Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

$1k (can) is just too high for me for something I mainly use as an ebook reader, but drat it just makes the UI so fluid. Really hope this starts to become commonplace in the coming years and is no longer a high-end luxury across phones/tablets/PC's, I find whenever I use one going back to 60hz feels like poo poo.

I bought a 64GB 10.5" on sale for $550 out the door during a sale. Come on. Do it. You know you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you’re serious about ebook reading, a kindle oasis is the best thing you could buy. Much nicer on your eyes. I love my iPad but the epaper is just so nice.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If you’re serious about ebook reading, a kindle oasis is the best thing you could buy. Much nicer on your eyes. I love my iPad but the epaper is just so nice.

Or just a Kindle Paperwhite. I love my Oasis, but the benefits it has over the Paperwhite aren't worth the extra money (and complete lack of sales) for the Oasis, at least for most people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the Oasis is crazy expensive

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I can't get past the weird way kindle inverts colors for a second each time you turn a page it really bothers me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the Oasis is crazy expensive

It's the waterproofing apparently? I didn't think waterproofing a device with a single port would cost $130 but here we are. Paperwhite is just as good though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

African AIDS cum posted:

I can't get past the weird way kindle inverts colors for a second each time you turn a page it really bothers me

It does that to guarantee crisp text and that there won't be any ghosting on the e-ink screen; you can turn that off by turning off "Page Refresh" under reading options. It'll still happen sometimes and you might occasionally see some text ghosting but it won't be that often (assuming normal nongraphical books).

jokes posted:

It's the waterproofing apparently? I didn't think waterproofing a device with a single port would cost $130 but here we are. Paperwhite is just as good though.

Even before it was waterproof Amazon always made the top-end Kindle crazy expensive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Which cases do people like for the 10.5”? It’s great but Apple doesn’t make a smart case for it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

jokes posted:

It’s more worth it than the Voyage imo

The Oasis sort of justifies the price, but the voyage is way overpriced

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Barry posted:

I bought a 64GB 10.5" on sale for $550 out the door during a sale. Come on. Do it. You know you want to.

Yeah if it goes on sale for ~$750 cndn I prob will

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah if it goes on sale for ~$750 cndn I prob will

Good news! Refurb 64GB 10.5" Pros are on the Apple Canada Refurb store going for $739 RIGHT NOW. They only have Gold, Silver, and Rose Gold though. Space Grey gets snatched up really quick but they do get restocked from time to time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Which cases do people like for the 10.5”? It’s great but Apple doesn’t make a smart case for it.

The Moko iPad cases on Amazon are good, and inexpensive.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

wdarkk posted:

I use a combination of the Apple Smart Cover, and this for the back: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07215MYS4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus a glass screen protector, of course.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
I'm looking at the new 9.7 and the 10.5 pro and it's coming down to the RAM for me - how futureproof will 2gb be? I don't want to spend the extra 300 quid but I also don't want to not spend it if the ipad is going poo poo itself in a couple of years.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nefarias bredd posted:

I'm looking at the new 9.7 and the 10.5 pro and it's coming down to the RAM for me - how futureproof will 2gb be? I don't want to spend the extra 300 quid but I also don't want to not spend it if the ipad is going poo poo itself in a couple of years.

It’s been a while since any iPads have had any major improvements/updates, unless you just absolutely need an iPad I’d wait until fall and see if anything is announced.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Coldforge posted:

I use a combination of the Apple Smart Cover, and this for the back: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07215MYS4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus a glass screen protector, of course.

I have that same back with my Smart Keyboard. Works well and the color match is perfect.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

e.pilot posted:

It’s been a while since any iPads have had any major improvements/updates, unless you just absolutely need an iPad I’d wait until fall and see if anything is announced.

Unfortunately will need one probably before they announce anything as I'm going back to uni early September. Need something for notetaking as I don't have anything portable and I'm looking to handwrite with the pencil.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

nefarias bredd posted:

Unfortunately will need one probably before they announce anything as I'm going back to uni early September. Need something for notetaking as I don't have anything portable and I'm looking to handwrite with the pencil.

I just bought the 32gb sixth edition and I’m pretty happy with it. If in a couple years the 2gb of ram isn’t enough I’ll just sell this and upgrade to the cheaper model at that time. I’m mostly using this for ereading and web browsing on the couch. I do notice that apps have to be restarted when I’m switching around but that doesn’t seem to be a big deal for me.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

rio posted:

Other than looking really cool, is there a practical advantage for the high refresh rate screen? Like when they went to the Retina display that was an advantage for many productivity purposes as well as looking cool. Is there some specific advantage like the pencil behaving more naturally with a high refresh rate? It certainly looked really nice but when the Pros first came out I opted for the larger one despite the slower refresh rate because there were more practical advantages for me with a larger screen (the biggest one by far that I use it for music reading and having it the size of a sheet of paper surpassed any other benefits it offered).

If you’re using the pencil in apps that have good engines (procreate, clip studio) it makes a big difference in the refresh/pick up of the pencil line. It also looks better in general but I’ve only really noticed it in specific apps.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

infinite99 posted:

Good news! Refurb 64GB 10.5" Pros are on the Apple Canada Refurb store going for $739 RIGHT NOW. They only have Gold, Silver, and Rose Gold though. Space Grey gets snatched up really quick but they do get restocked from time to time.

Ah yeah, forgot about refurbs. Impressive that they even replace the case entirely. But drat I can't stand any of the colors except space gray...

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 16, 2018

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
Thanks guys - has anyone bought from the Apple refurbished store? It seems like a great deal - about £100 off the iPad Pro, plus still eligible for 0% finance etc. Just wondered if there were any downsides to the actual refurbished iPads.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

nefarias bredd posted:

Thanks guys - has anyone bought from the Apple refurbished store? It seems like a great deal - about £100 off the iPad Pro, plus still eligible for 0% finance etc. Just wondered if there were any downsides to the actual refurbished iPads.

Apple refurbished items are a secret 20% off sale and should be treated as such. buy it

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

nefarias bredd posted:

I purchased a MBP from the refurb store a couple of years ago. Never had an issue with it, and put $700 back in my pocket. Buy the refurb and take the savings and go burn it on hookers and blow.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Apple refurb items have already been serviced, so in some ways they're even better than new.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I wonder what they can actually refurb on an iPad Pro? Afaik they don't do any repairs and always replace the whole unit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Media Bloodbath posted:

I wonder what they can actually refurb on an iPad Pro? Afaik they don't do any repairs and always replace the whole unit.

Uh, Those replaced units are then sent back to Apple for refurbishing.

Probably a lot of customer returns too since Apple doesn't sell open box items.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For iOS devices, anything the user can see (display, casing, ports buttons, switches etc) and the battery are always brand new parts.

Logic Boards and Storage Chips will be reused.

It's a total bargain.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yeast posted:

For iOS devices, anything the user can see (display, casing, ports buttons, switches etc) and the battery are always brand new parts.

Logic Boards and Storage Chips will be reused.

It's a total bargain.

This, and they individually go through QC, in some ways they're better than new.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ok, the iPad Pro 10.5 is fantastic. It’s not even a fair fight with other tablets.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
There are other tablets?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

Ok, the iPad Pro 10.5 is fantastic. It’s not even a fair fight with other tablets.

It's really amazing kit. I'm still hoping for a Mini form-factor Pro with Face ID this fall though. I love that size so so much.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah this thing is just great. Knock on wood I don’t see anything being added that will make me dump this before it dies of old age.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iOS12 beta 2 :eyepop:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can you elaborate? I feel like I sorta understand but it’s not clicking.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thwomp posted:

Can you elaborate? I feel like I sorta understand but it’s not clicking.

So previously if you opened an iPhone only app (ie Instagram) on your iPad, it would open it in a mock-iPhone view but until this new beta, it would run it in an ancient iPhone resolution, like maybe the 5 screen size? Now it looks like it'll be using much higher resolution assets, which is great!

\/\/\/

Yes it is, making it even more hilarious when you used to get the low-res assets blown up to 2x with no scaling whatsoever.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 20, 2018

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

So previously if you opened an iPhone only app (ie Instagram) on your iPad, it would open it in a mock-iPhone view but until this new beta, it would run it in an ancient iPhone resolution, like maybe the 5 screen size? Now it looks like it'll be using much higher resolution assets, which is great!

Is that kooky 2X button still there in the corner that you can use to make the app fill the screen? I haven't used iPhone apps on my iPad in years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't used an iPhone-only app in ages but also why the gently caress doesn't IG have an iPad app :psyduck:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wait Instagram doesn’t have an iPad app? Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ethanol posted:

Wait Instagram doesn’t have an iPad app? Lol

Doesn't even have a fully functioning website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Doesn't even have a fully functioning website

The Instagram website offers almost the same functionality as the app, but the execution is, uh, lacking.

If the Instagram app were a pick-up truck, the website would be a wheelbarrow.