Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Nasri and Song are both free agents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Re: wingers- I heard Arsenal were talking to one of the players trying to escape Porto

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

brocked posted:

Re: wingers- I heard Arsenal were talking to one of the players trying to escape Porto

You mean sporting.its gelson martins.the kids got insane potential, but is still very inconsistent and is prone to miss wide open goals.but when hes on hes a borderline world beater.marcelo got completely wrecked when sporting played madrid. That whole mess with players leaving sporting is going to be a judicial clusterfuck, but if arsenal wants to bite that bullet, they can certainly do worse.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

brocked posted:

Gelson Martins

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ChainsawCharlie posted:

You mean sporting.its gelson martins.the kids got insane potential, but is still very inconsistent and is prone to miss wide open goals.

Sounds like the perfect Arsenal player.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Yeah, that's the name... Forgot it was Sporting with the killer Ultras

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Jon Flanagan is close to signing for Rangers apparently, lol

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Her Dryer posted:

Jon Flanagan is close to signing for Rangers apparently, lol

Jay Spearing is next

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Pastore to Roma and Nainggolan to Inter both seem to be happening

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ChainsawCharlie posted:

You mean sporting.its gelson martins.the kids got insane potential, but is still very inconsistent and is prone to miss wide open goals.but when hes on hes a borderline world beater.marcelo got completely wrecked when sporting played madrid. That whole mess with players leaving sporting is going to be a judicial clusterfuck, but if arsenal wants to bite that bullet, they can certainly do worse.

Gervinho’s regen?

Regarding Wilshere I see why he asked about his playing opportunities but yeah it’s up to him to earn his place on the pitch, Emery owes him nothing. Hopefully this is a catalyst to wake up some of the others who have been coasting.

The amount of social media retards screaming ‘YOU LET JACK GO BUT KEEP ELNENY?!?! #EMERYOUT’ is something to behold.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Next season's slogan will be 'Emery must exit' instead of 'Wenger must walk'

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Jesus. Elneny actually owns.

Also, BRANDT PLZ

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Theres always a huge gamble signing players before the WC, they could pick up horror injuries then you have spaffed a shitload of money on nothing.

The flip side is that if they then have a stormer of a WC then the price tag goes up.

name three players who have suffered horror injuries at the world cup

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Breath Ray posted:

Cisse had his leg shattered in the final friendly before the 2006 world cup, which was the same day his move to Marseille was announced

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I said at the world cup

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

He was at the world cup, the competitive games just hadn't started yet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Breath Ray posted:

Neymar

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Jose posted:

Neymar

that's one player

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

https://twitter.com/WestHamUtd/status/1009118620247445504?s=19

Diop to West Ham is a DONE DEAL with Fabianski close as well

Fabianski is now also DONE

https://twitter.com/WestHamUtd/status/1009360204184670208?s=19

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Breath Ray posted:

Michael Owen.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Breath Ray posted:

Besides neymar, emerson in 2002,reus in 2014. Granted its not like they broke their backs, but having a run of games at the end of a long season,usually in hot weather is not good for a players body. On the other hand, canizares missed the wc2002 because he severed his tendon on a after shave bottle, so my point is wrap them all in bubble wrap

Edit: yeah and owen.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 20, 2018

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Wengy posted:

Jesus. Elneny actually owns.

Also, BRANDT PLZ

counter point: he doesn't and isn't good enough for a club with the ambitions Arsenal supposedly have

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kcer posted:

counter point: he doesn't and isn't good enough for a club with the ambitions Arsenal supposedly have

At this stage of the rebuild he's good enough to play league cup games, Europa dead rubbers, and sit on the bench in the league when players are injured. Can't replace everyone in one window.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Elneny is a completely different player than Wilshere and he does what he does very well.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Elneny is a perfect squad player, he's like the exact kind of player Arsenal fans always say they want and then complain once they have.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Brian McBride got his face split open by De Rossi at a World Cup, does that count

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elbeny’s late-season form plus Arsenal’s dearth of non-awful midfielders has made him some kind of cult hero among supporters. But he’s just alright.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Elbeny’s late-season form plus Arsenal’s dearth of non-awful midfielders has made him some kind of cult hero among supporters. But he’s just alright.

Every team has players who are "just alright" because there's more than 11 players at a football club and they can't all be world beaters. He fills a role.

And of course he did this, so he should win the Ballon d'Or:

https://twitter.com/ElNennY/status/947111775866114049

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Fabianski is good, gives us two good keepers and hopefully one of them will actually be a first choice now. Any idea if Diop is any good?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Every team has players who are "just alright" because there's more than 11 players at a football club and they can't all be world beaters. He fills a role.

And of course he did this, so he should win the Ballon d'Or:

https://twitter.com/ElNennY/status/947111775866114049

lmao this is good

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Fabianski is good, gives us two good keepers and hopefully one of them will actually be a first choice now. Any idea if Diop is any good?

Diop captained the France U19s to the Euros, was in the team of the tournament and has been a mainstay in the Toulouse team for three years despite being 21 (also filling in a captain in occasion). Haven't seen a huge amount of his games but West Ham signing him is being touted as a bit of a coup

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Fabianski is your best keeper by a country mile.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Diop captained the France U19s to the Euros, was in the team of the tournament and has been a mainstay in the Toulouse team for three years despite being 21 (also filling in a captain in occasion). Haven't seen a huge amount of his games but West Ham signing him is being touted as a bit of a coup

noice

sassassin posted:

Fabianski is your best keeper by a country mile.

i certainly hope so

apparently we're still in for Mawson but idk if we need 2 new CBs

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
you don't win competitions with elnenys

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kcer posted:

you don't win competitions with elnenys

In fact, he's literally the exact kind of player you need around to win competitions. No one is suggesting that he's a first XI player. But the season is long and we play lots of games. You absolutely, unquestionably need players like Elneny in reserve.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

In fact, he's literally the exact kind of player you need around to win competitions.

I mean that's demonstrably false, but if you like the kid then whatever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kcer posted:

I mean that's demonstrably false, but if you like the kid then whatever

Lol good job cutting out the rest of my post you literal child

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you have better players instead of him to win a competition. the fact he needs keeping just beacuse wenger let the squad deteriorate to the state its in is another matter

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Lol good job cutting out the rest of my post you literal child

uhh ok? I cut out the rest of your post because I wasn't addressing it. It was just you talking more about why you think you need players like loving elneny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jose posted:

you have better players instead of him to win a competition. the fact he needs keeping just beacuse wenger let the squad deteriorate to the state its in is another matter

You need players like Elneny because they come on late in 1-0 games and work hard to close out the win without making mistakes. He's great because he fits that niche perfectly and doesn't expect to start every game. You say we need better players but you ignore that we live in the real world, where better players just leave if they don't get enough playing time. It's called building a squad and it's a pretty elementary concept that even I can understand.

• Locked thread