Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

golden bubble posted:

Sentinels of the Multiverse can be fun, but it's an extremely fiddly board game, with lots of +1, +2, -1 modifiers everywhere. Also, you need to move to the advanced character decks as fast as possible. The simplistic character decks basically play themselves. Most of those players stuck with simply superheroes spent most of the game on their phones, and it didn't hold up the game because those decks were just that auto-pilot.

Big reason why I think the Steam version is the way to go with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know what else I'm tired of? Long skill list! I'm tired of having to memorize new skills every game and getting confused on which one to use and getting judged by my players for not knowing it. I'm tired of setting difficulties for tasks and having players question if that's right or fight me on it. I'm tired of players not just accepting failure and letting me fail them forward but instead fighting me all the way because they can't have the characters lose in any such fashion. I'm tired of people just interrupting me while I'm talking.

I'm tired of having to strain together stories from the random happenstance of the game. Of course the players help you out, but that can get discordant and it's very hard to make it satisfying and you always end up just running out of ideas and it always becomes a jumbled mess.

I'm so loving done making NPC's. I hate building them in the rules for most games and I hate having to make a new personality and getting mocked because I don't have good vocal range or having to work around and if I didn't plan enough about it or if I just had to make the NPC on the spot.

Man, am I done.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Have you considered a game that isn't Dungeons and Dragons

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

You know what else I'm tired of? Long skill list! I'm tired of having to memorize new skills every game and getting confused on which one to use and getting judged by my players for not knowing it. I'm tired of setting difficulties for tasks and having players question if that's right or fight me on it. I'm tired of players not just accepting failure and letting me fail them forward but instead fighting me all the way because they can't have the characters lose in any such fashion. I'm tired of people just interrupting me while I'm talking.
sounds like your players suck, maybe tell them to shut up once in a while

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yawgmoth posted:

sounds like your players suck, maybe tell them to shut up once in a while

fool_of_sound posted:

Have you considered a game that isn't Dungeons and Dragons

I'm not just talking about Dungeons & Dragons. I've been talkin about all the games I've played over the last few years, since I started gaming in 2011. That's running the gauntlet. I've played everything from powered by the apocalypse to fate to Star Wars Fantasy Flight two masks to Urban Shadows to exalted 3rd Edition to Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition to Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition to Tenra Bansho Zero to Marvel Heroic roleplaying to Chuubos to Legends of the Five Rings 4th edition to Burning Wheel to Dungeon Crawl classics to World Wide Wrestling to 13th Age to mutants and masterminds to Dragon Age to better angels to Delta green to Legend of the elements to fellowship tp dungeon world to even more games I don't care to list. Yes, since I started in 2011, I've run campaigns that usually lasts around six months in all those games. In college I often ran three to four games at the same time.

I've played a lot. And it's always with a different group because my schedule changes and I recruit off the internet. Sometimes players are loving awesome. I've had great players. Some of them post this forum. So I've had good players. But I've also had really bad players like people bringing grenades to IRL games or someone trying to rape a baby dragon or somebody going on constant racist rants. Like a lot of poo poo that I've had to deal with and kick people out of and just nasty poo poo like that. So while I've had great players, I've also had shity players. So I know that that changes and it all depends on who I can get down for the game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Uhhh the guy who brought the grenade sounds cooler than you

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Covok, buddy, I say this in all kindness but you should probably take a posting break, probably until you've had some sleep.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Covok, buddy, I say this in all kindness but you should probably take a posting break, probably until you've had some sleep.

Yeah, you're right. I had a stressful day at work and I think I let it pour out in that manner which was probably not appropriate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I like the skill system concept that several different OSR games have used where your skills are primarily determined by your class and often whatever occupation your character had prior to becoming an adventurer(and sometimes your culture and/or race as well), so if it's something your character could reasonably be assumed to be able to do because of any of those than they'd be skilled in it

It's a pretty simple yet intuitive concept in my opinion

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Delta Green has a Bundle of Holding

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/DeltaGreen2

http://www.delta-green.com/2018/06/the-delta-green-2-bundle-of-holding-is-now-live/

quote:

Agents, we’re fighting for humanity here with a Delta Green +2 Bundle of Holding!

Specifically, Human Rights Watch. Ten percent of your payment (after payment gateway fees) will be donated to them, a worth cause for Agents worried about the fate of the world.

Right now until July 3, you have the chance to fight for humanity away from the table AND get a great deal on Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game PDFs.

For just $12.95 you get all three titles in our Agent Collection (retail value $40), including the Agent’s Handbook (plus the Need to Know quickstart rules and other play aids) and two Delta Green fiction collections: Tales from Failed Anatomies by DG co-creator Dennis Detwiller (funded partly through his Patreon campaign) and the anthology Extraordinary Renditions, with stories by Kenneth Hite, Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan, all the original DG creators, and many more.

And if you pay more than the threshold price of $25.65, you’ll level up and also get our entire Handler Collection with four more titles worth an additional $65, including the DG Handler’s Guide rulebook and Handler’s Screen reference charts, the new six-scenario collection A Night at the Opera, and the ready-to-play introductory scenario Kali Ghati.

Don’t wait, contribute to a good cause now.

This is an incredible deal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I rarely bother with Bundle of Holding offers, as they often feel still kinda overpriced, especially for how pathetically low the payout to the charities are

But then I'm of the opinion that most things sold in electronic formats are massively overpriced in general(like there's only a handful of books that I think actually deserve to be sold for more than 10 bucks, and even that should be rare, most honestly should be in the under 5 dollar range)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So that stupid son of a bitch RPGpundit is reportedly trying to start what can only be called D&D gamergate.

From what I can tell it started with Jeremy Crawford posting this:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1008872440544485376

And this idiotic reply:

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/1008915981283090433

And snowballed into "DnD is being ruined by SJWs". They're going after the podcasts and pretty much every other thing that's made DnD not exclusive to disgusting horrible nerds in the past 10 years or so as proof of some conspiracy to take D&D away from real fans.

So far the twitter trends are overwhelmingly dunking on the very idea, but with the way these things tend to go, I say keep an eye out and brace yourselves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I rarely bother with Bundle of Holding offers, as they often feel still kinda overpriced, especially for how pathetically low the payout to the charities are

But then I'm of the opinion that most things sold in electronic formats are massively overpriced in general(like there's only a handful of books that I think actually deserve to be sold for more than 10 bucks, and even that should be rare, most honestly should be in the under 5 dollar range)

Most games aren't sold at a high enough price tbh, and that's including digital versions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not about to post the following in an attempt to convince Covok to keep playing, because I do think they need the break if they feel like it, but rather to commiserate:

Much like my actual work, DMing is a constant battle to get the most done with the littlest work involved. There are systems where you don't have to set the DCs yourself, and there are systems tell you what the DCs are supposed to be for you and you can simply rely on those, and there are systems where NPCs are not significantly difficult to create.

... but since I'm running D&D 3e, sometimes you gotta make up that stuff yourself:

Lurdiak posted:

So that stupid son of a bitch RPGpundit is reportedly trying to start what can only be called D&D gamergate.

Yeah I already made a parallel post in the Industry thread, but yeah, poo poo is awful. I do think that WOTC should be held accountable for willingly attaching their name to this piece-of-poo poo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lurdiak posted:

And snowballed into "DnD is being ruined by SJWs". They're going after the podcasts and pretty much every other thing that's made DnD not exclusive to disgusting horrible nerds in the past 10 years or so as proof of some conspiracy to take D&D away from real fans.

So far the twitter trends are overwhelmingly dunking on the very idea, but with the way these things tend to go, I say keep an eye out and brace yourselves.

His latest project involves chats with Desborough and Venger Satanis, and at least one episode he tags as "you have been taught D&D wrong, probably on purpose to undermine the hobby." So, great.

If you go to the DNDGate hashtag on twitter it's a handful of his bullshit and then a much longer history of people being mad about some iPhone "Do Not Disturb" glitch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah I already made a parallel post in the Industry thread, but yeah, poo poo is awful. I do think that WOTC should be held accountable for willingly attaching their name to this piece-of-poo poo.

Apparently he's been calling for a D&Dgate since at least april, but piggybacking off that Crawford tweet means it's actually gaining some ground now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Most games aren't sold at a high enough price tbh, and that's including digital versions.

I'm fine with the pricing for physical books for the most part, it's just digital only that I have issues with

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

drrockso20 posted:

I'm fine with the pricing for physical books for the most part, it's just digital only that I have issues with

The majority of costs of a physical book also apply to a digital one. The actual materials and printing is a pretty small slice of the pie.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

drrockso20 posted:

Hm, I wonder what of the "books are overpriced" and "writers are underpaid" is more true.

I can guess.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Please remember to actually pay people for their work, thanks

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like maybe there's an argument to be had that if your primary motivation is donating to charity that you're better off just donating money to that charity directly, but in terms of pure elfgame economics $30 for the entire new Delta Green line, even discounting things like the fiction anthologies, is a pretty ridiculously good deal and looking at that and thinking that it's somehow still overpriced is kinda dumb.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Xarbala posted:

Please remember to actually pay people for their work, thanks

:same:

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Hey folks, I'm looking to get some art done for the characters in my D&D group as a surprise. I was wondering if folks here had any good recommendations for folks taking (paid) commissions?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Like maybe there's an argument to be had that if your primary motivation is donating to charity that you're better off just donating money to that charity directly, but in terms of pure elfgame economics $30 for the entire new Delta Green line, even discounting things like the fiction anthologies, is a pretty ridiculously good deal and looking at that and thinking that it's somehow still overpriced is kinda dumb.

I only think they're too much when you compare them to things like the previously absurdly good value humblebundles. Gimme that two year old prestige RPG for peanuts you fat cats!! :argh:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On RPG pricing chat, here's a quick breakdown of costs as they apply to various incarnations of the product:

These costs apply to every edition of the product, regardless of format:
  • Writing
  • Editing
  • Art
  • Graphic Design

These are the extra costs which apply to the print edition:
  • Printing
  • Shipping -- and shipping is normally paid for by the buyer anyway

Digital RPG products are grossly underpriced.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The sad thing is that this is just the exact same poo poo (actively harassing people who aren't straight white cis men out of the industry to keep RPGs "pure," because Pundit is an actual fascist) that Zak/Pundit/Trollamn and friends have been pulling for half a decade, just with a new twitter hashtag.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 20, 2018

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Lurdiak posted:

Apparently he's been calling for a D&Dgate since at least april, but piggybacking off that Crawford tweet means it's actually gaining some ground now.

Is it though? All the twitter responses I can see seem to be uniformly mocking.

The thing is that Pundito has been actively alienating all his natural buddies for the last X years and driving people away from his forum through unhinged ranting - and without the chan/discord backup gang he's not having any luck setting up a movement. I think part of his problem is that his natural allies are also the kind of technophobes who aren't particularly into social media brigading.

It is super funny to read his secret forum threads where he tries to rark up his people to join his twitter crusade and they're all like '... we don't like twitter, that's for YOUNG PEOPLE'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a safe bet that anything that's the 'Gamergate of X' is either a hurricane in a teacup or a complete non-starter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gamergate spun off of the various long running harassment campaigns in the Tradgame space so this is less a spinoff and more of the original recipe boiling over. It probably won't get much traction only because a lot of the other bad actors in that have a lot invested in appearing politically left.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gamergate spun off of the various long running harassment campaigns in the Tradgame space so this is less a spinoff and more of the original recipe boiling over. It probably won't get much traction only because a lot of the other bad actors in that have a lot invested in appearing politically left.

Well that, and Pundowski has negative charisma and couldn't lead ants to a sugar pile. If this stupid hashtag gets any sort of traction it'll be in spite of him, not because of him.

Also :laffo: of course he follows Jordan Peterson. Of loving course.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, that's the necessary corollary, if no one else is going to pick up the ball and run it he'll just spike it directly into his own nuts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What is a Gamer gate?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slimnoid posted:

Also :laffo: of course he follows Jordan Peterson. Of loving course.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Plutonis posted:

What is a Gamer gate?

Being mad that creators are starting to more closely reflect the demographics of the customers.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Plutonis posted:

What is a Gamer gate?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

What is a Gamer gate?
Middle class white males are sick of being the most oppressed members of <hobby> and aren't going to take it anymore!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

I hope he's serenading a beautiful Kou-Toa lady on a balcony.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

M'lamia

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

What you fail to see behind the rock formation in back is Cyrano Sahuagin feeding this looker his lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

remusclaw posted:

What you fail to see behind the rock formation in back is Cyrano Sahuagin feeding this looker his lines.
good thing I took Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Giant Shell Cracker