Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/WBUR/status/1009125910300119040

quote:

Pills with embedded sensors mark a new era in digital health and, I believe, herald the arrival of a new kind of digital cyborg identity, which sociologist Deborah Lupton defines as “the body that is enhanced, augmented or in other ways configured by its use of digital media technologies.” Drugs are cybernetic technologies in that we absorb pharmaceuticals through metabolic processes that biochemically recode our brains and bodies.

The figure of the cyborg helps us recognize the potential of digital health technologies for enhancing human health, while at the same time critique how the practices of digital health can work to coerce, marginalize or transform individual people and entire social groups. In my view, having pills that connect us to our doctor and pharmaceutical companies via an app is dehumanizing and reduces patients’ psychic lives to a digital readout.

The sensor, made up of copper, magnesium and silicon, functions like a battery by releasing an electric signal when it has reached the acid in your stomach. The signal sends information about the date and time you took the pill, blood pressure, temperature and level of activity to an adhesive patch worn on the skin. The patch relays this data to your smartphone app, into which users can add their self-reported mental health data about how they are feeling. Users consent to allow their doctor and up to four other caretakers to view their digital pill data, which resides in a cloud-based system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Tesla CEO: New “tent” assembly line is “way better” than conventional factory

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

HorrificExistence posted:

it helps that goodsprings looks really close to how it did in game, down to specific houses and store fronts

boston on the other hand felt like you were playing in a game designed by someone who read the wikipedia page about boston and knew nothing else about the new england landscape.

Whoa, you're telling me a Bethesda-designed Fallout is sloppier and stupider than an Obsidian-designed Fallout in some way?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/mental_floss/status/1009358448369307648

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

You can run but you can't hide

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm glad to see this tech is finally getting commercialized so people will stop denying it exists. Defense contractors have been selling this capacity for years.

Although the gimmick of saying the "AI can see through walls" when it is using radio data to track you is a great grift.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
was the demo of reconstructing audio from video only posted here?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Terahertz imaging has been a thing for a while as well

i think most people who view technology only at a consumer gadgets level have no idea just how advanced a lot of poo poo is these days, and hiw rapidly its advancing, especially in biotech

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I see you; a thief on the roof. My new satellite link has both infrared and the x-ray spectrum. I see your heart beating. I see you are afraid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From 2016:
https://www.securityweek.com/researchers-use-wifi-signals-read-keystrokes

You can read everything that's being typed on a computer keyboard by watching for fluctuations in the strength of the wireless internet passing through the hands.

quote:

In their setup, researchers used two Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Wi-Fi devices: a sender (a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND WiFi router) and a receiver (a Lenovo X200 laptop). The sender continuously emits signals and the receiver continuously receives signals, while WiKey monitors the CSI values.

Wi-Fi IconAccording to the researchers, their system can achieve a detection rate of over 97.5% for keystrokes, and an accuracy of more than 96.4% when classifying single keys. Furthermore, researchers claim that, in real-world experiments, the WiKey system “can recognize keystrokes in a continuously typed sentence with an accuracy of 93.5%.”

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

just gently caress everything

let the robots take over so we can overthrow the robots and get this technology poo poo out of our system

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have a friend who's working in advanced radar or something that has a prototype laser gun that can image building interiors in real time 3D from the exterior, and is even able to detect heartbeats.

He claims it's going to used by the firefighters to find people in burning buildings, but I think that's just what he tells himself to sooth his conscience.

Edit, I think it's something like this: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/960/1/012023/meta

Necrothatcher has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Jun 21, 2018

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

glad she is dead posted:

I have a friend who's working in advanced radar or something that has a prototype laser gun that can image building interiors in real time 3D from the exterior, and is even able to detect heartbeats.

He claims it's going to used by the firefighters to find people in burning buildings, but I think that's just what he tells himself to sooth his conscience.

Edit, I think it's something like this: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/960/1/012023/meta

they always think they're going to help firefighters, but they really just make weapons for cops to use against us

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

glad she is dead posted:

I'm sure it'll be used by firefighters. Its the other people that'll use that are more concerning.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Virgin AI tracking vs Chad physical movement

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MizPiz posted:

drat

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

MizPiz posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MizPiz posted:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

MizPiz posted:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://idiallo.com/blog/when-a-machine-fired-me

quote:

Once the order for employee termination is put in, the system takes over. All the necessary orders are sent automatically and each order completion triggers another order. For example, when the order for disabling my key card is sent, there is no way of it to be re-enabled. Once it is disabled, an email is sent to security about recently dismissed employees. Scanning the key card is a red flag. The order to disable my Windows account is also sent. There is also one for my JIRA account. And on and on. There is no way to stop the multi-day long process. I had to be rehired as a new employee. Meaning I had to fill up paperwork, set up direct deposit, wait for Fedex to ship a new key card.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

At first I thought this was an excerpt from that dystopian story about AI managers taking over.

Edit: found it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MizPiz posted:

:perfect:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
not specifically cyberpunk but my best friend's mom, an only child who lived with his mom and works a lovely retail job (because millennial), was diagnosed with really late stage cancer and I was hoping for his sake that she passed quickly because I was worried that the medical bills would pile up and he would have to lose the house, basically the only significant thing in his inheritance. She died last night after doctors told her they thought she had maybe a month left and they were prepping for hospice.

Literally cheering for a swift death.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

No that's pretty cyberpunk

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Uranium Phoenix posted:

At first I thought this was an excerpt from that dystopian story about AI managers taking over.

Wait, this is the same story where the lucky few are then admitted to libertarian free sex utopia? And get an augmented reality implant at the base of their spine for some loving reason

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Just in case people aren't aware, almost everything in that first chapter has been a reality since the 90s and has become the norm in warehouses around the world in the mid 2000s

I'm trying to find articles about voice-directed warehousing in english but google only recommends articles and videos by the companies (and their shills) who love that technology because it increases productivity. I can think of this documentary in which they plant a mole in a Lidl warehouse to see how the technology works on the ground and ask employees about their working conditions (starting at about 18:20) but it's in french unfortunately. Even without understanding the language, the "a day in the life of a warehouse worker" part should give you an idea how terrible it is to have a robotic voice barking orders at you all day.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Jun 21, 2018

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

hackbunny posted:

Wait, this is the same story where the lucky few are then admitted to libertarian free sex utopia? And get an augmented reality implant at the base of their spine for some loving reason

I dunno, I think back when I read it it was a short story and it ended with the AI subjecting all workers to eternal work-hell and everyone who wouldn't slave away into untouchable poors with no recourse who would be slowly genocided away

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
E wrong thread

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

In other news, doctors used to think cocaine was a miracle drug to cure patients from their heroin addiction.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Pokémon Go To The Doctor

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Holy poo poo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

In other news, doctors used to think cocaine was a miracle drug to cure patients from their heroin addiction.

And heroin is a really effective cure for coughing (imagine a society where it's more polite to tie your arm and shoot up than to cough). Shame about those pesky side effects.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

MizPiz posted:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I sat through a presentation from a robotics manufacturer who was super loving excited about how many jobs his robots would eliminate

Each robot arm removes 6-8 workers!

Robots don't need heat!
Robots don't need AC!
Robots don't need water!
Robots don't need smoke breaks!
Robots don't need time off!
Robots don't get injured!
Robots can work 24/7
Robots need our love

Guy was Futurama 80s business guy too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I sat through a presentation from a robotics manufacturer who was super loving excited about how many jobs his robots would eliminate

Each robot arm removes 6-8 workers!

Robots don't need heat!
Robots don't need AC!
Robots don't need water!
Robots don't need smoke breaks!
Robots don't need time off!
Robots don't get injured!
Robots can work 24/7
Robots need our love

Guy was Futurama 80s business guy too

The funny thing is that its all untrue. Robots need heat/AC to stay within their operating range, throw water in with AC, robots should probably take a break if they're smoking, robots need routine maintenance that takes them offline. Robots will absolutely break or break things requiring maintenance. I guess they can work 24/7 if you put those restraints on them.

Robots probably don't want our love, see Westworld.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'd still rather have a robot mopping floors or restocking cans than me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this isnt exactly an original thought, but seriously its impressive how we hosed up so badly that robots doing all the work is actually a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

glad she is dead posted:

lmao

as if fire departments could afford it, let alone new engines