Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not a crazy long handle so it really is about as strong as makes sense. Above that you really need an impact tool.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the noise. I find myself reaching for the 1/4 screwdriver style one for small stuff with good clearance because it's so much quieter. But it's very much worth it as a tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Door Frame posted:

55 ft/lbs max torque seems kind of low for a $150 power tool, but the reviews on them are ridiculously positive

M12 it is, then

Are you sure you weren’t looking at a spec sheet for the m12 impact *driver* instead of the impact *wrench*?

The driver is great for long screws and drywalling your basement. The wrench is the one with tons of torque in a small package.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Are you sure you weren’t looking at a spec sheet for the m12 impact *driver* instead of the impact *wrench*?

The driver is great for long screws and drywalling your basement. The wrench is the one with tons of torque in a small package.

this is what he's referring to

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-3-8-in-Ratchet-Tool-Only-2557-20/302451803

i have the non fuel one that does 35lb-ft but i dont find it to be the most useful thing ever. but not a bad tool. i'd only recommend it as part of a promotional combo kit, definitely not worth 150 bucks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BraveUlysses posted:

this is what he's referring to

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-3-8-in-Ratchet-Tool-Only-2557-20/302451803

i have the non fuel one that does 35lb-ft but i dont find it to be the most useful thing ever. but not a bad tool. i'd only recommend it as part of a promotional combo kit, definitely not worth 150 bucks.

I guess the part about replacing a drill with a 3/8 adapter threw me.

Yea, I got mine as part of a CPO MKE bundle too. Definitely my least-used tool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got the old brushed version. Plenty strong, and you can use it as a ratchet to break stuff free.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Reminder that if you ain't got an impact screwdriver in your drawer of "tools that I rarely use but cannot do without", you are loving up.

https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-290...r+hammer+impact

https://smile.amazon.com/Capri-Tool...r+hammer+impact

https://smile.amazon.com/Agile-shop...r+hammer+impact

I've got the one from Harbor Freight, and it sat on my shelf for probably 4 months before I needed it, but holy crap I'm glad I have it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Be sure to get impact bits!

RIP non impact torx bit. :(

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

I've got the old brushed version. Plenty strong, and you can use it as a ratchet to break stuff free.

Taking one of those to the Junkyard is like using a turbo power up. You won’t ever fight another piece in the way, just disassemble everything in the vicinity and let the nuts and bolts die in the dirt.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I broke mine using it as a ratchet to break something loose so don’t go too crazy on it. I have weak little baby arms and am pretty gentle on equipment so it surprised me when the thing snapped.

Replacement piece was only $15 or so though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Am I crazy, or isn't the purpose of a powered ratchet to quickly drive already broken loose nuts and bolts in/out of tight spaces where you'd otherwise have to use an open end wrench on, making a quarter turn or less before having to flip the wrench over?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Can I use crowsfoot wrenches as flair nut wrenches in a pinch?

Geoj posted:

Am I crazy, or isn't the purpose of a powered ratchet to quickly drive already broken loose nuts and bolts in/out of tight spaces where you'd otherwise have to use an open end wrench on, making a quarter turn or less before having to flip the wrench over?

Oh yeah, I can break it free with a larger wrench and then use the electric one to do the rest of the work
I have a box of tools for a reason :doh:

E: I suppose that any crescent wrench would work "in a pinch", but would crowsfoot wrenches do only a small amount of damage to the flair nut?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 17, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be extremely careful but unless it's a crowsfoot flare wrench, it's not going to be any better than a regular open wrench, unless you're using the term differently.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd be extremely careful but unless it's a crowsfoot flare wrench, it's not going to be any better than a regular open wrench, unless you're using the term differently.

This.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, there's where my confusion came from. I thought all crowsfoot wrenches were flair wrenches for some reason. I kept seeing warnings against using crowsfoot wrenches on brake line fittings, but didn't realize that they made regular crescent style crowsfoot wrenches

I need to get a set of the flair ones, since brake/clutch/ power steering lines are never in easy to reach places

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey does anyone know if those metal cutting blades for miter saws do a good job? I only recently found out those were a thing and it would be great to use one tool for both metal and wood.

Those teeth look awfully aggressive for steel.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
My dad swears by the aluminum cutting version. TBQH, the noise it makes always scares the hell out of me, but they work surprisingly well.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

um excuse me posted:

Hey does anyone know if those metal cutting blades for miter saws do a good job? I only recently found out those were a thing and it would be great to use one tool for both metal and wood.

Those teeth look awfully aggressive for steel.
I've never been disappointed with a diablo blade and also have an aluminum cutting version which is great. I didn't know about the steel demon, but after looking at some demo videos I just decided to pick up one for my 12" miter saw.

Keep in mind the 7 1/4" version you posted has a max 1/8" wall thickness (for some shapes only? see asterisk on your blade image).

Regarding the tooth profile, I found a short product vid where they mention that it has alternating flat and triple chip grind teeth, for whatever that's worth:
(edit: oh its also diagram'd on the blade image you posted, duh)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpenLv7dQU

I wouldn't use a specialized metal blade to also cut wood though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

They chatter and are generally semi-dangerous, but they do work. The 1/8" max part is important. If it's much thinner, a MDF/osb/etc backer (on the top) helps a tooon.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Electric ratchets are fantastic, way faster, way less wear on your joints. I own this thing https://store.snapon.com/CTR767-Ser...y--P928792.aspx and it’s awesome. Wouldn’t buy it if you weren’t using it every day though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Home Depot has a $200 Milwaukee m12 kit right now that includes a ratchet, hackzall, drill, impact driver, flashlight and two batteries.

Non-Fuel, but still a pretty killer deal I think.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...98-25/304708058

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

eddiewalker posted:

Home Depot has a $200 Milwaukee m12 kit right now that includes a ratchet, hackzall, drill, impact driver, flashlight and two batteries.

Man, if I didn't already have 3 of those tools, I'd be all over that. I love my M12 stuff.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

eddiewalker posted:

That's only a 1/4" hex impact driver - no good for automotive use but good if building a deck or house renos

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fo3 posted:

That's only a 1/4" hex impact driver - no good for automotive use but good if building a deck or house renos

I said impact driver not impact wrench.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I use the loving poo poo out of my 1/4” hex impact driver when working on my cars. Modern 1/4” drivers are beefy as gently caress and make disassembly/reassembly fast as easy.

Way lighter than a 1/2” one too, I barely ever use my big impact anymore because the 1/4” does 90% of what I need at 1/4 the weight

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I just got the 1/4" impact driver in a combo and I've been using the hell out of it lately. Disassembled my old workbench with it and it didn't struggle a bit even on the big 4" lag screws. I'll still use the screwdriver for assembling wood stuff since I can adjust the torque, but the impact is a loving dream for teardowns.

Speaking of which, new workbench/tool storage is the jam. Still need to mount the vise and pick a spot for the grinder.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

I use the loving poo poo out of my 1/4” hex impact driver when working on my cars. Modern 1/4” drivers are beefy as gently caress and make disassembly/reassembly fast as easy.

Way lighter than a 1/2” one too, I barely ever use my big impact anymore because the 1/4” does 90% of what I need at 1/4 the weight

Yeah, I use mine all the time when pulling tires. It's not enough to break a lug, or torque it down when putting tires back on, but it sure makes taking the lug nuts off and putting them back on a lot easier.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The m18 1/4" impact driver can back off nuts torqued to around 60-70 ft-lb in my experience. It's no wimp.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fo3 posted:

.... So in other words everything that isn't wheels/suspension/brakes and basically the handiest thing you'll ever buy if you regularly turn fasteners? That's what you meant right?

eddiewalker posted:

:retrogames: :homebrew:

Ordered. Been waiting on a good deal to pop up... Now just hope it doesn't go missing from my work truck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure how many of you are woodworkers, but if you are and are on the Milwaukee ecosystem, they have released a Fuel 18 table saw with a 12 AH battery. Thing should rip like nobody's business.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Woodworking/Table-Saws/2736-21HD

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I use the 1/4" impact to back out Honda crankshaft bolts.

(just kidding)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

angryrobots posted:

.... So in other words everything that isn't wheels/suspension/brakes and basically the handiest thing you'll ever buy if you regularly turn fasteners? That's what you meant right?
Yeah, if you have a house. I don't anymore so my car is the only thing I work on.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can I run anything else off of a 6-gallon pancake compressor besides nail guns? I really only see myself nailing things, just wondering.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Light duty impact wrench usage, die grinders, grease guns, etc.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Filling tires, cleaning with compressed air, and limited air tool use (i have used an air ratchet on a small compressor). But nail guns are probably the handiest and hardest to replace with electric tools. A brad nailer is a life saver for doing trim.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thirded. Impact gun work is now just as well done (if not better) with a good electric.

The only air tools I have that I probably won't ever replace with an electric are a hammer and a nailer.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I use my m12 1/4 impact driver daily working on tractors fwiw.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Recommendations for a cleaner for the intake valves etc on a petrol direct injection engine? Think it might improve my mate's car, but don't want to dismantle stuff, damage anything, or clag up the cat.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, there's where my confusion came from. I thought all crowsfoot wrenches were flair wrenches for some reason. I kept seeing warnings against using crowsfoot wrenches on brake line fittings, but didn't realize that they made regular crescent style crowsfoot wrenches

I need to get a set of the flair ones, since brake/clutch/ power steering lines are never in easy to reach places
I have crowsfoot wrenches that have a bit of a flare wrench shape to them, and I always use them in preference to normal flare wrenches on tight stuff. Even open crowsfoot designs can be better than the "proper" flare wrenches, as in my experience cent hey have more meat to them and flex less.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Can you get SeaFoam?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Recommendations for a cleaner for the intake valves etc on a petrol direct injection engine? Think it might improve my mate's car, but don't want to dismantle stuff, damage anything, or clag up the cat.

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/shop-by-brand/bg/bg-44k-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner.html

BG44K

Has a higher amount of the active ingredient than other stuff on the market and seems to get good reviews.

E: skipped over the 'direct' bit, obviously

spog fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
If that stuff goes in the tank, it won't do poo poo for his valves.