Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Woo, I had no idea this was back for another season. Is it streaming anywhere so I can catch up on the latest tournament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Luigi Thirty posted:

Woo, I had no idea this was back for another season. Is it streaming anywhere so I can catch up on the latest tournament?

Science Channel has it but most episodes are locked behind a subscription.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Discovery has an app, but it's subscription locked. Buy the season on Prime, otherwise.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's On Demand here, if you have cable or sat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sure maybe there is some exceptions, but at the end of the day Robot Wars, even the new series is very tame compared to Battlebots.

Robot Wars is more an endurance race than Battlebots because of how it's set up. Battlebots is very much single explosive bouts with hours or even days in between to diagnose and fix up damage while Robot Wars is more drawn out matches (and the bots are just as dangerous at the Battebots ones as the weight classes and some of the weapon rules are the same) and I think 20-30 minutes to fix the bot up for the next match iirc.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

tangentially related

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1009150968787849216

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
finally a drone with a flamethrower is useful

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Robot Wars is more an endurance race than Battlebots because of how it's set up. Battlebots is very much single explosive bouts with hours or even days in between to diagnose and fix up damage while Robot Wars is more drawn out matches (and the bots are just as dangerous at the Battebots ones as the weight classes and some of the weapon rules are the same) and I think 20-30 minutes to fix the bot up for the next match iirc.

I tried watching the Robot Wars revival and most of the matches ended when someone drove in the giant "You instantly lose" part of the arena which was dumb and bad. If they got rid of that so that most matches weren't supporting a push meta or resulting in an accidental win/loss then Robot Wars would be fine.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I checked out the fightcard on their main website and it seems there is a 3 bot battle that will only be on the Science Channel airing of the show, and it's got me wondering if they have been doing this every week?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I checked out the fightcard on their main website and it seems there is a 3 bot battle that will only be on the Science Channel airing of the show, and it's got me wondering if they have been doing this every week?

It's been a mix of extra fights & short segments.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When it was one minute to the top of the hour and Bite Force stopped moving, I thought it was over but lol nope

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Chomp is trash.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Overhaul is nearly as trash. Most boring match ever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When you lose to Overhaul, time to hang it up.

rear end ton of commercials causing the episode to run overtime and I missed the end. I assume Bite Force annihilated End Game? Also why was the episode called forklifting time if that bot wasn't fighting?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still don't get why Chomp has such an awkward and tall chassis

Like, why is the part where the hammer connects to the top of the body not the top of the robot? Why is it so narrow?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

I still don't get why Chomp has such an awkward and tall chassis

Like, why is the part where the hammer connects to the top of the body not the top of the robot? Why is it so narrow?

It's the way it's designed. The mechanism for firing the hammer is tall and awkward so when they armor it it's tall and awkward.

I don't know their funding situation but you would think after a couple of years of flopping around the ring like a trout they would try and give it a wide and more stable design.

The original autocad concept looks like it would work better, but they obviously had to design around the hammer mechanism once they put it together.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 24, 2018

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's the way it's designed. The mechanism for firing the hammer is tall and awkward so when they armor it it's tall and awkward.

I don't know their funding situation but you would think after a couple of years of flopping around the ring like a trout they would try and give it a wide and more stable design.

The original autocad concept looks like it would work better, but they obviously had to design around the hammer mechanism once they put it together.

Knowing the team behind it, at this point getting the current design working "right" is probably a challenge to them.

One thing that a lot of people miss is that the CG on Chomp is way lower than it looks, since most of the stuff above the wheels is full of air/nitrogen. If I recall correctly their CG is somewhere around 4-6" above the ground.

The flopping around is caused by a mix of a few things: The floor of the box & traction paint on it doesn't work well with magnets, (this was their original plan to help with stability) the hammer swings with a crazy amount of force, (see: https://www.facebook.com/ChompTheBattleBot/videos/803072849888497/ ) and to allow the 360deg travel on the hammer, they had to limit the overall width of the bot, which is the real factor that makes the bot unstable as opposed to the CG.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It looked like Chomp might've damaged Overhaul at the end of the fight when it was able to land some hits, but it was too late to matter to the judges at that point. It was knocked around pretty good up until then.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

wormil posted:

When you lose to Overhaul, time to hang it up.

rear end ton of commercials causing the episode to run overtime and I missed the end. I assume Bite Force annihilated End Game? Also why was the episode called forklifting time if that bot wasn't fighting?

Wouldn't say annihilated. Actually End Game had it won, but didn't go in for the kill when Bite Force stopped moving. But Bite Force got it fixed and started running again and flipped End Game and game over.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And yea, if your bot can't beat Overhaul and their cat ears, it might be time to fix something.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
sawblaze needs a better primary weapon for that top-tier plow

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

No that's actually their gimmick. They're a passive-weapon bot masquerading as one with an active weapon as to not be illegible.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

Its actually kind of perfect. Its basically a wedge with a weapon that makes lots of pretty sparks for the judges.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It drives great too. Good kudos to the engineering and the driver.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Its actually kind of perfect. Its basically a wedge with a weapon that makes lots of pretty sparks for the judges.

Yeah they gamed the format hard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sawblaze probably makes the best use of a flamethrower out of any other bot since the revival (I know that's not saying much)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saws and flamethrowers don't seem to do anything but at least they look cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wormil posted:

Also why was the episode called forklifting time if that bot wasn't fighting?

They had a short sketch at the top of the episode called "A Day in Faruq's Life" or something where he announced everything he did. "It's photocopying time! It's potty time! It's forklifting time!"

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grand Fromage posted:

Saws and flamethrowers don't seem to do anything but at least they look cool.

Well, I mean, if it wasn't already over, this very hot slice might've been dangerous.
https://i.imgur.com/nhlL43P.gifv

edit: also they posted some of Overhaul's 360 cam footage of it fighting Chomp. I enjoy hearing the up close sounds. While the drive motors are kind of annoying the hissing gas tanks and killsaws and hammer drops are amazing up close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28asuzKVs8

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 24, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MiddleOne posted:

No that's actually their gimmick. They're a passive-weapon bot masquerading as one with an active weapon as to not be illegible.

holy moly it's so ingenious

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sawblaze has consistently been chopping its way through the armor of other machines. It doesn't crumple armor or fling parts through the air but to say it does nothing is disingenuous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how people still pretend drones do anything.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how people still pretend drones do anything.

Has there even been a drone yet? I think their ineffectiveness is realized.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

Sawblaze probably makes the best use of a flamethrower out of any other bot since the revival (I know that's not saying much)

How quickly we forget about complete control cooking bombshell

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Has there even been a drone yet? I think their ineffectiveness is realized.

This last episode had someone bring in a flamethrower drone on Shredorator which didn't accomplish anything in itself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The problem with saws is they take time and you're only allowed to hold the bot for ten seconds. I get why that rule exists but no saw is going to get through armor and into loving up internals in a few seconds.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Didn’t overhaul get something important cut? Like sawblaze actually does some very deep cuts they just don’t look impressive

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Didn’t overhaul get something important cut? Like sawblaze actually does some very deep cuts they just don’t look impressive

It was hard to tell, there were a few deep cuts but the fight ultimately ended when it seemed like Overhaul's wedge front was stuck under the side of the battlebox.

Oh hey someone put that fight on youtube from season 3 ep 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS3kJdPWsyo

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't know about not looking impressive, some of those cuts literally glow for a good while after, and it looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Sawblaze has consistently been chopping its way through the armor of other machines. It doesn't crumple armor or fling parts through the air but to say it does nothing is disingenuous.

It looks pretty, but it doesn't really seem to be accomplishing much most of the time.

• Locked thread