and has finally overplayed his hand. He’s probably an IDR alt.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I told you he’s trolling and has finally overplayed his hand. He’s probably an IDR alt.

whose that loving boot on the left

Its even his real name. Like lmao

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I was in for five years and I regularly have back problems and have to sit in funny ways. I’m laying down right now on my back and it feels like my spine has a loving lump in it. I sleep on my side because I can’t sleep in any other loving position or else I won’t be able to walk upright tomorrow.

And I was just light infantry.

gently caress you and your dumbass hubris hooah bullshit. I hope you do jump out of a plane again and your leg flies the gently caress off.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is that the Army has known for years that the sit-ups are basically a recipe for bulged L4/L5 discs and other back injuries and yet they kept in doing it. Yes, something as stupid as PT is probably a primary factor in why half of the people here have back issues.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I'd have to commend him on such an amazing tapestry of work.

Except I don't remember him complaining about Mypay or MILPERS so unless IDR stepped up his game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Viva Miriya posted:

whose that loving boot on the left

Its even his real name. Like lmao

He’s just a good troll. There’s no way someone is this stupid. He should get out and run for president.