Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks! I'll try this tactic out. And that first armored guy with the sword has been super easy, haven't died to him once, which makes his mace-wielding friend that much more aggravating

1. Swordsman starting weapons
2. Heide is the only path out of Majula I've found so far. I actually wasn't sure if there WAS any other path out of there. Based on your question though I'm gonna creep around Majula some more and examine it more carefully.

I just finished all of Witcher 3 + DLCs, so I need to readjust my gameplay habits again lol. No Witcher vision to help me here!

Thanks! I'll try this once I find a club or mace. Can I powerstance clubs/maces?

Not counting the way in from Things Betwixt, there are actually five paths out of Majula. One you’ve already found. One is easily visible from the bonfire there. One isn’t open until you complete Heide. One is hidden in plain sight. One is not so much hidden as poorly placed.

You can powerstance just about anything as long as you have the stats. Powerstancing maces actually used to be considered a really good build for early game, it trivialized a number of early bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah, I saw the well with all the bloodstains around it from people jumping down, so I'm aware of two paths out of Majula. I watched like a half-dozen people fall to their death on the ledge you're clearly meant to land on, so I haven't even bothered trying to jump down the well yet

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

2. Heide is the only path out of Majula I've found so far. I actually wasn't sure if there WAS any other path out of there. Based on your question though I'm gonna creep around Majula some more and examine it more carefully.

Djeser posted:

The "intended" route is down from the bonfire, but the whole game is more loose in structure, so feel free to poke along in any direction you find.

;)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

While the game is pretty sandboxy, the 'intended' first area ends up unlocking a couple different resources in Majula, so it's definitely worth doing to get some extra vendors hanging around your hub.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ya starting with Heide is not quite the same as going to the skeleton party in DS1, but the other "first path" is simpler for sure.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dks2 is pretty crazy in regards to routes you can take. Technically you can make Darklurker be the very first boss you face.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's why SOTFS is my fav. It's incredibly easy to get most non-dlc weapons and armor.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

Dks2 is pretty crazy in regards to routes you can take. Technically you can make Darklurker be the very first boss you face.

How does this one work? How do you get to Drangleic Castle without the great souls?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gully Foyle posted:

How does this one work? How do you get to Drangleic Castle without the great souls?

Do the tedious work of grinding a million souls without fighting any bosses.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rubellavator posted:

Gully Foyle posted:

King of Solomon posted:

Do the tedious work of grinding a million souls without fighting any bosses.

I accidentally did this on my first run. I didn't even realize there were other bosses besides Darklurker. I ignored everything the NPCs said about great souls (dumbshit exposition, most likely) and figured I just had to get my grind on.

I'm lying.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ohhhh, once I opened my stupid eyes I found the path into the forest of giants. Yeah this is way more reasonable lol

Also, I'm already level 20, is that normal in this game cuz that seems high as gently caress

Simply Simon posted:

Ya starting with Heide is not quite the same as going to the skeleton party in DS1, but the other "first path" is simpler for sure.
:darksouls:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ohhhh, once I opened my stupid eyes I found the path into the forest of giants. Yeah this is way more reasonable lol

Also, I'm already level 20, is that normal in this game cuz that seems high as gently caress

:darksouls:

It's normal. You level up way faster in DS2 than in the other games (which is nice, considering the ADP tax)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I actually did Heide on my first character but when I tried it again on my dex character I kept getting destroyed so I did like 2 or 3rd. So ya it kinda depends on how you play but it is nowhere near as hard as original DS1 Skeleton Party where they couldn't even be killed.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Hahaha, fuuuuuuck Lost Sinner. Am I incapable of gauging his reach, or does his sword just always hit you whenever its pointed in your general direction? I've been trying to roll around him, but should I be trying to parry? I'm awful at parrying, but it can't go much worse than dodging has.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Dark Souls II has a much gentler leveling curve than the other games, so you'll get levels quicker than usual and the cost for leveling doesn't ramp up quite so much at higher levels, so you can easily hit SL140 on NG without trying to grind.

Personally I'm trying to make a run to finish out the achievements, because I've never bothered to finish out getting all the miracles/spells/pyromancies/hexes. The NG+ changes in some places are pretty wild I freaked the heck out when Freyja popped up halfway through Tseldora, but just ran past her and she didn't show up again :( though there's one or two changes I'm not super into Magma Mansion did not need more enemies dammit :mad:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Morality_Police posted:

Hahaha, fuuuuuuck Lost Sinner. Am I incapable of gauging his reach, or does his sword just always hit you whenever its pointed in your general direction? I've been trying to roll around him, but should I be trying to parry? I'm awful at parrying, but it can't go much worse than dodging has.
You might be able to parry Sinner (I legitimately don't know), but for the few bosses other than Percy that you can parry, it won't do much; they'll just get stunned for like a second (okay, that's...one free hit) and you can't riposte 'em. So don't try that.

Did you make the room light up? It's maybe easier if you can see better. Apart from that, the sword hitbox is a little...ungenerous to you, but it should be consistent enough with where the model is. How high is your Agility, or did you maybe not level Adaptability at all? Because that would mean that you get hit "unfairly" - your roll animation is the same, but your i-frames run out quicker.

Maybe start learning the fight with a shield as well (by now you should have 100% block options), and try less rolling, more circling around. A surprising amount of attacks in DS2 can be dodged by walking in the right direction!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morality_Police posted:

Lost Sinner has very wide sword swings. You can get a 100% blockrate shield from the blacksmith in Lost Bastille that'll let you block her easily. If you'd prefer rolling, you have to (counterintuitively) roll directly into her swings instead of trying to roll to the left or the right. If you have sufficient iframes and time it right, you'll completely avoid her damage.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks! I'll try this once I find a club or mace. Can I powerstance clubs/maces?
You can, you can powerstance a lot of things in DS2. All those giant oversized 2h clubs and swords from 1? You can powerstance them, even bigger bossweapons? Can usually be powerstanced np. There is even a set of specific shields you can powerstance.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

This screencap is from a random youtube video, but...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
RE: the blue smelter demon, for my first time kill I farmed out all of the enemies on the way to it and then I did a dual summon to for aggro control while I chipped with a poisoned weapon. Second time through I just went pure magic resist and killed it under a minute.

Djeser posted:

My beginner advice:
Do a lot of poking around in Majula, there's a good amount of secret poo poo hidden there.

I wanna shout this to you thunderbeast, DO NOT JOIN THE COMPANY OF CHAMPIONS. The game doesn't tell you what it does but it makes you take 33% MORE damage and you deal 20% LESS damage and YOU CAN NO LONGER SUMMON NPC'S.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zedd posted:

You can, you can powerstance a lot of things in DS2. All those giant oversized 2h clubs and swords from 1? You can powerstance them, even bigger bossweapons? Can usually be powerstanced np. There is even a set of specific shields you can powerstance.

King of Solomon posted:

This screencap is from a random youtube video, but...

:aaa:

BattleTech posted:

I wanna shout this to you thunderbeast, DO NOT JOIN THE COMPANY OF CHAMPIONS. The game doesn't tell you what it does but it makes you take 33% MORE damage and you deal 20% LESS damage and YOU CAN NO LONGER SUMMON NPC'S.
Thanks for this! I found the covenant but it was suspiciously front-and-center and easy to join, plus I'd literally never heard anyone even mention that covenant before, so I didn't touch it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

:aaa:

Thanks for this! I found the covenant but it was suspiciously front-and-center and easy to join, plus I'd literally never heard anyone even mention that covenant before, so I didn't touch it.

It's for grinding drops. You get slightly higher drop rates and can no longer genocide enemies. There's also a grind for killing invaders and a few tougher normal enemies to unlock a ring that lets you powerstance your bare hands and buffs them to decent damage.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh that's pretty cool. Sounds like a good one for ng+ and on, once I know what I'm doing

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

To be fair, if you try to join it, it does say "by the way, this is a tough path to take, are you sure?" I was playing blind and I took a look at that and went "oh, no thanks". But yeah, it mostly just makes things harder, disables despawning, and locks you out of summoning co-op phantoms. I used it back when I was first playing because I'd ran out of Human Effigies, but unless you need to farm for something, it's not super useful.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You might wanna speak to the gent at the monument to join his covenant for a bit. He has a nice ring for you.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

dis astranagant posted:

It's for grinding drops. You get slightly higher drop rates and can no longer genocide enemies.

Notably, it de-genocides already genocided enemies. This is super useful if you decide that you want a specific armor set.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc there's one exception - the piglets at majula will eventually despawn regardless of covenant.

I was growing tired of their hitboxes their grunts anyway

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

You might be able to parry Sinner (I legitimately don't know), but for the few bosses other than Percy that you can parry, it won't do much; they'll just get stunned for like a second (okay, that's...one free hit) and you can't riposte 'em. So don't try that.

The Lost Sinner can be parried, but she recovers so fast it's pointless. I don't even know if you can get one hit in.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

double nine posted:

iirc there's one exception - the piglets at majula will eventually despawn regardless of covenant.

I was growing tired of their hitboxes their grunts anyway

I died so many times to the piggies in DS2 vanilla.

How you ask? Whatever starting class+weapon combo I had on my very first character would 95% of the time swing over or around the little piggies. I was trying to quick farm them for few levels so I could buffer the learning curve with stats. Then as my HP dropped to 50% of max and the Ring of Binding was still off in Heide's Tower while I fumbled in Majula with peaceful (undead?) farm animals... it became about revenge :cry:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I rerolled from a str build powerstancing a +10 bandit axe and a +5 dragonslayer crescent axe into a more dex focused build, and dang if a +10 murakumo and a black scorpion stinger aren't making the game almost too easy. I might have to finally try using a bonfire aestetic

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Vermain posted:

If you'd prefer rolling, you have to (counterintuitively) roll directly into her swings instead of trying to roll to the left or the right. If you have sufficient iframes and time it right, you'll completely avoid her damage.

That actually is working, thanks. I still got mowed down, but I got her a lot further. Much obliged!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Whalley posted:

I rerolled from a str build powerstancing a +10 bandit axe and a +5 dragonslayer crescent axe into a more dex focused build, and dang if a +10 murakumo and a black scorpion stinger aren't making the game almost too easy. I might have to finally try using a bonfire aestetic

You have stumbled onto my all time favorite DS2 build. Big sweeps, precise stabs, poison, and even parries depsnding on where you hold the stinger.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Where all can you get Slabs in SotFS? I have two in my inventory and I've used one, and yet the only one that I've actually picked up that's mentioned on any of the Wikis is the one from killing Prowling Magus. I haven't gotten to any of the late game areas where they drop and I haven't done any of the other mentioned events that give you one either. I swear I picked up one the first time I killed the workers in the spike-filled room just before Freja, but I can't find any mention of that being possible online. I have a feeling that I might have picked one up in the poison in Harvest Valley as well but again, there's no mention of that online. I guess the Wiki is just massively out of date (probably predating Scholar).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Volte posted:

Where all can you get Slabs in SotFS? I have two in my inventory and I've used one, and yet the only one that I've actually picked up that's mentioned on any of the Wikis is the one from killing Prowling Magus. I haven't gotten to any of the late game areas where they drop and I haven't done any of the other mentioned events that give you one either. I swear I picked up one the first time I killed the workers in the spike-filled room just before Freja, but I can't find any mention of that being possible online. I have a feeling that I might have picked one up in the poison in Harvest Valley as well but again, there's no mention of that online. I guess the Wiki is just massively out of date (probably predating Scholar).

Sure you didn't use a lockstone in FoFG?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's one you can grab in the Forest of Fallen Giants, at the bottom of the ballista room behind a Pharros Lockstone door.

Also which wiki are you using? Fextralife and Wikia show up more often on Google results but tend to be crap for the Soulsborne games, while Wikidot is comprehensive for everything but some esoteric bits from Bloodborne. In particular you can check the latter's page for slabs here.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Pretty sure the only Lockstone I've used thus far is turn the lights on in No Man's Wharf.

edit: I checked all the Wikis I could find: wikidot, fextralife, wikia

edit 2: Confirmed, just grabbed the one at Forest of Fallen Giants. Now I've got 3 v:shobon:v

Volte fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 20, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did you bellbro for your chunks? You get slabs from that every now and then.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
No, haven't done any online stuff. Pretty sure I've just found all my chunks, haven't farmed for them.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's a good "build" for a new player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
There’s one in the spikes in tseldora. Fextralife mentions it, make sure you’re looking at the dx11 version of the page if you’re playing sotfs because things can be different.