Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SniperWoreConverse posted:

aren't there only like two or three wildcats left in north america

No? Actual wildcats (felis silvestris) are not native to North America. Bobcats, which are North American, are very common.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no I mean wildcat in the same sense they meant it, non-domesticated cat species
so like a bobcat.
a lynx. is that even in America?
cougars even though there's probably max 25 on the continent

I forgot jaguars. There's probably other southern cats too so
e:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hel posted:

I don't dislike Modesty's other boyfriends as much as that other goon, but Giles is by far the best one.

I do dislike Modesty's other boyfriends at least as much as that other goon. They are generally garbage people. But Giles is ay-okay by me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Isn't she a little old for the BWAD nonsense?

Also :mad:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

How does she float in microgravity? How is the water staying in the container?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ryde posted:

How does she float in microgravity? How is the water staying in the container?

I'm still betting her baby is born in "zero g" and so will always be floating no matter where they are just like that circus child who's always hanging from a trapeze.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

shortspecialbus posted:

The laws of Magic in Mandrake seem to be pretty fluid and change based on what would either advance the plot or add some sort of vague foil.

OK, I don't always pay a whole lot of attention to Mandrake and I'm never entirely sure I understand it, so I wasn't sure if this was some long-standing rule I'd never noticed or just they made it up out of nowhere.

Johnny Aztec posted:

"It's not magic, it's just Illusions! Except when it's magic"

Or maybe I do understand it after all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In general most of Mandrake's magic is "just" super effective hypnotizing so his target has to see his eyes, but every now and then there's "real" magic like the dimension swapping in the last story.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2008 Spiderman

The Amazing Danger

Dick Tracy

The Last Mechanical Monster

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 14, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (July 31, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (July 10, 1924)

Barney Google (August 30, 1923)

Alley Oop (November 29, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (November 25, 1935)

Dickie Dare (January 8, 1934)

Bringing Up Father (May 10, 1940)

Krazy Kat (May 8, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (May 10, 1937)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Of course staying thin means eating absolutely nothing at all. NOT.

Get hosed, Dustin's parents.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mikl posted:

Of course staying thin means eating absolutely nothing at all. NOT.

Get hosed, Dustin's parents.

That's what I thought at first too, but the word grouping is ambiguous. Good old English. Using parentheses to group the phrases, I think she means:

I don't (eat breakfast and then have donuts before lunch), as I imply you do in order to shame you
     and not
I don't (eat breakfast), in order to starve myself thin, and then I have donuts before lunch, because bulimia I guess?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

That's what I thought at first too, but the word grouping is ambiguous. Good old English. Using parentheses to group the phrases, I think she means:

I don't (eat breakfast and then have donuts before lunch), as I imply you do in order to shame you
     and not
I don't (eat breakfast), in order to starve myself thin, and then I have donuts before lunch, because bulimia I guess?

It's pretty clearly the fist one. She's shaming him for having very fattening snacks between mealtimes.

Of course, she just doesn't favor donuts. She just drinks 1200 calorie lattes or whatever

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix knows you have to tell it if you're a cop.

1. Best time is Wednesday at approximately 10 AM. Minimal foot traffic, prior to deposit. The vault's most likely open for receipt then. The guard on a reduced schedule is more likely to have a medical condition. That said, you need to know when the vault's open. You got to hit them during a count or deposit round, or you're getting a few thousand from the night deposit, tops. The rest of this assumes you're hitting while the vault's open, the poo poo's out of its boxes, and that it's a low traffic period.

2. I'd use three men (hereafter A, B, C).
Guy A should be the one you trust with details under pressure.
Guy B needs to be stable. He can't have an itchy trigger finger.
Guy C is your bag man. He'll be handling the tellers.
You'll need some people to case, which I'll cover later. You don't need a driver.
Equipment is pistols and something with an auto toggle, mostly for show. Gloves. Camera coverage is pretty comprehensive, so masks are a must. I recommend body armor as well. You never know who's carrying. Buy everything cash, out of town.

Stress to the crew that this is a rush job- you're not going to be able to stop the call going out, so you need to be gone before things get closed down. The time window's about 10 minutes tops. You're aiming for five.

Casing:
Whomever you've got casing can't be on the main dance team- and they should have full deniability. Give them their share when things cool off.
Have two possible swap spots for vehicles. Use common cars, used, in generic colors. Silver and dark SUVs are great for this poo poo. Don't bother with tinting, it's a giveaway. Cash, used, fake out of state plates.

Entry:
The front door's hardened, and the back service door is likely to be on a magnetic lock. I recommend casing the place and seeing if it's left open. If so, the group should rush it.
If not, look for a fire ladder- those stairs have to go somewhere, and there'll be another point of egress under fire code.
Entry is at 10 AM. A should have an alarm on, LOUD, and with a generic sound, for 10:04.

Locking the joint down:
10:00
A, B and C rush the guard and get him down, along with anyone in the lobby. Alive if he complies, plug him if not. He'll have a pager- take it off him. Get everyone visible on the ground.
C should immediately rush the teller box and get them down. They'll probably have hit an alarm at this point-that's fine. If not, great. Assume a silent alarm is active anyway.

10:01
A pulls people out of the front offices and pulls the lock switch on the front door.
B holds the lobby down and keeps an eye on the stairs.
C gets the tellers out of the box and down. If it's more than one or two people and it'll take too long, C tells them not to move around or he'll kill them. If they move around, kill them.

Getting the stuff:
10:02
Ignore the teller box. That poo poo's peanuts, and it's got transponders and dye packs. The score's the unmarked poo poo in the vault.
C gets in the vault, gets the poo poo in bags and tosses it out in the lobby.
A and B are keeping poo poo tight in the lobby.

Getting out:
10:04
A's alarm goes off. Everyone grabs what they can and leaves out the back, together. No ferrying poo poo, no getting greedy, no sticking around because no one's visible.
No one leaves until everyone leaves.
Get to the car, get to a swap spot, and get away. Take all your poo poo with you. Spare bags, masks, everything. You are not coming back to that state. Avoid toll roads.

Getting away:
Burn all your poo poo, including the last car the group uses. Anything on paper's too traceable. Deeds and bonds are worthless, burn them too.
Don't spend the cash. Gotta launder it and anything else you grab. I can hook you up with a guy, FAUXTON, he'll give you a good rate.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
For all you din dongs that care about Garfield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJxgZpmWKc

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Of course, she just doesn't favor donuts. She just drinks 1200 calorie lattes or whatever
Would that be the medium or large latte?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Would that be the medium or large latte?

pfft no it will have a fake Italian name

i do get it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Think I found a proto-Ballard Street in the funny pictures thread:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gloomy Rube posted:

This is dumb but on the other hand if he is actually going to let ~the jock~ find love + happiness then I am pleasantly surprised.
I thought Barry was going to wind up with the widow single mother in the office.

F Minus

The day we've all been waiting for.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

It's OK Heloise you were just being polite.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Maybe there is a tradition of seeing roadside attractions in the US, but that doesn't make it interesting to watch.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

And I forgot about this but we have an official new comic strip, Daddy Daze!

Wow! There's a strip going right for the jugular right up front, huh? Gonna get a lot of letters about this one!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That is some heinous ugly poo poo

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Maybe there is a tradition of seeing roadside attractions in the US, but that doesn't make it interesting to watch.

It used to be a thing; I remember family members planning day trips to see stuff, so I can totally see these guys doing a trip like this.

There's a whole series of books:

(The peanut there is the stuff of nightmares.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

TofuDiva posted:

It used to be a thing; I remember family members planning day trips to see stuff, so I can totally see these guys doing a trip like this.

There's a whole series of books:

(The peanut there is the stuff of nightmares.)
It is absolutely something I would do and have done, and I am aware of TV shows and books where they show this stuff, so obviously it can be interesting. I should have said is "This is really boring here in this strip" and I went a little too far with my criticism.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (March 6-7, 1931)

Peanuts (June 21-22, 1971)

Funky OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE, STOP TRYING TO MAKE GRANDPA GOOGLE A THING!

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way: Modern times have been stupid recently. What we need is more BOYZENDORGZ. (June 29-30, 1931)

Thimble Theater (January 11-12, 1935)

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

It is absolutely something I would do and have done, and I am aware of TV shows and books where they show this stuff, so obviously it can be interesting. I should have said is "This is really boring here in this strip" and I went a little too far with my criticism.

And I should have added in my post that I actually agree with you; strip after strip of the guys talking about weird Roadside America stuff in their hotel room (instead of showing them actually visiting weird stuff) is pretty boring. At least today they showed, instead of just told.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Wow! There's a strip going right for the jugular right up front, huh? Gonna get a lot of letters about this one!

The Bloop posted:

That is some heinous ugly poo poo

I am going to try to give it a few weeks before I pass judgement but at the moment I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment, except throw in "painfully unfunny" and "trying to be edgy and failing".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely nothing they've seen on this trip is worth going out of your way for.

This might seem like a fairly innocuous Kevin & Kell strip, but god dammit, if those are useful plants then why are they classified as weeds? And if it's because they grow abundantly and without effort then who would pay money for them?

Kudzu is edible and grows abundantly, but is still a weed

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

It's not quite new -- it used to be called Dadding Badly and was on Gocomics, although it seems to have been pulled. Kovaleski used to do a strip called Bo Nanas (still being rerun on Gocomics) that I thought was pretty funny, definitely better than this.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Harley

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

[cultural note: takoyaki are one of the best snacks. basically you take a weird knob of octopus (tako) flesh, put it in wheat batter then yaku (grill) the gently caress out of it before slathering it in sauces and other bits. you end up with these awesome little balls covered in flavour that easily break apart in your mouth to deliver a nondescript slightly chewy meat along with a kind-of pus-like sauce from the interior that is three or four hundred degrees hotter than the surrounding batter.]

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

takoyaki is extremely good, yes, but i feel a little uncomfortable eating animals that are more intelligent than some humans. i wonder if there's a good vegan alternative... surely it can't be too hard to replicate that rubbery texture

e: some cursory research tells me mushrooms would work pretty well

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 20, 2018

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

SniperWoreConverse posted:

no I mean wildcat in the same sense they meant it, non-domesticated cat species
so like a bobcat.
a lynx. is that even in America?
cougars even though there's probably max 25 on the continent

I forgot jaguars. There's probably other southern cats too so
e:

Bobcats aren't too big, they're a little smaller than a medium-sized dog and they're pretty common around wooded areas. Mountain lions (cougars) are much bigger and less common, but there's still a fair number of them. I used to live in Colorado and our population of them in just that state was estimated at about 9000.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

Hjalmar posted:

takoyaki is extremely good, yes, but i feel a little uncomfortable eating animals that are more intelligent than some humans. i wonder if there's a good vegan alternative...

Being a little harsh on vegans aren't you?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hjalmar posted:

takoyaki is extremely good, yes, but i feel a little uncomfortable eating animals that are more intelligent than some humans. i wonder if there's a good vegan alternative... surely it can't be too hard to replicate that rubbery texture

e: some cursory research tells me mushrooms would work pretty well
If it helps, intelligence is a bullshit stat that means nothing when applied cross-functionally. Octopuses are high-level problem solvers, but what does that actually mean? Does human-level problem solving correlate to human-level understanding and empathy? We emotionally value dogs highly despite the fact that unlike octopuses we can't seal them in a jar and amuse ourselves watching them figure out how to escape before asphyxiating. Pigs are incredibly smart and empathetic creatures that form one of the major sources of meat in the western world. Cows have a reputation of being stupid, but like sheep that perception is only because we have intentionally bred and bullied them over the years to be easy for us to handle in large numbers for food. Ravens have a higher innate number sense than we suspect many human civilisations had up into the 20th century (based on their number systems).

The truth is that the only kind of meat that isn't intelligent in a great degree in the sense that we know and can connect to is that of insects. It is only our remove from them that allows us to pretend that each or any of these animals is more or less worthwhile than the other and should or should not be eaten.

There is no ethical consumption. All the world is born to die.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i am humbled by the cruelty of the universe. gently caress it let's get sushi

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hjalmar posted:

i am humbled by the cruelty of the universe. gently caress it let's get sushi

Might as well splurge and get the human veal.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Breaking Cat News

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

Please don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

My Lovely Horse posted:

Think I found a proto-Ballard Street in the funny pictures thread:

This is most excellent.