Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I'm thinking of making my dudes Taranis. Hawkshroud is better overall but the mechanicus stratagems are better, FNP is amplified on models with tons of wounds, and it provides a small MW defense.

Taranis’ trait doesn’t work against mortal wounds unfortunately. I definitely agree they’re one of the better choices though. I think technically Raven is going to be better due to their reroll 1’s strategem but it’s a neat thing.

Most importantly Taranis has the best Questor Mechanicus paint scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Ah, great advice, thanks guys! I have been a bit spendy lately so I may experiment with mixing the ink with some gloss medium or maybe even the metallic medium I have lying around to see what that does. I could also play with Blood for the Blood God which seems similar to Tamiya clear red, although it might have other gunk in it that would make that a bad idea. At the end of the day, a slightly mor ematte finish isn't the end of the world, as I feel like an ultra-gloss candycoat might get a little overwhelming on a whole army.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
What’s a copy of gangs of commoragh worth?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Tamiya Clear Red over Vallejo Metal Color Steel->Aluminum

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
How many coats is that?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
2? Not a lot.

This is Tamiya Clear Blue and Clear Green over VGA Chainmail -> VMA Steel.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

The blue and greens are also the clear airbrush paints, not inks. I haven't tried anything with the ghost tints, I think the Tamiya clear paints are probably the best bet.

Ever thought of doing an Alclad underlayer for the super racecar look?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Those Tamiya paints look awesome.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

dexefiend posted:

2? Not a lot.

This is Tamiya Clear Blue and Clear Green over VGA Chainmail -> VMA Steel.

Man this makes me want to do some Sons of Horus with this scheme.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Tamiya Clear Red over Vallejo Metal Color Steel->Aluminum

Well I kinda know what to do then if I ever get around building those GK termies I have as I always wanted to them in red metallic.
Right after I also get an airbrush I guess. Which is not really happening any time soon. :v:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Ever thought of doing an Alclad underlayer for the super racecar look?

no because working with alclad loving sucks, and it really isn't that much better than the vallejo metal colors that I use.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1. Units can ignore models they were engaged with in the previous Fight phase when falling back.
2. Units that are engaged with a unit that is falling may attack as if it is the Fight phase, but only hit on unmodified rolls of six.

I’d probably codify it into a stepped process like charging, because I think it adds enough rules baggage to falling back combined with what’s already there that you want to pull it all together to make it ultra clear:

“Units that have any models within 1” of an enemy unit cannot be selected to move normally. In your movement phase, you may instead make a “fall back” move for any such units by following these steps:

1.) Declare a Fall Back Move: Select a unit that has any models within 1” of an enemy unit and declare that it will fall back.
2.) No Mercy: Any enemy units that have models within 1” of any model from the unit that has been chosen to fall back may make “No Mercy” attacks.

Your opponent picks a unit that has any models within 1” of your unit.

Any models in that unit that are within 1” of any models from your unit, or within 1” of another model from their unit that is itself within 1” of a model from your unit (as per the rules for “who can fight” on page XX) may make their full complement of melee attacks as if it were the fight phase, with the exception that these attacks only hit on an unmodified hit roll of 6.

Once these attacks are resolved, if there are any remaining enemy units with models within 1” of your unit (after removing casualties) that have not made a “No Mercy” attack, your opponent may select another of them and repeat the process above. Continue this until no more eligible units can be selected.

3.) Move survivors: if any models from your unit have survived, they may now move. Move your models as if it was the movement phase, with the exception that they may move within 1” or through models from any enemy unit that had models within 1” of your unit at the start of this step. Your models must still end their move at least 1” away from any enemy models. If this is not possible, the fall back fails and your models do not move.

Units that have fallen back in a turn cannot shoot in the turn’s shooting phase unless they have the “fly” keyword, and cannot charge in the turn’s charge phase.”

Apologies for being a complete nerd.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Seems fine. Letting dudes just move away while you politely let them doesn't feel 40k. D&D, WMH, many games an game systems usually have a down side to moving away from a broad sword. Not shooting does not feel like it has much punishment when the assaulting unit gets gunned down right away by everything else.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Since we're wish-listing if you're not going to grant them the ability to "catch" the escaping unit, you should grant the enemy unit the ability to consolidate normally after the unit falls back. It allows for repositioning at worst and at best catching the fleeing unit if they don't clear the 4" space. This would make faster units better at fleeing and units that are meant to be slow as hell (Cataphractii etc) almost incapable of doing so.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PierreTheMime posted:

Since we're wish-listing if you're not going to grant them the ability to "catch" the escaping unit, you should grant the enemy unit the ability to consolidate normally after the unit falls back. It allows for repositioning at worst and at best catching the fleeing unit if they don't clear the 4" space. This would make faster units better at fleeing and units that are meant to be slow as hell (Cataphractii etc) almost incapable of doing so.

On the other hand this would mean characters and anything else’s that can heroic intervention would be able to keep getting stuck in against anything with less than 7” of movement because they would be within the 3” at the end of the charge phase.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
These are great, really clean.
The headswap is really interesting on this one. I like the model a lot.

Great show both of you.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I would want something other than can't shoot which then has exceptions that make sense or don't.

Assault range is still 2d6 which is pure luck than say movement +d6. You can be move ten an roll crap right infront of the enemy, still suffering overwatch on top of it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

Leave No Escape as a thing for Dark Eldar. Or make them hit at normal WS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

I’d probably codify it into a stepped process like charging, because I think it adds enough rules baggage to falling back combined with what’s already there that you want to pull it all together to make it ultra clear:

“Units that have any models within 1” of an enemy unit cannot be selected to move normally. In your movement phase, you may instead make a “fall back” move for any such units by following these steps:

1.) Declare a Fall Back Move: Select a unit that has any models within 1” of an enemy unit and declare that it will fall back.
2.) No Mercy: Any enemy units that have models within 1” of any model from the unit that has been chosen to fall back may make “No Mercy” attacks.

Your opponent picks a unit that has any models within 1” of your unit.

Any models in that unit that are within 1” of any models from your unit, or within 1” of another model from their unit that is itself within 1” of a model from your unit (as per the rules for “who can fight” on page XX) may make their full complement of melee attacks as if it were the fight phase, with the exception that these attacks only hit on an unmodified hit roll of 6.

Once these attacks are resolved, if there are any remaining enemy units with models within 1” of your unit (after removing casualties) that have not made a “No Mercy” attack, your opponent may select another of them and repeat the process above. Continue this until no more eligible units can be selected.

3.) Move survivors: if any models from your unit have survived, they may now move. Move your models as if it was the movement phase, with the exception that they may move within 1” or through models from any enemy unit that had models within 1” of your unit at the start of this step. Your models must still end their move at least 1” away from any enemy models. If this is not possible, the fall back fails and your models do not move.

Units that have fallen back in a turn cannot shoot in the turn’s shooting phase unless they have the “fly” keyword, and cannot charge in the turn’s charge phase.”

Apologies for being a complete nerd.

I like it. Good name for the attacks too.

Corrode posted:

Leave No Escape as a thing for Dark Eldar. Or make them hit at normal WS.

Leave No Escape: Units with this ability make No Mercy attacks at their full WS.

Run Them Down: Units with this ability make No Mercy attacks at their full WS if they charged the previous turn.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Forgeworld: Not even once.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I dont really have any problem with the core mechanics of the fight phase, other than one thing - the mechanism of "end closer to the closest enemy unit" is vague enough that not all players fully understand it or play it correctly. When a unit does a bunch of consolidating and locking up a couple of tanks or whatever in melee, it often seems to be unintentionally cheating, and has a HUGE impact on the game.

I honestly think I would prefer something along the lines of pick a single enemy unit, pile/consolidate moves must end closer to it. As a newish nids player, I find most of my measurements can be done quickly and I can keep the pace of the turn moving pretty well..until I hit the assault phase and I am trying to figure out who is closest to who, jamming all my genestealers who dont fit on 25mm bases together trying to get as many into melee range, etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Enjoy your free miniature.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

Taranis’ trait doesn’t work against mortal wounds unfortunately. I definitely agree they’re one of the better choices though. I think technically Raven is going to be better due to their reroll 1’s strategem but it’s a neat thing.

Most importantly Taranis has the best Questor Mechanicus paint scheme.

I think Raven works out. You get the ability to advance and shoot with olno penalty, as well as a strategem to rerolls 1s, as well as access to the mechanicus strategems.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

chutche2 posted:

We never learn, I pulled the trigger on this titan killer this morning:

Send that to FW, they’ll ship you a new piece (or sometimes an entirely new mini)

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

PierreTheMime posted:

I did wonder when writing it up whether there should be something like this, but i think it has the problems that:

a.) adds more overhead and slows the game down - yes the extra attacks will do that too, but at least that has the payoff of depleting models from the board, which can pay back the lost time in the long run.

b.) there are bound to be some really loving dumb rules interactions or feel bad moments caused by an opponent getting to suddenly interrupt your movement phase with a 3 inch move. One of the reasons I love Beer’s rule suggestion so much is that it’s one of those rarest of things - a new rule that addresses the intended problem, feels thematic and consistent with the rest of the game, and is neatly sandboxed in its impact such that it causes minimum collateral damage to the rules engine as a whole.

Don’t forget that the enemy units will already have had their consolidates from the previous fight phase too!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like it. Good name for the attacks too.

Leave No Escape: Units with this ability make No Mercy attacks at their full WS.

Run Them Down: Units with this ability make No Mercy attacks at their full WS if they charged the previous turn.

Yeah, i thought I’d give it a name because then it helps open up design space in exactly this way, glad you like the one I chose!

The other really interesting option, actually, and this would clearly need way more playtesting and have a bigger impact - if we think the fly keyword is overpowered as it stands because of fall back and shoot, you could change the fly bonus to “ignores no mercy attacks”. I’m way less confident that that’s a good idea (but I am a craftworlds player so probably biased) but once the above was in the system you could at least playtest it.

I genuinely think we should send the core suggestion in some how, do we reckon the faq address is the right choice? (unless Luperlupercal wants to do a dramatic reading of the new rule suggestion to the designers in the pub).

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 20, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

We never learn, I pulled the trigger on this titan killer this morning:

Send that to FW, they’ll ship you a new piece (or sometimes an entirely new mini)

why does everyone always crop out the price of their forgeworld cart? are you embarrassed that you spend $250+ on a hunk of resin?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

I did wonder when writing it up whether there should be something like this, but i think it has the problems that:

a.) adds more overhead and slows the game down - yes the extra attacks will do that too, but at least that has the payoff of depleting models from the board, which can pay back the lost time in the long run.

b.) there are bound to be some really loving dumb rules interactions or feel bad moments caused by an opponent getting to suddenly interrupt your movement phase with a 3 inch move. One of the reasons I love Beer’s rule suggestion so much is that it’s one of those rarest of things - a new rule that addresses the intended problem, feels thematic and consistent with the rest of the game, and is neatly sandboxed in its impact such that it causes minimum collateral damage to the rules engine as a whole.

Don’t forget that the enemy units will already have had their consolidates from the previous fight phase too!

Yeah, i thought I’d give it a name because then it helps open up design space in exactly this way, glad you like the one I chose!

The other really interesting option, actually, and this would clearly need way more playtesting and have a bigger impact - if we think the fly keyword is overpowered as it stands because of fall back and shoot, you could change the fly bonus to “ignores no mercy attacks”. I’m way less confident that that’s a good idea (but I am a craftworlds player so probably biased) but once the above was in the system you could at least playtest it.

I genuinely think we should send the core suggestion in some how, do we reckon the faq address is the right choice? (unless Luperlupercal wants to do a dramatic reading of the new rule suggestion to the designers in the pub).

I think the FAQ address is the right place. I figure if people are interested they should send it in.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

why does everyone always crop out the price of their forgeworld cart? are you embarrassed that you spend $250+ on a hunk of resin?

Nope, zoom in for readability and crop to remove PII.

If I were embarrassed I wouldn’t post anything about it.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Have a bit of WIP.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Look at these kicking rad guard conversions;

Gladiator Helms from: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/brodie-gladiator-helmets

Kilts from The Kilts are from the Heresy Era MkIII/IV kits

Everything else Cadian and plasticard

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I've been playing around with Beers spreadsheet and Catachan scout sentinels and hellhounds are the most point efficient units against infantry (horde and marines) among units that people have made entries for on the sheet. They are also surprisingly not terrible as anti tank.

I'm still not sure if they are actually good. The 8" and 16" range is just too short. Better to take a less effective unit and shoot over 2 turns than the flameybois and shoot maybe 1 turn.

But still, the dream of 9 hellhounds is alive and well within me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Does anyone have spare Genestealer Cult autogun arms? I have a dumb expensive idea for a conversion and I'm going to need a lot of them, without the gnarly claw hands.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I fought a guy who ran 6 hellhounds last week. He deployed them right in front of a bunch of guardsmen squads with HQs. I popped 2 of the the tanks in the middle turn 1 and roasted his army.

Don’t, uh, deploy those things close to anything you’re attached to.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

6 Hellhounds is legit but yeah don't deploy your squishy characters near them.

haakman
May 5, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/1bnkZ1Y.jpg

My first big bit of terrain, with bonus Dark Angels. Am really enjoying this hobby and 8th has been a breath of fresh air.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

SRM posted:

Does anyone have spare Genestealer Cult autogun arms? I have a dumb expensive idea for a conversion and I'm going to need a lot of them, without the gnarly claw hands.

The GSC human looking autogun arms are such useful bits, I've got a sprue full of the clawed ones...

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
As I have basically all the T'au models I could want now, I decided to branch out to everyone's favourite murder elves. Two months later, I have a troupe, a troupe leader and a starweaver complete. They're fun to paint but my goodness is the painting time/points value ratio different than T'au battlesuits!

Here's the collection so far:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Sweet duster

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, since we are posting guard stuff I might as well throw my hat in the ring because I'm once again trying my hand at guard.

It helps that I finally have a camo scheme that I like. Ignore the train(its a commission) and sorry for the lovely pic. Still very much a wip. I plan on it being my command tank, hence all of the aerials.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galvetron
Jul 1, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Look at these kicking rad guard conversions;

Gladiator Helms from: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/brodie-gladiator-helmets

Kilts from The Kilts are from the Heresy Era MkIII/IV kits

Everything else Cadian and plasticard

These are very cool! Are you going to carry a roman legion / gladiator theme across your force?