Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Never crashed on me but I thought there were some quirks to saving, like if you come back to town and manipulate your party or whatever and exit before starting the next quest your changes weren't actually saved. Got in the habit of saving immediately after starting or returning from a quest and never in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up the Paladins Founder Pack and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I wish it crashed less, since it takes a while to load. I've crashed in the middle of an ongoing game 3-4 times now, only to have the game be over by the time it loads back in.

Also, it has made me realize how painful it is to play an FPS with any sort of skill with the joycons. I can barely hit poo poo. Fortunately for me, nobody else on my team can either. :smith:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played the Tennis demo and my first thought was "I'm gonna get dunked on constantly in this", so I understand why others are excited for it, but I think I'm gonna pass

Same.

After being completely ravaged by noobs in the demo I'm passing on this one, as Rocket League's providing me a sizeable daily dosage of salt already.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fwiw I had the experience of getting dunked on a lot in the Splatoon 2 demo but once the full game came out it was a lot more manageable since matchmaking quickly sectioned off the people who had a ton of hours/experience in the original. I imagine it will be similar with Mario Tennis.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Silver Falcon posted:

AM2R is a truly excellent game and an example of what fan remakes, and fan games in general, should strive for. It was my first exposure to Metroid 2 and remains my only exposure to it. I have not gotten around to play Samus Returns yet, though I d have it.

I thank you for making a case for original Metroid 2. Personally... I still have no desire to play it. I've seen bits and pieces of it and heard about what it's like from folks who have played it and it just doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I'm a huge sucker for atmosphere and such in a game, so it's not that. The mechanics just sound far too rough coming from the rest of the series. First of all, no map. As someone with a defective sense of direction, that's a deal breaker right there. I need a map. Second, the limited buttons cause all kinds of control issues. It's the Link's Awakening problem- you only have two buttons (plus Start and Select, I guess), which doesn't give you a whole lot of room for missile and beam swapping, switching between normal and Power Bombs, and swapping around to different weapons. In fact, if you want to switch Beam weapons in that game you have to backtrack all the way back to where you first picked up the thing. Again, without a map. Plus I imagine you can't shoot diagonally, which is something I've just gotten too used to doing to give it up.

I just... don't think I would enjoy it. It looks too rough and the mechanics would frustrate me.

The game doesn't have power bombs, and as you said, you don't really switch between weapons outside of going between your beam and missiles, which is mapped to select and works fine.

The bigger point is that the game's not really designed around the things you're worried about. You can't switch beams without backtracking, true, but you also basically never need to because each beam is tailored to the environment in which you get it. There's no map, but the game world is also significantly more linear and segmented than other Metroid games to compensate (and Metroid II also has significantly more landmarks than the original did, which also makes navigation a lot easier).

Don't get me wrong, it's still ancient and can take some time to get used to, but it's not just Super Metroid But Older And Inferior. Metroid II is built around its limitations intelligently.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I kicked rear end at the mario tennis demo and I hope that carries on to the full game

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It turns out children are really bad at video games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kid is playing Hey! Pikmin now and it's the first Nintendo game where he's able to beat levels mostly on his own. Usually there one puzzle he has to ask the solution for a level.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

repiv posted:

Hell yeah, INSIDE is fantastic. Hopefully they can manage 60fps on Switch.

The ending (by that I mean the last part, not the actual ending scene) to that game was pure art, imo. I don't know if I ever experienced such a big WTF?! moment in a game, and couldn't even really think about it too much because I had to handle it immidiatelly. Stuff like Bioshock etc. comes to mind, but imo not as perfect as what happens in INSIDE, because it catches you completely off-guard.

tl;dr: I guess I'll buy it again for the switch simply because it's awesome and the switch is the console I use most.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

My kid is playing Hey! Pikmin now and it's the first Nintendo game where he's able to beat levels mostly on his own. Usually there one puzzle he has to ask the solution for a level.

I haven't really played a pikmin game since 1 and I'm really craving it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Srice posted:

fwiw I had the experience of getting dunked on a lot in the Splatoon 2 demo but once the full game came out it was a lot more manageable since matchmaking quickly sectioned off the people who had a ton of hours/experience in the original. I imagine it will be similar with Mario Tennis.

Matchmaking pool gets further skewed on the demos because the people very eager to try it and even aware its happening are probably going to be adept and just, more in tune with video game stuff in general

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Scrub level cross tag player here! If anyone else is scrub level and wants to have some fun and consistent matches, add me as a friend! SW-1933-1415-0904. I'm on EST time, and this is probably my first fighting game since GG X2 on PS2, but so far I'm loving it!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
me @ e3: wow nintendo didn't announce enough games for 2018, could this be a drought period?

also me: oh god gently caress gently caress how am i going to play all these drat games in june and july

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So I'm getting the vibe that Mario Tenniss's'ss'es Single Player is like Mario Golf 3DS where it's just a bunch of :effort: tournaments/challenges but with a hub.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I mean they showed a world map and everything, I guess it's just super short?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I finished hollow knight with 73% and 21 hours. Great game, well worth the £10.99. I wouldn't have been disappointed had I paid double that tbh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope that day one patch really does fix the online. I can’t buy the game until I know if it does.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Croccers posted:

So I'm getting the vibe that Mario Tenniss's'ss'es Single Player is like Mario Golf 3DS where it's just a bunch of :effort: tournaments/challenges but with a hub.

It was really jarring to go back to the 2004 or whatever Camelot Mario Golf game and see that Golf 3ds used the same exact system without the story or whatever.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope that day one patch really does fix the online. I can’t buy the game until I know if it does.

That's the other side of it too..like ok cool it's mostly multiplayer, I get that. If they can't minimize the laggy hell that were half of my matches, it's going to be an absolutely broken product.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah from what they showed at E3 it is definitely at least five worlds (one for each of the Infinity Stones?) and there is an inventory and leveling system. I didn't play this golden age of Tennis game that everyone is comparing it to but it sounds pretty robust

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Austin Walker said that that the leveling system is a +1 to a random stat each time you level. Which definitely makes the mechanic sound a bit more cosmetic than anything else.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Odd Mutant posted:

me @ e3: wow nintendo didn't announce enough games for 2018, could this be a drought period?

also me: oh god gently caress gently caress how am i going to play all these drat games in june and july

The funniest thing about E3 was people Nintendooming because their fall and winter line up means the Switch won’t sell in the holiday season as if the already incredible catalog of games it already has can’t be purchased anymore at that point

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
People who care about how well the switch is selling are super weird dudes and dudettes, probably the kind of person I avoid irl

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the Darkest Dungeon description. It sounds like there’s a constant progression regardless of dungeon success which is nice. I don’t like punishing games that don’t have some kind of forward momentum. But then I heard there’s a timer. I don’t like timers in non sports games ever. Is there a way to not play with that?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The funniest thing about E3 was people Nintendooming because their fall and winter line up means the Switch won’t sell in the holiday season as if the already incredible catalog of games it already has can’t be purchased anymore at that point

I mean, other platforms also have strong catalogs but are also actually putting out more then one big title in the coming months? Having something new making headlines helps sell systems, no doubt Smash will do just that, but I can see why people are feeling cool after we just had a year where we got a Zelda and a Mario.

I'm a bit cynical towards the doom and gloom, but it is a bit of a bummer Nintnedo doesn't anything more for the near term outside of Smash that particularly interests me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah as a lover of Vita I came in expecting and wanting Port-landia (heh) so I'm insanely happy with switch right now. More botw or Mario Odyssey quality expreriences would be magical

Less sports/party games and more amazing single player experiences, please!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The funniest thing about E3 was people Nintendooming because their fall and winter line up means the Switch won’t sell in the holiday season

But the fall and winter line up is going to sell the switch like crazy because Smash, Mario Party, and Pokemon :confused:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks for the Darkest Dungeon description. It sounds like there’s a constant progression regardless of dungeon success which is nice. I don’t like punishing games that don’t have some kind of forward momentum. But then I heard there’s a timer. I don’t like timers in non sports games ever. Is there a way to not play with that?

The timer is only on the hardest difficulty. Don't play that one.

I suggest playing on the easiest difficulty because it doesn't change much of the actual dungeon crawling and just has some tweaks to make the overall game progress go a bit faster.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Edit ^^^^^^^^^^^

Also be aware of DD's control scheme which is just awful in every way and baffling that developers thought "this is a good way to play". Don't let it turn you off if you are really interested but something to factor in.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

It was really jarring to go back to the 2004 or whatever Camelot Mario Golf game and see that Golf 3ds used the same exact system without the story or whatever.
That's what hurt me the most with 3DS golf. Why bother with the clubhouse and showing it all off then like... just using it is a gloried menu? :(
Golf Story did it right.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Regy Rusty posted:

The timer is only on the hardest difficulty. Don't play that one.

I suggest playing on the easiest difficulty because it doesn't change much of the actual dungeon crawling and just has some tweaks to make the overall game progress go a bit faster.

Kvlt! posted:

Edit ^^^^^^^^^^^

Also be aware of DD's control scheme which is just awful in every way and baffling that developers thought "this is a good way to play". Don't let it turn you off if you are really interested but something to factor in.

Oh nice! I rarely mess with hard difficulties in games so I’m all set. Anything I should know about the other difficulties? Easy is sounding right.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I've seen the control scheme sentiment a lot, and I don't really understand it. Maybe because Switch is the only way I ever played DD, but it just kinda clicks for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I picked up the Paladins Founder Pack and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I wish it crashed less, since it takes a while to load. I've crashed in the middle of an ongoing game 3-4 times now, only to have the game be over by the time it loads back in.

Also, it has made me realize how painful it is to play an FPS with any sort of skill with the joycons. I can barely hit poo poo. Fortunately for me, nobody else on my team can either. :smith:

I really like paladins as well, and in playing it, my counter to my bad aim is to play as the little gremlin guy who rides in the mech (basically DVA from Overwatch). The mechs guns have a small windup time, so I aim in the general direction as I pull the trigger to start the windup, then during the windup I fine tune my aim, hopefully with the target in the crosshairs as the gun hits full throttle.

Works well so far, and I’ll say it again to the thread. If you like Overwatch and wish it was on Switch, check out paladins.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVGpl7kmH-o

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the topic of DD, I read somewhere that it's a bad idea to enable the Crimson Court DLC and that it screws up the early game or something but uh... I had already enabled it. Did I screw myself?

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I've seen the control scheme sentiment a lot, and I don't really understand it. Maybe because Switch is the only way I ever played DD, but it just kinda clicks for me.
It's a confusing mess of modifier buttons and context sensitivity. Even something as simple as "confirm" can have three different buttons depending on what menu you are currently in.

It could have been simplified so much.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

While we're on the topic of DD, I read somewhere that it's a bad idea to enable the Crimson Court DLC and that it screws up the early game or something but uh... I had already enabled it. Did I screw myself?

It's a confusing mess of modifier buttons and context sensitivity. Even something as simple as "confirm" can have three different buttons depending on what menu you are currently in.

It could have been simplified so much.

Just avoid the Courtyard dungeons and related quests for awhile.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

do not enable the Crimson Court DLC until MUCH later. If you turn it on in your first run of the game or even early in your playthrough, it can and will gently caress you up.
Also to add to the "optimal characters" opinion: I honestly think all the characters are Good and Viable in a multitude of formations. except for the Jester who is a loving waste.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But the fall and winter line up is going to sell the switch like crazy because Smash, Mario Party, and Pokemon :confused:

Yeah exactly. The topseller list of games on Amazon has been Pokemon Go forever and now Smash as No.1. Anyone thinking Nintendo is gonna have a pitiful holiday is insane because that poo poo is going to make bank the same way Mario/Zelda did.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I have some Hollow Knight questions but I don't want to find a dedicated thread for fear of spoilers. I think I'm over halfway through the game but I know I'm missing at least one movement ability double jump.

1) Is there a charm that helps with healing, specifically in mid-air? I've been banging my head again the last match in the coliseum and the farthest I got involves a lot of fighting in the air. I only got there once, so maybe I can just power through, but if there's something I'm missing that I should get and come back I might just do that. I have the third nail upgrade and am using the Nailmaster, Thorns, Quick Charge, and the charm that increases Soul gained from attacks. With 7 hearts and two extra Soul containers

2) The Switch version includes all the DLC, right? How is that accessed?

3) Have I missed the pass for the tramways?

Extra details: I've killed one dreamer, the one in Deepnest, and have the Crystal Heart so I'm pretty sure I can get to the one in the Fog area. Not sure yet how to get to the scholar in the "tower overlooking the city" but I bet I need the double jump first.

Really, really liking the game but I've spent maybe an hour in the coliseum. I just need a push to tell me if the climb is worth the effort or if I should come back.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

normally I don't care but man some of these Mario Tennis reviews are just "im so bad at this game so it's bad" though the best take so far was the Kotaku "review" where the writer said he retreated back to Dark Souls after being overwhelmed by Mario Tennis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

DLC Inc posted:

normally I don't care but man some of these Mario Tennis reviews are just "im so bad at this game so it's bad" though the best take so far was the Kotaku "review" where the writer said he retreated back to Dark Souls after being overwhelmed by Mario Tennis

jfc

• Locked thread