Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

HardDiskD posted:

Would it be less work for you to create a sprite sheet of vilefeast and the boys and then just overlay the sprites on top of each other?

Maybe not at this stage of the LP, though.

For Episode 11 I did have something of a working sprite sheet that I kept going, but that was (and hopefully shall remain) a one-off thing. But who knows? I have crazy ideas from time to time and after a few days of mulling it over I softly mutter, "Well, I suppose I could do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Huh. I had the impression you had did special Vilefeast that for more than one episode.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

HardDiskD posted:

Huh. I had the impression you had did special Vilefeast that for more than one episode.

Yeah, he's cropped up a few times. Definitely one of those "better in hindsight" things. Every time I did it (for, like, three or four screen grabs) I say, "Haha, this is a one time thing. Surely I won't write myself into a place that necessitates me doing this again."

And then I do. Because me am smart man.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I never thought too much about the defeat screen for the Orc, never remembered seeing it as often as the Human one, but looking at it I kind of feel it works with the factions. You lose as an Orc? Eh that's ok, the Horde will always come back stronger than ever so the Alliance fellows repelling you are taking this as a moment of peace and will happily cheer as they shoot down that one zeppelin. The Human defeat? You done hosed up and you are witnessing the destruction of your castle and that grunt don't give a gently caress if he won't live past this moment.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Episode 13: The Eye of Dalaran or Saying Goodbye

Mission Briefing

: We've arrived, my lord.

: I can see that, knight. But I do have to ask-

: -why did you navigate us directly into enemy waters?!

: Wasssss I handling that? I do sssssso lossssse track of thingssss...

: We don't have time for your blackouts, knight. Let's take care of this resistance quickly, get the Eye, and begone.

It's hard to capture the chaos of this opening. All of your forces are stuck on a little island and you're immediately hammered by battleships, destroyers, and griffon riders. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but you're nearly evenly matched and there's still the entire unknown of the rest of the map waiting. And those griffon riders don't stop for awhile. So just when you think you're safe...

: Get the men into the transports!

: Why?

: So we can make to shore already!

: So we can crush these humans!

: So-! ...Ah, I see. You're back.

: Surprise! Where me go?

: To a no doubt stupider place.

: Silly Terror Whoreface, "stupider" not a word.

: Don't even start with me. "Stupider" is a word, and I don't think this conversation could get any stupider.

: Yes it could! It could be stupidest. D'uh. You not even learn superlatives?

: If there are dark forces at play in this world, I pray that the lisping one comes back quickly. Now, we must prepare the shores for our grand arrival.

: Oh, we going to party?

: I'll repeat this since you've been... under for a few days.

: We are here in Dalaran. We WERE to sneak in quietly and steal the Eye. Then we shall return to Draenor.

: Ah, me understand.

: Good, because-

: We here to steal human eyes.

: No. Ugh, what? No.

: That exactly what you say. And me quote: "Let's pull out human eyes."

: By the dark forces, how did Necksmasher put up with you for so long?

: High functioning alcoholism.

: Oh, hello, birdman.

: Oh, bye, birdman.

: Troublesome gnats.

: Me bored. Beach safe yet?

: Patience, neophyte.

: Ugh. Ready now?

: Not yet.

: READY NOW?!

: Fine, fine! Go already!

: Yay! Smashing time!

: Look, Whoreface! Human!

: How entirely unexpected.

: Me gonna take out his eyes.

: Please do not take out their eyes.

: Look, Whoreface! Me human!

: I don't... I don't want this.

: Just where are these damned gryphons coming from?!

: Me know this one! Sometimes when you not find something, you have to look where you can't see.

: That would explain why you just threw those eyes into the woods. Though our scouts have already discovered the roost past that small grove.

: Me helped.

: Getting rid of the eyes was a great deal of assistance.

: These humans haven't realized the foolish decision of stationing high value targets so near to the front lines.

: But... these back lines?

: Well, leaving them unguarded at least.

: Oh, no! Guard!

: For the love of... Just... get the trolls to handle this. I'll see to the scouting report.

: Hah! And in a matter of moments I've already discovered a gold mine suitable for our purposes. I don't see how Necksmasher could assume this was difficult. Now how to get there...

: Good. Lightly guarded. I'll see to it that-

: CHAAAAARGE!

: Wait! I'm in charge here!

: No, me say "charge," so that make me boss. It like you not know how military work.

: You're getting attacking from behind! Did you not clear out the enemies along the shoreline before running in here?

: Hahaha, you funny.

: That's not an answer!

: I have to bring the lisping one back. I'm afraid that I'll be forced into madness at this rate.

So in a small inversion of the typical "build town hall > build farms > build lumber mill when needed," it's really advised to get a lumber mill going ASAP. You start off with 10,000 gold, but only 2,000 lumber, which means that you're bound to get stymied while working on some of the other bits of infrastructure.

: Regardless, we'd better establish a lumber camp here. Our supplies are sorely lacking.

Oh, and the other thing is that you're going to want to get guard towers up quickly, too. All you need is the lumber mill and you're good to go.

: And towers! Big shooty towers!

: Knight, we are fielding a massive army and are two of the most powerful creatures on the whole of this planet, what use are towers to us?

: Because towers have most powerful weapon in all orcish army!

: Do enlighten me. I'm ever so eager to hear where this could lead.

: Sharpened stick! Deadly!

: How did we win the First War?

: Bloody say that a lot. Also scream it a lot.

: Our base is coming along nicely. However it could use-

: MORE TOWERS!

: No! No more towers!

: More towers! More towers!

: Birdmen excited today.

: I thought we took care of their roost already.

: Obviously, I was wrong.

: No matter. Nothing can stand before me.

: Or me!

: ...To a lesser degree. Clear the land of these buildings that we may spread out our forces.

: Okie-dokie! Goblins, go!

: Goblins? Wait, no-!

Did you know that if you right-click for goblins to attack something, they will instead blow up on it? The more you know!

: You. Are not. Helping.

: Hahaha, yeah. Okay, me go get more eyes now.

: Yes, fine! Anywhere but here!

: And this is all that remains of my standing army... Ugh.

: At least our supplies are going a lot further.

: La la la... death wagon.

: Chieftain never let me drive death wagon.

: But that because me am so powerful. Such a device is beneath usssss.

: Though it hassss proven quite entertaining.

Meanwhile...

: drat! I thought that these humans only had feeble wizards at their disposal.

: And they just keep coming. It seems that the humans will put up more of a fight than I anticipated.

: One... final... elf.

Are you seeing why towers need to go up before nearly anything else?

: And no more unnecessary deaths. Good. We need everyone we can get for our next offensive.

: We have the supplies.

: Our barracks are being erected.

: Our scouts are- Humans!

Oh, did you think that we weren't playing the ultra hard expansion? Do you like not feeling constant heart palpitations while playing a game?

: My apologiessss, my lord. The humanssss ssssslipped by me.

: Oh, good, you're back. Lend me your aide, knight.

: Thissss body is ssssso well ssssssuited for fisssssticuffssssss...

: Maybe try avoiding those "s"-words a little bit.

: That's the last of them. Now then, on to the Eye-

: Incoming!

: I never thought that I would begin to tire of tearing the souls out of humans.

: That was... surprisingly light. What's going on?

: Perhapssss... we shall consssssider oursssselvessss lucky?

: There is no luck. And the gods are dead.

: Case in point.

Hey, guess who chopped right through his tree wall. And guess how the AI responds to that? Oh, goody!

: Incompetence. I am surrounded by incompetence.

: On that note, my lord, perhapsssss we can talk about Neckssssmasher?

: Peon! Take care of this breach! ...What about him?

: It sssseemssss to me that he doessss not have our interesssstsssss at heart.

: He is a tool. Nothing else. I shall use him as such.

: Sssso he issss. However...

: Where are my men?

: Oncccce more, my apologiessss. I had ssssent ssssome of their number to watch Necksssssmasher.

: You will be happy to hear that I have heard word from them.

: Word? What do you mean?

: My dark vision. An older sssspell from ssssimpler dayssss...

: Yessss... it'ssss coming now...

: -What you're planning is treason.

: It's not treason if you don't get caught.

: What is the meaning of this?

: I assssssumed you would want to know.

: Treason? That false chieftain is too stupid to plot treason.

: That issss not for me to ssssay. Now I should attend to- No! No, not now! Sssstop! Ow. Brain hurt.

: Oooh! Rock houses!

: Bye-bye, Whoreface!

: Wait, wait! What was that?

: Why dark voice so mad now? Quiet, dark voice!

: This me happy time.

: Ahhh... smash montage.

: Like old times.

: Would Necksmasher really jeopardize this mission? I must end this quickly and get to the root of this.

Later...

: This many ogres.

: It is, isn't it? And what do we do when we have a lot of ogres?

: Eat them?

: First the eyes and now this? No. We should take this battle to the mages already. We need to-

: Battle!

: Listen, you imbecile! You need to think this through! Tactics, strategy-

: Bwahahaha! Blood! Blood! Blood!

: Ugh.

: Come on! Join in! Blood! Blood! Blood!

: Uh... knight?

: Knight Vilefeast!

: What?

: Retreat, you fool!

: That silly. These humans-

: Oh.

: What did I say about strategy?!

: Nothing. You just say "strategy." Then me crush in human skull.

: I need the other one back here. Perhaps I know just the thing...

Later. on the shores of Cross Island...

: Alright, knight, stand here in this circle.

: Okie-dokie.

:

: AAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!

:

: WHY HURT?! WHY?! WHHYYYYYyyyy...

: It is done. Arise, Knight Vilefeast.

: Heh. Haha. HAHAHAHA! Full control at long lasssst.

: And I wish to tesssst my might.

: They are yours, Knight Vilefeast.

: Vilefeasssst? No...

: I am Knight Darkweaver. Born anew.

: Then let us put an end to these humans.

: Gladly, my liege.

: Why issss my cloak filled with human eyeballssss?

: It's a very short and pointless story.

: With these Lordaeron forces dealt with, we must move to secure the Eye from the mages of Dalaran.

: Indeed. Then oncccce more to the portal. We could have a world to rule over as kingsssss.

: Kings? You think too small, knight. We shall be as gods.

Concentrated Death and Decay in a bottleneck is a terrifying thing.

: Godsssss!

: Gods!

: Ahahahahaha!

: Where is the drat Eye?

: Asssssissssstance from the black dragonflight, my lord.

: Please, for my sake, avoid that word in the future.

: What word?

: Surely you're aware of your... speech impediment?

: Sssspeech impediment?

: Nevermind. Just keep your eyes open for the Eye.

: That... issss a puzzzzzling sssstatement.

: It is not here! drat these mages to the Twisting Nether!

: If it pleassssessss you, my lord. I shall take the dragonssss northward. Thissss wassss merely a military outposssst. Not truly Dalaran.

: I know that. However, I had hoped to expedite this process.

: Ah, now thissss lookssss promissssing.

: Hahahahaha!

: We shall require more troopssss, Lord Gorefiend. The humanssss have dug in deep.

: Let's see how deep.

: Hmmph.

: That doessssn't sssseem sssso bad. Now, my ogressss!

: Ah.

: Perhaps you have underestimated the humans' magic?

This is a brick wall if you're sending in ground forces. Paladins healing each other the entire time, mages polymorphing everything in sight, and ballistae shredding anything that gets close. Also the terrain makes it impossible to land anyone on the center "island."

: Nonssssensssse!

That was a lot of ogres to lose to take out one tower and a handful of paladins. On the plus side, we did drain the mages of all their magic. Which means....

: Hah! How'ssss that?

: Slow. Allow me.

: By the might of Gul'dan. We ssssorely needed thesssse magickssss in the Firsssst War.

: Despite the lisping, I have to say that I appreciate someone who knows how to pronounce "magicks."

Since it's hard to convey in screenshots, let me tell you that bloodlusted dragons absolutely melt everything and anything.

: I can feel it. I can almost taste the power flowing through the streets...

: There! That vault there must contain what we seek! Hurry now, knight!

: At oncccce, ssssire!

: Finally! Our work here on this wretched plane is finished!

: Victory.

: Indeed, my squire. Now... let us speak of this Necksmasher...

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Update went out a little earlier than usual this week. Azzur's got a drinking party to go to tonight!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Nooooooo, Vilefeast :(

He's gonna be fine, right? I mean, I feel like it would take more than an arcane ritual fueled by demonic energies to keep him down...r-right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Become as gods!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Cooked Auto posted:

Become as gods!

Die and become as-

...Wait, Death Knights are already dead. Uh...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Die and become as-

...Wait, Death Knights are already dead. Uh...

They're already past step one, we've got to stop them before it's too late!

Also I should've known we hadn't seen the last of darkweaver.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Gorefiend is Bob Page, Darkweaver is Sssimmonsss, Vilefeast is JC Denton. Necksmasher and Bloodgut will be Paul & Alex. Calling it now. (The “not kings, gods” bit had me casting a Warcraft parody of Deus Ex.)

This update brightened up a boring work break thx Azzur. Looking forward to what comes next.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, if Bloodgut catches on to what they just did to Vilefeast, he might actually be on board with the treachery.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Dragons with Bloodlust are indeed very powerful, but they can be made even moreso. They and gryphon riders are the only units to have their attack speed increased by Haste, in addition to having the fastest movement in the game under its effect. Having both of those spells on them increases their damage output to absurd levels. It's definitely something worth using in the final orc mission.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Alpha3KV posted:

Dragons with Bloodlust are indeed very powerful, but they can be made even moreso. They and gryphon riders are the only units to have their attack speed increased by Haste, in addition to having the fastest movement in the game under its effect. Having both of those spells on them increases their damage output to absurd levels. It's definitely something worth using in the final orc mission.

SPOILERS!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Azzur posted:

Update went out a little earlier than usual this week. Azzur's got a drinking party to go to tonight!

Hey, guess who loves you guys? Also you’re all great let’s keep up the good work.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
I thought we might be seeing him again. Why do I think that some raging alcoholic has been studying a little magic or has people doing it for them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Azzur posted:

Hey, guess who loves you guys? Also you’re all great let’s keep up the good work.

Azzur, you are also great, keep up the great work.

Just don't drink nigel level amounts anymore bud.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just don't drink nigel level amounts anymore bud.

That's it. Someone just started the war between me and the rest of Azeroth the world.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Because of this LP I'm watching Warcraft lore vides on youtube...

What have you done to me Azzur!?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Azzur posted:

That's it. Someone just started the war between me and the rest of Azeroth the world.

I retract my comment.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
After these last few posts, just about everything about Nigel suddenly makes so much more sense...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Azzur posted:

We love you too, Necksmasher :3:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
But seriously, for anyone who is legitimately worried, rest assured that I don't drink nearly that much. I've lived in (and currently am living in) countries with robust drinking cultures. Every so often, there's a big drinking party. Living in Japan, we only have them every few months, but when I lived in Korea, it'd be a few times a week. That's motivated me to pretty much only drink socially, or else I'd be dead.

But it does help you study the language!

(Besides, I've roomed with some serious alcoholics in my time, and I don't think I could ever get close to "actual drinking." Good lord, those guys would wake up with half a bottle of something before breakfast and zip off to work.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
For the record: I was joking about your drunk posting. I wasn't seriously worried

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

bunnyofdoom posted:

For the record: I was joking about your drunk posting. I wasn't seriously worried

Man, I was! I stuck my head into my bosses train car last night and stuck my tongue out at him. Someone has to stop me already!

It's a drat good thing that I'm a beloved treasure in my town.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 17, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Y'know I am starting to think you are more bloodgut then Nigel

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nonsense, if anything Azzur is Captain Wells. :D

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Azzur posted:

Man, I was! I stuck my head into my bosses train car last night and stuck my tongue out at him. Someone has to stop me already!

don't do this are you crazy

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

More Than a Rabbit in a Hat

Lore for... Saying Goodbye

Alright, let's do this. Let's talk about magic. There comes a point in the cycle of every fantasy intellectual property that someone has to address the giant magical elephant in the room. Where does magic come from? Ugh. Everyone grab yourself your favorite painkiller of choice (mine is bourbon!) and get ready for a magical conversation!

So where does magic in the world of Azeroth come from? Well, as everyone knows, there planet of Azeroth has a soul. I mean, d'uh, right. This is sort of the thing that everyone has been fighting over. The titans (gods of the universe, in essence) were born forth from these world-souls and have the capacity for great good or great... not good? Well, more like the total annihilation of all life and order throughout the cosmos. The titans were very interested in making sure that these world-souls were not corrupted by outside forces known as Void Lords. There's a lot to unpack there, as it's sort of the whole background of the Warcraft universe, but let's just leave it as background for now. We're talking about magic!

Anywho, the Void Lords sniffed out this powerful world-soul within Azeroth and sent forth their agents, the Old Gods, to corrupt it. In doing so, they would give the Void Lords their most powerful champion ever, who would put an end to everything. Void would reign forevermore. Of course, the titans were steadfast in making sure this didn't happen and waged a war against the Old Gods on Azeroth. Except that, um... the titans of the Pantheon were too big and powerful and awesome to interfere directly, for fear that they would bring harm to the world-soul. So, they started a proxy war, created new life, uuuhhh... fought a bunch of elementals, and really just smashed the poo poo out of everything.

Except that the Pantheon got antsy. One of the Old Gods, Y'Shaarj, sat upon Azeroth's surface like a big gross tumor and the titans were getting worried that maybe they weren't going to win their little proxy war. So they broke their own rule and intervened. The hand of Aman'Thul, leader of the titans, reached down through the heavens and ripped the creature out and flung it into space. Like, goddamn man. The titans outstripped the Old Gods in power so much that they could just pick them up and hurl them through space. (We can refer to this as the "Batman versus Superman" problem.)

It's sort of tough to be intimidating when your opponent can treat you like a scab and peel you away.

Now here's the thing: the titans were right. They totally were too strong to get involved with the conflict. It also was troublesome that Y'Shaarj was burrowed so deeply into Azeroth's surface. With the Old God ripped away, Azeroth and the world-soul was wounded. This meant magical world-soul blood seeping out into Azeroth. This massive hole filling with blood became known as the Well of Eternity. (Here's a fun game, go read up on Warcraft history and take a shot every time the Well of Eternity is mentioned!) The Well of Eternity flowed with magic. Think of it like... horrible radiation, but the fun kind. A tribe of dark trolls settled near it and over time became night elves, who could harness the power of magic.

Then they did a bunch of stupid poo poo and tried to summon the Burning Crusade directly to Azeroth. Whoops.

After that dumb fiasco, a branch of the night elves set sail for new lands while carrying a vial of the water from the Well of Eternity/blood of the planet. They founded the kingdom of Quel'thalas and created a new Well of Eternity! ...except not. This was the Sunwell, guys. It's super different. Anyway, these night elves then changed into high elves. For reasons. Totally legit reasons, I'm sure. They used magic all the time! And everything was great! It maaaaaaaybe gave them a crippling addiction to magic, but I mean... come on. I get all jittery if I can connect to the internet for a few minutes, so I know the feeling.

So the high elves are living it up, being rad party dudes shooting fire out of their sleeves and sleeping with your girlfriend. Then the trolls show up. The high elves maaaaay have vaporized a few hundred trolls on their way into town and sort of forgot about it. The trolls, for some strange reason, didn't! So they decide to wage war on the stupid jerk elves with their stupid jerk magic. You'd think that the elves would have crushed them immediately, but no, the trolls had numbers, magical demigods, and big ol' muscles from constantly having to lift things without magic.

I found an ad in the back of this magazine for "natural tusk enhancement pills."

The elves were panicking and decided they needed some big dumb meat shields to slow down the trolls. Oh, hey, humans! What are you up to? Slowly building a civilization? Cool, cool. Hey, are you free this afternoon?

The humans of Arathor agreed to help fight off the trolls so long as the elves would teach the humans magic. This is some pretty shady dealing in my book, ("Oh, wow, we're all going to die? Cool with me unless you give me some nukes.") but the elves agreed and taught the humans magic. Humans, being humans, decided they could use magic in new and exciting ways! When the trolls came, instead of firing off individual fireball spells, they pooled their magic into ONE BIG ARMAGEDDON SPELL. It also gives us this picture from the Warcraft Chronicle book, which is fantastic. (You can almost hear an elf whispering, "Now we are all sons of bitches.")

With magic in their grasp, humans were officially on the world stage. Arathor grew larger and expanded ever outward while the human magi continued their studies. They even founded the kingdom of Dalaran so they could pool their knowledge in one place. All those mages in one place practicing magic, sounds like a great idea! Though the demons of the Burning Legion were drawn to Azeroth because of the magic of the Well of Eternity. And they hadn't come upon the Sunwell since it was guarded by the Runestones of Quel'Thalas. What did the mages of Dalaran have? They had a council of demon murderers! Yeah, rather than do anything safely, the humans just accepted that demons were a thing, and murdered them while telling everyone, "Boy, howdy, this magic sure is safe!" This group was called the Council of Tirisfal.

It was a perfect system that had no flaws. Except that sometimes super strong demons came and then they needed to fight back with a super strong wizard that they gave extra magic to. In time, after some horrible setbacks to this flawless plan, the Council just decided to have a super wizard at all times. This became a title, known as the Guardian of Tirisfal, who would serve as defender of the world and demon smoosher for a century before giving his or her powers over to another. These powers would be used in defense of Azeroth and stopping the Burning Crusade. Hopefully they would never be used for the literal exact opposite.

Magic.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 10, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Warcraft lore is all sorts of stupid but mostly it's the :allears: kind of stupid.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So what’s the deal with magick then? Is it the same as Magic or not? Or is that just a joke?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Azzur posted:

Boy, I can't wait to unpack this with Human Science Theater 3000!

I'M SO HYPE

Azzur posted:

You are the best Gaijin~

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

achtungnight posted:

So what’s the deal with magick then? Is it the same as Magic or not? Or is that just a joke?

It was magick in the War1 and War2 manuals (well, magik) and since Azzur's going off them for the "smart" people they use it. Like how he's also still referring to blue humans as Azeroth despite the nation mutating into Stormwind during WoW.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Stormwind Keep was the Azeroth King’s Castle and New Stormwind their later capital, IIRC. I’m not sure I want to risk a post about seriously convoluted Lore by inquiring further into how the name change came about.

But hey, whatever helps us reach a new page!

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 20, 2018

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Stormwind Keep was the Azeroth King’s Castle and New Stormwind their later capital, IIRC. I’m not sure I want to risk a post about seriously convoluted Lore by inquiring further into how the name change came about.

But hey, whatever helps us reach a new page!

It was simply retconned to have always been Stormwind despite, well...

It was officially changed in the Tides of Darkness novel but in WoW proper prior it was actually murky since everyone always refereed to the nations by their Capital City. So it slowly "grew" into Stormwind because everyone always said, in example, "Stormwind must know!" in the same vein as "Ironforge must know!" and "Thunder Bluff must know!".

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 26, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
We've got a human update hitting this weekend as finally Captain Wells and crew get some spotlight! After that we've got that orc finale! ...which is hopefully going to turn out alright. The recording got all sorts of messed up and I've had to Frankenstein some images together. I'm currently putting it together and I'm hoping that things look alright.

I could just play through the level again. But also I value my sanity. Do you know how hard the last level of the orc campaign is?! I was thrilled to get through it the first time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The final BtDP Orc Level is hard, yes, but three things keep it from being too unbelievably hard. I’ll let fellow fans who don’t already know wonder about those things for now. :D

Hope the Orc finale ain’t the last we see of Nigel and co. I have some story speculation about certain Human Missions where they might still play a role. Nope, not spoiling that either. Wait and see you must! :laugh:

McTimmy- Thanks, that’s less convoluted than I thought. Probably a lot to do with separating Azeroth the planet from Azeroth the nation also.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 20, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I absolutely love these lore updates.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Azzur posted:

I found an ad in the back of this magazine for "natural tusk enhancement pills."

This is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meanwhile, over in WoW land we learned today that Blizzard has decided gently caress trying to tell a coherent narrative, here's the Alliance and Horde straight up seeing wildly different versions of the same general events precisely calibrated to make whichever side you're playing as look like the good guys and the other faction look like the bad guys with nary a care given to reconcile things like the Horde dropping carpet-bombing with chemical weapons and rounding up civilians and executing them en masse in the Alliance version and the Horde taking great pains to not harm civilians and only attack those who attacked them first in the Horde version, and these are supposed to depict the same battle.

Christ, I give up trying to care about Warcraft's story.