Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Barudak posted:

Its a shame the by far best and most inventive level in the game is the first one, in so far as it tricks you.

It loving sucks when they do that. I get why, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Game Pass currently has Kotor 1, Force Unleashed 1 and 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and all of the Fable Games. Those are probably the best games on there besides Halo 5 and State of Decay 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Daric posted:

Game Pass currently has Kotor 1, Force Unleashed 1 and 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and all of the Fable Games. Those are probably the best games on there besides Halo 5 and State of Decay 2.

Metal Slug is also on there, and one of the MGSVs was on there still wasnt it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gears 4 was really boring

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Daric posted:

Fable games are no bueno

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Instead of spending $120 a year on GamePass, spend $120 a year on cheap catalog games and actually get to keep them. Day-and-date first party titles are the only persuasive argument for that thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mad Max is a fun open worlder, Home Front the Revolution is not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Instead of spending $120 a year on GamePass, spend $120 a year on cheap catalog games and actually get to keep them. Day-and-date first party titles are the only persuasive argument for that thing.

A few third party stuff is coming day and date as well, vermintide 2 is the frontliner of thay initiative

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Or buy a time card off amazon for half the price.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I've gotten a year for $60 and I can buy any games I really want when it's on sale.

So I can play Forza 4 at release then when around the first dlc is released, buy the ultimate edition on sale for like half off.

And I can play Crackdown 3 without buying it.

Thats worth $60 alone. Anything else is a bonus.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Man, I gave Homefront a very honest “let’s do this for funsiesand not think too much about it or be critical at all” try and good god is it bad. It’s so boring and grindy even at its best times. Just loving boring.

I’m most excited for the new Metro game. The last ones I played on the pc, I tried them on the Xbox but it felt like there was some mouse acceleration remnant really messing up the aim, or no aim assist at all, or something that made it impossible to shoot stuff. They are what Homefront wanted to be.

rear end creed origins was great and I’ll play the new Greek one but it looks like it should just be a DLC because it’s literally all of the same art assets just rubbed up with olive oil.

If you’re getting that $100 Xbox definitely do the game pass for a month or two. As long as you’re actively playing one of the good titles (Rise of the tomb raider is phenomenal, the division is on there, gears or halo are p good for fun shooting too) you’re getting a ton of value. Cancel it as soon as you’re done.

The one X is really where Rise or the Tomb Raider and Gears and Halo 5 shine though. Halo 5 on an X still kinda blows me away when my kid plays it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blind Rasputin posted:

Halo 5 ... still kinda blows

Indeed it does.

Daric posted:

I might actually try out the Gamepass for the Star Wars stuff, and a few of the other titles.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gears 4 is a fine game if you have never played any other gears game before. unfortunately its the exact same clunky mechanics and 'leaning into the big dumb shooter' thing they've been doing for 5 games now and it hasnt done anything to resolve the shotgun meta of multiplayer from what i have seen.

i used the $1 for 1 month of gamepass offer and I actually refunded it I was that unimpressed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Laserface posted:

Gears 4 is a fine game if you have never played any other gears game before. unfortunately its the exact same clunky mechanics and 'leaning into the big dumb shooter' thing they've been doing for 5 games now and it hasnt done anything to resolve the shotgun meta of multiplayer from what i have seen.

i used the $1 for 1 month of gamepass offer and I actually refunded it I was that unimpressed.

Gears 4 is good if you don't know what a good game is

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Totally forgot Elder Scrolls Online and the Division are both on there too. The Division is awesome now and definitely worth playing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elder scrolls is fun now also. Nothing amazing but a fun mmo.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Laserface posted:

I just beat Gears 1 for the first time (and the remastered version came with free downloads for 2, 3, and Judgment), played a little bit of 2, then bought 4 because I found it cheap, played a little... and I realized it was exactly the same. I mean, I knew it was, but it seems like there is absolute zero evolution of the gameplay at all. Like, they're all exactly the same, right?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daric posted:

Totally forgot Elder Scrolls Online and the Division are both on there too. The Division is awesome now and definitely worth playing.

I played the Division last night and the very first dungeon (idk what the game calls them but they're dungeons ok.) I matchmade into had three other guys who actually talked on mic to call out where enemies were, and say what abilities they were using, say they needed help/were coming to help, and were generally nice. I did everything there was to do in this game on the PS4 at launch, and some of the post-launch content like the fire truck raid, and that never happened. Not one time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I just beat Gears 1 for the first time (and the remastered version came with free downloads for 2, 3, and Judgment), played a little bit of 2, then bought 4 because I found it cheap, played a little... and I realized it was exactly the same. I mean, I knew it was, but it seems like there is absolute zero evolution of the gameplay at all. Like, they're all exactly the same, right?

Yah. They dont care about the campaign because they know people will either coop it and ignore the blandness farting around with another player or never play it cause they are one of the sad old men. that still try hard at the stale pvp

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sounds like a bunch of baddies at Gears MP.

The 3 Epic games are actually good anything after is not.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Apparently they've started rolling out that new "Fast Start" thing for a few of the smaller Game Pass games for users in the beta program.

Also Avatars, which is something I haven't touched in half a decade is getting revamped - https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/18/new-avatar-editor-debuts-to-xbox-insiders/

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Gears of War: Judgment was released after the third game and made a lot of changes to how the game played. The community absolutely hated it and the game bombed as a result. Gears of War 4 was a back-to-basics style game designed to give people what they want, and also let the new studio prove that they can make a traditional Gears game while keeping the new additions minor and in the spirit of the franchise, rather than the mess that was Judgment. It's seen just as much evolution as any other shooting game franchise over the years though, and even pioneered some pretty major things for the genre as a whole (e.g. horde mode).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Judgment was just COD rules jammed into Gears which doesn't work. Gears played much closer to CS until 3 and now 4. The introduction of TDM and respawn modes and the moving away from the 1 life modes warps the game.

Gears 4 single player is bad because of the severe lack of enemy variety, mood, and fun set pieces.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
ESO is good but you can grab the morrowind version for like 5 dollars if you shop right or wait for a sale. They give that game away constantly because the real money is in the DLC subscription thing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
ESO is about the most boring and easy game I have ever played. Which is a shame because it looks good and plays mechanically well.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Which expansion is the best/most interesting to start with?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morrowind or the new one are both cool and fun

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
TESO is definitely a serviceable MMO and not total rear end like I was expecting it to be (didn’t it suck a ton at launch?) but yeah every time I play it I kinda keep thinking I could be playing WoW or FFXIV instead. At least it’s better than Guild Wars 2

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ugh I'm living in an airbnb for a month and a half and have to play the Most Powerful Console Ever on a 1080i 32 inch tv. How did anyone ever use anything less than 65" 4k?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ugh I'm living in an airbnb for a month and a half and have to play the Most Powerful Console Ever on a 1080i 32 inch tv. How did anyone ever use anything less than 65" 4k?

Welcome to the majority of TV's out there. :getin:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhh so I guess my vanilla xbone psu died? any tips for replacing the drat thing?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bango skank posted:

uhh so I guess my vanilla xbone psu died? any tips for replacing the drat thing?

Check craigs list people steal xboxs and forget the cord at the scene of the crime so now the victim is left with a power brick they might sell.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Amazon has them anywhere from $20-$40.

I’d take my chances there versus Craigslist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, you're less likely to be the victim of misguided rage with Amazon. "Why do you need a power cord? BECAUSE YOU STOLE MY XBOX?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Loling at the idea of someone stealing an Xbox and then buying the victims power cord from them off of craigslist.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m not sure I’d want to take my chances with either of those options, given the fire risk from bad power supplies.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i made some calls and I'm heading out to get an official microsoft brick from a local store, hopefully it dies in the next 30 days if it ends up being a lemon.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

TheScott2K posted:

Sea of Thieves is an "emergent gameplay" skeleton with nothing else.

Sea of Thieves is fun as gently caress, but I sure as hell wouldn't play it on Xbox since crossplay is a thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sea of Thieves is fun as gently caress, but I sure as hell wouldn't play it on Xbox since crossplay is a thing.

What would your peer group think of you then? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What would your peer group think of you then? :ohdear:

I imagine the problem will solve itself, as Sea of Thieves isn't a game that person is going to be playing for more than a few weeks.