Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jesus was well known for his conservative ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Often times if you try to call out Christians acting un-Christian they pull the ole "judge not lest ye be judged" crap but I like to remind them

Matthew 7:15-20

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them. 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
(When they say, "Even the devil can quote scripture" remind them that's from Shakespeare not the Bible)

It's interesting that so many of Jesus' sermons were specifically directed against the Pharisees, who are portrayed in the bible as performatively pious but wicked at heart and well *gestures at like 95% of evangelicals*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If there is a heaven and I do go there, I really hope there are bleachers next to the Pearly Gates so we can all watch and cheer as St. Peter backflip-suplexes evangelicals straight to hell.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I am a constituent in Ted Cruz's district in Austin. I am frequently invited by Facebook's UX to post on his page, and let him know what I think. So far, I think Ted Cruz is a coward for disallowing image posting on his page.

These are mine, but feel free to use or draw inspiration from them. I feel sincerely that we should #DeportTedCruz.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're all in Ted Cruz district

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

We're all in Ted Cruz district

Not in my heart.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Back from the Panhandle now but this is cut-off-the-nose to spite your face mentality. Amarillo would collapse if it weren't for all the interstate traffic and road trippers stopping there.

And despite that billboard, the people there are very friendly, and my pet theory is that it's because it's a travel town -- they want your business.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did you eat at the Big Texan

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Did you eat at the Big Texan
I did not.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
To try to tie this back into Texas politics somehow, the little I've read about Amarillo politics suggest it's run top-to-bottom by a good ol' boy network that is both highly corrupt and incompetent.

So, like Texas.

--

One more anecdote. Stopped at the Cadillac Ranch on the way out, which are those caddies implanted into the ground and where tourists stop to take pictures. There were two young Brazilian guys there, one sitting on a car and spraypainting a giant Brazilian flag on it (you can freely paint on them) while his friend crouched nearby trying to figure out how to get their quadcopter drone to fly in the windy weather. I thought it was a pretty funny image though because while he was expressing national pride it was by putting the symbol on a rusted-out old car that looks like it slammed face-first into the ground.

--

One of the sponsors of Cadillac Ranch was Stanley Marsh, an Amarillo post-modern artist who also implanted mock road signs all over town that says things like "I WANT TO GET OUT" and "THEN AT LAST THE LADY BEGAN SCREAMING" and "I HAVE TRAVELED A GOOD DEAL IN AMARILLO." He died a few years ago, and in his later years, was revealed to prey on underage boys.

The signs were cool though. FYI the post-modern painting Standard Station, Amarillo, Texas by Ed Ruscha is on display at the Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art and it's cool:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2018

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Keeshhound posted:

All anyone really needs to remember about Austin is that when the bombings started, the first couple victims were minority, and the police didn't bother investigating too hard because "you never know, they might have done it to themselves."

And also that once his identity was found everyone tripped over their docks to say what a sweet quiet boy he was.

It took GBS all of 3 seconds googling his name to find out the dude was a reactionary piece of poo poo.

Also hello thread, 100 unread posts in a week :drat:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 21, 2018

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Back from the Panhandle now but this is cut-off-the-nose to spite your face mentality. Amarillo would collapse if it weren't for all the interstate traffic and road trippers stopping there.

And despite that billboard, the people there are very friendly, and my pet theory is that it's because it's a travel town -- they want your business.

You only need one overcompensating rear end in a top hat with a weird dick to buy a billboard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1009803045448900608

The Legislature took a look at this last session. Estimates are a quarter of a billion to a full billion in new revenue, so we could use it.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
An overturned tanker this morning in Dallas shut down all lanes of both 635 and 75, in both directions. North Dallas traffic is a warzone right now

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1007695609221013506

See, there are a handful of mentions about homosexuality in the Bible, mostly old testament next to rules about cutting your hair and making women on their period go camping, I think there's one in one of Pauls epistles.

Of course, you know what's in there a whole bunch? Money is evil, poverty is closeness to god, and Jesus said himself "Pay your taxes" and "stop hoarding money".

actually there is no mention of homosexuality in the source text. that's an anachronism. its not a word that was used in a bible until the 40s. the troublesome word in particular is arsenkoitai. the whole edifice of christianity's modern jihad on homosexuality rests on a dubious translation of a single word.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, it's based on them being small minded reactionaries. If there was literally no mention of homosexuality in any modern translated version, they'd still hate it. They're always on about their god given right to own guns but I don't think that's in there anywhere.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

zoux posted:

(When they say, "Even the devil can quote scripture" remind them that's from Shakespeare not the Bible)

Counter-point, the devil does quote scripture, specifically a few chapters before what you quoted when the devil temps Jesus to jump off the temple.

Matthew 4:6,7 posted:

“If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

Psalm 91:11,12 posted:

He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

Jesus answered him, “It is also written:

Deuteronomy 6:16 posted:

Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

:goonsay: aside, most of my wife's family is super Trumpy and sees Democrats and Christians as mutually exclusive and it drives me nuts. Literally walked out of church with them once after a sermon from our lefty pastor about why taking care of the environment was both good and biblical, and her dad made a comment basically saying the pastor made good points and Christians should take back the environmental issue since liberals have "hijacked it."

First time I ever heard "molon labe" said out loud was when we visited their church and it was the theme of the sermon, which was essentially an NRA speech about that except replace "they're gonna take our guns" with "they're gonna take our Christian beliefs and values" from a pastor named Rusty. And no, this was not a backwoods thing, everyone in the congregation was the kind of white person that you know at least considered naming their child Kayyden.

I should be clear that they are not hateful, bigoted, angry, uneducated, or any of the other things I usually assume about Trump supporters. Friendliest folks you could hope to know and I doubt they've ever made an enemy in their life. They're just absurdly loyal to their team and plug their ears to anything that disparages the GOP.

Friend fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 21, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Being nice and/or friendly is not mutually ezclusive with being hateful and/or bigoted. The South will teach you that.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Quandary posted:

An overturned tanker this morning in Dallas shut down all lanes of both 635 and 75, in both directions. North Dallas traffic is a warzone right now

High five!

The Tollway, Coit, Hillcrest, and Preston are probably anarchy right now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Friend posted:

Christians should take back the environmental issue since liberals have "hijacked it."

ie conservative Christians purposely allied with polluters in exchange for political power to enforce their sexual morality on everyone.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Dameius posted:

Being nice and/or friendly is not mutually ezclusive with being hateful and/or bigoted. The South will teach you that.

Cannot stress this enough.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Dameius posted:

Oh yeah I know, and it's something that I think is missing from a lot of our modern reflections on the Civil Rights era. People see Byron De La Beckwith and think "man I can't believe people were like that, I could never be like that" but they miss the fact that many people weren't; they were very polite when they said "why won't the negros just sit on their side of the restaurant" and then they had children who grew up to say "oh that was terrible back then, but also why won't the gays just get civil unions instead of getting married."

And then we end up with this poo poo:
https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/952906199531388930

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Even if they are not personally bigoted (this is rare though) , if they're a Republican, they support people at all levels of government who are, both in words and especially in actions. At best they're an accessory to racism, and they need to be held accountable to that just as much as the public bigots need to be.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1009868589648809984

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

saintonan posted:

Even if they are not personally bigoted (this is rare though) , if they're a Republican, they support people at all levels of government who are, both in words and especially in actions. At best they're an accessory to racism, and they need to be held accountable to that just as much as the public bigots need to be.
A lot of them think racism is just about people being mean to each other, and if people are just "nice" then problem solved. And asking uncomfortable or difficult questions isn't "nice."

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1009803045448900608

The Legislature took a look at this last session. Estimates are a quarter of a billion to a full billion in new revenue, so we could use it.

This is great news but I'm very curious how the legislature will choose to implement it. Hopefully they can give remote sellers a break on the local tax reporting, that poo poo is complicated.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Super local stuff. I would not normally post Facebook comments from a random GOPer here but this person ran in a State House primary (and lost) so fair game. Reax to a liberal candidate's victory to the Denton City Council:

That is some really passive-aggressive talk about a local GOP precinct chair who supported THE ENEMY. There was also a brief debate between the county Young Republicans leader and some of the old-timers, where the youngster wanted to forge GOTV unity with candidates who they can all agree with "80 percent" while the old-timers were going PURGE PURGE PURGE. Also some background:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/946606788761346048

--

Second thing, a -- *gasp* -- liberal Californian won a city council seat in Allen:

https://twitter.com/starlocalmedia/status/1009564185787805696

quote:

From the beginning, Doherty has touted herself as someone who brings a different perspective to the table. She has promoted solar panels on street-facing homes, urged the city to make Allen a smart city in ways that include a plan to provide residents and visitors with free wifi and advocated for DART light rail and bus service in Allen.

Doherty’s ideas – along with her southern California upbringing – have prompted some residents to comment “don’t California my Texas,” but the Place 3 winner said she wants to look to other cities and states that have effective practices in place that behoove their residents.

“There are some great things that have been done in California, so why not follow their lead if it works? But they’re not the only place that has done amazing things, and we should look everywhere for great ideas that we can use here in our city and our region,” she said.
Without context this might not seem unusual but Allen is (or was?) very conservative.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 22, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Cross posting this from the Trump thread because holy poo poo

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

BrightWing posted:

Cross posting this from the Trump thread because holy poo poo

Yep! She's in my district. Established a solid platform even before this, and the ad might play well with the voters. The district's a weird one, includes part of Austin but also up towards Temple and Killeen (i.e. Fort Hood).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mother wants to go see Beto in a Plano park on Sunday -- which means I am taking my mother to see Beto in a Plano park on Sunday. Trip report.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Veronica Birkenstock is a hell of a name, drat.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.statesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/texas-democrats-poised-back-legalization-marijuana/ZzUIhBEeHbZsZrh1AF3vRL/

quote:

The draft states that Texas Democrats “support Texas legislation to legalize possession and use of marijuana and to regulate its use, production and sale as is successfully done in Colorado and Washington and other states.”

The platform would also “urge release of individuals incarcerated for possession of marijuana and expungement of criminal records of persons convicted or receiving deferred adjudication for misdemeanor offenses.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1010153299801231360

Hopefully they'll have to lower the vote threshold again this session :twisted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1010161280987037696
!!!

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is just the dumbest loving thing. It was really nice not seeing bags littered everywhere because they were given by default for every single little purchase at the gas station.

Hopefully businesses will see a chance to save a few cents by not using bags unless asked to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As I said in the Austin thread, I doubt we're gonna see a mass return to bags. But it does mean that future communities won't be able to pass bans.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Can they still tax plastic bags?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Numlock posted:

While I only lived in Dallas a short while that was my impression as well. Super white and boring as hell.

Somebody told me when I moved here that Houston was “The New York City of Mexico” with the tone that this was awful and scary but it’s been awesome.

There are three things Houstonian care about, everything that isn't one of these things, we could care less.

1. Making a poo poo ton of money.
2. Restoring or tricking out cars.
3. Complaining about how stupid the Metro train is a billion dollar bus when it suppose to be an L train.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 22, 2018

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

duz posted:

Can they still tax plastic bags?

When the bag manufacturers sued Dallas, they cited a state law that prohibited taxing containers, and Dallas rolled over and didn't bother to try to fight it. Does anywhere else still tax them?

I remember it was a nightmare for the first couple of weeks they enacted the tax, but it ended up smoothing out and now I'm extra annoyed every time I see hundreds of bags lining the rivers in parks like moss.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Back Hack posted:

There are three things Houstonian care about, everything that isn't one of these things, we could care less.

1. Making a poo poo ton of money.
2. Restoring or tricking out cars.
3. Complaining about how stupid the Metro train is a billion dollar bus when it suppose to be an L train.

This is a bad list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Don't care.