Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Also, pumping is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

That's not where the pump is supposed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

That's not where the pump is supposed to go.
:doggo:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evil_bunnY posted:

You try pushing through your peener a marble so big you need stitches after the fact and come back to us.

Also, pumping is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Mandatory non-birthing parent leave is cool and good but it absolutely doesn’t need to be a dogmatic 50%

not necessarily 50%, no, but i can see no serious argument against there being a mandatory quota in principle

it being inconvenient does by no means imply that it is not practical and i cannot see how it impacts my argument in any serious way

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i would, in fact, be comfortable with positing that structural discrimination in the labour market is equally if not more inconvenient than the arrangements required to ensure that the child is fed through the mother's employment and i am confident that i have literally the entire feminist movement in the country backing me up here

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

not necessarily 50%, no, but i can see no serious argument against there being a mandatory quota in principle
Of course not. Details do matter tho.

V. Illych L. posted:

it being inconvenient does by no means imply that it is not practical and i cannot see how it impacts my argument in any serious way
Again, please talk to people who’ve nursed their kids a bunch. When my wife started working again I brought our kid to her office for nursing, that’s how much of a pain it is to pump.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This election is not all negative.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that is also a way to arrange it! again, my position is shared by pretty much every group calling itself feminist in norway, which i am confident includes at least a couple of mothers

the point is, convenience issues re breastfeeding do not constitute a reasonable argument against some form of mandatory quota, even if one accepts as granted that children must absolutely be breast-fed. pumping, in my argument, is one way people can and do solve this problem - and, as you point out, there are other ways. workplaces should of course be expected to accommodate breastfeeding insofar as it is at all possible

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nah, you're wrong, come back after you've seen someone breastfeed in an office chair, my girlfriend said it looks super gross once. Case closed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

- Vi som er opptatt av mer pappapermisjon, blir ofte møtt med at det er viktig at mor er hjemme hele veien for å fullamme til seks måneder. Realiteten er at de fleste allerede tilpasser ammerådene til egne liv. Det er legitimt, og vi må kunne innrette politikken etter det. .

- Oppleves det ikke greit i dag?

- Mange småbarnsforeldre opplever at de må forklare seg hvis de tar fram tåteflaska, og kvier seg for å si til legen eller helsestasjonen at de har sluttet med amming helt eller delvis.

Selv gikk Lysbakken ut i permisjon da hans datter var fem måneder gammel.

- Da var hun flaskebarn. Men i boka har jeg ikke skrevet noe om hvorfor. Det må være et valg folk tar uten å måtte forklare seg.

- Alt er greit
Lysbakken mener det er blitt et unisont press i helsevesenet og samfunnet om å amme mye. Han vil at kvinner skal slippe å ha dårlig samvittighet for å velge annerledes.

- Hvor mener du grensen bør gå, er det greit ikke å amme i det hele tatt selv om man kan?

- Jeg mener at alt er greit. Voksne mennesker må bestemme dette selv, som en del av familienes valgfrihet. Så håndterer man rådet fra helsemyndighetene som det det er, et godt og begrunnet råd som gjør at de fleste som kan amme gjør det.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Seriously though, if you think breastfeeding is more of a hassle than closing the wage gap/involving fathers in child-rearing is worth you just might be a pretty privileged woman or just have some pretty dumb opinions. I'm sure that poo poo is a hassle, but we should be looking at the bigger picture. Also, if we're bringing lived experiences into this let's have them from the source and not through the goony filter of the spouse? I'm not convinced a lot of these women would argue the former point even if they did complain to their husbands at the time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:getin:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

that is also a way to arrange it! again, my position is shared by pretty much every group calling itself feminist in norway, which i am confident includes at least a couple of mothers

the point is, convenience issues re breastfeeding do not constitute a reasonable argument against some form of mandatory quota, even if one accepts as granted that children must absolutely be breast-fed. pumping, in my argument, is one way people can and do solve this problem - and, as you point out, there are other ways. workplaces should of course be expected to accommodate breastfeeding insofar as it is at all possible

As long as the mandatory leave the non birthing parent gets does not cut deep into the sub 12 months age where breastfeeding have the most health impact I'm perfectly fine with a mandatory 1:1 ratio too. Because if it does cut into that ideal breastfeeding age it will just become yet another incentive to stop breastfeeding earlier, because pump time or nursing time is just such a loving hazzle that the ones that can do it just stops instead. It's just that in Sweden that 1:1 ratio could work decently, but in places where the total parental leave is shorter, like the Netherlands or Denmark, the ratio makes no sense from a child health perspective. So what you really should promote is longer parental leave, and couple it with a fixed ratio (appropriate for the total amount of time) for the non birthing parent.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lol at posters with obviously no experience of breastfeeding or babies trying to have opinions on something they have no concept of.
The variance in how the first year goes for a child is massive and the practicalities is not something that the government should try to regulate, besides the obvious of keeping track of the health and stop abuse.

With respect to the mandatory days for the dad, note that not even Sweden has 4 months mandatory months but 3. Another thing is the fact that the number of days the dad took in Sweden have historically slowly increased and it happened well in advance of the second mandatory month for the dad and not the other way around.

My point is this:
If society works towards gender equality by creating acceptance and opportunities for getting children without having to sacrifice career and money then equality will slowly happen by itself, which history have clearly shown.
The belief that specific political decisions can regulate human behaviors is a naive one at best.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jesus what's with the weird usaklighet going on you'd think arne næss never wrote a thing

regulating human behaviour seems to be the literal purpose of laws and regulations, but idk if you're denying the premise of policy as effective as such

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

The belief that specific political decisions can regulate human behaviors is a naive one at best.

Just look at this deluded-rear end bullshit lol.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
What do you think the limits for government regulation should be?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rnr posted:

What do you think the limits for government regulation should be?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for real though if your leading objection to a political argument is 'you have never been personally subject to this policy and so have no say in the matter', you probably ought to re-evaluate your impulses because lol if only the rich were allowed to discuss estates or fortune tax we'd all be right hosed

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Dude you are just the dumbest

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cardiac posted:

Lol at posters with obviously no experience of breastfeeding or babies trying to have opinions on something they have no concept of.
But sir, I am myself a giant baby.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
How about we give each parent a year of child leave, no sharing time?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

How about we give each parent a year of child leave, no sharing time?
Sign me the gently caress up. Also, being allowed leave with only one kid (so you can take the kid to do their favorite thing without having the other in tow). Also having more than 20 hours of preschool when you’re home with a 31 days old baby. Also not being limited in the amount of days the parents can take together.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Så Listhaug har ikke sagt, ikke en gang antydet, at Oslo bystyre har kastet ut eldre for å få plass til tilreisende rom-folk og alle som påpeker at det er hennes politikk som har ført til dette lyver.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Så Listhaug har ikke sagt, ikke en gang antydet, at Oslo bystyre har kastet ut eldre for å få plass til tilreisende rom-folk og alle som påpeker at det er hennes politikk som har ført til dette lyver.

Well, that's hardly surprising. You see, it turns out when you sit down and examine the issue closely and carefully weigh the neutral facts of the matter in a reasonable context, Listhaug is a worthless piece of poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Espen Teigen, who's only job is to be on social media doesn't have time to be on social media:
https://twitter.com/espenteigen/status/1009032171426807808

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Han er 25 år.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sandweed posted:

Han er 25 år.

Javel?

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Ja, men hvor mange er det i menneske-år?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ønsk mig held og lykke. Dansk modultest 3 i aften!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stella Mwangi blir ikke dømt for fyllekjøring og:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

noe du behøver å fortelle?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

noe du behøver å fortelle?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Minister for Industry, Business and Financial Affairs, Brian Mikkelsen, is quitting his job to become managing director of the Chamber of Commerce. Yes, no conflict of interest there at all.

His position is filled by one of the absolute worst people in Danish politics, Rasmus Jarlov.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Minister for Industry, Business and Financial Affairs, Brian Mikkelsen, is quitting his job to become managing director of the Chamber of Commerce. Yes, no conflict of interest there at all.
Hahahahaha that's some banana republic level poo poo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahahaha that's some banana republic level poo poo

The former Minister of Employment, Jørn Neergaard, was literally the former director of the Confederation of Danish Employers, he wasn't even elected to parliament.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Leo Ajkic, public enemy no. 1

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The noose is tightening around M's neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

The noose is tightening around M's neck.

:tif:

Only the downfall of m was within the margin of error though.