Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It kind of did tank, just not by the standards of other films. Its still the biggest opening for that weekend and would be considered a solid take for most any other

If it hadnt had the mad budget inflation that I expect mostly comes from the reshoots it'd be comfortably profitable. A bigger budget than TLJ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The movies aren't even bombing. Solo had a terrible release window, what with competing with IW and DP2, but even it didn't completely tank.

It needed something like $600 million worldwide just to break even and it'll be lucky to scrape $400 million (it probably won't even do that).

Episode IX will, of course, underperform. At the very least, Avengers 4, Lion King, Frozen 2 and possibly Toy Story 4 and Jumanji 3 will all be bigger movies next year.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It needed something like $600 million worldwide just to break even and it'll be lucky to scrape $400 million (it probably won't even do that).

Episode IX will, of course, underperform. At the very least, Avengers 4, Lion King, Frozen 2 and possibly Toy Story 4 and Jumanji 3 will all be bigger movies next year.

The problem with Solo is they pretty much filmed the whole movie twice and the budget was something close to $300 million after that.

Why will Episode IX (of course) underperform?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

enigmahfc posted:

The problem with Solo is they pretty much filmed the whole movie twice and the budget was something close to $300 million after that.

Why will Episode IX (of course) underperform?

"Because I hated TLJ!!!" most likely *rolls eyes*

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Probably just the narrative that Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars and raped childhoods and Kathleen Kennedy eats babies and whatnot.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting people people hated the movie that didn't play out like the fan-fic they made in their head, and had the nerve to show women doing stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Episode VII comes out: Star Wars is bad now because it's too much like old Star Wars!
Episode VIII comes out: Star Wars is bad now because it's not like old Star Wars!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For all the "haters", TLJ made over a billion dollars and was received very positively by critics and fans. I trust CinemaScore way more than Rotten Tomatoes, since RT doesn't have any way to verify someone actually saw the film or not

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Anyone who says TLJ 'ruined' Star wars but doesn't say anything about the prequels has already lost the argument.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

"Because I hated TLJ!!!" most likely *rolls eyes*

I actually liked TLJ but I think the key issue is that a) it tied things up a bit too neatly and didn't really leave much in the way of a hook for the next one other than Rey's final confrontation with Kylo Ren; and b) what people ultimately care about are Luke, Han and Leia and they're all out, barring Hamill being coaxed back as a Force ghost; so c) the best hook available for the next one is "It's the end of the Skywalker saga!"; but d) we already know there will be more movies after that, so it won't have the same "last chance to see Star Wars possibly forever" uplift that ROTJ and ROTS got.

It'll probably open similar to Age of Ultron ($180-190m opening weekend; it's probably not touching TLJ's $220m opening) then have a TLJ level second week drop (60-70%) and never quite recover. The likely outcome will be Johnson's trilogy getting scrapped (because Disney/Lucasfilm will place the blame on the reception to TLJ) and Star Wars movie projects will get a year off to rebuild anticipation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anything I think Solo coming out 6 months after TLJ will benefit IX. We've got a year and a half to wait, which will build some hype.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Solo as well, but I think the lesson they need to take away from it is that Star Wars isn't an invincible brand any more (if it ever was). I personally think Episode IX be in the $700-800m range worldwide, maybe $550m domestically, but we'll see.

Edit: I think I'm right but I'm happy for anyone to explain why I'm wrong.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 20, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There, you see, this is foreshadowing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Were the old Dark Horse “Star Wars Tales” issues ever collected into trade paperbacks or omnibuses or whatever? I’m pruning my single issue collection and I’d love to replace my singles of that series with TPBs if possible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Dark Horse did a run of 6 collections. Not sure how easy they'll be to find these days though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A quick check of Amazon shows that the Tales volumes are still pretty cheaply available. Most seem like they can be bought used for about 5 bucks.

A pretty large number of the individual Tales comics are sprinkled throughout the more recent Marvel Epic Collections, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm paring down my collection of individual issues and trying to turn them into trade paperbacks so I can put them on a bookshelf. Going back through the collection, I was real big into Star Wars and bought anything that anyone published, regardless of quality. I've already bought omnibus collections of the stuff I really liked (Shadows of the Empire, Tales of the Jedi, Boba Fett, Rogue Squadron) and the only stuff left that I'd like to collect are the Tales comics. They were hit-or-miss, but I thought they were overall a lot of fun and when they hit (Vader vs Maul), they knocked it out of the park.

Edit-- was the recent Tag & Bink collection only released digitally?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite comics were the "Star Wars: Republic" comics, specifically those which were being published circa 1999 and 2000 and set immediately after TPM. The first one I ever read was about Ki-Adi-Mundi going to Tatooine to track down a former Jedi who left the order and disappeared, and discovers that he's become the war chief of the Tusken Raiders and is leading a fight against off-world settlers who are encroaching on Tusken land at the instigation of Jabba and his other Hutt rivals, who want to start a war so they can flood the black market with a surplus stock of illegal weapons they control. That sort of thing might be an interesting movie.

If they ever decide they're going to do "Young Movie Character Adventures" movies again, the one I'd be most into would be "Young Qui-Gon" (played by Jamie Dornan, of course).

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I loving loved Star Wars: Republic.

Also loved the first 10 issues or so of SW: Empire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect, though, it was a bit disappointing that Republic (around the time it was retitled "Republic" from just "Star Wars" at least) became less of a showcase for the various background Jedi from Phantom Menace in favour of rotating between the continuing adventures of Anakin and Obi-Wan and Ostrander's big Quinlan Vos story arc with the rare one-shot here and there.

It would be nice to see more of that. I'm honestly not terribly interested in the distant past or distant future of the Star Wars galaxy unless they were a little bit odd like TOTJ, so I was never as hot on the KOTOR or Legacy comics as everyone else (though that's not meant as a knock on them - they're still both good for what they are, they're just not what I'm immediately interested in).

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah I really wish they'd put out another comic that focused on Prequel time. I do enjoy both Vader and the regular series, but I want to see Jedi Generals, etc...even if it had its share of Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Legacy was pretty meh.

I did not like the KOTOR comic at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How was the Anakin & Obi-Wan miniseries Charles Soule did, by the way? I remember thinking "I'd better read that one" but never got round to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

How was the Anakin & Obi-Wan miniseries Charles Soule did, by the way? I remember thinking "I'd better read that one" but never got round to it.

I thought it was kind of boring, honestly. Obi and Anakin crash on a remote steampunk planet was a good idea, but not very memorable.

My favorite parts in it were the flashback scenes that showed Palpatine bonding with Anakin. I wish we had seen a few more examples of that, to actually depict why Anakin would be so willing to trust him and go with him. Really the only ones that come to mind are the beginning of ROTS with him having told Palpatine about the sand people, and the old Tartakovsky Clone Wars series where Palpatine puts Anakin in charge of the fighters over the objection of the other Jedi (including Obi-Wan).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought it was kind of boring, honestly. Obi and Anakin crash on a remote steampunk planet was a good idea, but not very memorable.

My favorite parts in it were the flashback scenes that showed Palpatine bonding with Anakin. I wish we had seen a few more examples of that, to actually depict why Anakin would be so willing to trust him and go with him. Really the only ones that come to mind are the beginning of ROTS with him having told Palpatine about the sand people, and the old Tartakovsky Clone Wars series where Palpatine puts Anakin in charge of the fighters over the objection of the other Jedi (including Obi-Wan).
Friend, did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Friend, did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

No please tell us more

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pubic works project posted:

No please tell us more

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

Chairman Capone posted:

Too bad. Anakin and Obi-Wan between TPM and AOTC would be a good ongoing series. There was an entire run of young readers novels for them back in 2002-2004.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 24, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

pubic works project posted:

I loving loved Star Wars: Republic.

Also loved the first 10 issues or so of SW: Empire.

I thought it was kind of clever how all of the Clone Wars media released between 2002 and 2005 was released in chronological order, since the Clone Wars covered a three year gap in real time. And I do mean all of it, across all mediums. That took a level of coordination that made Shadows of the Empire’s cross-media campaign look like amateur hour.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even so, I think the only big crossover non-movie character was Ventress, who appeared in books, comics and cartoons; maybe Durge to a lesser extent but he never made the jump to "canon" continuity, probably because they had Grievous to fill a similar niche by that point. I think the video games were doing their own thing a bit; I don't think Sev'rance Tann and Echuu Shen Jon made a lot of appearances or the Dark Reaper got many mentions outside the games.

I also remember the comic book miniseries Obsession, the novel Labyrinth of Evil and the second Tartakovsky animated series all being sold as the direct prologue to ROTS. I remember Star Wars seeming fairly big like that in the lead-up to ROTS, but nowhere near as huge as it had been for TPM (or would be for TFA; it'll be interesting to see if they'll be able to get any kind of hype machine going for Ep. IX). I can't think of any movie in my lifetime that's been huger in terms of all-out media blitz than TPM was. It's been 20 loving years and I still have very clear memories of all the merchandise and everything.

(I might be a bit odd in that I have more nostalgia for everything around the prequel trilogy and Episode I in particular - which I hasten to add I like more than I dislike - than the movies themselves.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 24, 2018

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Durge was going to be in the Filoni CGI series, but got replaced with one of the new bounty hunter characters the show introduced. The same with Alpha from the Republic comics, who eventually got replaced by Rex.

The old Clone Wars video game might not have had its original characters show up anywhere else but it did use Ulic Qel-Droma of all people. I also really liked the associated Rhen Var map in both of the old Battlefronts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just amused that the reason Alpha was nixed to be replaced with Rex was just so there wouldn't be "too man main characters with names starting with A"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Speaking of A names, Doctor rear end in a top hat continues to be excellent at being The Worst. She's so awful she can even make you feel sorry for a space fash like Tolvan.

"I don't understand, why are you telling me this?"
"Because [once I spill the beans on Vader conspiring to use Luke against the Emperor] they'll ask me if I told anyone else about it annnnnd..."
"..."

Brilliant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After the mention of Tales here earlier, I saw my copy of Volume 6 hanging around and flipped through it. It reminded me that Nomad is still one of my favorite Star Wars stories ever. I liked the Visas story that tied into KOTOR II, too.

The Marooned story about the Rebel and stormtrooper stranded on Endor after the battle also seemed like a story concept that would get published in the Disney era. On the other hand, it was funny to see the comic about young Maul in retrospect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

After the mention of Tales here earlier, I saw my copy of Volume 6 hanging around and flipped through it. It reminded me that Nomad is still one of my favorite Star Wars stories ever. I liked the Visas story that tied into KOTOR II, too.

"Nomad" is the Darca Nyl one, isn't it? That's long struck me as one that seems like it'd be prime material for a Star Wars Story movie these days, doesn't it? Too bad they're cancelled.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Nomad" is the Darca Nyl one, isn't it? That's long struck me as one that seems like it'd be prime material for a Star Wars Story movie these days, doesn't it? Too bad they're cancelled.

They aren't. LucasFilm refuted the unsourced rumor that spinoffs had been cancelled.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's definitely a story that could be easily adapted to screen, though I feel like if they do the sort of Obi-Wan movie people are expecting/hoping for, it would be fairly similar in tone and plot. Though I also don't think Disney would ever do it, since aside from a lightsaber and references to the Jedi (maybe also to Coruscant and the Republic) there's very little connecting it to the wider Star Wars universe. Something that I actually appreciate from it.

I had forgotten that they continued Darca Nyl's story in the Rebellion comic. That felt widely unnecessary.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Dr Aphra continues to be the very best star wars comic in existence. I really like the current art style being used and the story is good.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Jerkface posted:

Dr Aphra continues to be the very best star wars comic in existence. I really like the current art style being used and the story is good.

Counterpoint: thr new Vader comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like what I've seen of Aphra but every time I look at the character, the helmet and goggles make me think less "amoral Indiana Jones type in outer space" and more "teenage sidekick in sci-fi anime".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Every line of her dialogue, and even a lot of the art, just make me think someone thought, "Harley Quinn is really popular... why don't we just copy her into a Star Wars comic?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Agreed, the story has really picked up in the last few issues.