Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Tenzarin posted:

Yea it's kinda poo poo you need such high int and charisma to build settlements when they make up such a huge amount of the gameplay.

Does it tho? I did 2 entire run of the game without bothering with settlements at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

player.forceav strength 50

Punch everything into the stratosphere

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dalael posted:

Does it tho? I did 2 entire run of the game without bothering with settlements at all.

You had to build some to make the teleporter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

personally I love having a base of operations, which is why I also think it should be possible to build weapon/armor workbenches and stuff right away

even if I don't do a lot of building, it's nice to just have all of that stuff in one place instead of having to fast travel between multiple places just to do some weapon modding, crafting and so on.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I’m sure this has been brought up earlier,but after all this good New Vegas discussion, I wanted to ruin everything by asking about FO4. To prepare my palette for Bethesda’s brand of East Coast “Spirit of ‘76” writing, I’m going to give FO4 a shot at love, with all of the DLC included. The first steps of the game are just so trite, I may hike the whole way to Far Harbor and see what that was like. Gotta conceptualize a build, though; I guess it will be less loot focused and more damage and charisma?

I can't speak to modding options but I would get far enough along to unlock Nick Valentine and take him with you. Far Harbor actually has a good plot and he is involved in it.

If you're playing survival I would also go far enough to get vertibird grenades for the convenience too, though that takes a bit more work (do the boring BoS intro mission, do the main plot up through killing Kellogg, then do the cool BoS fort mission).

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Every single time I start a FO4 game I just make the Red Rocket outside Sanctuary my base of operations. It already has everything set up there except for the robot workbench.

Also if you don't want to just cheat your toon up to 10 in every SPECIAL stat go find one of the many character builders online. I recommend setting int to at least the level required for the Science! perk (this also gets you hacking) and then setting per to one below the requirement for lockpicking, since that bobblehead is available at the desk behind Preston when you rescue them Minutemen.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you can put your robot workbench right where the pumps used to be at red rocket, looks fuckin' baller.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Fallout 3 + NV shooting is always going to be janky, but I find the best way of working around it while still playing a shooty character is to use shotguns, use automatics, use guns with visible cocking animations (bolts, levers, etc) and consider being a stealth character. The game has a massive problem with semi-autos and good loving luck hitting any moving target with one when the fire rate doesn't work consistently and the NPCs move like inertia-less ice skaters and will gladly hip-fire you dead with their 9mm pistols from 100 yards away.

It's especially obvious how bad the shooting is when you're going backwards from FO4, which is a huge leap forward in shooting mechanics despite being entirely middle of the road in grand scheme of FPS's

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

If you're playing survival I would also go far enough to get vertibird grenades for the convenience too, though that takes a bit more work (do the boring BoS intro mission, do the main plot up through killing Kellogg, then do the cool BoS fort mission).
V... Vertibird grenades?

I just realized I've never gone past the opening quest for the BOS. I usually just board their airship and loot everything from those fascist jerks

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah, you throw them and then a vertibird picks you up and flies you to a destination you've been. you get to use the minigun during it and everything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Survival mode is trivial as BoS.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The Railroad and Minutemen can make them/operate the vertibirds too if you go with either of them instead of the BoS (not sure if Institute allied with Minutemen also let's you still use them, but it's hilarious the teleporter will only let you leave through the CIT ruins)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For anyone else wondering, installed Creation Club items work for all users of the console, not just the user that bought them (/got them for free). I was worried about this since content owned by other users isn't displayed anywhere (except already in game).

On PS4 anyway.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If you played Fallout 4 and didn't build at least 4 wire racks to house your magazine collection, you might as well not have played at all.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Anyone know how to fix the music/radio crackling and skipping in FO:3/NV? I tried changing the music refresh interval thing in the .ini, but that didn't work.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It's been ages since I played fo3 and I'm playing through currently, however I get random lock up / crashes periodically. No rhyme nor reason as to what's causing it mod wise (I can't replicate them) and I'm just unsure if it's a windows 10 thing order.

I've gone the fo3edit of cleaning all mods and making a merge plugin to remove nearly every conflicts manually. does anyone have any suggestions for any other stability things / possibly even windows 10 things?

or is this all a case of it being fallout 3 with 70 things in the load order

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm way too fuckin' proud of this bullshit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
:cawg:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Your Computer posted:

V... Vertibird grenades?

I just realized I've never gone past the opening quest for the BOS. I usually just board their airship and loot everything from those fascist jerks

This reminds me: Is it normal for Deacon to sometimes spawn in areas wearing nothing but his underwear or is this a glitch? Because it's happened to me more than once.

"Alright Deacon, time to clear out these feral-Oh, oh you've take your pants off. Okay...and your shirt...you sure that's how you want to dress in the middle of a radioactive swamp? Alight, you do you man."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Autism Sneaks posted:

The Railroad and Minutemen can make them/operate the vertibirds too if you go with either of them instead of the BoS (not sure if Institute allied with Minutemen also let's you still use them, but it's hilarious the teleporter will only let you leave through the CIT ruins)

Bethesda: Your Choices Matter™

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Your choices do matter - without you there to hold their hand and wipe their rear end they'd have never discovered flight.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Bethesda: Whose rear end Do You Want to Wipe Today?™

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Tenzarin posted:

You had to build some to make the teleporter.

Okay let me rephrase, other than building the teleporter and the one early mission where Sturges asks you to do something, I didn't bother with settlements.

Your Computer posted:

personally I love having a base of operations, which is why I also think it should be possible to build weapon/armor workbenches and stuff right away

even if I don't do a lot of building, it's nice to just have all of that stuff in one place instead of having to fast travel between multiple places just to do some weapon modding, crafting and so on.

I'm doing the game a 3rd time, legendary mode with achievements enabled (thus no mods or fixes, already 2 broken quests and i'm not even lvl 30) and I find that even then, settlements are barely needed. But this time I decided to build up a few of them just for the hell of it. I've been inspired by some settlements on youtube (this crazy mofo for example) and feel like trying it out. Not this detailed tho, i have a semblance of a life and again, no mods.

I'm thinking Hangman's alley, Starlight Drive in and Sanctuary since they're the ones i tend to go to/through.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

yeah it really should have been like this. I know they wanted to give charisma a perk that lets you build more poo poo, but they could have thought of something actually unique and good and not just... baseline functionality

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Dalael posted:

Okay let me rephrase, other than building the teleporter and the one early mission where Sturges asks you to do something, I didn't bother with settlements.

I'm doing the game a 3rd time, legendary mode with achievements enabled (thus no mods or fixes, already 2 broken quests and i'm not even lvl 30) and I find that even then, settlements are barely needed. But this time I decided to build up a few of them just for the hell of it. I've been inspired by some settlements on youtube (this crazy mofo for example) and feel like trying it out. Not this detailed tho, i have a semblance of a life and again, no mods.

I'm thinking Hangman's alley, Starlight Drive in and Sanctuary since they're the ones i tend to go to/through.

Starlight is where I built a bunker, but my hopes of using the screen as a fortress wall were dashed by it leaning slightly. You can get creative and place at least 3 wind generators on the top though, which looks pretty sweet, imo. Running the wiring on that was... Not ideal.

The only drawback to Starlight is that the main workbench is in a shed in the middle of nowhere, but that doesn't really matter once you've made workbenches since the junk all goes to the same place. I believe you can even set a purifier in the puddle, once you clear all the toxic waste barrels.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

Starlight is where I built a bunker, but my hopes of using the screen as a fortress wall were dashed by it leaning slightly. You can get creative and place at least 3 wind generators on the top though, which looks pretty sweet, imo. Running the wiring on that was... Not ideal.

The only drawback to Starlight is that the main workbench is in a shed in the middle of nowhere, but that doesn't really matter once you've made workbenches since the junk all goes to the same place. I believe you can even set a purifier in the puddle, once you clear all the toxic waste barrels.

Yeah the puddle and screen are two main reasons why I chose the Starlight, (other than its on the way to sanctuary when you can't fast travel). As you said, I found out early that the screen leans and can't be used as a proper wall, but I worked around. Trying to make a bar, kinda reminiscent of Moriarty's in Megaton.

Honestly, I kinda regret not having dealt with settlements before, it turns out to be more fun than I thought. I should have done this in my main game and modded it with settlement mods, but now I feel like its just not worth it anymore since i don't play those save files anymore. So unmodded settlements it will have to be.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Making settlements is fun in a Legos sort of way. Doing it modded and with unlimited resources would be fun too, but it gives it an organic feel to be slowly developing a few different areas in between missions. I ended up peppering the Commonwealth with little communities and had a quite fun time doing it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've been really digging SimSettlements with Rise of the Commonwealth.

Basically, you plop down a Sim Settlements desk and assign a named-settler as "Mayor" - it will basically "scrapall" the place, and then slowly build its own settlement according to a blueprint. The initial settlement is very sparse - mostly just some boards, some basic foundations and other junk to allow settlers to learn to re-path. Eventually when you or your settlers collect enough junk and you get their needs fulfilled, you'll hit Level-1, Level-2, and eventually Level-3 which adds a bunch of more stuff each time your settlement gets upgraded.

The layouts for each settlement are AMAZING. My Sanctuary at Level-2 brings my framerates down significantly due to the amount of features and stuff and cool areas - building on top of the ruined houses instead of just bulldozing them in very intricate designs.

I ended up using SimSettlements with Sanctuary, Abernathy, Tenpines, Graygarden, Starlight Drivein, Hangmans Alley and The Castle - and each one has their own special unique flavor. I really can't be more pleased with how everything builds organically yet still allows for some control over which buildings can be built or upgraded.

If you haven't tried it yet, I really recommend it. Why spend hours building something yourself when you can get your dumb-as-rocks settlers to do it for you? Each time you revisit you get to see the cool additions they've made.

Highly recommended. I'll grab some pictures tonight if anyone cares.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Kaal posted:

Making settlements is fun in a Legos sort of way. Doing it modded and with unlimited resources would be fun too, but it gives it an organic feel to be slowly developing a few different areas in between missions. I ended up peppering the Commonwealth with little communities and had a quite fun time doing it.

I can dig the loop of clearing junk out of a piece of real estate, using the materials to build a thing, running out of a specific material, then running off to loot a place rich in said material. I actually found that more compelling than the main story.

The shortfalls are things like a lack of prefab pieces from a site that snap-in with your junk, or not being able to clear certain rubble that is in the way. They also were not great about scripting and dead bodies can reappear in your camps. Defend Settlement X missions are really poorly implemented and could make for some decent radiant content if they cleaned them up and maybe made them a little more interesting. (Maybe a named legendary raider/ghoul/mutant in the group?)

The sad thing is, I think they were close with Fallout 4. If they got a different studio with some writing chops to take care of the story and cleaned up their scripting, it would probably be my favorite game.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Otacon posted:

Basically, you plop down a Sim Settlements desk and assign a named-settler as "Mayor" - it will basically "scrapall" the place, and then slowly build its own settlement according to a blueprint. The initial settlement is very sparse - mostly just some boards, some basic foundations and other junk to allow settlers to learn to re-path. Eventually when you or your settlers collect enough junk and you get their needs fulfilled, you'll hit Level-1, Level-2, and eventually Level-3 which adds a bunch of more stuff each time your settlement gets upgraded.

The layouts for each settlement are AMAZING. My Sanctuary at Level-2 brings my framerates down significantly due to the amount of features and stuff and cool areas - building on top of the ruined houses instead of just bulldozing them in very intricate designs.

I ended up using SimSettlements with Sanctuary, Abernathy, Tenpines, Graygarden, Starlight Drivein, Hangmans Alley and The Castle - and each one has their own special unique flavor. I really can't be more pleased with how everything builds organically yet still allows for some control over which buildings can be built or upgraded.

If you haven't tried it yet, I really recommend it. Why spend hours building something yourself when you can get your dumb-as-rocks settlers to do it for you? Each time you revisit you get to see the cool additions they've made.

Please do, I'd love to see it. I actually read a bit about the mod and was really tempted until I decided to do my run at legendary, but i might add it for my normal modded game.

For those of you who likes settlements and have a gently caress ton of time to waste like I did, take some time to watch these videos (or part of them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNljpYE8jA Part-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZcdJtV3WLk Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU6dN0sYNRM Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTczkIEhSE Part 4

I didn't watch the whole thing since they're 45min each but it really, really is impressive. The attention to detail is quite simply amazing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know, I was just thinking while playing a few fallout games "great, loving it, but you know what would be better? No NPC's"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dalael posted:

Please do, I'd love to see it. I actually read a bit about the mod and was really tempted until I decided to do my run at legendary, but i might add it for my normal modded game.

For those of you who likes settlements and have a gently caress ton of time to waste like I did, take some time to watch these videos (or part of them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNljpYE8jA Part-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZcdJtV3WLk Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU6dN0sYNRM Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTczkIEhSE Part 4

I didn't watch the whole thing since they're 45min each but it really, really is impressive. The attention to detail is quite simply amazing.

Huh. I might actually reinstall Fallout 4 to give that a try. I never was able to get settlement building as I wanted it because it felt like you'd be permanently stuck making scrap metal shacks where people shivered on dirty mattresses as the rain leaked in as the best option.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Neurolimal posted:

You know, I was just thinking while playing a few fallout games "great, loving it, but you know what would be better? No NPC's"

That's usually how my last run of a Bethesda game ends.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Garrand posted:

That's usually how my last run of a Bethesda game ends.

You could replace all the merchants in Skyrim with vending machines and simply remove all the other friendly NPCs and the game would not suffer in the slightest, imo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a few that give you quests. I kinda like the white vial quest and the first quest in the first town that sends you to the ruin for the dragon claw.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Riatsala posted:

You could replace all the merchants in Skyrim with vending machines and simply remove all the other friendly NPCs and the game would not suffer in the slightest, imo

This sounds kind of like Borderlands.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NofrikinfuN posted:

This sounds kind of like Borderlands.

Those vending machines had more character and charm.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

There's a few that give you quests. I kinda like the white vial quest and the first quest in the first town that sends you to the ruin for the dragon claw.

That's true. A few Skyrim quests are actually well presented, even if 90% of the actual quest gameplay is going to a cave to kill some draugr. I guess those could be given by talking vending machines.

I also think at least half of the Dawn Guard DLC quests feel unique and satisfying, which is about 10x the rate of good:boring that the main game has.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Otacon posted:

I started using sim settlements in my most recent play thorough to try, even though my character is a low charisma and int character.

I didn't know about the mayor stuff. I have just been plopping down the residential zones all over sanctuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Werix posted:

I started using sim settlements in my most recent play thorough to try, even though my character is a low charisma and int character.

I didn't know about the mayor stuff. I have just been plopping down the residential zones all over sanctuary.

Rise of the Commonwealth is the part of Sim Settlements that does the auto-building and mayor stuff.